ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

DIY GoPro POV

I saw a pic that Coinslot has of his GoPro setup and decided to copy him. I've had these pics on my phone for awhile now, so figured I'd post them up. This method puts your GoPro by your chin so it's becomes centered.

GoPros come with an array of connections, but they mostly need a flat or slightly curved section to adhese (word?) to. This narrows down the options on helmets to the sides of the helmet or on top of the helmet. The section by your chin isn't a flat surface.

To solve the problem, putty is used.

First off, I used painter's tape to protect the helmet from any residue from the putty. I also remove the adhesive part of the attachment piece so I have a flat plastic surface to work on.

I then mix the putty per the directions with the hardener and apply liberally.

I'm pushing the attachment against the surface of my helmet to create the mold I need. I wait a few minutes for the putty to harden and then I remove the painter's tape with the putty.

I use a utility knife to cut around the mold and then use my dremel to smooth out the rest until I'm left with:

I make sure that it now has full contact with the helmet the whole way.

I then paint the whole piece black so it's uniform in color. Since I don't want to attach it directly to my helmet in case I want to remove it in the future, I lay down a piece of gorilla tape. I then glue it on the gorilla's tape and cut off the edges. With the J hook attachment, I now end up with this:

It feels very sturdy and I've gone months with it so far. Hope this helps someone

PS wear a cap/mask while dremeling

Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY GoPro POV - ninjette.org.pdf (1.74 MB, 0 views)
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked from main DIY sticky

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

You went crazy with the putty! I used some blutack to form a wall around the mount so putty didn't go everywhere.

Nice work on the mount. Glad to have inspired some quality work.

Just make sure you're careful with the J-Hook mount. I've broken the tabs off both of mine (well one is left but it is cracked and will probably break soon). I wondered if it was worth getting the base of the J-Hook made in aluminium but it would be quite expensive. More than the $30 for another bag of mounts anyway.
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Yea, I've broken a couple already as well when dropping the housing. Gotta stop being clumsy.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote