ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

DIY: Installing Pazzo Adjustable Levers

We've had pictures of the levers online, but no DIY that I could find, so I thought I'd post one up for everyone. This is for the installation of the long levers. I debated about getting the shorties, but after hearing how short they really were, I decided to go with these.

First part is to gather the tools that you'll need.
You need both an 8 mm socket for the nut on the bottom of the pivot bolt for the clutch lever, and a 10 mm socket for the top of the pivot bolt on both levers, and for the lock nut on the bottom side of the brake lever. You will also need some silicone grease, a torque wrench, and of course the levers!

I started with the brake side. First remove the lock nut from the bottom and then loosen and remove the pivot bolt. The lever will slide right out and you can slip the new lever in its place. You will then slip in the pivot bolt and nut and tighten it to 52 inch-pounds of torque.

That's what it looks like when it's put together , just imagine that it's actually in the holder for the full effect

The clutch side is a little more complicated with the clutch cable installed. First remove the nut from the bottom of the pivot bolt using the 8 mm socket. Then you should loosen the knurled locknut (larger clutch nut) by turning it towards the rear cowling. You want to screw in the adjuster towards the lever to give it as much play as possible. Once it is all the way in, align the slots in the knurled locknut and the adjuster nut with the slot in the backside of the lever. I found that it was easier to lift the lever off and flip it over, then do this.

Slide the end of the cable into the opening on the pazzo lever, and then slide the lever into place and replace the pivot bolt. This pivot nut does not have a torque spec.

Here is a comparison on the clutch side so you can see the difference in stock and the #6 position on the pazzos. I didn't think to do a comparison on the brake side, so there's just the after pic.

And the brake side:

There are more pics available here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nochecal...eat=directlink

And lastly, here are some pics of the levers installed

(I'm not sure why the top of my windscreen looks blue - it's not, really!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Installing Pazzo Adjustable Levers - ninjette.org.pdf (5.86 MB, 44 views)
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
noche_caliente

Since you'll have the end of the clutch cable off anyway, this is the perfect time to clean and lube the clutch cable!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10016

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
kkim

cool DIY...

so, how do they feel in comparison to the stock levers?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great DIY! Added to the DIY index thread...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #5
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Yes, how do they feel??

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #6
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thanks for the write up!! I am looking to get the shorties but saw some today on a 1400 and yikes they are short.

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #7
noche_caliente

They are amazing from what I can tell so far - I just put them on Friday night and it's been raining here, so I haven't had a chance to take her out yet - I will update when I get to ride more- but as you can hopefully tell fro the pics, it's a world of difference in terms of how much of my hand I can get around the lever - it doesn't seem quite as painful or difficult for me to securely grab on- especially on the clutch side - 2 thumbs up!

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #8
kkim

it was painful for you to grab the stock lever?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
noche_caliente

after I rode I would have the ligaments in my thumb flaring up - I have issues with them called gamekeepers thumb - basically it was straining the ligaments in my thumb when I was reaching out that far and trying to keep a hold on the handlebar as well
The first time I rode, I couldn't write the next day because of it... this seems to be a very large improvement so far

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Nice DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
(I'm not sure why the top of my windscreen looks blue - it's not, really!)
Your levers look blue too
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #11
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Nice DIY Kim - not sure I'll ever change mine but if I do and now know how to do it.

Thanks

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #12
watcanido
ninjette.org member

Name: Jhaqui

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Damn it! another mod I want to do. lol very nice looking levers and thanks for the DIY. question, is #6 the lowest setting on these or can they go lower?
watcanido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcanido View Post
Damn it! another mod I want to do. lol very nice looking levers and thanks for the DIY. question, is #6 the lowest setting on these or can they go lower?
#6 is the widest position and farthest away from the grip. #1 is the lowest and very close to the grip.

I put on a set and like them a lot, but would not recommend going below #3 for the brake lever. If you shorten the throw too much, you don't have enough distance to fully engage the brake because you will squeeze the lever into the grip before the brake is fully engaged as in a full on emergency stop. I also found myself squashing my fingers at #2 because I brake with two fingers rather than all of them. Just a warning that closer is not necessarily better.

Last futzed with by Ichiro; May 16th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

I have had Pazzo's on my last 3 motorcycles. Pazzo Shorty's. I LOVE them and will continue to put them on every bike I own. CRG makes a nice lever too. The levers feel great, look great and everyone notices them when they get up close to the bike. Its a touch of class with some functionality in it. Great mod!
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #15
py2e
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BLACK Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just got these installed! Great DIY! Thank you!

Old May 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #16
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I'm considering the Cycle Control ones which are due out in a couple of weeks - they look pretty similar... (Anyone have experince of their levers on other bikes??)

After riding to work and back (lots of slow speed stuff in traffic) with the stock clutch I get sore thunb ligaments too... I've got quite small hands and it really looks as though these will help!

Nice DIY Kim

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #17
noche_caliente

Thanks guys- glad it can help

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #18
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
#6 is the widest position and farthest away from the grip. #1 is the lowest and very close to the grip.

I put on a set and like them a lot, but would not recommend going below #3 for the brake lever. If you shorten the throw too much, you don't have enough distance to fully engage the brake because you will squeeze the lever into the grip before the brake is fully engaged as in a full on emergency stop. I also found myself squashing my fingers at #2 because I brake with two fingers rather than all of them. Just a warning that closer is not necessarily better.
This is especially true if you're using stock rubber brake lines. #3 is about as close to the grip as you can safely go and still be able to apply full brake, but with the stock rubber lines, it's marginal. I found that #3 was comfortable, but #4 gave me the most confidence.

A change to Galfer braided lines, with no flex, and #3 is not only comfortable, but offers more brake force than #4 and rubber lines.

For the clutch, on my bike, #3 is the most comfortable to me. I found that position 1 and 2 for the clutch was not enough travel to ensure that the clutch was fully disengaged.

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #19
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Old June 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #20
noche_caliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
This is especially true if you're using stock rubber brake lines. #3 is about as close to the grip as you can safely go and still be able to apply full brake, but with the stock rubber lines, it's marginal. I found that #3 was comfortable, but #4 gave me the most confidence.

A change to Galfer braided lines, with no flex, and #3 is not only comfortable, but offers more brake force than #4 and rubber lines.

For the clutch, on my bike, #3 is the most comfortable to me. I found that position 1 and 2 for the clutch was not enough travel to ensure that the clutch was fully disengaged.
I can dial mine all the way in and don't have any trouble with them not being fully engaged - I wonder what the difference is?

Old June 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #21
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
I can dial mine all the way in and don't have any trouble with them not being fully engaged - I wonder what the difference is?
The primary difference, I guess, is that I have Progrip gel replacement grips, which are about 1/16 inch thicker than the stock ones, so that contributes to feel somewhat. I never tried the Pazzos with stock grips, since I had already changed them out before they arrived.

In any case, even then with the clutch, using #1 position the clutch is still grabbing just a little bit with the lever against the grip. #3 just feels, to me, like I'm sure the clutch is fully disengaged.

As for the brake, for me, anything lower than #3 and it hits the grip before it feels like 100% brake, and in traffic like I have, I like a little more confidence than 'lever at the grip' for my own peace of mind. #2 and 100% is at the grip with nothing extra, and #1 just never felt like the same authority on the brakes as #2 or above.

Several other guys in my area have Pazzos on their 250s, too. It must be a guy thing. We all seem to have settled on #3.

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #22
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get the Pazzo?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #23
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Anyone know where's the cheapest place to get the Pazzo?
Click here for where I got mine I think Pazzo has a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price), and that seems to be universally $179 for any combination you want.

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #24
noche_caliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
The primary difference, I guess, is that I have Progrip gel replacement grips, which are about 1/16 inch thicker than the stock ones, so that contributes to feel somewhat. I never tried the Pazzos with stock grips, since I had already changed them out before they arrived.

In any case, even then with the clutch, using #1 position the clutch is still grabbing just a little bit with the lever against the grip. #3 just feels, to me, like I'm sure the clutch is fully disengaged.

As for the brake, for me, anything lower than #3 and it hits the grip before it feels like 100% brake, and in traffic like I have, I like a little more confidence than 'lever at the grip' for my own peace of mind. #2 and 100% is at the grip with nothing extra, and #1 just never felt like the same authority on the brakes as #2 or above.

Several other guys in my area have Pazzos on their 250s, too. It must be a guy thing. We all seem to have settled on #3.
With the brake especially, I can pull the lever as far back as it will go, and it still doesn't touch the grip - maybe because mine likely has less miles on her?

Old June 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #25
HKr1
IC2(SW)

^ We have the same pro-grips. Setting #1 on the brake doesnt hit the grip, doesnt even come close. We run it on #2, it will just hit our small fingers in there if we pull real hard.

The clutch we run on #2 also. Althou we had to file the tip of the clutch switch, so it would start in gear with it on setting #1 or 2

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #26
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
With the brake especially, I can pull the lever as far back as it will go, and it still doesn't touch the grip - maybe because mine likely has less miles on her?
OK, I went back and actually LOOKED at it and you're right. Even on #1 it doesn't touch the grips. It FEELS like it touches the grips with my hands, but looking at it, it does not touch. I guess that's what I get for having long, thin fingers and palms!

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #27
azia
ninjette.org member

Name: Lindsay

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

just have to come on here and say that I !@#$kin LOVE these!!! i got the green shorties and they are perfect! i can grab the clutch and breaks with full hands even with the shorts...lol.

i have both clutch and break on setting 1. on clutch i thought 1 would be too tight so i was using 2, then i realize it was just a matter of getting used to it. i can now actually signal right when the clutch is engaged. still can't do a left but oh well! better than nothing.
azia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #28
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Installed my Pazzo levers this evening and they feel so good! So far position five is just right.

Had something weird happening when installing the clutch lever I thought I'd post here if anyone has any ideas... I lubed the clutch cable and put the lever in the perch and re-installed the pivot bolt. When I pulled the clutch lever for the first time I heard a pop from the other side of the bike and when I looked, the end of the clutch cable had come off of the arm that it anchors to.

It seemed like I didn't have any cable slack at all, so having already backed out the adjuster at the lever end, I backed out the adjuster at the other end to get the cable back into the arm, reset the adjusters at both ends and then re-tensioned the clutch cable successfully.

The three weird things:

1. The clutch cable popping out, where did the slack go?
2. When I was manipulating the arm it was pretty easy to slide it almost all the way out of the clutch case, is that normal or did I break something inside?
3. Is it normal for the cable to pop out at the engine-end like this if there isn't enough slack?

Again, after a ride everything feels and works fine and I triple-checked everywhere to make sure I didn't miss anything, gonna bring this up with the dealer when I go in for the 1000km service.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #29
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zail View Post
I'm considering the Cycle Control ones which are due out in a couple of weeks - they look pretty similar... (Anyone have experince of their levers on other bikes??)
I just installed the Cycle Control Shorty's. Awesome! Although I can't compare them to Pazzos funcionallity, I like the look a little better + they are on sale till the end of the month at the CC website.

Only difference in installation I found was that you have to remove the electrical housing on the to get the CC clutch lever to fit. Getting that thing back together with the choke cable can be a bitch.

Old August 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #30
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyOne View Post

Only difference in installation I found was that you have to remove the electrical housing on the to get the CC clutch lever to fit. Getting that thing back together with the choke cable can be a bitch.
Why did you have to do that?

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #31
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I am curious too. I had to loosen the clutch lever perch and slide it on the bar a little to get enough clearance for the lever install and tools but the housing?
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #32
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I thought it would be easier than moving the lever mount but when I loosened the two screws the thing blew up on me! Lots of little parts to align.

Old September 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #33
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
You will then slip in the pivot bolt and nut and tighten it to 52 inch-pounds of torque.
Make sure you're applying pressure to the nut and not the bolt (which is only rated to 9 in/lb). Have your torque wrench on the bolt as you tighten and it'll break well before 52 in/lb... Doh!
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #34
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Got any pictures of the installed Cycle Control levers?
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #35
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i looooove these levers....i originally ordered the long ones too because i cover the clutch while riding and i am used to resting all 4 fingers on the clutch lever...when i got them in i changed my mind and sent them back for the shorties...sooooo glad i did...i love being able to use 1 finger...especially on the break....thanks for the diy!!!
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #36
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I just got some Cycle Control levers for my pregen, and it's very interesting... They look exactly like the pazzos, except they have 7 adjustment options instead of 6.... Wonder why? Oh, and just in case someone was wondering, I bought the Ninja 500 levers and a new clutch perch. They work great, but they're also A LOT closer to the bar than the new gen ones. Like closest is about an inch away! Completely pointless if you want to fit your hand through, but I generally ride covering the clutch anyway, so it doesn't make much difference on that side. It still disengages all the way, so what does it matter right?

Old October 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #37
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Question: Are you guys getting the Pazzo/Cycle Control levers because you have small hands and they're more comfortable or for aesthetics? Or maybe a combination of the two? I ask b/c I love they way they look and am considering purchasing a set. I was just curious as to everyon'e reasoning behind their purchase. I am a slow purchaser - meaning I mull things over for a while before I make a decision. I JUST bought the no-cut brake modulator from Randall and installed it this weekend. (shame, I know) (LOVE it by the way).

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #38
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
Question: Are you guys getting the Pazzo/Cycle Control levers because you have small hands and they're more comfortable or for aesthetics?
For me, it's because of small hands. My stock clutch lever would engage just far enough out that it was right at the flex point of my second knuckle, and it was very difficult for me to use the clutch with repeatable effort - sometimes i'd be smooth but it would very often jerk as my knuckles straightened out.

The shorty Cycle Control lever fixed that problem for me, so now I get through the friction zone with the force on the strong parts of my fingers, rather than trying to control the lever with just my fingertips. I also mounted the lever about 1/4" closer to the fork, so I can comfortably use only my index and middle fingers on the clutch and keep my ring and pinky on the bar.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #39
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Hmmm.....thanks Steve. I'll have to take note of how my levers are working for me. I am tall so I don't have small hands. If nothing else though, I would like the Pazzos for the color match though.

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #40
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Look good, Feel good, and are great for peeps with small hands.