ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:07 PM   #1
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

DIY and First Impressions: Scorpio i800 alarm

So I got the alarm shortly after I bought the bike in December but have been waiting until the weather was warm enough to work outside without my fingers going numb. Finally got it installed today. After going through the install and through the manuals on the Scorpio website, installation of the i900 should be is identical.

Here's all the parts that come in the kit:

First step is to strip down the back half of the bike. You'll need to take off the seat, passener seat/cowl and rear bodywork. Check the DIY thread for instructions.

next you'll need to wire in the main harness to power.

I threaded the power cord up through the positive terminal boot so it would look nice and clean when everything's done.

You'll probably want to test connect the base system (no ignition cutout or prox sensor) to make sure it works. I got the plug and play harness from Scorpio and it plugs in between the system and the blinkers and brake light. The system gets its negative connection through the ligths so it won't power up until the main harness AND the lights are plugged into the system. The siren will sound a few times and is loud as hell when it's outside the bike like this. You'll end up with a rat's nest that looks like this. Make sure you have the remote in your pocket or within about 2 feet or thing will get really unpleasant for your ears.

After the power up tones, it should arm after about 5 seconds. You'll know because you'll hear an escalating series of chirps. As long as the remote is within range of the RFID antenna the alarm will not sound even thought it is armed.

After you've confirmed that everything works, now comes the fun part, finding space to tuck the components and run the wires. There's not a lot of room under the seat, and unless you want to cut into the "trunk" some careful placement will be required. I found after much agonizing that the perfect spot is right below the CDI all the way to the right with the siren bell toward the front

I found that this location allows you to install the system while preserving the location of all the factory components. I thought about sticking it to the top of the CDI, but what with the CDI having overheating issues as is, I didn't think that was the best way to go.

Now, before installing everything, you'll want to go ahead and install the ignition cutout box. This unfortunately requires cutting wires as the cutout must be wired into the ignition circuit. Brown wire w/black stripe. Behold my crappy soldering.

Next we'll need a place to stash the ignition cutout. Since it's now a permanent part of the bike we can find a nice little hidey hole for it. I found that you can tuck it just forward of the fuse box and it fits nicely. It's hard to see in the pic but it's down there. Because of how the wires come out of the cutout box you'll want to stick the velcro on the side with the Scorpio logo so the wires come out the top, towards the rear of the bike. Coil up excess wires.

I didn't take a pic, but you'll now want to plug the main harness and accessory harness in to the control unit.

Now you'll want to stick the main control unit in its new home and connect the RFID antenna. The ignition cutout gets plugged in to the accessory harness. You can see the accessory harness running up to just next to the CDI at the top left of the pic. I ran the remote antenna (not the big RFID antenna) up the right rear subframe to the tail light. I figured this would produce the best range as it gets it away from the big metal bits like the tank that might interfere.

Next plug in the proximity sensor. You can see in the pic that the proximity sensor and RFID antenna fit nicely on the plate above the battery. We'll end up reversing the placement of the two from how they are in the pic but you get the idea. Now the only thing left to do is to plug in the lighting adapter harness. Remember that at this point it'll power on so take care not to wet yourself when the controller starts squaking during the initial power up.

It might be hard to see from the images but I ended up running the blinker wires and brake wires outside the frame as it tidies things up and makes more room for all the new wiring we're introducing to the already cramped underseat space. You can see in the pic above that everything goes back in nicely.

Now you can go ahead and put everything back together except for the seat and side panels. Now we need to adjust the proximity sensor. Remove the circular dust cover on top to get access to the potentiometer. The thing is super sensitive. I turned the sensitivity on mine down by one of the hash marks around the screw. I set it so that you can stand pretty much right next to the bike but if you wave your hand directly over the seat, or sit on it it'll chirp and then go off.

Finished look

First Impressions:
  • The unit is super easy to use. Walk up, put the key in the ignition and turn it to on and the system disarms. Turn the ignition to off and it rearms. The remote seems to activate an interrupt in the system meaning that as long as you have the fob with you, you can have the alarm in an "armed" state but it won't go off. This is great if you like to sit on your bike and put on or take off your helmet and gloves with the bike off, which I do. Just walk away and the alarm will become fully active once you walk out of range.
  • Since the main unit is mounted on the plastics it doesn't pick up shock very well as the vibrations are pretty well dampened by the time they reach the sensor in the control box. If you're looking for an alarm unit that will sense if someone bumps into your bike but doesn't trip the proximity sensor, this doesn't appear to be the system for you. I think that maybe using 3M dual lock instead of normal velcro for the main box would produce a more solid connection to the bike and make it more apt to pick up small jostles.
  • The accelerometer works fine. If you change the tilt of the bike, like picking it up off the sidestand, it will go off.
  • The ignition cutout works well too. If someone manages to start your bike without the remote it will shut down a few seconds later and the alarm will go off. I didn't try, but I'm assuming it won't restart until you disarm the system.
  • I haven't had the opportunity to use it for real yet but I think the best way to use this system is to keep the remote in your jacket or pants pocket, separate from the keys. This way, should someone lift your keys, they would also have to steal the fob to get away with your bike. Incidentally, this is what Scorpio recommends as well. I'm thinking about sewing little key rings into my jackets to clip the fob to.
  • Make sure you install the proximity sensor as close to the right side of the bike as you can since the tilt of the bike when it's on the sidestand will alter the "centerline" such that the center of the bike is not the center of its footprint wile parked. Placing the RFID antenna and prox sensor like I have them in the last picture is probably the best way to go. that antenna placement is also close enough to the ignition that if you were to clip the fob to your keys it would work. Using it that way is probably not good for the remote or the paint on your top triple clamp though.
  • I haven't had the chance to test the remote range but with the active arming and disarming with the RFID feature you really shouldn't need it unless for some reason you end up needing to silence the alarm a lot.
  • The RFID range seems to be about three feet.

If you have any questions about the system or install I can try to answer them. </first DIY>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scorpio i800 alarm - ninjette.org.pdf (2.00 MB, 14 views)
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM   #2
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Aaaand I just realized this post is in the wrong place.

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to new-gen tech and linked to DIY thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Thanks Alex!

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

if I buy one of these does that mean u'll come help me install it in madison?

i've become slightly concerned with the safety of my bike since it won't be in underground parking next year

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #6
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Name: poo poo

Motorcycle(s): '03 and '08

Does it slowly kill the battery?

I mean, like if u left it parked and armed for two weeks.....

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
wyciwug
ninjette.org member

Name: danh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 se

I need your help. I wonder if you are available to help me? Thanks
wyciwug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Nice DIY definitely like the RFID feature I think is a must. How much did you pay for it? I cant justify an alarm on my 250 but then again I just started owning a bike so I have no idea of how helpful it could be.
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote