ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Driven Clip On Install

Just finished with my Driven install for the most part tonight. The only DIY I saw for clip ons was for the woodcraft ones and there are some differences, so I figure I would make this quick DIY to help some people out maybe.

First, I removed the fairings, like I do pretty much when I do any work on the bike. Then you have to get the bar ends off. I don't have an impact gun, so I just heated them up with a blow torch for about 30 seconds. After that the screws came right out with a phillips #3 bit in a socket wrench.

Next you need to get the stock grips off. There are a lot of methods around the net for this, but this is what worked amazingly well for me, and it doesn't require compressed air.

Stick a screw driver up under the grip all the way to the end of it, then lift and spray a little chain lube in there. Work the screw driver all the way around and they popped RIGHT OFF, with no residue and the stock grips were in perfect shape after.

Next you loosen the controls on both sides. Easy enough, just 2 screws and a bolt on each one. Then undo the stock handle bars from the middle mount thing and you can pop the handle bars off and slide them out of the stock controls.

The Driven risers I got do NOT come apart completely, so you have to take off that middle mount thing that goes over your forks(no idea what it's called). Take the big nut off in the middle at the bottom. I think it's a 22m but mine came off with a crescent wrench no problem. Next you need to loosen the bolts on either side of it, that is clamping it to your forks. It will just pop right off, just wiggle a little. Once that's off you can slide the risers on to each fork and put that thing back on.

*NOTE* I couldn't get the middle mount thing back on with the bike just on a rear stand. For some reason the bottom part wouldn't go in the hole until I put it up on a front stand also.

Once that's done, you need to drill a hole in your new handle bars just like with the woodcraft DIY. I took my stock handle bars and lined them up with the new ones to mark the hole to drill. Don't just use 1 bar because the holes are in diff spots. You might want to label your bars as well to avoid putting the one with the shorter hole on the wrong side and end up having to take everything apart(woops )

Once that's done, you just need to slide the controls back on the bars first, then put the bar into the riser. Put it all on loosely and start arranging it how you want. Mine seems good now, but I haven't tested it with the fairings on yet. It's real easy to adjust, just loosen up a little and move as you see fit.

ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Nice man! I like that bit with the screw driver to save the stock grips.

Anyways, you have to let us know what you think of the clipons. TBH I am looking at Driven's and not Woodcraft's and would love to know your opinion on them!
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How do you like those grips you paired them with?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
How do you like those grips you paired them with?
I really like the grips a lot. They're only 12 bucks, it's crazy. They fit extremely snug, so it takes some muscle to work them on, but you don't need any glue, no way these are coming off. I had to use chain lube just to get them on. The only thing was that on the throttle one, when I was working it on by turning and pushing, I was doing that just on the inside metal part, and it kind of pulled away from the rubber. You can see it in the pic. But I learned my lesson and put pressure on the rubber and metal for the left side and that one is fine.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Which grips are those? They look perrrty
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Diggin' the blue and gold man, looks real nice! Can't wait to get my nice green/black gel grips on.
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Which grips are those? They look perrrty
Got them from thetwowheels for $12 shipped

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I wonder how the position on this compares to the woodcrafts?
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

The Woodcrafts don't have as much adjustability. So, you can get the Drivens to feel like the WCs, but you can't necessarily get the WCs to feel like the Drivens. Drivens have more pivot room and they can be angled down (or up, if you want that for some weird reason).
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked from DIY sticky

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #11
DailyRidden250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R No longer. '06 Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
*NOTE* I couldn't get the middle mount thing back on with the bike just on a rear stand. For some reason the bottom part wouldn't go in the hole until I put it up on a front stand also.
Just thought I'd share.

You have to have the steering straight or biased/turned toward the right otherwise the stem head does NOT come apart as there is a protrusion on the stem and a channel built into the stem head that interlocks. This is by design so that when you lock the steering, the stem assembly does not come apart.

It is not that you could not get the middle mount thing back on the bike not because it was not on the stand, because it was turned to the left that the welded protrusion on the stem was in the way of the channel of the stem head, preventing it from seating all the way. Turning to the right completely disengages the interlock and will allow you to freely move the stem head up and down.

If my explanation does not make sense and you are having a hard time pulling or installing the stem head; Just turn the steering to the right and try removing/installing the stem head, it should slide right out/in.

HTH
DailyRidden250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:22 AM   #12
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

I was going to post the same info after my install 2 days ago, but then saw no one else mentioned it. I thought I was the only one.

Here are some pics to show the parts I had the hang-up with.

DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #13
DailyRidden250R
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R No longer. '06 Mini

Great minds think alike.

One more thing about the install:

Loosening the bar ends.

I just used philips head on a socket set and used a breaker bar to loosen them.
They came out without much fight. Didn't mess with any fire or heat source of any kind.

Also removing the grip, I used the OP's method about shooting a shot of WD-40 and run the screw driver all the way around to release any adhesion between the metal and the rubber. Once that was done, just spray another shot of WD-40 and the grip will pull out very easily.

The install process is the exact opposite. WD-40 will be absorbed by the grip as a petroleum distillate, I didn't have to use any of those hair spray or adhesive stuff and my grip is and still on SOLID.

HTH
DailyRidden250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

This DIY worked out so awesome. Made everything super easy, especially the trick with the screwdriver and WD-40 for both removing and replacing the grips.

I just finished installing mine (too late at night to take it for a test ride) but I found the brake line coming from the front reservoir the deciding factor for the bar height. It either hit the fairings at full lock on the right, or hit the gauges when trying to go full lock on the left.

Thanks for the walkthrough!
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
This DIY worked out so awesome. Made everything super easy, especially the trick with the screwdriver and WD-40 for both removing and replacing the grips.

I just finished installing mine (too late at night to take it for a test ride) but I found the brake line coming from the front reservoir the deciding factor for the bar height. It either hit the fairings at full lock on the right, or hit the gauges when trying to go full lock on the left.

Thanks for the walkthrough!
Do you have them clamped at the top then? Were you able to get it so it wouldn't hit lock-to-lock?

Old July 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Do you have them clamped at the top then? Were you able to get it so it wouldn't hit lock-to-lock?
I'll take a picture of how low on the forks they're mounted tomorrow. They're not all the way to the triple clamp, maybe about 2" down.

I still have to tweak it a little bit to find the best spot. It'll go lock to lock, but the brake line touches. I'll have to see if I can rotate the brake line, or just adjust the height.

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #17
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

so where can i get these?
ive only heard of wood crafts so far...but then again im new so you know...
and (here i go sounding all cheap) but whats the most affordable ones you could probably find (i know i know...you get what you pay for) but just wondering...cus im also trying to get my gopro here soon so i have to try to cut cost a bit if...IF...possible...if not then ill just have to buy slowly...

p.s... i hate you for having a blue...i couldnt find one here or i think they dont make blue for 2012 which blows big richards... =/
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #18
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

Motomummy was the best price I found @ $161.95 shipped.

Specify 08+ EX250 so they come with the risers.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...d=16930&page=1

You wont regret them...
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #19
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I recently put a pair of Vortex clip-on, and Driven D3 grips on my 2fiddy, the Clip-on's were 150.00, and the Grips were 50.00 from Motorcycle Superstore.

I had to drop the front-end down a bit since the Vortex Clip-ons go above the triple tree.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Ordered mine from Biohazard Cycles. Haven't gotten around to installing them yet though...

http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...dsh-ONS/Detail

Lol, I'd love to have black instead of blue. There weren't too many blue ones for sale and then ended up just going with the blue. Seems to be the more darker of the US blues.

Edit: I chose these over the woodcrafts because those who have them say they're more adjustable. You can make Drivens like Woodcrafts but not really the other way around.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #21
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

thanks for the replies definately gonna have to get some of these...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
I'll take a picture of how low on the forks they're mounted tomorrow. They're not all the way to the triple clamp, maybe about 2" down.

I still have to tweak it a little bit to find the best spot. It'll go lock to lock, but the brake line touches. I'll have to see if I can rotate the brake line, or just adjust the height.
Did you get around to taking those pics yet?

I'm in the middle of my install at the moment but I can't get mine to clear. I've got them as high as they'll go on the triple tree. I can get controls to clear and the brake line just barely touches but the main part I'm concerned with is the bottom of the riser. It's rubbing on the black cowling unless I change the angle of the bars and then of course, I run into levers hitting the windscreen. Gonna google around and hopefully find something. Might just be resorting back to stock bars if I can't get it to stop hitting the black cowling.

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Did you get around to taking those pics yet?
Yup, you can find them in my thread at http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...725#post528725

Old July 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #24
NiJen
ninjette.org member

Name: Enoe

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R Limited Edition

Hi guys,

Good stuff on the DIY!
Quick question... if say I wanted to re-use the stock grips, do I still need to remove the one on the right (throttle side) or do I simply remove the controls with the grip still on?

Cheers!
NiJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 02:53 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJen View Post
Hi guys,

Good stuff on the DIY!
Quick question... if say I wanted to re-use the stock grips, do I still need to remove the one on the right (throttle side) or do I simply remove the controls with the grip still on?

Cheers!
Leave it on.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #26
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinWolfe View Post
Motomummy was the best price I found @ $161.95 shipped.

Specify 08+ EX250 so they come with the risers.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...d=16930&page=1

You wont regret them...
Though it's a few dollars more than BioHazard Cycles, I would order from MotoMummy as well. Corey is awesome, and has always hooked me up nicely and always helpful. I made an order with Corey recently over the MM website and 45 minutes after I hit the "order" button and got the confirmation email, I got an email that said it's been shipped that included the tracking number... 45 minutes!!!!

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:29 AM   #27
NiJen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Leave it on.
Thanks!

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #28
Mowgli
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I just picked up some online for $156 shipped. Should be here end of week
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #29
NiJen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
I just picked up some online for $156 shipped. Should be here end of week
Where'd you get them? Cheapest I could find is $170 plus shipping.

Old November 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #30
Mowgli
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Well found out they charged tax. 169 with tax and free shipping
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #31
OdysseyOfJ
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 & 2008 EX250s

When you have the clip-ons to it's highest position on the forks, how much lower/higher are the handle bars from stock?
OdysseyOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2015, 04:12 AM   #32
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseyOfJ View Post
When you have the clip-ons to it's highest position on the forks, how much lower/higher are the handle bars from stock?
I've never really tried to get them about to stock height. Mine are set up lower for sure and still clear at full lock.