ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old April 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

DIY: Hard locking saddlebags (luggage)

After months of going back and fourth on what luggage to mount to my 250 and how to do it I decided to go ahead and mount some Givi E-21's to compliment my existing hard locking topcase. I debated on just having 2 top cases, the one I have now and a huge one for trips and such but decided against that in the end since I didn't want any boxes that I felt were too big.

Having never done any bracket fabrication before I started browsing many forums that cover metal fabrication and the like to get some ideas on how people build stuff and what techniques I may apply to this project.

I decided I would use aluminum rather than steel even if it requires additional brackets/bracing, I now have my initial setup in place to test before paint/finishing so I can determine if it proves sufficient after some test runs and will update this thread as I finish the project.

Finished (more finished photos shown below)...

DIY...
Saddlebags ($170): Givi E-21's purchased from Twisted Throttle. I decided on these based on their size in relation to the Ninja 250 (External Dimensions: 16.5"L x 7.5"W x 13.5"D (420 x 196 x 348 mm) each).

Materials ($25): Hardware for mounting, primer, paint, propane, 3 pieces of 1 1/4" wide x 48" long 1/8" strips of aluminum purchased from Home Depot.

Tools: Drill with various size metal bits, socket set, allen set (for mounting hardware), screwdrivers, punch, clamps, a vice, hammer, dead blow hammer, tape measure, angle grinder with cutting wheel.

Plan: There are many ways to do this based on using the stock rear seat or not, ability to carry a passenger or not, how far back you want the bags, etc. Since I have a hard locking trunk mounted to a stock rear seat pan I decided that I would utilize that for partial support of these saddlebags.

*Note: If you still have the stock rear seat you could remove the rear seat cover and padding, continue this build similar to mine and then recover. The reason for this would be to keep the mounting brackets up a little higher, off the rear fairings and not having to shave slots in the rear fairings similar to the cutouts for the helmet locks for the brackets to pass through. Also, if you intend to carry passengers to accommodate for their footing on the rear pegs the saddlebags would have to be mounted further back than mine.

I started with a piece of aluminum centered over the rear end of the bike and marked where the fairings are and where I wanted the bends...

That piece of aluminum lines up with the front two mounting bolts from my hard locking trunk which will act as the first two mounting points...

Bent into shape to go past the rear fairings then drop vertical to the floor (2 holes drilled into the metal and saddlebags on each side), then bend horizontal the go under the saddlebags (1 hole drilled into the metal and saddlebags on each side).

Pictures of this setup without the trunk and then with the trunk...

I then added additional brackets to provide support/bracing:
This one mounts in the center of the undertail which then extends out to each top saddlebag mount...

I then removed the left passenger footpeg to use the threaded mount for this bracket (which lines up with the left lower saddlebag mount)...

I then used the back of the exhaust mount for this bracket (which lines up with the right lower saddlebag mount)...

All the brackets put together shown here...

I then added interior L brackets to each saddlebag which line up with the existing holes (2 on the sides, 1 on the bottom) to make a little more rigid (shown with testing hardware, not the final hardware I will use with washers, lock washers, nuts and loctite)...

Couple close up exterior shots:

The bracket is close to the fairing but does not touch even when loaded, still once these are finished in black heavy duty weather stripping/padding will be added on the underside of the 1st bracket where it is close to the fairing just in case...

Clears turn signals...

First round pics (before road testing, before finishing with smooth grinds and black paint):

Some thoughts with it all together...
- I need to adjust the left support bracket to pull the rear left bag in a little so it is uniform with the right bag.

- I may need another cross bracket... if so I may attempt to utilize the metal tabs the stock turn signals are mounted to. If that didn't work I could use steel for the main bracket.

- If you were mounting to a stock seat (without trunk) the bolts would need to be shorter and inverted. The bags would have to be mounted back further for a passenger to be able to use the footpegs. The left side support bracket would have to be more complicated to work around the footpeg bracket or attached to another point.

In the end I spent $195, 5 hours of time and am very happy with the result thus far. I will continue to update this thread as I complete this project. Please post any comments/questions/concerns and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks,
James

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hard locking saddlebags (luggage) - ninjette.org.pdf (11.11 MB, 125 views)

Last futzed with by slolane; June 14th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked from main DIY thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #3
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

I'm really impressed with your creativity! I may need to do this before camping this summer; this is now my inspiration!
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I would just like to make sure, this isn't an upside down seat, this is a seat pan that's been painted, and just happens to look like an seat turned upside down, yes?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #5
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Faisal - Thanks, I'm very happy with the result, cost and small amount of work required to complete. This is my first metal project so if I can do this anyone can. Just be sure of exactly where you want to mount the cases in relation to the bike before you start fabbing brackets and drilling holes. Figure out how far back/forward you want the cases and at what angle (tilt).

@Spooph - Correct, that is just a stock seat pan stripped down to the plastic, scuffed with a red scotchbrite pad and painted flat black since the topcase I use doesn't cover it all the way when it's mounted on the bike and I didn't want white showing through since nothing else on the bike is white. Trunk with seat pan shown under in this pic:

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #6
slolane
Motorcyclist

I just completed my first test ride, the bags seem to do well each half loaded, I will continue to do testing and reporting back.

To answer some additional questions I have received...

1. I intend to leave them on all the time but it would take approximately 15 minutes to remove the saddlebags AND mounts, this would include unbolting the trunk from the rear seat pan to remove the large bracket that goes under it and then putting the trunk back on. I designed the mounts to intersect with each other to add strength, avoid looking too messy and keep the number of holes I needed to drill into the bags and metal brackets down to a minimum.

There are 4 brackets, 3 holes drilled into each saddlebag and 10 holes drilled into the aluminum brackets.

2. The total width of the bags mounted on the bike is 33", as a note my bike with SW-MT Mirror Wideners is 36".

Old April 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Fly'in Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): C-250R-ST

Wow! Great Job!! Looks Great!!!
Fly'in Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What is the main cause of the 15min removal time? Removal of the nuts? If that's the case, knob nuts might help speed that process.

Something like this...
http://knobsource.thomasnet.com/category/knobs

Great use of resources, If I find cheap sidecases, i'll definitely need to pick your brain for more info.

Edit: Has the weight or size affected the bikes stability or made it more or less difficult lane splitting?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Fly'in Ninja - Thanks

@setasai - Yeh, mostly because of the hardware, doesn't bother me as I intend to keep mine on but that link you posted is great if I ever change my mind or anyone else wanted a faster on/off method... thanks!!

Any questions you have shoot me a message, I will do my best to answer.

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #10
slolane
Motorcyclist

Couple of updates...

- Did a good bit of riding in the past two days, the bags are great, the only time I know they are there is getting on and off the bike, with the bags mounted as forward as I have them and having the trunk swinging your leg over is more of a punch kick, LOL. No bother to me really, just wanted to mention it.

- Yesterday I pulled the bags/brackets off (only took 10 minutes this time) to make a couple of adjustments and start finishing the brackets...

After working on a couple of the bends I prepped the brackets by scuffing with red scotchbrite pad and wiping clean

Primer

Paint

Close up of the "textured" black paint

I went with textured black paint as these brackets will get hit with rocks and road debris so I wanted something that was easy to touch up as needed.

I will post up the finished pictures later today or tomorrow.

Old April 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #11
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

effin beautiful
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #12
slolane
Motorcyclist

@ricochet08 - Thanks!!

Put back together but will have to wait until tomorrow to get full bike pics. Here are a few close ups for now.

All brackets:

HD weatherstripping on bottom near rear fairings:

While I was at it I decided to paint the trunk reflectors textured black also:

Will post full bike pics when it's back together tomorrow.

Old April 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Great thread... Thanks...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #14
setasai

That's just wicked sweet! I'm glad you took the time to show us all of this. It has no doubt brought about a new perspective on the uses of our little ninja. Also makes it more practical.

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

@Yasko and setasai - thanks

Posting up the final pics in a few min, turned out pretty well for the el cheapo DIY job.

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #16
slolane
Motorcyclist

Finished... For $200 (cases & materials) and about 6 hours time I am very happy with the result. Here are the pics...

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #17
setasai

Bump. Now that you've had it on for a while, has the extra width of the saddlebags made it any more difficult to lane share/split? Basically, by the photos it doesnt look that much wider than the mirrors which is fine but it's hard to tell.

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #18
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Bump. Now that you've had it on for a while, has the extra width of the saddlebags made it any more difficult to lane share/split? Basically, by the photos it doesnt look that much wider than the mirrors which is fine but it's hard to tell.
Well I don't lane split much but I only notice having them on there when getting on the bike while swinging my leg over... really more of a punch kick but you get the idea. Regarding measurements it's really deceiving looking however the mirrors are 35 1/2" wide and the sidecases are only 32" wide.

I get questions/comments on the bike everywhere I go and a lot surround the sidecases. I use them and the topcase a lot and am really glad I went this route. It's a different look but I'm not that into the "look", it's more the function of it and allowing me to ride more... trips to the store, take out, commuting, lunches, etc. all fit in the cases.

Regarding the design I think it works great and at this point wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks,
Slolane

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #19
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Well I don't lane split much but I only notice having them on there when getting on the bike while swinging my leg over... really more of a punch kick but you get the idea. Regarding measurements it's really deceiving looking however the mirrors are 35 1/2" wide and the sidecases are only 32" wide.

I get questions/comments on the bike everywhere I go and a lot surround the sidecases. I use them and the topcase a lot and am really glad I went this route. It's a different look but I'm not that into the "look", it's more the function of it and allowing me to ride more... trips to the store, take out, commuting, lunches, etc. all fit in the cases.

Regarding the design I think it works great and at this point wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks,
Slolane

Haha, sounds fantastic. Using your setup for inspiration, I've been trying to figure out another mounting system for those sidecases. I'm glad that even after the addition of them, it's still narrower than the mirrors. Sounds more and more perfect each time. I am also more of a practicality type as well and as far as I'm concerned, it looks fantastic!

Old May 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #20
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Haha, sounds fantastic. Using your setup for inspiration, I've been trying to figure out another mounting system for those sidecases. I'm glad that even after the addition of them, it's still narrower than the mirrors. Sounds more and more perfect each time. I am also more of a practicality type as well and as far as I'm concerned, it looks fantastic!
Thanks

What are you planning for yours?

Old May 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #21
setasai

Quote:
Thanks

What are you planning for yours?
Still brainstorming/planning stages but I have some steel square tubing lying around in the shed and I thought that I might be able to rig up some kind of bracket system starting from the pegs, up under the tail and somehow tying into the 4 undertail bolts that are currently used to hold the metal hooks and turn signals.

I played around with autocad to get a rough idea on some of the angles but I'm thinking it could possibly work. Ideally, i'd like to be able to remove it quickly and reinstall it without much hassle.

I'll post some photos if it turns out anything like i'm imagining it to be but knowing me, i'll probably botch it up and end up with a pile of scrap metal.

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #22
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Still brainstorming/planning stages but I have some steel square tubing lying around in the shed and I thought that I might be able to rig up some kind of bracket system starting from the pegs, up under the tail and somehow tying into the 4 undertail bolts that are currently used to hold the metal hooks and turn signals.

I played around with autocad to get a rough idea on some of the angles but I'm thinking it could possibly work. Ideally, i'd like to be able to remove it quickly and reinstall it without much hassle.

I'll post some photos if it turns out anything like i'm imagining it to be but knowing me, i'll probably botch it up and end up with a pile of scrap metal.
Sounds good, let me know which direction you end up going. I hope it turns out well and am interested to see how you set it up.

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #23
setasai

Hey Slolane, just occurred to me. Have you had any issues with the rear turn signals being obscurred by the sidecases? It seems that if you were to move them further back to allow for potential passengers, the turn signals would need to be moved as well.

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #24
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Hey Slolane, just occurred to me. Have you had any issues with the rear turn signals being obscurred by the sidecases? It seems that if you were to move them further back to allow for potential passengers, the turn signals would need to be moved as well.
I agree, if you were to mount them further back it would block the signals. Depending on if you were going to remove them or leave them on would be how you could resolve that. Either move them back, replace with different ones, maybe build into the back of the cases or possibly some that attach via quick connectors that tap into the existing ones. Just some ideas.

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #25
setasai

Flush mount protons would be pretty cool. Regardless, One issue at a time.

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #26
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Flush mount protons would be pretty cool. Regardless, One issue at a time.
How is your project coming along? Any sketches or mock up pics yet?

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #27
setasai

Soon. I figured out the undertail bracket. Based off of another thread.

Now I'm working on the best way to mold the bracket without being ridiculously difficult.

I also came across givi monokey specific 3 point mounting parts that I want to see if i can incorporate into the brackets for quick removal.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4084/161/

It's going super slow because I have an exam coming up this thursday that i've spent the last 3 months studying for.

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #28
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
It's going super slow because I have an exam coming up this thursday that i've spent the last 3 months studying for.
Whatever, Brian, where are your priorities?? This is your BIKE we're talking about!

Good luck on the exam!

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Umm... that is only legal in CA.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #30
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Soon. I figured out the undertail bracket. Based off of another thread.

Now I'm working on the best way to mold the bracket without being ridiculously difficult.

I also came across givi monokey specific 3 point mounting parts that I want to see if i can incorporate into the brackets for quick removal.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4084/161/

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to your build. In the meantime good luck on the exam.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #31
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Whatever, Brian, where are your priorities?? This is your BIKE we're talking about!

Good luck on the exam!
Dont tempt me. It has already taken all my willpower as it is already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Yes and that's where I live.

Quote:
Good stuff, I'm looking forward to your build. In the meantime good luck on the exam.
Thanks. Me too. Lets hope it doesnt turn into a pile of scrap metal.

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #32
slolane
Motorcyclist

I finally made a small exhaust hanger and got rid of the right passenger peg...

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Me too, but the person you are asking shouldn't be able to answer that.

Quote:
I finally made a small exhaust hanger and got rid of the right passenger peg...
OK, now do me.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #34
setasai

Quote:
Me too, but the person you are asking shouldn't be able to answer that.

OK, now do me.
Oh crap. Haha, you're right. Didnt even notice.

Old June 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #35
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

what is the model of the topcase (sorry if it was posted but I didnt see it in this thread or your original topcase thread.) I believe you just said you got it off ebay
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #36
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
OK, now do me.
You like that exhaust hanger? I think it turned out fairly well, plus it's the same as my sidecase mounting brackets so it all kinda works for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Lane splitting isn't legal here but that doesn't stop people from doing it. I only do it when traffic is backed way up on a really hot day... maybe once or twice a year. I see others do it frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkson View Post
what is the model of the topcase (sorry if it was posted but I didnt see it in this thread or your original topcase thread.) I believe you just said you got it off ebay
I'm not sure of the exact manufacture or model but HERE is a link to an eBay auction (I search "motorcycle trunk" and it comes up with a lot). Are you planning a trunk install similar to mine or something else?

Old June 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #37
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:

I'm not sure of the exact manufacture or model but HERE is a link to an eBay auction (I search "motorcycle trunk" and it comes up with a lot). Are you planning a trunk install similar to mine or something else?
Yeah I saw lots of generic trunks. I just didnt know if it was the same brand as the sidecases. I am copying you almost to a T (why re-invent the wheel)

The only difference is I am going to make mine out of steel and weld it. I have a hotbodies undertail to the lower bracket you have bolted to the underside of the bike wont be there. I am going to use the passenger peg mounting bolts for the lower support brackets I think. Then I will make an exhaust hanger as pictured above. All the steel will be powdercoated flat black to match the coating of the bikes frame and such.

Once I have it all templated out and 'perfected' it should be easy to bang off some replicas for friends.

Thanks for taking the leap and doing a DIY for this. The finished product looks great!
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #38
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkson View Post
Yeah I saw lots of generic trunks. I just didnt know if it was the same brand as the sidecases. I am copying you almost to a T (why re-invent the wheel)

The only difference is I am going to make mine out of steel and weld it. I have a hotbodies undertail to the lower bracket you have bolted to the underside of the bike wont be there. I am going to use the passenger peg mounting bolts for the lower support brackets I think. Then I will make an exhaust hanger as pictured above. All the steel will be powdercoated flat black to match the coating of the bikes frame and such.

Once I have it all templated out and 'perfected' it should be easy to bang off some replicas for friends.

Thanks for taking the leap and doing a DIY for this. The finished product looks great!
I started out looking at a several name brand top cases but they were all A LOT more expensive so I figured I would try this one and liked it. Please note that this topcase does NOT hold an adult full face helmet, I could only fit a childs full face laying on it's side. If I ever change the topcase I will get one that fits my helmet, that would be very nice.

Great plan you have going, I wouldn't want to drill a hole in that undertail either, they are beautiful!!

I'm glad the DIY helped and I appreciate the kudos. Please post up your project with some pics if you can. I would love to see how it comes together. So what are your plans? Are you going to be able to still carry a passenger or no?

If I can help any hit me up.

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #39
setasai

Sweet. Sounds awesome. I wish I had a welder. Would make it much easier. Trying to fabricate a support system without welding is one of the main causes of my mind going in circles.

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #40
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Sweet. Sounds awesome. I wish I had a welder. Would make it much easier. Trying to fabricate a support system without welding is one of the main causes of my mind going in circles.
I agree, I wish I had a welder too and the know how to use one, lol.