ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:40 AM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

DIY - How to Reshape Your Seat For More Comfort

I'm tired of sliding forward on my seat and constantly having to squeeze the gas tank to prevent the sliding. I did a google search a few minutes ago and found an excellent site, with a step-by-step process.

Check it out:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify.htm
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM   #2
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Excellent. I will put this to good use shortly, as soon as my spare seat arrives.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Hey you could do what ill be doing this week...
(if the 3-4days of RAIN stops, so i can ride up too STG in shelby twp, Mi.)
Im gonna head up to STG ( Sportbiketrackgear.com) they are a Local bussiness near me, with lots of Good deals on Helmets, Jackets,etc... plug plug lol
i bought my Scorpion Gear from them, and ill be getting my 2nd Helmet from them soon too!

Anyhow, doing a Goggle and i came across 2 things for Bike's TANK you might wanna look into that will Help with your Sliding! Theres these Peel and Stick Pads that you put on your Gas Tank, where your knees and 'Jewels' often Rub against, scratching your clearcoat/paint!

-Progrip Tank Protector (Resin) $16
-Stompgrip $45

The Stompgrip is a Clear flexable Pad that has lil Bumps all over it, that your knees when pressed into it, will make Cornering easier, and should keep your Butt on the Seat instead of scootting forward after a Bump,etc!
Stompgrip also, is very CLEAR... allowing you too put it right over Decals,etc... and your Decals will still be very Visable throught it!

The Progrip Tank Protector, is made of a flexable Resin, that comes in afew colors that Starts (ie:RED) on top, then Fades too a Carbon Fiber color/texture! They keep your jackets zipper/etc from rubbing and scratching your TANKs paint up! Also they LOOK COOL!

But i called STG and Stompgrip DONT make a Kit for a 08-09 250R yet... but there is the Universal Kit that will fit! (some custom trimming of your own is needed) Jeff told me to bring my Bike up there, and hell Match up a Kit n see if i can get away with using one from like a Yamaha R6 will work, on my 250R!
Im also gonna have them Match up the Right PITBULL Rear Bike stand for me! so i can do my OWN chain adjustments from now on (Dealer charged $28.50)

Well hope this helps... but yo ill let you guys know how well the Progrip and Stompgrips work out on my Bike once i get em on !!!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

i just might buy some foam and gel pads off ebay, to give me sumin to do over this Winter!!! As i really need a more comfy seat. I find myself going for more 'joy-rides' then just the often ride from and too Work,etc!

So has anyone here done this and have Pics of how things went/turned out?
Im interested in doing this as a DIY myself! Update as needed guys!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Thread revival

Well I modified my seat after reading the link posted and I figure I would share how it went since there isn't anything else to the thread. So basically to begin (I'll try to post pics in order):
1. Remove the stock seat cover by removing all the staples on the underside of the seat. I used a small flathead screwdriver and pried them out.

2. Make some sketches on the seat(try to measure to make it symmetrical). I first made a center line then sketched out how I generally want the neck of the seat to be. Then I made a line toward the rear which is where I will stop grinding down the foam to reduce pitch. Grinding is best done slightly touching the seat and then pulling toward you.

3. I grinded down the rear of the seat, the original pitch of the seat on the bike is about 7.5 degrees I reduced it to approximately 5 degrees. The lighter areas of foam show where I grinded the foam (That's all you really have to grind to reduce the pitch, some pitch is good but you can reduce it further up to you). At this point you may want to test out the seat and see how it feels, it may feel a bit better as it is.

4. Next I got an old ass piece of foam (Didn't think it was that old I shaved it up and it turned out to be white shame...), from a car shop around my town that does auto upholstery and tinting. I shaved all the old foam and made it about half the size. After this I marked the side and top of the foam so I can have a general idea of how I want to make a neck on the seat. Keep the neck in the middle and don't make it go edge to edge on your foam.

5. I then grinded it a bit then stuck it to the seat to see how I need to flatten it some more and shape it better. From the pic you can see the rear needs to get shaven a bit and the neck reduced quite a bit. So now to make a big mess of foam shavings!

6. I shaved it generally to about half of what was in the previous pic. Next I had to taper the edges so the foam flows better with the seat. (sorry I didn't take another pic of me smoothing it out more since after that I felt like getting this long ordeal done)

7. Next you want to get a thin piece of foam to cover over the entire seat and make it smooth and flowing. Note the neck on the seat (don't worry it won't be that protruding on the bike unless you want it that way). If you are wondering about that little bit of foam missing at the tip I pulled the foam down that way some more. Glue it to the seat once you get the positioning right. Trim the excess foam around the shape of the seat and you are done. Make sure to pull it tightly across the seat so you can see any irregularities in the seat.

8. Next I replaced the stock seat cover with a custom seat creations seat cover because I wanted to(check the DIY in tech section). You can still use the stock seat cover as long as you don't add tons of foam. The amount of foam I added simply made it tough to stretch the seat cover over the sides ( I rode with the stock for awhile as I awaited the other seat cover)

Some tips!
-It would be a good idea to have a variable speed grinder and have a 120 grit sanding disk. I had neither, it came out fine but it was difficult to do right, and sometimes the dang grinder would toss my seat away and cut it in the process
-Test out the seat as you progress to see how it feels. Try to sit in riding position.
-You can do more layering like in the link posted above, but I found if you get the right density of foam for the bottom added layer it is an improvement.
-Be sure to wear eye protection and a respirator the foam can be irritating.
-Take your time, this isn't a quick mod unless you want it to be

What was used:
A ryobi grinder
Elmers craft bond (Glue foam pieces together wear gloves it is pretty sticky)
Foam, softer foam for the final outer covering and a denser harder foam(though not as hard as stock) for the inside)

Seat is definitely more comfortable, though I would have liked to use foam that was a bit firmer. After testing the stock seat again I almost felt like I was sitting on a rock with the stock seat. I can ride longer without getting butt fatigue. Still get butt fatigue though but if you use a denser foam that should help. You want it firm but a bit softer and more conforming than stock and that is what I have. BTW this will add to your seat height a bit unless you shave more of the foam down (I heard you can shave down about an inch to two inches- I only did about maybe a third or a half inch). Good luck to those of you who do this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0023.jpg (55.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0024.jpg (56.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0025.jpg (88.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0026.jpg (103.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0027.jpg (105.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0028.jpg (99.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0029.jpg (99.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0030.jpg (98.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0037.jpg (78.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0038.jpg (95.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0039.jpg (104.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0040.jpg (62.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0041.jpg (111.4 KB, 16 views)

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #6
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Bumping old thread.

I've read this thread a bunch of times and searched other threads for ideas and examples. Anybody have any new ideas or revelations about their customized seat? Problems that came up? Things you'd like to change or do differently?

I know there's Corbin but I dont particularly hate the stock seat. Just looking at some pressure point reductions so no, I wont spend $280 on a custom Corbin.

On that similar note, anybody reshape the passenger seat as well?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Bumping old thread.

I've read this thread a bunch of times and searched other threads for ideas and examples. Anybody have any new ideas or revelations about their customized seat? Problems that came up? Things you'd like to change or do differently?

I know there's Corbin but I dont particularly hate the stock seat. Just looking at some pressure point reductions so no, I wont spend $280 on a custom Corbin.

On that similar note, anybody reshape the passenger seat as well?
I don't really have any problems with my seat but I wish I used a denser foam in my final layer and just a bit denser in the middle layer too. I have a dremel now so I probably could have done this job much much cleaner. To make the seat more supportive it usually helps to add support to the sides, tailbone area and then shape a lip to help keep you from sliding into the tank. You could even try adding a gel pad under the seat too. I would say once you are done with the modification sit on your seat for a long while.

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #8
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I don't really have any problems with my seat but I wish I used a denser foam in my final layer and just a bit denser in the middle layer too. I have a dremel now so I probably could have done this job much much cleaner. To make the seat more supportive it usually helps to add support to the sides, tailbone area and then shape a lip to help keep you from sliding into the tank. You could even try adding a gel pad under the seat too. I would say once you are done with the modification sit on your seat for a long while.
Ok cool. That actually helps alot. Mind if I hit you up when I decide to tackle this project?

My ideal plan is to use the same foam gardeners use for their kneeling pads. It's pretty dense, durable, decently light weight, and wont soak up water. I bought it in 1/2inch sheets and plan to use contact cement to stick them on in probably 2-3 layers. Then use a hacksaw, grinder, and dremel to shape it.

Do you see any immediate issues with this plan?

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Ok cool. That actually helps alot. Mind if I hit you up when I decide to tackle this project?
Sure no problem I don't mind.

I think its better to use elmer's spray adhesive just in case you need to move stuff around or make a mistake. I also shaved the seat down a bit so I didn't raise the seat to high. Its kinda hard cutting foam but if its but it should be fine with a hacksaw. Be sure your grinder is variable speed, I didn't have a variable speed and it causes some mistakes. Make some marks to get an idea of how you want to shape it and you should be good.

Old October 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7153 View Post
Where did you get it at?

And i would use super 77. Ive been using it for way too long with longboard and surfboard foam molds, its top notch stuff.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...t-Information/
Homedepot in the flooring section. It's generally used for kids playrooms on top of hardwood so they dont bump themselves. They come in 2ft x 2ft squares 1/2inch thick in a set of 4. No clue if it'll work well for a seat but i'll find out soon.

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Homedepot in the flooring section. It's generally used for kids playrooms on top of hardwood so they dont bump themselves. They come in 2ft x 2ft squares 1/2inch thick in a set of 4. No clue if it'll work well for a seat but i'll find out soon.
You know, I wonder if a place like Micheals or Jo-ann's or something has foam. I know they have upholstery for making chlothes and other things but I never thought to check there. But, what you got might work fine let us know if it works out

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Tinto
Java Junkie

Name: Tinto

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R and 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

I modified my seat for some of the same reasons; I was tired of sliding forward but the main reason was for more comfort. I didnīt add any foam to my seat but removed a section where my tailbone sits on the seat. After removing the vinyl cover by gently prying up the staples I used a hand grinder to scoop out a fairly large hollow. If you do use a hand grinder be careful as it quickly removes the foam. It is best to draw out the area you want to remove before starting. After roughing out the section I used a Dremel tool then a small hand held orbiting sander. I applied spray adhesive to both the foam and the underside of the vinyl but it didn't adhere well. After a few weeks the vinyl lifted up to its original position. This doesn't bother me because this is how some of the Ducatti seats are made.

My seat is much better in regards to comfort and I don't slide forward near as much. This is a fairly easy DIY project that I highly recommend.
Tinto is offline   Reply With Quote