Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Pilot16
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r. 02 cbr f4i

A Thanks to the 'Squids'

A Thanks to the 'Squids'

I ride because of you. I was that kid sitting in the back seat waving at you right before you pulled the wheelie and zoomed off. I was the guy driving his first car when you went roaring by at speeds my little 240sx could never dream of, giving me a heart attack because of the earth shattering growl from your non-silenced cut-off exhaust. You guys created the lust and passion that built up in me until I turned 20 and decided it was time to grow some wings and fly.

People bash on you because they think what you are doing is stupid. You ‘stunters’ get bad reps because of the things you pull on public roads, the speed demons get called Squids because you go flying by 40-60 miles over the speed limit. Well my hat is off to all of you, because without you I would not be riding a bike today. I don’t necessarily follow that path of death-defying speeds, or crazy stunts, but that’s mostly due to my baby looking mint and me not wanting to ruin her.

I’m just tired of seeing every forum I visit bash anyone who goes out and does what they love, calling them names, smashing their threads with unneeded content that solves no purpose except putting people down.

Without you, I wonder just how many riders we would have out there today, living free.

Thank you.
Pilot16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Remember, squids (and people who do stupid things on public roads) are also the ones who are giving the rest of us a bad public image. They're the ones our loved ones think about when we tell them we're going riding. They're the ones who are more likely to be a headline in the newspaper, or to incite some jackass in a cage to do something aggresive while I'm riding.

But I agree, they did make motorcycling look cool to the 13 year old me (But then again, I also thought the bowl cut was the height of cool, so take that for what it is worth...)

Last futzed with by NaughtyusMaximus; June 7th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thank you to the squid today who was on the 2 lane highway doing a fairly controlled wheelie only about 30 feet from me coming TOWARDS me while we were both doing 60+ miles per hour. Thank you for not losing control and smashing into me head on.. you would have been in my lap.... I would have lost control and maybe killed someone. thanks.
This actually happened about 2 hours ago. too close for my comfort. not cool in any sense....

When I was younger,,,
I was lusting over the skills of Randy Mamola and Kenny Roberts on the the race track thank you to the professionals the true rider with balls!

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Fair enough, 'squids' may be cool when you were younger, but if they were to maim you, your family or your friends (knock on wood) they wouldn't be so cool now would they?

They are without a doubt, the reason why motorcyclist have such a bad public image and maybe even contributing to such high insurance rates.

There are dangerous 'squids', and then there are the people who perform such stunts in a controlled environment.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I love to see stunters do what they do in a controled area sor their appreciative crowds to watch. The squids who do it out on public roads are a danger to themselves and others. Stunting is a new sport and any sport needs to be performed under controled conditions even the pro stunters will tell you that.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
zartan

There are some great stunters out there. Def not squids. know where to play.

Old June 8th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #7
Snake

You stated it very well. Short and to the point.

Old June 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Ever notice that when they serve squid it is either "fried" and in "red sauce". I guess that's how most end up.

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Was in a pack of "squids" the other day when I was in my jeep. They all came on the highway togehter and I said let me give them the benefit of the doubt. Well within about 30 seconds they were zipping in between cars wheelying and acting like idiots. And for their safety they had 3 cars full of friends following them, who also zipped in and out. One car had girls with a video camera. We'd all be going about 65 then the car friends would jam on the brakes, jacking up the highway and the bike riders would slow down to a crawl, wheelie, then speed up.

When I was young I thought guys on bikes were cool, didn't matter if they rode an AMF sportster or a CB750four, didnt need to wheelie or sit on tank to impress me (still don't get the whole sitting on tank thing).

As someone above said Roberts, Mamola those guys had skill and impress with their riding. I watch superbikes and think Jason and his friends in a controlled envirionment due some impressive stuff on 2 wheels, but if done on the road its another black eye for bike riders.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

If being a squid is so cool, why are you not following their example by being foolish? Doing crazy stuff is cool, but when you put my safety, or my friend's safety, your rights as a person abruptly end. I love watching people do stunts, and go fast, and even wreck occasionally. Not on public roads. Some of my favorite places to ride are now heavily enforced with police because some people can't control what's between their legs. Sorry guys, you may think you are cool on your GSXR600, but it's not so neat when you are sliding down an 80ft drop at the Dragon. Thanks for ruining it for everyone.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #11
optikal
ninjette.org member

Name: Piyush

Motorcycle(s): None Yet!

I can't help but think that I am paying for all this! Have you seen the insurance cost on any of the bigger bikes!! Yikes... The first and foremost reason that I have to shell out thousands of dollars just to keep riding. Thanks!!
And of course, the reason my girlfriend, my parents, everyone flips out when I so much as mention that I am getting a bike...
optikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Pilot16
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies.

Just something interesting I thought I'd share. Out of the three forums I posted this on, While this one didn't have the real mean comments like my cbr forum, it did have pretty much a 100% negative outlook on it. I just wonder if that has anything to do with the size of the bike and maturity of the people who buy the 250's. Not saying that in a bad way, cause most people buy this bike because of the cost and saftey reasons also, not wanting a bigger bike to kill themselves on.

So maybe that's why most hear responded the way they did. I dunno.

Anyways, thanks.

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Red'09250
ninjette.org member

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): Red '09 250

Squids are dangerous. They don't have any concern for their own safety or, more importantly, the safety of others on the road. Yeah they might of made riding look cool, but now they're making it look a lot more dangerous than it really is.
Red'09250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #14
zartan

OMG! you can kill your self on a 250 just as easy as a 1000.
Expereinced rider here. 250 attracks all types.

The 250 is a blast to ride.

Stunting on the public highways is STUPID at best. it risks others lives. It is as bad a shooting a gun into the air.

If there is no one else around then who cares. Ride like an Idiot. I speed when no one is around. But risking myself , not others.

This is a no brainer.
Maybe you are just looking for reaction... good luck!

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Stunting is cool in a controlled environment. The public road is never a controlled environment, and that is why everyone has a negative outlook on squids.

The responses you get have nothing to do with the size of the bike, but more the mindest of the individuals. If anything it shows that the people on this forum are more mature.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #16
Snake

We have a great group of people here and I would like to see everyone stay safw and in one peice. That way you can enjoy riding for a long time.

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #17
Pilot16
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
OMG! you can kill your self on a 250 just as easy as a 1000.
Expereinced rider here. 250 attracks all types.

The 250 is a blast to ride.

Stunting on the public highways is STUPID at best. it risks others lives. It is as bad a shooting a gun into the air.

If there is no one else around then who cares. Ride like an Idiot. I speed when no one is around. But risking myself , not others.

This is a no brainer.
Maybe you are just looking for reaction... good luck!
I wasn't being rude, or meaning anything bad. Nor was I looking for some raging reaction. Pretty sure I was trying to state that the 250r crowd has alot of new riders because of the size of the bike, being a safer starter bike. Not saying you can't die riding one but the people that choose these for first bikes are obviously useing their heads and want to not take uncessary risk.

Means of course they would have an negative outlook on this thread.

Sorry for the misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Stunting is cool in a controlled environment. The public road is never a controlled environment, and that is why everyone has a negative outlook on squids.

The responses you get have nothing to do with the size of the bike, but more the mindest of the individuals. If anything it shows that the people on this forum are more mature.
*sigh* Does anybody actually read a whole post? Size of the bike has something to do with the mindset. People don't get this bike to go 100+ mph or to stunt. That's all i meanT.

Old June 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #18
kkim

I disagree. I can PM you some other 250 forums to post this same topic and you will get flamed big time... most likely worse than the CBR forum you mentioned.

You've found something very special in a forum here... period. Don't push it... I've seen people get nasty here, too... we're just a bit more "tactful" when the fur starts to fly.

As far as "squids".

Stunters in the proper environment...
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #19
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot16 View Post
*sigh* Does anybody actually read a whole post? Size of the bike has something to do with the mindset. People don't get this bike to go 100+ mph or to stunt. That's all i meanT.
I'll disagree there

If you search, there is in fact an individual that is a professional stunter that uses an 08 250r. He does some pretty amazing stuff too. I'm not sure if he posts on these particular forums though.
There's also tons of youtube videos of people stunting on a 250.

Also there is someone that bought this bike specifically to try to set a speed record. I believe he hit 111 or so?

Do the majority of people buy this bike to go 100+ or stunt? no. But they are out there.
The majority of people DO by this bike for 1 of 3 main reasons:
1.) It's amazing handling characteristics.
2.) It's great gas mileage
3.) New rider wanting to start out cautiously

My personal reasons for buying the bike was its gas mileage and cheap OTD price. And yes I have done some wheelies and that sort of stuff on my bike, however always on an empty road where I endanger no one but myself.

Stunting is great. It takes an amazing talent to do some of the stuff they do. However, as has been said, do it in the right places.

To me the funniest thing about it is that fact that most of them stunting on public roads in traffic are doing it for the attention, however 99% of the people watching are going "what an idiot"

Old June 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #20
Pilot16
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
I'll disagree there

If you search, there is in fact an individual that is a professional stunter that uses an 08 250r. He does some pretty amazing stuff too. I'm not sure if he posts on these particular forums though.
There's also tons of youtube videos of people stunting on a 250.

Also there is someone that bought this bike specifically to try to set a speed record. I believe he hit 111 or so?

Do the majority of people buy this bike to go 100+ or stunt? no. But they are out there.
The majority of people DO by this bike for 1 of 3 main reasons:
1.) It's amazing handling characteristics.
2.) It's great gas mileage
3.) New rider wanting to start out cautiously

My personal reasons for buying the bike was its gas mileage and cheap OTD price. And yes I have done some wheelies and that sort of stuff on my bike, however always on an empty road where I endanger no one but myself.

Stunting is great. It takes an amazing talent to do some of the stuff they do. However, as has been said, do it in the right places.

To me the funniest thing about it is that fact that most of them stunting on public roads in traffic are doing it for the attention, however 99% of the people watching are going "what an idiot"
One pro stunter, one for a speed record. Even if there are a few more out there they are just the exceptions, not the general rule.

The Kawi Forums have a reputation thing where people can rep you negatively or positively and leave a message saying why for certain post. Well that was one of the forums I posted on, and while I did get some pretty good bashings, I think the majority agree with me. You may argue that but From that one post alone I had 270+ positive reps with many many messages telling me thanks for posting it, and saying they agree and so on. 270 vs the 10-15 people on that bored who decided to actually say something publicly. That's a huge difference.

While Im sure anywhere I'll go, I'll get bashed for the thread. I'm sure there are more out there that agree with me but just wont say anything because of the people who make it a nightmare for them too.

Sorry if this was a controversial post, just felt like expressing myself. Snake, or alex or whoever, if you feel the need to close this thread be my guest. But thanks for every ones replies!

Old June 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Nevermind, I started another thread.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #22
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
I'll disagree there

I'll disagree.

The only fact to that statement is that he hit around 111mph. It was basically a publicity stunt set for by a man named Don Smith. The bike was built by Chris Hill and piloted by Zack Milholland. Kawasaki funded the operation. Chris Hill at Performance Psycle built it.

I've met Chris, the bike and I rode with Zack and his brother on Sunday. I've also got Don Smith's personal cell phone number.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #23
Snake

Wow CB you have got some connections.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #24
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

You don't even know.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #25
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I think its just a perception of what each individual considers a squid or not. Some more extreme than others is all. Someone as simple as riding in t-shirt, jeans, sneakers and helmet/gloves a.k.a squid or someone stunting on public freeways and roads a.k.a squid etc. I think the main spirit of the OP was that riding a motorcycle is freedom in ,many ways from dirtbikes to harleys to sportbikes...
I am sure we have all had a time when we had a child watching or looking at us with intrigue due to the fact motorcycles are a minority vehicle, be it from the gear you wear, the bike you ride or how you ride. We have all gotten that "oh cool that kid is stoked" feeling and gave a wave, a nod maybe even a stunt cause you wanted to make his/her day.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #26
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
A Thanks to the 'Squids'

People bash on you because they think what you are doing is stupid. You ‘stunters’ get bad reps because of the things you pull on public roads, the speed demons get called Squids because you go flying by 40-60 miles over the speed limit.
"Stunters" don't get a bad rep because of the things they do. Sport bike riders EVERYWHERE get a bad rep because of the things squids do. Anyone can zip their sportbike around at top speeds and weave in and out of traffic (some more successful than others). But it takes someone of true skill to put that energy on the track to race and to stunt professionally in arenas and events. The highway, freeway, interstate, or even many public roads for that matter, are no place for stunting.

Quote:
I’m just tired of seeing every forum I visit bash anyone who goes out and does what they love, calling them names, smashing their threads with unneeded content that solves no purpose except putting people down.

Without you, I wonder just how many riders we would have out there today, living free.
Freedom does not equal ignorance. I feel completely "free" on my 250 when I ride the back roads and twisties.

Just my

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #27
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I'll disagree.

The only fact to that statement is that he hit around 111mph. It was basically a publicity stunt set for by a man named Don Smith. The bike was built by Chris Hill and piloted by Zack Milholland. Kawasaki funded the operation. Chris Hill at Performance Psycle built it.

I've met Chris, the bike and I rode with Zack and his brother on Sunday. I've also got Don Smith's personal cell phone number.

I was referring to this thread I read a while back over at KF.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...ml#post1445396

It mentioned Chris Hill, so I'm assuming it's the same people you are referring to. If so, what are you disagreeing with me about??
According to that post he set a speed record for the 250 at 111mph, right?

Old June 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #28
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Yes, but he didn't go out and buy the bike to set a record. It was put in his lap and he was kinda reluctant to work on a bike so small. Chris usually puts nitrous on Busa's. A 250 is "boring" in his words. The whole premise of the comment was totally not true. He didn't want the project. He doesn't like 250's like he does bigger bikes.

I'm just saying, is all. I get why you made the comment and what it stands for, but knowing the people personally puts perspective in why they did it. It was simply a publicity stunt.

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #29
ScraitT
Green!

Ah ok, got ya. I was just going off what I had read in that thread.

Anyways, back on topic....the general consensus: don't stunt on the street, do it right in a safe place

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #30
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Now that I will agree 110% with. Keep it off the street. We all look rockstar-badass enough just sitting on them. No need to do wheelies and stoppies just to impress a kid.

Old June 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #31
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

A "Thank You" to Trolls.

Without you, my online world would not be as exciting.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #32
zartan

Brother, Pull up your pants....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squid.jpg (29.6 KB, 16 views)

Old June 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #33
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I almost forgot I had someone on a back road doing a wheelie toward me yesterday in the rain.

Yeah I admire that
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #34
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

If I want to give the kid in the back seat a thrill, I wave back at them. (That's if I'm not busy doing something else, changing lanes, dodging SUVs, etc. If I notice the kid, that probably means I'm not busy.)

I remember way back when, sitting in the back seat watching the world go by. Bored, maybe that day I was looking for bumper stickers, or out of state license plates, or whatever. Back in the day, I don't think that I ever had a motorcyclist look over at me and wave. I think I would have remembered that. So, whenever I actually notice some kid looking at traffic (instead the TV!), I give them a wave. Especially if they're staring or waving at me, give them some interactive entertainment!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #35
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Now that I will agree 110% with. Keep it off the street. We all look rockstar-badass enough just sitting on them. No need to do wheelies and stoppies just to impress a kid.

I give thanks to the squids. Without their efforts there would be less examples of what not to do and what not to wear.

If stupid is as stupid does... A squid is as a squid does...

Squids and Stunters are different to me.

Squid - someone behaving in a stupid manner be it from lack of proper gear or acting in a manner that endangers those around them. This could be from wheeling down the freeway to weaving in and out of cars/bikes alike.

Stunter - someone who has practices and performs in a safe and designated area.

I find public, freeway stopping, life endangering wheelie/stoppies etc.. to be like drunk driving. Something never to be done. There are to many variables that could/can go wrong and at that point your taking out the infant in the minivan.

I learn from the mistakes of others. Perhaps those Squids should do the same.

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #36
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I agree on the whole difference between a squid and a stunter. I have absolutely zero respect for squids. They aren't the ones attracting people to the sport. Instead they are the ones giving it and us a bad name/image. Stunters however, are cool guys because they keep it off the road and out of danger and are therefore NOT squids.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #37
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
A "Thank You" to Trolls.

Without you, my online world would not be as exciting.
LOL!! Hahaha!

+10000000 I've been wondering what this guys intents were. I guess this just about sums it up for me!

Old June 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #38
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Pilot, if you're going to keep posting this on every forum, I think you need to clarify your distinction of squid vs stunters vs aggressive riders. You're getting bad press by using a loaded term. I get what you're saying but you're just bringing the hate on yourself.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #39
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I like squids.

Panfried, with a chilli and lime marinate.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #40
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Ever notice that when they serve squid it is either "fried" and in "red sauce". I guess that's how most end up.
LOL!! Classic!!