ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Lightbulb DIY: Installing Mirror-Mounted Turn Signals

Copied from the wiki

In order to increase visibility, I decided to add some additional turn signals to my bike on the back of the mirrors. While some choose to buy replacement mirrors that have the signals integrated, I wanted to first attempt a less pricey approach. At my local dealership, I was able to find some LED arrow indicators with adhesive that would mount on my mirrors.

The hardest part for me with the installation was determining the angle which I would like them to sit in relation to the shape of the mirror. Once I made that determination, everything else was much easier.

After I had decided where to place the indicators, I decided to drill two small holes in the plastic on the back of the mirror to act as a passage for the wires. You do not HAVE to do this, but I felt it would provide a cleaner look if I did. I drilled one hole at the point of the arrow and a second one on the side of the mirror near the stalk. Using a piece of string and a magnet, I pulled the wire through the back of the mirror and repeated on the other side.

Once the mirror was placed on the bike, I used some black electrical tape to secure the wire to the underside of the stalk. If you are not looking for it, you would not know that it is there.

In order to allow the wire to pass through to the inside of the upper cowling, I used the holes already there for the mounting bolts. I put some heat-shrink over the wire where it passed through the bolt hole in order to help protect it from binding and fraying.

I ran the wire through the upper bolt hole and through the inner part of the fairing. Once inside I ran it through the wire guide on the frame and used some quick-connect ends to tap into the frame-side of the signal wires.

I chose not to connect to the fairing-side, as I did not want to have to disconnect these signals in order to take the side-fairings off of the bike. Here is an action shot of the indicators, not lit, but it gives you an idea.

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #2
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Updated pics since I can't post to the wiki right now... will add these to the wiki soon as well. I had a request for a picture of them lit - since it's rather bright outside right now, they didn't turn out all that great, as the lights are actually much brighter than they appear, but you get an idea at least - I'll try to get night shots soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (109.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0862.jpg (76.1 KB, 28 views)

Old August 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Kim,

You're becoming another kkim with all these DIYs lately. Another job well done! Way to pay it forward!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
muzkur
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250R

Nice one.
A put a universal mirror with leds.

Check this out:

I can make a tutorial if the people want.

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzkur View Post
Nice one.
A put a universal mirror with leds.

Check this out:

I can make a tutorial if the people want.
Yes, yes, yes!!

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
muzkur
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250R

Done and done:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77788