ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Thumbs up 2008 250J shock installed

Today I installed a 250J shock that I purchased from a forum member. Installation was very easy and took only about 30 minutes.

After the install I sat on the bike and noticed that the sag was way less than the OEM shock. I weigh about 185-190 with gear (178 without) and have the shock set on the second lightest pre-load setting.

Took a brief ride to check out how the new shock felt and can only say that the rear of the bike felt firmer. Overall the rear felt more controlled and less like a marshmallow. I can not wait to get a little more time on the bike (It has been a wee bit like the frozen tundra around here lately) and play around with the pre-load.

Replacing the OEM is one of those mods to the 250EX that really makes a difference if you are are a heavier rider.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
kkim

you'll notice a bit quicker steering, too, as the new shock raises the back end a bit and thereby decreases steering head rake. people that I know who have done this mod to their pregens love their bikes with the shock change.

better tires help too.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3
JeffM
Mr. 988

Kelly, I didn't notice the steering being quicker....yet. However the little 15 minute ride was not enough to notice.

Better tires - check. Pirelli Diablo Scooters.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I didn't notice the steering being quicker....yet.
you will once the weather gets better and you're back in the canyons. I think you'll really like the change.

Old January 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I think the geometry of the linkage is a bit different between the two gens. Cause the 08(up) is a bit stiffer over all, swap does make a diff. But I was a little dissapointed it wasnt as firm.....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

It doesn't change the height of the rear. It only seems that way since the bike isn't sagging under its own weight anymore, and is compressing less with the rider's weight.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
It only seems that way since the bike isn't sagging under its own weight anymore, and is compressing less with the rider's weight.
wouldn't that alone cause the rear of the bike to sit higher thereby affecting front end rake angle?

also, IIRC, the newgen shock is longer, eye to eye, than the pregen shocks. I tried looking for a picture that was posted on this forum before, but was unable to find it, but I think I remember it showing the newgen shock next to two iterations of pregen shocks and I remember it being about an inch longer.

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Kelly -

Here's a link to a pic of the two shocks next to eachother. The new-gen sure does look a bit longer:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...6&postcount=15

Here's another link of Craig's that tends to agree that the bike sits approx 1" higher in the rear:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...85&postcount=2

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #9
kkim

thanks, Alex.

Old January 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

It's a tad longer. When its on the center stand, the tire is still on the ground.
You have to put the center stand on a 1/2" piece of wood
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

With Pirelli Diablos, my rear tire just clears the ground when the bike is on the center stand, no wood needed. The rear ride height only matters when you are on the bike. That is the geometry that will change rake angle when riding.

Clearance issues aside, it is the amount of sag that is the biggest initial difference. My OEM shock compressed a lot when I sat on the bike. I haven't measured sag, before and after, but it is now only about 2 inches. Prior to changing the shock, it had to be about 4.

Yesterday, I went for an hour ride, on city streets, and I am pleased with the transformation. The bike now feels more balanced fore and aft. The OEM sprung bike felt like I was overwhelming the rear suspension and would compress and unload a ton over bumps. I used to worry about bottoming out when cornering. Once I actually did and never wanted to repeat that surprise.

So far I am pleased. Not a bad upgrade for $50 and thirty minutes of my time.

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #12
ninjette997
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha R6

Quote:
So far I am pleased. Not a bad upgrade for $50 and thirty minutes of my time.

For $40, and a little more time, you can also install a fully adjustable OEM GSX-R shock that includes: spring pre-load, compression damping and rebound damping.

For several hundred dollars, you could install a used Penske or Ohlins from a GSX-R.
ninjette997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjette997 View Post
For $40, and a little more time, you can also install a fully adjustable OEM GSX-R shock that includes: spring pre-load, compression damping and rebound damping.

For several hundred dollars, you could install a used Penske or Ohlins from a GSX-R.
I used the 2009 due to ease of installation (literally 10-15 minutes, plug and play), price, and I felt that it was a great option for the type of riding I do. Commuting and canyon riding. Further, I think a Penske or Ohlins would be way overkill for our 250's unless your are serious about racing.

I considered the GSX-R but went with ease of installation of the new OEM ninja unit.

Jeff

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #14
ninjette997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
I used the 2009 due to ease of installation (literally 10-15 minutes, plug and play), price, and I felt that it was a great option for the type of riding I do. Commuting and canyon riding. Further, I think a Penske or Ohlins would be way overkill for our 250's unless your are serious about racing.

I considered the GSX-R but went with ease of installation of the new OEM ninja unit.

Jeff
You bet, glad that you are happy with your modification. We just installed the Gixxer unit on my wife's 250.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #15
JeffM
Mr. 988

Pictures?

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #16
ninjette997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Pictures?
No pictures now. Perhaps when we replace the tires in the next few weeks.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #17
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I just purchased a 250 J shock from a member and am waiting for it to arrive. While I have the rear wheel off for the shock mod I am thinking about pulling the swingarm off and painting it black like the newgens.
My stock shock is sticking so this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #18
ninjette997
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I just purchased a 250 J shock from a member and am waiting for it to arrive. While I have the rear wheel off for the shock mod I am thinking about pulling the swingarm off and painting it black like the newgens.
My stock shock is sticking so this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.
Hell yes paint that swing arm black!

I wanted to paint my ZZR600 frame and swingarm black so freakin' bad. I did it a little differently though, I sold the ZZR and bought an R6 that already came black from the factory.

Black swingarms and frames are nice looking!

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Snake

JeffM,
How hard is it to adjust the preload after the shock is installed? Do you have to take it off to re-adjust?

Old July 19th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #20
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
JeffM,
How hard is it to adjust the preload after the shock is installed? Do you have to take it off to re-adjust?
No need to take the shock off. I found you do have to take off the left side panel to get enough access to get the adjuster wrench on the adjuster ring. On the right side the brake reservoir gets in the way.

Oh, and you will really like the difference. I weigh 180+- and initally had it set to the second to lowest setting and found that stiffer than the old-gen OEM. For my track day I set it to the next to stiffest setting and have left it there. Good for the canyons.

Jeff

Old July 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #21
Snake

JeffM, Addjuster wrench. That is something I have not thought of. Where is the best place to buy and adjuster wrench and what size do I need?
Thanks,
Rick

Old July 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #22
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
JeffM, Addjuster wrench. That is something I have not thought of. Where is the best place to buy and adjuster wrench and what size do I need?
Thanks,
Rick
It's a custom shape, I believe.
Probably your best bet is to buy a tool kit from someone selling parts from a crashed newgen.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #23
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

It's a spanner wrench. Cycle gear sells a spanner attachment that connects to a ratchet, but it's not as sturdy as the one from the toolkit. It's only $6.58 from bikebandit, part 92110B. I do recommend also getting the extension tool to add leverage, part 92111.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...7215#sch550353
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #24
Snake

Thanks for the link Cuong.

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #25
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Thanks for the reminder. I need to do mine! Got it about 2 weeks ago and it's just been sitting.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #26
choneofakind

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
this sounds dumb, but if you do this swap, make sure to re adjust your headlight. I finally adjusted mine and it helps a ton
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #27
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
this sounds dumb, but if you do this swap, make sure to re adjust your headlight. I finally adjusted mine and it helps a ton
Funny, I never thought to do that. I'll have to check how ny healight is aimed. I'm sure it is a little low as the new-gen shock raises the rear of my pre-gen up. Even with the sag I'd imagine the light is aimed a tad low.

Thanks!

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #28
choneofakind

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I never thought to either until I realized even my bright light wasnt cutting it on a backroad. Duh it was way too low. It took like 3 full turns of the screw driver in the adjuster to get it closer. The low beam is actualy not worthless now and the high beam is perfect
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote