ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #1
arcman
Love to ride

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX10-R

Philips X-tremePower H7 headlight bulbs

I do a lot of night riding and have found it often quite hard to see. I'd heard of replacement bulbs with more light output having done a bit of research on here. I wanted to try the PIIA Xtreme Vision, Sylvania Silverstar Ultras or Hoen Xeonmatch bulbs but no joy, none of these seem to be easily available here in Australia, well, where I live at least. The folks at Hoen replied to my enquiry saying that they'd happily ship bulbs, but well...I wanted something a bit sooner.

So I picked up a set of Philips X-tremePower bulbs part #12972 XP S2, code 53144230 from my local Repco. These are 12v, 55W and claim to give +80% more light and a 25m (~82 feet) longer beam. The packaging says they are OEM quality and "fully compliant with R37 requirements". They look almost exactly the same as the stock bulbs.

The following videos show the stock and Philips bulbs - handy wall nearby made it easy to check my aim - it's quite hard to see but the stock are slightly yellow (6 months old) vs the Philips.

Stock bulbs

Philips X-tremePower

Here is the box they came in now holding my old OEM bulbs - you really can't see any difference between the OEM and Philips bulbs.

I'll report back how they are on a night right later (it's been pouring with rain here today).

A.
arcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

from the videos, I do not see much of a difference =/ but tell me how that ride goes. I have been thinking too either to switch to HIDs or extreme white bulbs.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Tagging along, but I will tell you that my experience with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras was exactly what I read on the net..... they appear brighter, but only last 6-9 mo. For $50 a pair, not worth it. I'm not sure what I'll try next...
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #4
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I just saw that they are 55w! I do not think you need 55w, 35w should be enough.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #5
arcman
Love to ride

...and the results are in.

In a word: "WOW"

Can I say that again? "WOW"

High beam has to be seen to be believed. It's fantastic. Unbelievable. BRIGHT. Bright as.

Did a four hour ride out into the hills well out of Melbourne, pitch black on the way back & the new bulbs made it almost too bright on high beam. The light reflecting off road signs was incredible and really has to be seen to be believed. There were a few long straights with no traffic and on high, well, I've never seen so well nor so far before. Night and day difference to stock bulbs IMHO.

Worth the $s? In my book, yes. Defiantly.

A.

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I just saw that they are 55w! I do not think you need 55w, 35w should be enough.
55w is normal for low beams, or single lense highs.
I always kick my highs to 100w
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
55w is normal for low beams, or single lense highs.
I always kick my highs to 100w
Kerry,
IIRC a single lens has 55w for low, and 100 for high, and when on high you only get the 100 lit up. How much better is it with your set up 55w plus 100w when on high.
Thanks.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

There all 55w. 100w really kicks ass, you have to be carefull on the extra current. Sometimes it too much for the circuit. Like on my camaro, we had to rewire the high beams to handle the 400 watt bulbs.

Have tried other wattages on the low, it's just too much. We just stick with 55w on them.

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Thanks Kerry. I think I remember selling a 55/100 bulb which supposedly wasn't legal, as a replacement for a 55/55 or 55/60 or something. (its been 20+ years since i worked at a bike shop).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

You cant bring "legal" into it

Andrew said the Xtreme bulbs are good, there suppose to be the same light out-put of the higher wattage bulbs. Life span might come into play thou, IDK.
Always fun to play

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Arcman, please do report back if the bulbs burn out quickly.

I also tried the Silverstars in my car a while back and they burned out way too soon.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I also tried the Silverstars in my car a while back and they burned out way too soon.
Me too, mine lasted 6mo and they both went out within a week of each other.
I've been weary of "high performance" bulbs ever since.

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #13
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I got about 2.5 years out of my Silverstars on the Wrangler.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #14
arcman
Love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Arcman, please do report back if the bulbs burn out quickly.
Willdo. TBH though after last night I wouldn't mind replacing them every year - I've never been able to see that well before

A.

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #15
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

I use Sylvania Ultrabrites. I had the high beam burn out on a regular basis. Every 6500 miles (6 months) like clockwork. I used to use the Sylvania Silverstars in my Acura Integra. They lasted over 2 years, I sold the car before I had any problems with them.

Old December 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #16
Justanothermp5
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

i use HID's and they last alot longer then any bulb ive ever had, plus the extra light is a plus too

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #17
Voodoo Rufus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250, Blue

I've been using the 9007 version of the Xtreme Powers in my Subaru combined with a relay harness. They do make a significant difference for the better. I've been using mine for about a year and a half now, including using them as DRLs.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #18
arcman
Love to ride

Still going strong. Such a difference. Can't recommend them enough.

A.

Old October 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #19
kenji_808
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CT Blue 250R(Sold), 2008 Black & Silver Honda CBR600RR(Current)

IMO, riding are bikes is dangerous enough and any type of mod that can help us be seen by CAGERS can only be a plus

I personally get really irritated when cars and trucks(especially trucks) use HIDs/Xenon lights in reflector housings, but then again they don't have to deal with 2-3000+ lbs of heaping metal on wheels just waiting to hit us, with just plastic/foam/leather/mesh material protecting US from harm

Heres a link to a reputable website that i have personally bought from twice for my bike and DD (an acura integra w/oem non hid projectors) hate on me for following the import scene but at least im not running reflector headlights

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

Spending over $50 for halogen bulbs that according to you guys last 6 months to a year, while these cost me $45(less for most people, Lucky I LIVE Hawaii) for improved vision and visibility to others.....

you dont even need to install both at least just your lo beams, i did both HI/LO but im deciding whether or not to install my HI back to Halogen.
kenji_808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #20
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
I got about 2.5 years out of my Silverstars on the Wrangler.
I've had two sets of Silverstars, in my Jeep Wrangler as well. (That's in 7 years.) I'm happy with them.

I've been thinking of trying them as well, in my 650R. Those headlights have never been as bright as the ones in my 250.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #21
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I had Silverstars in mine as well and they started turning black after about 3 months! I have since switched to Philips Crystal Vision Ultra and they are awesome. Very white light almost like HID. I've had them in since April and have been very happy with them.

Old May 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #22
arcman
Love to ride

Talking

FTR I'm getting around 12,000 kms from a low beam with these bulbs. I'd never go back to standard bulbs.

A.

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #23
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

That's pretty darn good for lights that are on all the time.

For those that are too lazy to do the math, that's roughly 7500 miles.

And assuming a 55MPH average (88.5 kmh), that's just over 136 hours of run time.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #24
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcman View Post
So I picked up a set of Philips X-tremePower bulbs part #12972 XP S2. These are 12v, 55W and claim to give +80% more light and a 25m (~82 feet) longer beam.
Quote:
Still going strong. Such a difference. Can't recommend them enough.
Quote:
FTR I'm getting around 12,000 kms from a low beam with these bulbs. I'd never go back to standard bulbs.
Thanks a ton for your suggestion and review Andrew. My low beam bulb fused out and i had to get a replacement.

Here in India, the Kawasaki 250R (and the recently launched 650R) are sold through Bajaj Motors. Bajaj does the servicing and repairs for these bikes and also stocks parts and spares.... at a premium. When i checked with the dealer, i was told each bulb costs two grand (local currency) or approx $40.

Your thread helped me get a replacement bulb at a philips dealer for around $12 or 600 bucks local currency.

Just to add, X-treme power has been discontinued and now its called X-treme Vision (http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...jsp?id=1088066) with +100% brightness and +35m beam.

I changed the bulbs yesterday. To my surprise the stock bulbs are also Philips (code 12972) but not sure if they are X-treme vision or X-treme power. The high beam looked a wee bit brighter than the low beam. Yet to ride out and check the difference.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback. Much appreciated.

P.S. What make/brand are the stock bulbs on your bikes in the USA?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote