ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Name: C---

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Jardine Fender Eliminator

Just installed the Jardine Fender Eliminator on my 2010. Other users' pictures and opinions helped me a lot in deciding what to buy, or not buy, so I thought I would return the favor and share.

The install is very easy; took (maybe) an hour (I was in no hurry).

Take off plastic, unbolt fender, bolt on Jardine fender eliminator in place, and splice license plate lights (if you bought those too).

The look is clean, but not as clean as others, but then there was no cutting required, so if you want to put the original back in place there will be no issues with that.

The steel plate provided from Jardine is solid and heavy, not some cheap metal nor some cheap sheet metal (like some others I saw complaints about). It was $68. Good deal.

The only issue I have with the install is that if you also get the LED licence plate bolts/lights, the wires will be sticking out of the back of the plate and completely visible. Very ugly.

It would look like this: (with imaginary wires sticking out)

For California, the fender eliminator is legal (Veh. Code 27600 requiring fenders only applies to vehicles with "three or more wheels") but the lack of license plate lights are not legal.

In California, you must have license plate lights. White lights. They must light the license plate to be visible from 50 feet to the rear.

Cal Veh Code 24601 says "Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times."

I don't know what kind of LED light the Jardine lights are, but they suck, and no matter where you put them, they will not light the plate to be "clearly visible" from 50 feet. Jardine advertises that the lights are for "legal alumination." They are not, and I guess I should have known this, given that Jardine is too stupid to spell "illumination" correctly on their web site. My bad on that one. $25 wasted.

I need lights, so I did a modification and drilled holes on the sides of the rear lamp - 1. This hides the wires, and 2. This tries to comply with the law. It doesn't actually comply, but I don't drive a night very often. I will look around for a fix.

The other problem with the Jardine fender eliminator is that it takes off the reflector. You must have a reflector.

Veh. Code 24607 requires "Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:"

But only subsection (a) applies to motorcycles, which only requires, "at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams."

So, I bought a stick-on reflector, tried different positions, and measured off 350 feet to see if I could see my bike with the hi-beams on from my car. It works. More or less. I don't see a cop hassling me too much on that.

Ninja 250 Jardine Fender Eliminator
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seeyoui...7625485979708/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jardine Fender Eliminator - ninjette.org.pdf (2.28 MB, 80 views)

Last futzed with by cal95050; November 28th, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: photo
cal95050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

nice work! ive been trying to decide myself on which fender eliminator to get. this one seems very easy to install and i like having the option of being able to put the stock fender back on. i have a couple of these little red screw on reflectors that can be screwed onto the license plate which i got from the DMV. i wonder if those will suffice when a cop sees me.

Old November 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi C!

The photo links in your post aren't working. You've linked to the page that that photos are on, but not to the actual URL of the image. Here's what flickr says about getting the actual html to embed photos elsewhere:

Quote:
Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in "Share this." To get to it just go to the main photo page, click "Share this", and then "Get the HTML." We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.
If you get that BBcode, you can copy it directly into a post here without putting any additional IMG tags around it. It'll look like this:

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #4
cal95050
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Fixed that.

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
cal95050
ninjette.org member

I've been thinking either a strip of reflective material, which is allowed under the California Vehicle Code, or a license plate frame with LED lights on top and a reflector or reflective material on the bottom. Like these: http://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...se Plate Frame

Old November 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Nice, looks good
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #7
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Nice, informative write-up!

Old November 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked from the DIY sticky at the top of the tech forum.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #9
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

For anyone looking for a Jardine Fender Eliminator, www.d2moto.com has them for $64.04, but for cyber monday, if you use code BF40, you get 40% off any item, so it comes out to $38.44. With Tax and Shipping, it's $48.80. That's an excellent price for this.

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #10
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Also Cal, for my husbands bike, we used an led strip for his license plate light. Just stick it on directly under the bike. We used this one.

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...74230-1-3.html

For your application though, you might want to use this type that. you can stick it to your fender eliminator and it will direct the light downwards towards your license plate.

http://www.oznium.com/side-emitting-led-strip

I don't have any pics of it, but if you like, I can take some tonight so you can see how it looks.

Also, for the reflector issue, you can use the reflector license plate bolts. That's what I have on mine.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #11
smiley424

Cool, I just ordered one. Thanks Cal95050 for making this post, bringing the Jardine Fender Eliminator to my attention and thanks to nattygirl for posting the coupon code for d2moto.com so that I could get this at a nice price

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #12
e90
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): '10 250 SE

Sorry to revive a long dead thread but just wanted to point out that the pictures are not displaying.

Also, do you have to remove any of the bodywork/farings to install the Jardine kit or do you just have to unbolt the fender via the 4 screws?

Thanks!
e90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The pictures should still be available if you view the PDF attachment in the first post.

Old December 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #14
e90
ninjette.org member

What is the process to remove the rear plastic beside the rear seat?

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #15
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

I found this thread (near the bottom) useful when doing work in that area:

www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933

HTH, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

I really like this license plate frame but it's a little on the pricy side at $130.

IMG_4814.jpg

customdynamics.com licence plates

I'm from the old school - "more illumination the better" (Within certain limits). Turn and stop idicators seem to be covered really well in the Aftermarket but I think the Ninjette could use more "running lights". Dual intensity LED on this plate frame and also on the Proton Flush Mount Turn Signals are what I'm talking about (I haven't gotten around to hooking up the running light portion of my Protons yet).

Does anybody make dual intensity LED Strips that do this that aren't in the NFL/Hollywood salary range?
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #17
e90
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
I found this thread (near the bottom) useful when doing work in that area:

www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933

HTH, Pete
Thanks for this. The Jardine is on and I learned a lot. Just have to get my ass off the couch and splice up the turn signal wires.

Cheers