ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #1
lognaturel
Rockin'

Name: Hélène

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

High-pitched rattling above 8000rpm

Hello,

I've put about 1200 miles on my 2009 and am hoping you can help me decide whether the noise and vibration I'm experiencing above 8000RPM is part of the joy of these bikes or something I should look deeper into! I was surprised not to find any information on here and that has me a bit worried that it's not normal. If it's just that I just can't search, I'm sorry!

I found this review of the 2001 summed up what I was experiencing pretty well:

Quote:
Above 8000 RPM, it starts to sound like it's screaming and destroying itself -- this isn't the case, but that's kind of what it sounds like, particularly to someone who's not accustomed to it. Right around 9000 RPM, the engine induces uncomfortable vibrations into the frame, handlebars and pegs. It's not awful, but it's not pleasant. This is also the loudest RPM, hitting some kind of resonance and increasing the noise for a span of nearly 1000 RPM.
At almost exactly 8000RPM my bike starts to sound like it's going to rattle itself apart and sure enough, at around 9000RPM it's vibrating at a really high frequency. Is it still a known feature?

Thanks,

Hélène.
lognaturel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I have never felt excessive vibration of the frame on any rpm. It does buzz much louder, but nothing feels shaky to me.

I did have a noise/rattling problem due to badly attached fairing part. But that should not cause vibration problems. Maybe it is a good idea to check anyway, especially if you took fairings off recently.

I hope you solve the problems soon.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

There has been some cases of the clutch lever rattling that sounded like a bigger problem than they are. Grab your clutch lever when you hear the noise, just enough to steady it but not enough to disengage it. May help, may not. I hope it is something this simple. GL!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
kkim

also, if it's not the clutch lever rattling (the most common rattling complaint voiced by many), check your engine mounting bolts to see if they are loose, if you are concerned.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #5
lognaturel
Rockin'

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try holding down the clutch lever when I get a chance to take her out for more than a commute and will take a look at the engine mounting bolts.

The 'similar threads' showing up at the bottom seem to indicate others with a similar experience (why didn't I find them before?!) so I think I'm going to go with not being too worried about it!

Old October 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #6
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognaturel View Post
Hello,

I've put about 1200 miles on my 2009 and am hoping you can help me decide whether the noise and vibration I'm experiencing above 8000RPM is part of the joy of these bikes or something I should look deeper into! I was surprised not to find any information on here and that has me a bit worried that it's not normal. If it's just that I just can't search, I'm sorry!

I found this review of the 2001 summed up what I was experiencing pretty well:

At almost exactly 8000RPM my bike starts to sound like it's going to rattle itself apart and sure enough, at around 9000RPM it's vibrating at a really high frequency. Is it still a known feature?

Thanks,

Hélène.
I have the exact same problem with my bike. I am going to have to try the couple of ideas mentioned in this thread and see if I can eliminate it.

The rattling noise is only present between 8000-8500 rpm.
cbowman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #7
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I used to have these noises too!

Just to clarify on the clutch, just put a finger or 2 on top of the clutch, you don't have to pull it in at all.

Also, if you're comfortable riding one handed, an easy way to check the is to start holding various parts of the fairings. I found that it was my windshield vibrating on the front fairing, at the very top edge of the windshield, and fixed this problem by wedging a small sliver of old inner-tube between the windshield and front fairing.

I have also found a rattling from the VIN plate located up by the steering neck (what is the proper term for this?). I wasn't sure how to fix it (maybe drill the rivets and re-rivet it to the frame?), and then I off-roaded the ninja, which caused the plate to break off, so I tossed it in the box of "extraneous parts" I keep removing from the bike... FYI - the VIN plate is located underneath the left handlebar, below the gas tank. If you move the handlebars back and forth you can see it quite easily.

And I've found other various rattles from brackets, cable stays and such on the front end of the bike, usually after I wrench, and forget to re-torque some bolts. This however doesn't seem to be your problem, so I'd check the clutch lever, windshield, and then the VIN plate in that order. Best of luck and post up your results, eh?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
lognaturel
Rockin'

Brilliant -- it's the clutch lever. I had been trying to hold down various fairing pieces and was really puzzled, now I feel a little sheepish for not thinking of it. But the noise doesn't sound at all like it could be coming from there! It truly sounds like the whole thing is about to rattle apart.

I'm happy to have the mystery solved. Now to find a clever way to make it stop...

Old October 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Now to find a clever way to make it stop...
just cover the clutch while riding
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #10
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Remove the Clutch Lever bolt Then Re install it. Mine was damaged from the factory. Taking it out and then reinstalling it should fix your problem. If the bolt is damaged replace it with a new one for the install.

Old October 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Brilliant -- it's the clutch lever. I had been trying to hold down various fairing pieces and was really puzzled, now I feel a little sheepish for not thinking of it. But the noise doesn't sound at all like it could be coming from there! It truly sounds like the whole thing is about to rattle apart.

I'm happy to have the mystery solved. Now to find a clever way to make it stop...
yes, as Vince suggests, just ride with your fingers on the clutch lever. I normally ride with fingers on both the clutch and brake levers, which is why I've never had this rattling problem and couldn't figure it out at first when many were complaining of it. Just be sure you apply no actuating pressure at all on those levers when you're not using them.

You can see I have my fingers on both levers during this entire vid.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 16th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #12
lognaturel
Rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, as Vince suggests, just ride with your fingers on the clutch lever.
Hmm. I've been experimenting with that and I don't really feel comfortable with it. I read some related posts and saw that it's reported as something folks get from dirt biking. What's the rationale? It doesn't feel like it makes my reaction time any faster and I feel somewhat less stable?

I'll try tjkamper's advice at some point. Thanks, all!

Old October 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Hmm. I've been experimenting with that and I don't really feel comfortable with it. I read some related posts and saw that it's reported as something folks get from dirt biking. What's the rationale? It doesn't feel like it makes my reaction time any faster and I feel somewhat less stable?

I'll try tjkamper's advice at some point. Thanks, all!
really... anything that makes you uncomfortable or less stable when riding is not a good thing, so if you abandon the thought of covering your brakes/clutch with your finger when you ride, I fully understand. Keep in mind, though, not only dirt bikers cover their levers when riding. It does cut down on reaction time, no matter what it may feel like to you.

It could be that your levers/perches are not set up correctly for you. Try this... sit in your normal riding position on your bike, grab the handlebars just as you do when riding. Extend your index fingers out like you are trying to put them around an imaginary lever. Are your actual levers in that position? If not, you need to loosen and position your hand controls so the levers do fall into your fingers when you reach out for them... or as close as you can get the levers to that position, is more accurate. You'll find you can't get it exactly where you want it due to how the levers are mounted on the 250R.

Now try riding with your fingers on your levers... does it feel any better? if so, you've found a way to stop your clutch lever rattle. if not, continue to ride the way that feels the most comfortable to you... at least your levers/perches have been optimized for your hands.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:13 AM   #14
Jaysep
Pinoy

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, KMX, mio soul

I was able to find a solution for this. I'm not sure you will agree, but it works for me. All it took was a consumed plastic bottle of Coke or whatever softdrink. Basically, I made two "washers" using the plastic bottle. You just need scissors, drill, or cutter (to make the middle hole). You can put this in between the lever and the mount where you install the bolt. You should put it on the upper and lower part.

460920030CSSR.jpg

It got rid of the rattling for me. Why plastic bottle? Because the plastic washers I saw were too thick and when I installed them, the lever lost its "play". The lever has to be a bit loose with a certain clearance.

Hope this helps for some.
Jaysep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #15
lognaturel
Rockin'

I like that! I'll have to give it a shot -- I still don't really like riding with a finger on the clutch lever even though everything feels well-adjusted.