ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

steering lock won't unlock

I'm hoping someone has some sage advice on this. Due to high winds tonight, I moved my bike ('09 ninjette) so it would be facing the wind rather than resting broadside to it. I unlocked it, started it, and turned it. No issue. Then, I was curious to see if I could lock the steering with the wheel turned to the right, rather than to the usual left. No real reason, I just wonder about things like that sometimes. Anyway, it would not. So I locked it to the left and removed the key. I then decided I wanted to move it a little bit more, and went to unlock the steering, and have been unable to ever since. I've tried the key both ways, as well as the spare both ways. It slides in perfectly, and can feel the spring or whatever it is when you push it in to lock/unlock move freely. I can unlock the fuel cap no issue. The only thing I can think of, is that it snowed some before I the tarp on it, and the snow melted today but is quite cold. But if there was ice buildup, it would have prevented me from unlocking in the first place. I have tried squirting WD-40 in the key hole with no change. In trying to find a solution, a common one has been to turn the handlebars until it breaks the mechanism, which I'd really rather not do. Has anyone else encountered this? Any help would be great and I'll pay handsomely up to $5.00 in Monopoly money provided you send me a SASE to send it to you in, or come pick it up in person.

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

wowhave you tried wiggling it ?? dude i have no clue srry hope u get it out

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Try turning the bars as far as they'll go in the direction that they're currently pointing. I've found that sometimes, when I lock the bars and leave the bike, sometimes the bike will settle a little, making the wheel turn ever so slightly in towards the center, which applies some pressure to the bar lock, and makes it impossible to unlock until I turn the bars back towards the outside and release that little bit of pressure.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Yeah.. I forgot to mention that. I have wiggled it more than happy dog does his tail including full distance both directions.

Old March 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you look up from the wheel on the right side (facing the headlight) you can see a tab on the stem, youll see the lock pushing down to lock it. maybe that will give you an idea. got a dremel?

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

have you tried hitting or kick it...

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you twist the bars hard enough you will break the lock. not the best way but it works...

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #8
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

While you have the key in the ignition, at the same time, slowly try turning the key and the bars at the same time...this happened to me before and worked out.
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
It slides in perfectly, and can feel the spring or whatever it is when you push it in to lock/unlock move freely.:
Try this, put the key in and do not apply ANY PRESSURE to the key and turn it to the right.

I do this all the time and get so frustrated. I put the key in and natural push down on the key, yet it doesn't turn. Put in the key, lift up your hand to relieve the downward force pressure and then GENTLY turn the key to the right.

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Thanks all. I've tried all those (except breaking it) with no success. I called the bike shop and the guy is going to stop on his way home. I'll find out when I get home later how he made out and let you know.

Old March 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ive heard of people putting toothpicks or other crap in key holes. key seems like it goes in, but it just wont turn. open the little flap and use a flashlight to look down it. there might just be something in there. you can try using compressed air to get it out of there is. you might try spraying some lube down the key hole.

Old March 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I instinctively wiggle the handlebars when turning the key and it always frees. It's the same way I lock it, considering that it doesn't work at quite full lock.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM   #13
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Just in case anyone is interested, here is the update:

The guy from the bike shop stopped off on his way home and took a look at it, and I got home about 2 hours later. Apparently, he got the key from the babysitter, unlocked it, said it was all in how you turn the key, and left. Here and gone within 2 minutes, literally. I'm sure he's thinking that I just wasn't doing it right, but I don't think that's the case. I've locked and unlocked it enough to be confident in saying I know how to do it. I tried it the next morning, and it worked smoothly. Actually, it seemed to turn more easily than ever. The only thing I can think of, is that I had sprayed a little WD-40 in the key hole the night before, and maybe after a few hours and a warm day it worked it's magic and that's why it worked for the mechanic. Anyways, since then, it's been used a few times with no hiccups.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice.

Old July 28th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #14
clifford95066
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Clifford

Motorcycle(s): CB400 Project Big One

Hi guys,

Just to share..I have the same problem for my CB400 project Big One a few days ago..Spent more than 15 mins turning it but it won't work. Did not use too much force as
worried that key may break and get stuck inside.

Guess the steering lock is old..Just sprayed a bit of WD40 into the keyhole and Wah La!

The key is able to turn! Hope this helps...
clifford95066 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #15
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Locks can freeze, simply adding a little lubricant can make them feel new again. Have had to do it to my mail box. As for the bike, I know that I have usually never had an issue with the lock but usually the best motion is to push the handle bars to the left as you lock it and some times you have to push right a little to unlock. The alignment makes all the difference.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:15 AM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
With a lot of locks, you have to push down on the key to get it to turn.

Recommend also you get some lube for the ignition cylinder. IMO, graphite is the best.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:47 AM   #17
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Lubricant in the lock is good. I actually had this problem once with my Ninja 650's fuel cap lock... when I was nearly out of gas and away from my tools. If the lube sitting in the cylinder doesn't work, raking the key or a pick along it while applying compressed air can also do the trick.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote