ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Area P Quiet Module Install

I received this in the mail a few days ago and got around to installing this today. The module was generously supplied to me by Kerry Bryant of Area P for testing and evaluation on the Area P Quiet core exhaust I have on my bike.

First, I'd like to thank Kerry for letting me play with this thing. It's a credit to him and Area P that he would even offer to let me evaluate this product. He has no idea what the feedback I will give, good or bad, but was willing to put it out there for all to see my results. How's that for having confidence in your product?

For those wanting some background on this module, read this.... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16772

So the package arrives and this is what is included. The module with insert already installed, a spare O ring, a nifty AP sticker and 4 pages of instructions!! Wait... 4 pages of instructions?? to install essentially what is a plug for the end of the exhaust? To be fair, 3 of those pages are installation pictures, but the first page is chock full of info that you should read.

So like the noob that I am, I totally ignore reading the first page of the instructions and glance over the install pics... duhhh... pretty pics!!

So, out to the garage, put the bike up on the rear stand and begin.

First thing is to test fit the unit to make sure it will slip into the end of the exhaust. Remove the bolt from the larger end of the unit and stick it in the end to test fit.

Like the idiot that I am, I try as many configurations as possible and finally end up pushing the module so deep into the exhaust, it doesn't want to come back out no matter how hard I try pulling it back out.

I take a break at this point and go inside and read the instructions. After much jiggling and twisting and pulling, I finally get the module back out!! !! No fault of the AP module... blame "operator error"!!

After playing around some more with installation placement, this is what I decide.

Once you decide where you want the module located, you need to drill one hole to mount the module to the exhaust. I decided to have the bolt go up through the bottom of the exhaust into the module. The measurement from the transition "shoulder" on the module to the center of the hole measure 1/2", so I marked and center punched the exhaust on the bottom of the exhaust "tail".

Drill a small pilot hole using the punch mark to guide you. The instructions warn to use a bit in good shape as the stainless they use is pretty hard. Take their word for it and use a sharp bit. Mine was pretty new and it still had a hard time getting through.

Then drill the proper sized hole (exact size is in the instructions) and deburr.

All that's left is to install the module and tighten up the bolt.

I did not test ride the bike after the install, but I did start it up and ride it up and down my driveway.

With the module installed w/o the quiet insert, the bike sounded about the same as without... perhaps just a tad quieter.

With the module installed and the quiet insert installed also, the bike is much quieter at idle. When revved, it doesn't have the "rasp" it does w/o the insert. The short drive up and down my driveway also revealed a bit of improvement at the bottom end as take off with the bike was a bit smoother than without. I've suspected my bike has been a bit lean in the idle circuit, so perhaps the added restriction of the insert richened out the mixture enough so it felt better at the lower revs. In any case, I'll see how it hampers the upper rpm jetting/power when I take it to work next.

Final verdict? I like it!!! First off, the quality of workmanship of this piece is jewel like... much as every other component I have received from AP. They set a standard that is difficult to match or exceed. Is it over engineered? I think so, but like very other AP product, I'm sure there are reasons they did what they did... I'm no exhaust design expert to say otherwise. Does it do what they say it does? Most definitely.

I'm not one that likes loud exhausts. I own a quiet core exhaust from AP because they had the quietest exhaust made for our bikes when I was shopping. To this day, I don't think anyone else makes a quieter aftermarket exhaust. Saying that, the quiet core system was still a tad loud for me at times. With this insert module installed, sound output has been reduced so much, I think I can live with it at this level. I'll try a few things to make it breathe a bit better if the jetting is screwed up because of the additional back pressure and reduced flow rate this must present.

For those that have the regular 12" AP can on their bikes and think it might be too loud, this is a great solution to quieting the bike and living with your present setup.

Thank you, Kerry.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Great DIY. So are you going to keep this module in for good? As for the stickers, what are you going to do with them?

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
kkim

I like the sound level, but I still need to run the bike hard and see how much it cuts the power and how much the jetting might need to be leaned to get it to work.

sorry, stickers go on my toolbox!

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Sounds like yet another amazing product from AP! Must say though, I never really liked the look of the protruding endcap, and this makes it look a little worse! I like the idea though! Hey Kerry! You might consider making a version of this that you can attach (somehow, not sure how, but the tech is your thing not mine! ) to the flat cap! I'd love the exhaust I get from you guys with a flat cap to be even quieter. If not, that's fine. Just thought I'd suggest it! Again, good work to all and great DIY.

GO AP!!!

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

excellent coverage as usual mr. kkim.

gonna be looking forward to sunday's ride to see how sound and performance levels have been affected....from my perspective anyway!

k-den!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #6
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Wow, Kelly. No flies on you. One day I'm reading about the nozzle and the next you're installing and testing it on your bike! Interesting stuff, but as I've stated before I'm one of the people who actually likes the "noise" from my standard 12-incher. Good write up though and excellent pics as always.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #7
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Name: TBoz

Motorcycle(s): Nothing

I do not have pics of my setup but will add my two cents to this product. I ordered it last friday, shipped the same day, and showed up the next day (I live locally to Area P)...awesome and yay for fast delivery!

When I read this thread, I was surprised to find that Kelly and I both seemed to have decided on the same position to mount the insert. I also chose to slide it in just up to the shoulder so that it almost seems flush, as opposed to sliding the insert into the exhaust further as Area P did in their pics.

Moving on to my impressions: I can agree with Kelly that at idle, it is very quiet when compared to without the module. When on the throttle, it does seem a bit quieter, although it still sounds like an aftermarket exhaust as it should, its definitely quieter and does not have as much of the raspy tone. I love aftermarket exhaust but I cant stand the unbearably loud or raspy ones that just resonate in my ears. This module seems to give me the best of both worlds and Im happy with it for sure.

FYI: Ive got the 12" can.
1hardryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #8
kkim

Tboz... do you wear earplugs? if not you should, no matter what exhaust you have on the bike.

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Ive got some but no, never worn them while riding. I might start to do this.

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #10
miks
I'm lovin' it.

You should, its not the bike noises that damage your hearings, its the wind! So plug up mate

Old April 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Must say though, I never really liked the look of the protruding endcap, and this makes it look a little worse! I like the idea though!
I like the idea, too. Quiet bikes rule. (sorry, Wayne )

But I agree that aesthetics plays a large role in what people put on their bikes. For me, if it works and I can integrate this into my bike, I'd like to keep it.

I do have some ideas on how this could be made to mount just inside the endcap without anything protruding and would be happy to share my ideas with Kerry if he's looking for suggestions. I have no idea if it would screw up some sort of exhaust tuning dynamic he has going on, but from what I see, this could easily be retooled to fit inside the protruding type end cap.

Old April 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #12
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
You should, its not the bike noises that damage your hearings, its the wind! So plug up mate
I seem to be reading more lately about the effects of wind noise on biker's hearing. I already have slight hearing loss in my left ear caused by decades of driving my car on the highway with the window down. Hard to believe that wind noise would effect your hearing so dramatically, but it certainly does. I'm popping some foam earplugs in on my next ride and hope to make it a habit. I wasn't big on knee protection for years either - until I lowsided and had to have a knee operation. I now realize that in most things motorcycle prevention is the key!

Old April 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #13
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I like the idea, too. Quiet bikes rule. (sorry, Wayne )

But I agree that aesthetics plays a large role in what people put on their bikes. For me, if it works and I can integrate this into my bike, I'd like to keep it.

I do have some ideas on how this could be made to mount just inside the endcap without anything protruding and would be happy to share my ideas with Kerry if he's looking for suggestions. I have no idea if it would screw up some sort of exhaust tuning dynamic he has going on, but from what I see, this could easily be retooled to fit inside the protruding type end cap.
Very well articulated as usual. And we appreciate the words. I enjoy reading your "DIY" dribbles regardless of what the product is.

We actually have many different designs to this - two piece end caps, retro fit bolt on end caps, etc, etc,... The goal was to make something resonable easy to install without having to remove the end cap assembly. Anything else requires a completely new end cap assembly and the expense rises dramatically. The other issue is what we call "wave refraction". In this particular design, we want the additional sound attenuator to be located as far toward the exit (atmospheric pressure) as possible so that it does not affect the performance as much. Since the D.E.I. is based more on attenuating sound through restriction more than the core and muffler body (which is more based on volume through absorption of sound pressure waves), it must be kept as far downstream as possible. If you located it any further inside the core area, performance and overall tuned length would be changed (lost) and additional back pressure created. Backpressure can be both your friend and enemy when it comes to wave tuning.

Even after more than 30 years of exhaust designing for almost every kind of internal combustion engine on the planet, it is still nearly impossible to come up with the "perfect" combination. It's always about compromise; whether it be style, fitment, weight, complexity, expense, etc, etc... Those of us who may think we are "experts", are still searching for the end all "perfect" exhaust system....

Ok enough techno-babble - So now look, if you really want to come on board as a designer, we can discuss our employee exchange program. Essentially in this case, the President would be the employee being exchanged since I have a desire to see Kauai. You of course get to see SoCal. Which isn't such a bad place either...
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #14
kkim

I'd love to come on board as a designer, as long as the meetings are held on Kauai... no exchange program needed/desired!

Thanks for the explanation... I had a feeling there were good reasons, as normal with your products, for the unit to be designed as it was. As I said prior, I have no clue on exhaust engineering and there must have been good reason why you did what you did.

I'm planning to go riding tomorrow morning (perfect weather permitting ) and hope to have some additional feedback of the silencer afterward.

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

You get some new hearing aids or something? The quite core wasnt quite enough

Remember those old "snuff-or-knots"
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #16
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I figured that would be the case, but I thought I might as well try! I'm still getting an exhaust from you guys though. Can't wait until I actually have the money! Sadly, that comes after a new helmet, fiberglass front fairings, and airbrushing! Hopefully I'll have enough money for the exhaust by the end of the summer!

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #17
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Remember those old "snuff-or-knots"
no, and even after googling it, I can say I never saw that before.

Old April 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #18
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I seem to be reading more lately about the effects of wind noise on biker's hearing. I already have slight hearing loss in my left ear caused by decades of driving my car on the highway with the window down. Hard to believe that wind noise would effect your hearing so dramatically, but it certainly does. I'm popping some foam earplugs in on my next ride and hope to make it a habit. I wasn't big on knee protection for years either - until I lowsided and had to have a knee operation. I now realize that in most things motorcycle prevention is the key!
I didn't even know you could get hearing damage from the car with your window down! Thats crazy!

But, Prevention > Cure!

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #19
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
I didn't even know you could get hearing damage from the car with your window down! Thats crazy!

But, Prevention > Cure!
Like most maladys that come with age, you don't realize things like that can happen...until they do. That's what the doc suspected after they discovered the hearing loss in my left ear only. He said he sees it quite a bit, especially among cab drivers and truckers. It's a very slight loss, but the effect is cumulative over years of driving.
All those years of front row seats to Van Halen, Aerosmith and Boston and it's the car that wrecked my hearing!

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #20
ahskeetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Wen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

any feedback from the ride yet kelly?

Old April 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #21
kkim

sorry, have not ridden the bike yet. It was raining last week and this week I'm stuck at work on the east coast.

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #22
ahskeetz
ninjette.org member

really? where you working? i'm located in state college PA

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #23
kkim

I'm presently at the MIT Haystack Observatory for a technical workshop, then will be in Maryland on Friday to go "visit" with the home office.

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #24
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The Motorcycle Consumer News June 2008 test of the '08 Ninja 250R has a 0 to 60mph time of 7.72 seconds.

When I ride with my bro, I'd like to do a better job at keeping up with his '03 CBR 600RR.

What would you estimate the 0-60 acceleration would be with the Area-P Quiet exhaust with the quiet core?

Thanks!
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #25
kkim

Got to put the bike to the test today.

It idle, it is definitely quieter than the AP QC exhaust. If I'm remembering correctly, it's quite close to the sound level of the stock bike. When revved in neutral, the bike is more muted and you can tell that somethings been changed.

Starting off from a stop seems a bit easier and smoother still. Driving down the highway, the bike runs quieter as well. The power seems almost the same, but there is a bit of difference from the system w/o the tip installed. Power is still there, but seems "softer". It revs smoothly and all the way to redline w/o problem.

Get to the twisties and the first thing I notice is that the bike doesn't rev as fast through the gears going up the first long uphill, so peak torque seems like it is a bit down compared to the open system.

Get up on the flats and the bike simply hauls at the top of the rev range. I'm constantly flirting with 14K on the tach. Bike feels smooth and fast through the gears.

There may be a bit less peak HP and torque as compared to an open exhaust, but I knew going into this that something would be lost and it has. However, what was lost was minimal, in my opinion, and the bike still has way more power than a stock bike throughout the rev range and is almost as quiet. I like that.

That I didn't have to fuss with the jetting to have it run as well as it does for me is a blessing. I was envisioning fouled plugs and a temperamental powerband, but such is not the case. The bike has all of the same power characteristics as before the Quiet module, but at a slightly diminished power level.

The real benefit comes from the reduced noise level the exhaust emits and the smoothness of the power delivery.

I'll keep it as is for now and will look for solutions to potential problems that have not surfaced as of yet noted in this thread.

Kerry... another thumbs up product!

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #26
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Pic of mine installed the same as KKims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 367.jpg (55.4 KB, 8 views)

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #27
kkim

...and your impressions?

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #28
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

...and do you have the standard exhaust or quiet core?
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #29
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Its the perfect ratio of sound level and power. Still sounds like an aftermarket exhaust but not so loud that Im worried about pissing people off or attracting the 5-0.

12" muffler

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #30
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

I'm wondering if this will fit onto a Yoshi
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #31
MrTiddles
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Hm. Need to buy one of these. Like...Now.

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #32
ahskeetz
ninjette.org member

yep, i'm gonna pick one up once i get off of school.. the tip looks kinda funny sticking far out of the outlet, but i guess functionality matters more.

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #33
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

you do not have to mount your insert thing so far out, as Kkim and I did. You can slip it in further and mount it there so that it only sticks out a bit further than the original tip.