ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

DIY - Slingshot Racing Preload Adjusters

Ever since I got aftermarket clipons I've been searching high and low for something sexy to cover up the top of the forks.

My search eventually led me to Slingshot Racing's Ninja 250r preload adjusters http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...-ad-p-191.html.

Tuning your suspension to your weight is always a good idea. But why spend $100 on preload adjusters when you can just cut spacers or swap fork oils?

1. The preload adjusters allow you to fine tune the suspension on a level that is hard to achieve with spacers and fork oil swaps.

2. It's much quicker to twist a few screws on the preload adjusters than to disassemble both forks each time an adjustment needs to be made.

3. The preload adjusters are SOOOOOoooo sexy Slingshot Racing has done a bang up job with the finish on this product.

So now that you've decided you need these , just how hard is this mod? I'd say slightly easier than installing a full system exhaust... which is to say, VERY EASY. Now lets get on with it:

OOOOOoooooo.... AAAAaaaahhhhhhh......

I'm assuming that your putting these on because you've got aftermaket clipons. If you don't, you can find instructions on how to remove your stock handlebars here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12960 (Thanks kim)

Regardless of whether you have stock handlebars or not you'll need to start with your forks covers exposed.

Ewww.... exposed fork covers

First things first. Put the bike on stands. This isn't required but it makes the job a little easier. Especially if your working alone.

Up up and away

Next, you'll need to remove the old fork covers. To do this, I used a square headed screw driver and pushed down on the fork cover. You should hear a faint poping sound when you've gone far enough.

While holding down the fork cover, you'll need to remove the c-ring that holds the fork cap inside the fork tubes. I used a small flathead screw driver for this but any number of tools would work just as well: tweezers, pliers etc.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE C-RINGS. Be gentel with them. You'll need them later.

Once you've taken the c-rings out, slowly release pressure on the fork cap. It is under pressure and may jump out if you let go too quickly.

Once the fork cap is out, take the rubber o-ring that is on the fork cap and put it on the preload adjusters.

Unscrew the orange part of the preload adjusters (the preload adjuster cap) and apply some anti-seizure lubricant on the threads.

Now you'll need to install the preload adjuster. Its just like taking the fork cap out in reverse. To push the preload adjuster into the fork tubes, I used a long socket from a ratchet set.

Once you have the preload adjusters pushed all the way in, take the c-rings that you saved earlier and put them back into their notch in the fork tube. MAKE SURE THEY're SEATED PROPERLY.

Now take the preload adjuster cap and screw it down onto the preload adjuster you just installed. Torque to 5 ft/lbs and thats it! Now do the other side and your done. Overall, this job took me alone about 20 mins..... with taking pictures and everything.

Now you can use standard tools to very easily fine tune your suspension to your weight. Here's some pics of the finished install:

So now that both your front and rear suspension is adjustable (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11956) (thanks kim), you should learn about learning to adjust them properly. The suspension section from ninja250 is a great start with some excellent resources.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Suspension

This is what I'm currently reading:

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...0YOUR%20WEIGHT

Have fun!

Last futzed with by sixstring; June 24th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Very nice diy.
Is this better than emulator set up?
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #3
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think these preload adjusters do the same things as emulators.

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

You are correct Jerry.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think these preload adjusters do the same things as emulators.
nope. these simply adjust the spring preload to fine tune the fork springs to the rider weight.

the emulators give you fine tuning capability of the hydraulics on the compression stroke of the forks. it helps to dampen the stroke of the fork as forces are transmitted back from hitting a bump or any downward force.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

so basically if you have this, can you put in the racetech gold emulator and use this to adjust spring rate to your weight?

Old June 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #7
kkim

the preload adjusters primary function is to match the race sag to the desired amount, based on rider weight. I'm of the belief that it also stiffens up the front end (increases the fork springs' effective spring rate) a bit, too, but others on this board have different views.

there are host of variables that go into tuning the forks... spring rate, preload, oil level/weight, compression damping (which the emulators adjust), rebound dampening, etc.

It all depends on what problem you're trying to fix.

Old June 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Nice DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm of the belief that it also stiffens up the front end (increases the fork springs' effective spring rate) a bit, too, but others on this board have different views.
Good for setting sag...... But say your spring is 100lbs per inch, you pre-load it an inch.. The next inch is still another 100lbs

But they do make those other type springs
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great DIY! /linked in the DIY sticky...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Nice DIY

Good for setting sag...... But say your spring is 100lbs per inch, you pre-load it an inch.. The next inch is still another 100lbs

But they do make those other type springs
come ride my dirt bike with preloaded springs using washers and tell me the front end is not stiffer.

Old June 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #11
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Thanks Alex,

So to actually torque these adjusters using my torque wrench, I need at least a 1 inch long 27mm hex socket.... These things are harder to find that I had thought. In fact all my local hardware stores seem to stop at 24. Just FYI for anyone planning to do this mod, get your 1 inch 27mm hex socket ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
so basically if you have this, can you put in the racetech gold emulator and use this to adjust spring rate to your weight?
The emulators are probably more practical than these fork covers. I got them primarily because they look awesome... but if you think about it, the 250r already has pretty stiff suspension compared to the old ninja. Stiffening them up would make everyday riding a even more uncomfortable... but would make more sense on the track. The cartridge emulators, from what I understand gives you progressive dampening.... which would work better on the road. Maybe I'll get a set of those too

Old June 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #12
randomwalk101
self wrencher

According to that article, this will let you adjust the preload but you will need adjust/control the damping so I guess that's where the emulator comes in. Reading up on the older gens, lots of people swears by the emulator.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #13
kkim

I have the emulators in the dirt bikes. They work very well for what they are designed to do.

I have no problems with the front end of the stock ninjette.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #14
randomwalk101
self wrencher

This Slingshot preload adjuster won't work with stock clip-on? From the pic, it appears that the top needs to be openned and with the OEM clipon, it's covered.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #15
sixstring
ninjette.org member

I assume when you say stock clipon, you mean the stock handlebars.

The preload adjusters fit the stock handlebars amazingly. You'll just need to pop them off and pop them back on. If course you'll have to increase the preload a bit. If you take the stock bars off, you'll see that there is a cavity that the adjuster caps can fit into.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #16
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
I assume when you say stock clipon, you mean the stock handlebars.

The preload adjusters fit the stock handlebars amazingly. You'll just need to pop them off and pop them back on. If course you'll have to increase the preload a bit. If you take the stock bars off, you'll see that there is a cavity that the adjuster caps can fit into.
Jerry,
yeah i meant stock handlebars. I was thinking of getting the clipon awhile back but it won't allow me to use my cruise control bar ends.

anyways, I read up at slingshot, here is what they say:

Quote:
- Allowed adjustments with aftermarket clip-ons: start with 5mm preload and up to 20mm preload

- Allowed adjustments with stock handlebars: start with 15mm preload and up to 20mm preload
With the 15mm-20mm, where is that in relation to stock settings?

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #17
randomwalk101
self wrencher

NVM...I'll cut 10mm off the spacer. That should be exactly where stock should be.

or use this

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...0mm-p-188.html

Posted via Mobile Device

Last futzed with by randomwalk101; July 16th, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM   #18
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

what is the purpose of the very small screw that fit into the gold part ? I lost one, but i can't figure out the utility. Should i replace it ?
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #19
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

it is to keep the gold cap from vibrating loose.

Old May 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

No contact info (phone number) on their site???
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #21
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

are the Bikers preload adjusters the same to install?

im thinking about getting them since they look cool! lol... what effects do they have on the suspensions by the way? never had pre-load adjusters on any of my bikes, so im not sure what they let you do~

i remember reading about it a while back, but it didn't stick

Old August 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #22
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

They do look cool, but I'd be worried about random strangers walking by and just twisting them.

They do what your rear preload does, but very minimally up front. I think the slingshots I have are adjustable only 5-20 mm. IMO more for looks.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #23
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Thanks for the DIY. Just installed mine after putting on the Woodcraft clip-ons. I did it by myself. But 2 people will make it much easier. And for some reason, the right was more difficult than the left. Not sure why... But it all worked out. About 20 minutes to complete.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM   #24
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Installed mine yesterday, was pretty easy with the above DIY

ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM   #25
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Today after the bike was parked outside in 90F heat the fork oil started coming out through the threads of the preload bolt.
I'm not even filled up completely (or to the recommended Racetech oil level...I'm running their springs). Has anyone had this happen? I dont think there is an O-ring in there...
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote