ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Rain Gear?

Now that its raining every single day I'm tempted to ride in the rain anyway on a leisurely ride to atleast get lunch.

I'd like suggestions on a fairly affordable and easy to manage rain gear. I currently wear riding jeans or scorpion deuce overpants and a scorpion All-in leather jacket.

I saw the Nelson Rigg AX-1 Rain Suit and I think I quite like it but I was wondering if there are better practical solutions from those of you that have ridden in the rain.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Honestly, you could get away with a $20 rain-suit from some outdoor store or even Walmart. I read a story where somene kept one of those $8 yellow PVC suits for emergencies, and rode all the way home through some killer storm and stayed almost completely dry.

My jacket was $50 and I'd probably pay $50 for another set of pants (mine came with some other riding pants, though), but if this is just going to be a one-time thing to see if you even like it, there isn't a huge reason to spend a lot on it. I knew I was going to be riding rain or shine, so I invested in the slightly nicer gear. Though I did wear a cheap rain jacket a few times when I was just seeing how well it worked. The cheap jacket let the sleeves around my wrists get a little wet since it had no elastic cuff, but other than that did just fine.

Old December 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

If you already have adequate protective gear, you can always just buy a poncho full body type gear to wear over. But if you don't have protective gear please don't cheap out because your chances of crashing in the wet is higher than it is on the dry, even while riding in a straight line. Last thing you want is for a car to run you over or lowside up and over an on/off ramp.

Just my .02
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
If you already have adequate protective gear, you can always just buy a poncho full body type gear to wear over. But if you don't have protective gear please don't cheap out because your chances of crashing in the wet is higher than it is on the dry, even while riding in a straight line. Last thing you want is for a car to run you over or lowside up and over an on/off ramp.

Just my .02
Agreed. As I said in my first post, I have a fully armored leather jacket (Scorpion All-In) and Riding jeans with Knox Knee guards underneath OR Scorpion Deuce OverPants with armor. My main concern is getting the leather wet.

As for being a one time thing. Right now since it is winter break it'll be my choice but once school starts, riding is my only form of transportation and I'll be needing to ride rain or shine so I'd like something fairly budget oriented but durable enough to last the whole winter without being too difficult.

Old December 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Any of the gore-tex material rain gear is more than suitable. Just search/google for gear that fit within your budget.

Damn, I feel like a troll. LOL!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Hey.. I'm liking the Icon Patrol jacket and pant offering. The features are okay and the style appealing esp the hi vis. But my god... the price is rather steep and ain't for cheap.

http://www.rideicon.com/index.jsp?homeImage=patrol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PatrolSplashPage.jpg (57.8 KB, 2 views)
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #7
setasai

Funny you should mention the Icon line. I am recently looking at the Icon PDX Jacket in Hi-viz too. Both the Patrol and PDX look similar but the PDX is only a rain jacket designed to go over whatever you want to wear. Still on the steep side but I think if I decide to really ride in the rain this season to campus, I'll give the overjacket a try since I really have ZERO room in my closet for another full jacket.

Old December 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #8
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Name: Kensai

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

Don't spend your money on the Icon PDX overjacket. I personally have no experience with it, but you can get a much cheaper jacket that is just as waterproof. Just make sure it fits over the leather jacket and watch out for hoods. If you can't find a jacket with a hood that rolls into a pocket you might want to just ride with the hood tucked in, if you let it flap around it will pull your head (not too much but enough to be annoying) and catch a lot of water that could run into the jacket later.

If you don't already have some, I highly suggest a pair of waterproof gloves. Riding with wet hands is just no fun.
fujimumu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #9
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimumu View Post
If you don't already have some, I highly suggest a pair of waterproof gloves. Riding with wet hands is just no fun.
What about the Nelson Rigg AX-1? It's approx $55 for both pants and jacket. Anybody try it out before? How well does it hold up?

Good catch on the gloves. I hadnt thought about that.

Old December 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Found just what you were looking for:

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; January 1st, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I bought a Firstgear (don't remember what style) rain jacket and pants back in '98 and they're still holding up fine. I think I paid around $150 for the set. I use them only when it's absolutely pouring out (I have a textile jacket and pants that are fairly rain resistant) or when I need/want extra layers for colder riding. Decent rain gear can turn a miserable rainy day into a fun one.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM   #12
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I bought a Motoboss Storm Guard rain jacket. Works pretty good and rolls up and fits in my saddle bags. It can be a bit warm but keeps the rain off and seals at the neck pretty well. My Tourmaster pants are pretty waterproof, at least for a short ride in a downpour.

Old January 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM   #13
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Decent rain gear can turn a miserable rainy day into a fun one.
+1

Old January 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM   #14
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I bought a Motoboss Storm Guard rain jacket. Works pretty good and rolls up and fits in my saddle bags. It can be a bit warm but keeps the rain off and seals at the neck pretty well. My Tourmaster pants are pretty waterproof, at least for a short ride in a downpour.
I'll definitely look into this one. Price is right and my Scorpion pants claim to be waterproof too (with the liner in, havent tested) so an overcoat is perfect.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #15
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Thinking of getting this. Doesn't cost a packet and light enough to carry around in my tail bag as well.

I have the RJays tail bag and the quality is excellent. This would be similar i assume, in terms of quality but looking for first hand feedback from anyone here who might have used it. Supposedly its 100% waterproof but i prefer the reviews before i buy.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #16
setasai

Not sure. For pants I ended up with waterproof overpants from columbia outerwear and those worked great for wind. I got lucky in that I did not need to test them out in the rain this season. The style looks great but I was also looking for something with more hi-viz and/or reflect-ability.

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I'll definitely look into this one. Price is right and my Scorpion pants claim to be waterproof too (with the liner in, havent tested) so an overcoat is perfect.
I have the Deuce Riding pants also!

They "ARENT" Waterproof, more water resistant. The inner pant liner, blocks out wind and are Warm enuff in 42F, 3 hr ride to my cousins... with ONLY a Pair of Mesh basketball SHORTs underneath!!!

Waterproof, no... light rains, or a Med rain lasting 30 mins, sure... anything over that... Nope!

my 2:cents:
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #18
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Not sure. For pants I ended up with waterproof overpants from columbia outerwear and those worked great for wind. I got lucky in that I did not need to test them out in the rain this season. The style looks great but I was also looking for something with more hi-viz and/or reflect-ability.
I have a Columbia Rain jacket/pant combo, that i wear for Work. (Not on my Bike)

They block out wind awesome, and the first few, 3 or so Months, were 100% waterproof. I could sit on a Tractor seat, within a PUDDLE of water on the seat, and my BUTT never got wet. The OMNI-TECH breathable, material worked great.
But once the PVC or PU coating wears off, they become "Water Resistant" instead. Allowing water to soak through and cause my T-shirt and Jeans to become Damp, after about 15mins in Pooring rain outside at work! Even in a light steady rain, say 1-2 hours, i feel the same thing as above!

I bought my Columbia combo @ Dicks Sporting Goods 2 yrs ago!

Old May 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #19
ScorpionNinja

I'm also currently looking for a Good Rain suit to wear Over my moto-gear while Riding too Work, or during moto-riding trips!!!

Some ppl swear by the "Frogg Toggs" brand, but i dunno.

Anyone else have something they'd like to share, that "WORKS"?

Old May 11th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #20
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I use a Tourmaster Elite rain jacket and rain pants. The jacket has good zipper lap seal details as well as several other decent features. I also use it as the top layer for cold weather riding, so it gets double duty. The rain pants are suspender-style which keeps them from riding down in the back.

I haven't found a decent set of gloves for warm weather rain yet, but can offer this advice on that subject: Make sure whatever gloves you get have the waterproof layer on the outside. I got some Cortech Scarab winter gloves with the inner layer waterproof, but the problem with that is the outer layers become soaked and hold water, and at any speed the evaporating water freezes your hands at temperatures below 40-50 degrees F. It also takes days for the gloves to dry out and being leather the result is they're stiff as a board all over again.

My best waterproof winter Gloves are Tourmaster Polar-Tex, they have an external waterproof cover that is permanently attached to the gloves and stores in a pocket in the gauntlet. It's a bit cumbersome to get into the liners but they do a good job in heavy rain. Above 50 degrees F, though, your hands start to roast in these gloves.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote