ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

New Gen Tire Mileage

So it's time to get rid of these wretched stock IRC tires and begin a new era. I've searched far and wide for tire reviews and ended up with a tossup for the Bridgestone BT-45 or the Pirelli Sport Demon. ATM I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone's simply because of their alleged higher mileage which is key for touring/20,000km seasons.

But this is a general post to give people an idea of what kind of mileage to expect from the different brands of tires. I haven't been able to find a comprehensive site for the tires that fit a 250 (mileage of the same tire on a different bike don't count). So please post up what tires you've tried, how far you've gotten till you hit the wear bars, and how far you got on your stock tires to give us an idea of your riding habits (aggressive, rough roads etc.)
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I was thinking today how long does the stock lasts.

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I have stock dunlop with 720 miles so far. As soon as the rain stops I will hit the 1k mark in no time. From my rough estimate, I will hit close to 5k at the end of this season.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I have over 4200 miles on my stock 501's I took it to Gingerman raceway this last weekend. I did 2 days on the track and still have plenty of tread left. Believe me when I say I wasnt easy on the tires and neither is the track. I ran the hell our of my little bike. The stock 501's on the 2008 should be good for well over 6000 miles if you keep it on the street. As a side note I have no problem with the 501's I think they are a great tire. A little hard but never gave me a hint of trouble. I scraped the little rubber thing thats attached to the 3/4 inch metal nipple on the bottom of the pegs off the bike on both sides. Im looking for rearsets as we speak the pegs are way to low.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

We bought the bike with 1000 miles on it, and the tires (OEM Dunlop GT501's) looked brand new; the first rider was a newbie and was clearly very gentle with the bike. I got 3500 miles out of that set before they were well past the wear bars on the rear and pretty close on the front as well, so the odo was at 4500 miles at that point.

I replaced them with Sport Demons, which I greatly preferred BTW, and got about 3000 miles on the rear before having to change it out to another Sport Demon. Front still looks fine, and will probably go to 5k before needing a replacement.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

I got 4500 on stock IRC tires. The back needs to be replaced but the front looks good. I think I will get IRC rear because I don't want to replace the front if I don't have to. After they wear out I am going to get Pirelli Sport Demon.

My riding habits are not to aggressive as I am still learning. The roads I ride on look great.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Just got my bike back today with the new Sport Demons put on for the '09 N-250. I had a set of these put on my 07 N-250 and it was the difference between day and nite (stock where Dunlops). Both stock IRC and Dunlops slide in the turns, catch bridge imperfections and tar snakes. I changed the stocks into my 5th month of riding for both. I'll stay with the Pirelli's performance in rain, and stickiness in turns. I'd chance it to say they look a little beefier than the stocks. Mileage on the Demons for the 2007 was about 2,500 when traded in for the 2009. Wear minimal - I'm not overly agressive!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I replaced them with Sport Demons, which I greatly preferred BTW, and got about 3000 miles on the rear before having to change it out to another Sport Demon. Front still looks fine, and will probably go to 5k before needing a replacement.
ouch. 3000 miles isn't much at all for a "sport touring" h-rated tire. Noone has run through the bt-45's or got them stock on their 08s? Cause I think the Dunlop 501s are more of a moot point - from what I can tell they're harder to come by and we can't really get them over on our side of the world.

How about the metzeler me-880 or lasertecs - anyone determine the mileage on them yet?

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
kkim

you can get 501s take offs from Richard. if you're looking for a bit more mileage over grip, the 501s are supposed to provide a bit more miles than the other two you mentioned.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17781

better still... if you're going to have them mounted during your trip, you could have him ship it directly to the shop you have picked out to do the work.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #10
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I have 3200Km on the IRC OEM’s and they show no signs of wear
I would like to change them to Bridgstone's
Steve

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #11
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

kkim you are correct on the 501's they last quite a while. I didnt have any problems with there grippyness at my trackday weekend. Gingerman raceway in like a cheese grater on tires. The 501's stay glues there. We had one session in the rain on the first day and i would not recomend the 501's for that because they are a little harder. It was the only time all weekend the tires didnt feel totally planted.
As a side note I was granted permission to move from novice or c group to intermediate or b group midway thru sunday. I dont think I have ever had more fun with my cloths on. Anyone wana buy an 86 Monte SS Drag car???
Seriously, I will probably quit going to the dragstrip as it conflicts with my new hobby. Trackdays on the lil 250. Ill post a little more about my exploits on the track elsewhere but I will say that the last 2 sessions of sunday were open and I started right behind an instructor and everytime I wanted to pass in the corners (which is a no no in novice) he would squirt ahead of me (as I was socked in behind lap traffic) and lead the way thru the corners with me in tow. Then drop back behind me to follow. We lapped 13 of the 17 bikes out there for the last session with the remaining 4 just right in front of us when we pitted to end the session. I was the only 250 there and I got alot of attention from guys on 600's and up. It was great to see the expression on the faces of guys who didnt know it was a 250.
The instructor who was riding with me said he was going to get one because it looked like so much fun. He also said he was hard pressed to keep up on his sv650. So score a victory for the 250 over the 600's and literbikes.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #12
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I have just under 7500 on my 501s and there is still a good bit of tread left. I too am rather gentle on them, if you couldn't tell.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you can get 501s take offs from Richard. if you're looking for a bit more mileage over grip, the 501s are supposed to provide a bit more miles than the other two you mentioned.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17781

better still... if you're going to have them mounted during your trip, you could have him ship it directly to the shop you have picked out to do the work.
Thanks for the headsup kkim. Actually a really sweet deal. Only problem is that I ride rain or shine and the 501 reviews sound a bit iffy for wet weather. So for that, I'm willing to sacrifice a little mileage for stickier tires.

For others, though, that is an amazing deal! $120!

Old June 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #14
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have 501`s with 6.5K on them. I expect o get 10K out of them. I don`t ride particularly hard--mostly highway stuff at 55 to 70. Little hard braking and little hard acceleration. On long trips-500mi one way' the bike gets about 65mpg. and cruises smoothly at 65 to 70. I will probably go with 501`s or BT-45`s when my tyres need to be replaced. I am very happy with the bike and have no plans to replace her. My last bike was a Norton 750 and this Ninjette would seriously embarass the 750. Time marches on.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Only problem is that I ride rain or shine and the 501 reviews sound a bit iffy for wet weather. So for that, I'm willing to sacrifice a little mileage for stickier tires.
you should slow down with any tire in the rain. I've not heard the 501's were not so good when wet... where did you hear that? Perhaps post another thread and see what owners w/ 501s have to say about them.

The bt45's would be the next tire you should consider as it is sticky, but can get some good mileage, too.

the stickiest, but also the fastest wearing, it seems, are the sport demons.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you should slow down with any tire in the rain. I've not heard the 501's were not so good when wet... where did you hear that? Perhaps post another thread and see what owners w/ 501s have to say about them.

The bt45's would be the next tire you should consider as it is sticky, but can get some good mileage, too.

the stickiest, but also the fastest wearing, it seems, are the sport demons.
ya the problem is that most of the reviews for our tires are from different bikes. I've seen some reviews for the Sport Demons that say they've gotten close to 10k. But Alex on the 250 got 3000... such a big difference But I'm really surprised that noone's got experience with the bt-45s yet...

here's a review of the Dunlops and almost40's comment on it's wet performance is enough to make me wary of it. Plus since we can't get the tire over here, except for stock/takeoffs, I don't want to tempt myself and fall in love with it lol

http://www.epinions.com/content_405172752004

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #17
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

I loved my GT-501's. I changed them at like 11,000 miles (and they needed it). They had a simliar wear pattern and only started slipping the last 1,000 miles. I have Avon's now and the front is scalloping heavily on the sides (at like 3,000 miles) and the rear looks like new. Even though the rear has plenty of tread I'm going to change them both out because the rear is probably just as slippery as IRC's (god awful).
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I was at about 6k on my BT45s before changing them.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #19
RUSH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

My stock IRC rear will not last past 3500 miles, if that, before wearing into the wear bars, and that's a mix of Arkansas/Southern Missouri twisties and flat Illinois roads.

I am going with the Avon RoadRiders next for a trip out west in a few weeks.

Just keep these things in mind when comparing tires, even on the same model bikes:

Rider weight plays a HUGE role in tire wear, along with a load weight like bags and/or a passenger.

Tire pressures, heat from the road, heat generated by faster than legal speeds and even how you launch the bike from stops is going to wear tires differently from person to person, despite having the same year/color 250. Hard braking will wear fronts (and rears) funny compared to someone who coasts to a stop more. Riding interstate all the time versus riding twisties all day, every day will change how long a tire lasts.

Also, the roads you ride on in your area play a contributing factor...Concrete, asphalt, chipseal with limestone or chipseal gravel/pea gravel and chipseal with cinders will eat a tire differently with every surface.

So, it's all subjective, just like oil/tire pressure/chain lube, etc...

Last futzed with by RUSH; June 17th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #20
VeX
That's me!

You mean the DUNLOP Roadsmarts?

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #21
RUSH
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
You mean the DUNLOP Roadsmarts?
No, sorry.

Avon RoadRiders.

That's what I meant to type...

Fixed it.

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
But Alex on the 250 got 3000... such a big difference :
True, but I only got 3500 on the GT501's as well. (yes they were changed at 4500, but the first 1000 miles pretty much didn't count). If I put another set of 501's on, the rear would be just as done in 3500 miles.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #23
VeX
That's me!

Well you'll be fine as long as you're only going straight and don't plan on laying the bike over... AT ALL. The tires are the devil and I am actually afraid to ride twisties on them...

The rear doesn't grip at all and on moderate leans would slip, but it was predictable. When I really pushed them the rear just flew out on the RoadRiders like I was on ice or something. I'd say be weary of them!

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #24
RUSH
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Well you'll be fine as long as you're only going straight and don't plan on laying the bike over... AT ALL. The tires are the devil and I am actually afraid to ride twisties on them...

The rear doesn't grip at all and on moderate leans would slip, but it was predictable. When I really pushed them the rear just flew out on the RoadRiders like I was on ice or something. I'd say be weary of them!
Never had a problem yet with any of Avon's tire line, so I'll give them a go.

I'll let everyone know my thoughts on them, since I will burn thru the set in a two-week time period starting in July.

On my last bike I burned thru 4 rears and two fronts of Avon Azaros/Storms per year for four years/70k. I like their tires.

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #25
almost40

Nemy the wet tire performance on the 501's isnt the greatest but I think the tire life outweigh's that. Granted I used the tires on a very grippy track but in the dry even on the street I didnt have any complaints. Unless your really pressing the tire in the rain or wet they are just fine and do give a LITTLE warning before letting go completely in the wet. I havent tested any other tires but it would seem to me that the 501's are a great balance between tire life and performance. If you like spending tire money every 3000-4000 miles for a little more grip be my guest. Unless you take it to the track or on regular occasion carve up the canyons the 501's seem to be a good fit for the 250.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
True, but I only got 3500 on the GT501's as well. (yes they were changed at 4500, but the first 1000 miles pretty much didn't count). If I put another set of 501's on, the rear would be just as done in 3500 miles.
Alex I think you need to be the guinea pig for the new gens. If you try out the bt-45s then everyone will have a good baseline for all 3 tires

And do you mind posting your stats?

commute/twisties, wet/dry, weight, aggressive/conservative riding, tire pressure

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I was at about 6k on my BT45s before changing them.
cool. but as a track racer can we also assume you ride pretty them pretty hard on the streets?

Old July 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #28
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

09 with stock IRC tires:

Had to replace the rear at 7500. Switched it out for a stock 08 tire (Bridgestone BT45) which was obviously way better.

As for the front tire, I'm nearly at 15000 miles and am about to replace it for the first time. I will go the same route as I did with the rear and put a BT45 on there.

The rear BT45 is just as worn as the front so I'll probably replace both front and rear.

You can probably tell a lot about my riding style from this information. I haven't had nearly as much time to get out in the twisties since I replaced that first tire, so it's been mostly street/freeway riding. (the rear is a little squared off)
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #29
kkim

Andrew,

You might want to consider a pair of Dunlop GT501s from Racebikerentals. Those tires will offer a bit more mileage than the bt45s with only a slight decrease in gripping ability.

The price is right, too.

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #30
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Kelly, where do I send the $5?

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #31
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Kelly, where do I send the $5?
lol... add it to your poke' fund. one day we'll get together and party!!!!

actually, the 501s make great street tires and with Dunlop not bringing them into this country in sizes to fit our bikes, you have a monopoly.

curious... did he but some from you? that is a smokin deal on new(ish) tires!

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #32
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

What is wrong with the IRC tires? I've heard people don't like them but not really any reasons why? As for what tires fit the 250, here you go.. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...fit_the_250%3F .
And to be specific to the '08 plus http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/J_Tires

On my '89 Ninja 250 (previous gen with 16" tires) I've tried Pirelli ST-66 5,540 miles, Bridgestone BT-45 7,792 miles, Kenda K-671 9,841 miles. I'm currently running Avon Roadriders AM-26 with 11,350 miles on them.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #33
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I'm getting very close to changing my front OEM Dunlop with 10,700 mi. currently. I will likely be able to squeeze another good 1,000 mi. out of them first though. I changed the rear at about 7,000 mi., but ONLY because of the screw sticking out of it..... it still looked pretty new at the time. The dealer put on a Sport Demon for the rear, which I am planning to also get for the front when it gets changed.

You may have guessed my miles are mostly commuting miles.... albeit "spirited" commuting miles.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #34
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

Tim, how many KM's do you have on your tires? I'm at 5500km and have 200 of that as track time and mine are still fine...a little flat in the middle from all the hwy riding, but not that bad really.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2009, 09:58 AM   #35
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

I've got ~5500Km on my IRCs, and I can barely even tell that they're worn. At least half of my riding is commuting if that makes a difference.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #36
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

sorry a bit late to reply. Been busy burning my bt45's across America :P

anyways I swapped my IRC's out at 8000kms but they probably could have lasted till 9000-10,000 to the wire. Right now, the BT45's I have on have 8500kms on them and they're actually close to being worn down to the same extent. But keep in mind that probably atleast 6000kms of the BT45's have been on the highway cruising at 130-140. Either way, I'll be replacing my rear again soon with another set of bt45s so I'll have a good idea of it's commuter life too.

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #37
kkim

any comments comparing the 2 tires?

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #38
maglin
ninjette.org member

Name: xaris

Motorcycle(s): what else?

My stock IRC Roadrunner after 4000km were looking something like that

Thankfully I replaced them with the Bridgestone BT090.

More cornerability, stability and trust to my bike!

My driving style became more aggresive!
maglin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Can I get a pic/description of these "wear bars?" I'm at 7,900+ and they said I had about 30% tread remaining when I picked it up from the service department a day ago. I'd like to see it for myself.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #40
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Can I get a pic/description of these "wear bars?" I'm at 7,900+ and they said I had about 30% tread remaining when I picked it up from the service department a day ago. I'd like to see it for myself.
The tread lines all over the tire. You can tell by how deep it is. (In the middle, as that is where it wears first). You should also be checking the tire regularly for damage.... bubbles, cracks, bulges. Every time you check tire pressure (every day) wood be a good idea.

Here is a good photo reference:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote