View Full Version : Crash. Lowside

wolfpuss
April 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Was riding around with some buddy's today and the unimaginable happened..

Following both my friends and they both slammed on their brakes to avoid a 4in h divit on the road. While my dumbass thought that it would be a smart idea to pass them on the other lane since it was clear for like 5 mins... Wrong. Some car was there doing the same speed like us. (was doing 60 in a 45 )
Ended up freaking out And locking the rear brake up hit the divit on the road and low sided the bike. I ended up hitting my head pretty hard on his rear tire bounced around and hit his muffler. MY GEAR SAVED MY LIFE!!
The helmet and the Knox protector worked flawlessly. Saved my back and my elbows and the helmet. Whew. What an awesome thing!!
My pants are shredded by the knees and I have some pretty bad road rash on my right knee and a hurt ankle.

The bike seems ok. The forks might be bent or misaligned and a little scratch on the upper fairing.

I'm planning on purchasing some new gear this payday.

Jacket
Helmet
Pants

I'm NEVER riding without gear EVER

EthioKnight
April 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
God...that sounds nightmarish. Glad you walked away with nothing serious.
...um, btw what's "divit"...even google doesn't know that word ;)

Klondike1020
April 3rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
That sucks man . Glad u walked away with nothing serious

Divot is the word I believe like a dip trench or linear pothole I think

It is specific to like a piece of sod ripped up from a golf club or horse hoofe but i have heard it used to describe a sudden abrupt dip in any surface such as body work bondo or pavement

EthioKnight
April 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM

It is specific to like a piece of sod ripped up from a golf club or horse hoofe but i have heard it used to describe a sudden abrupt dip in any surface such as body work bondo or pavement

Ahh..tnx!

greg737
April 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM

Jules: Do you know why they call it a Royale with cheese?
Brett: Because of the metric system?
Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You one smart motherf'er.

BlackNinja8
April 3rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
jules: Do you know why they call it a royale with cheese?
Jules: Check out the big brain on brett! You one smart motherf'er.

hahahahahahaha....

TBC
April 3rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Jules: Do you know why they call it a Royale with cheese?
Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You one smart motherf'er.
Now: What does the divot look like?

OP - were you wearing riding pants? Boots?

alex.s
April 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
the bigger question; what were your friends riding?

wolfpuss
April 4th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Now: What does the divot look like?

OP - were you wearing riding pants? Boots?

It's like a small dip on the road from the city doing some road work.

No riding pants

wolfpuss
April 4th, 2012, 02:26 AM
the bigger question; what were your friends riding?

One has a 04 zx12 and the other has 01 zx 9

JeffM
April 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Hi Randy. Glad you are ok from your crash.

Let's break this down. What do you think you could have done differently and what did you learn to improve your riding skills from your low side:

Following both my friends and they both slammed on their brakes to avoid a 4in h divit on the road.

How close were you following? What are all the riders skill levels? Looks like there was a wee lack of situational awareness by all involved.

While my dumbass thought that it would be a smart idea to pass them on the other lane since it was clear for like 5 mins... Wrong. Some car was there doing the same speed like us. (was doing 60 in a 45 )

Again, situational awareness with, I guess, target fixation mixed in (watching buddies slamming on their brakes - "freaking out"). Why did you assume there would not be a car there?

Ended up freaking out And locking the rear brake up hit the divit on the road and low sided the bike. I ended up hitting my head pretty hard on his rear tire bounced around and hit his muffler.

More target fixation. Also, did you use the front brake? Could you have stopped in time or swerved to avoid the pot-hole? How did the bike low side?

MY GEAR SAVED MY LIFE!!

:thumbup:

The helmet and the Knox protector worked flawlessly. Saved my back and my elbows and the helmet. Whew. What an awesome thing!!
My pants are shredded by the knees and I have some pretty bad road rash on my right knee and a hurt ankle.

:thumbup:

The bike seems ok. The forks might be bent or misaligned and a little scratch on the upper fairing.

Let's see some photos.

I'm planning on purchasing some new gear this payday.

Jacket
Helmet
Pants

I'm NEVER riding without gear EVER

:thumbup: Boots too.

Jeff