ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Lightbulb Keeping a Maintenance Log Book

After about a year, my maintenance records and notes started to become a jumbled mess. To deal with this pile of paper I decided to put together a log book to track maintenance done, as well as organize supporting documentation (oil receipts, dealer invoices, etc.). I don't keep any registration, insurance, or any other paperwork that is not maintenance related in this book - I have other files for that.

I now fill out one simple form every time work is done, and staple any receipts, etc. onto the back of that form. It all goes into a 3-ring binder and sits on the workbench in the garage. The real little routine stuff (tire pressure, lube chain, visual inspections, etc.) aren't logged, as that would create another paperwork nightmare. For the these little things, I keep a spreadsheet grid in the garage to keep track of them..... it is more to jog my memory than to create a paper trail, as I throw them out when full.

Attached I have included a cover sheet that slips into the clear cover of a binder, and a blank maintenance record form. Both are in .pdf form. Feel free to modify them to your own liking, or share other ideas. The original files were made in MS Publisher, so if anyone wants them to modify, send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

UPDATE: I just included a 1/2 inch and a 1 inch insert for the 3-ring binder spine. I'm using the 1/2 inch binder, but you may want a full 1 inch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maintenance Log Cover.pdf (92.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf Maintenance Record.pdf (31.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf Maint Log Book Spine - half in.pdf (15.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Maint Log Book Spine-1 in.pdf (17.9 KB, 24 views)

Last futzed with by headshrink; June 1st, 2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling, added more samples.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Nice idea Bob - thanks.

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Nice idea Bob - thanks.
Thanks - I hope it helps others.... if only just inspiring new ideas.

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Doc, Nice job! Looks very official. I do like the layout. Supporting documents really are only necessary for Kawasaki mandated scheduled maintenance--in which case, the service manager will be more than happy to sign your book or apply his stamp. Oil changes and filter changes simply need to be noted--kind of oil, filter (does not have to be Kawa.--as long as it is not FRAM). Milage is important. The reason I am saying this is that I kept a log on my Yanmar Diesel inboard on Ariel III. When my engine literally blew on the way to the Bahamas, the Yanmar dealer in Nassau determined that the engine blew because of a "Latent Manufacturer`s Defect" He put it in writing and I submitted a claim to my insurance company. The insurance company wanted my service records and I submitted my log (very much like yours) Guess what? I got a brand new $7500 engine installed for my $500 deductible.The engine was ten years old. What a deal! You are not OC--just smart. I have logs on our two cages, the boat, and the Ninja. It is time WELL spent. May I plagerize your format? Best wishes, Alex II
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
headshrink

Absolutely, plagiarize away!
Let me know if you want the files in MS Publisher.

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Doc, Thanks, A
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Duvivr6
ninjette.org member

Name: Duvi

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Special Ed

that is always a great Idea I always do this for my cars every part, mod, repair, receipts and everything i do goes in there !!
Duvivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM   #8
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Supporting documents really are only necessary for Kawasaki mandated scheduled maintenance--in which case, the service manager will be more than happy to sign your book or apply his stamp. Oil changes and filter changes simply need to be noted--kind of oil, filter (does not have to be Kawa.--as long as it is not FRAM). Mileage is important.
Although you are probably right about the necessary docs for warranty issues, I think it is good policy to keep all maintenance records. This should help prove that you really did 'wipe your ninja with a diaper' if you ever sold it. I also find it helpful to go back and remember where I bought something, how much I paid (how much prices increased), etc. It just tells a more complete story. Although you COULD just fill out the summary forms I made, the supporting docs show you didn't just fill out a bunch to 'pad' your maintence HX.

Yes, I remember your boat story and the fear of FRAM you placed in my heart - lol. Since I bought two of them before I knew that, I am finishing them off before switching to Wix. I had a FRAM in when I had my 7.5K done, and since there were no issues.... it wasn't an issue. If they denied a claim, I GUESS you may be able to get the prorated portion of your warranty refunded (backward way of making them partially cover the repair), if there isn't a limited time you could do this.