View Full Version : Tank bag/backpack combo recommendations?

Sordino
April 5th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I am looking for a tank bag that I can also remove from my bike and use it as a backpack. I was looking at this FirstGear Laguna ( http://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Laguna-GPS-Tank-Backpack/dp/B002KPJ25C ) but if anyone else has any experience/personal preference that would be great.

Alex
April 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
/moved to new-gen farkles

BlackNinja8
April 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I am looking for a tank bag that I can also remove from my bike and use it as a backpack. I was looking at this FirstGear Laguna ( http://www.amazon.com/Firstgear-Laguna-GPS-Tank-Backpack/dp/B002KPJ25C ) but if anyone else has any experience/personal preference that would be great.

Icon Urban will surely be mentioned but I would caution against that choice. Functionally its a great option. I used it for commuting holding my laptop. Shoes, slacks, wallet. And phone, etc. Ive also stuffed it full of groceries, my gear, and many other things. I love the size and back pack features.

BUT recently it picked up a paperclip on one of the magnets which went to work on my gas tank for the 45 min ride home. This was definitely my fault but I think the 4 spread out contact points for the magnets make it difficult to CAREFULLY secure the bag with out one of the points snapping down on the tank. As you lower one point the others catch and they are too far apart to hold each one back and secure one at a time. Also difficult to remove carefully for the same reason. I think the bags with one large magnetic flap on each side would be better for this reason.

Also the material is rather thin and not very durable over the long haul. Ive had it for three weeks and it hasn't ripped or anything other than the magnetic point where the paper clip wastore through the leather protector leaving an exposed magnet.

Overall a good bag but take care not to make the mistake I made.

saxnbass
April 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Subbed, as I'm looking for one too. I've been looking at the Icon Urban for a while now, but haven't actually bought one yet.

BlackNinja8
April 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Subbed, as I'm looking for one too. I've been looking at the Icon Urban for a while now, but haven't actually bought one yet.

How are you planning to use it. Occasionally or as a daily commuter? IMO it would shine as an occasional use pack but it got annoyining trying to carefully attach fully loaded 2x everyday hence my lazy mistake. Plus material is on the thin side. See my comments above.

saxnbass
April 5th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Everyday commuting, to and from school; 6 days a week, sometimes multiple times a day.

The super strong magnets may be a good thing, as the CBR has a plastic fairing over the tank, so it needs to hold to the tank through that plastic.

Sordino
April 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Icon Urban will surely be mentioned but I would caution against that choice. Functionally its a great option. I used it for commuting holding my laptop. Shoes, slacks, wallet. And phone, etc. Ive also stuffed it full of groceries, my gear, and many other things. I love the size and back pack features.

BUT recently it picked up a paperclip on one of the magnets which went to work on my gas tank for the 45 min ride home. This was definitely my fault but I think the 4 spread out contact points for the magnets make it difficult to CAREFULLY secure the bag with out one of the points snapping down on the tank. As you lower one point the others catch and they are too far apart to hold each one back and secure one at a time. Also difficult to remove carefully for the same reason. I think the bags with one large magnetic flap on each side would be better for this reason.

Also the material is rather thin and not very durable over the long haul. Ive had it for three weeks and it hasn't ripped or anything other than the magnetic point where the paper clip wastore through the leather protector leaving an exposed magnet.

Overall a good bag but take care not to make the mistake I made.

Thanks for the advice, that actually does look like a nice bag and I was looking at it as well. But I do agree with you about the magnets, I've looked at a couple tank bags in the store and wasn't very happy with the design for the same reasons you stated.

I would like something as durable as possible, I've heard the same problem with the leather protectors on the Icon Urban before.

smackenz
April 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
i found an icon urban tank bag for my mom as she was looking for quick on and off luggage for her bike- a 1984 honda cm450 she never found any pics of that bike with luggage mounted to it so she was very excited when i found this tank bag off a local forum for only $50 with like new condition. I know she absolutely loves it, you can pack alot in there and the guy who was talking about its hard to take on and off i think you just need to practice a little bit

adouglas
April 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I've got the Axio semi-hard bag. It's got stowable backpack straps. I thought I'd be using it as a backpack all the time. The bag is expensive but really, really good. Note: The blue does NOT match my bike. If you go for it, get black.

In fact I've used it as a backpack only once, when I did a trip to see the USGP at Indianapolis. For me, the backpack aspect is of almost no usefulness... but I didn't know that until I'd already bought it.

Caveat: I don't need to carry it around a lot off the bike as a rule. I ride to work, walk inside, and stay there all day.

jack_bm
April 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I got this one, its not one of these big branded names but its big and fits alot in it, i haven't used it loads but im going on a 180mile ride tomorrow with it and it will be pretty full, it seems really good for the price as well

Can also be made into a bag as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-TANK-BAG-PREMIUM-QUALITY-RACK-SACK-CARRY-HANDLE-NEW-/350490584574?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item519adde5fe

saxnbass
April 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I've got the Axio semi-hard bag. It's got stowable backpack straps. I thought I'd be using it as a backpack all the time. The bag is expensive but really, really good. Note: The blue does NOT match my bike. If you go for it, get black.

In fact I've used it as a backpack only once, when I did a trip to see the USGP at Indianapolis. For me, the backpack aspect is of almost no usefulness... but I didn't know that until I'd already bought it.

Caveat: I don't need to carry it around a lot off the bike as a rule. I ride to work, walk inside, and stay there all day.

Can you fit a laptop in this bag? How strong are the magnets, would they work on a tank with a plastic on it? Do you happen to have a link to the bag?

reaubideux
April 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'll be the first, and probably not the last, to chime in with the Rapid Transit Recon 19 bag (http://www.revzilla.com/product/rapid-transit-recon-19-magnetic-tank-bag). I've got it, fits the Ninjette perfectly and has a great number of features on it.

I gave a review of it with some pictures here (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93240). (Scroll down a bit, it's a long post)

adouglas
April 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Can you fit a laptop in this bag? How strong are the magnets, would they work on a tank with a plastic on it? Do you happen to have a link to the bag?

I have a MacBook Pro 15" and it does fit, barely.

The magnets are plenty strong for the Ninjette tank. I cannot speak for other bikes or bikes with half-plastic tanks. However, I lurk in the Gixxer forum and somebody over there had a clever solution for the plastic tank issue... he bought some super-strong neodymium magnets and glued them under the plastic where the bag magnets lay on the tank. Done.

A lot of bags have four magnetic mounting points. This one has three. The side wings line up nicely with the Ninjette tank shape... almost like it was made for the bike. If you scroll through the images at the link below there's a picture of the flaps.

It also comes with straps, but i've never used them.

The map holder is all-vinyl and snaps on. It's rather lame and I just took it off.

http://axioluggage.com/tankbag_carbon.html

Of course, you can get it a bit cheaper if you shop around.

thurt88
April 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have the Icon Urban tank bag and I love it. The magnets WILL NOT work on a CBR, they arent that strong. Actually, I can't think of any tank bags that will work on the cbr's with the plastic tank cover. I had a cbr and that was always my woe.

Urban tank bag fits both my bikes fine and it holds alot. So the magnets pick up crap... just clean them b4 u place it on the bike. My Joe Rocket manta bag picks up crap too, they prolly all do.

Here is the thread I started a while ago about this same thing.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99324

BlackNinja8
April 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM
the guy who was talking about its hard to take on and off i think you just need to practice a little bit

Practice removing a tankbag? Really? It's not hard to remove, but it is hard to remove without letting any of the 4 magnets slide on the tank. Not a big deal if you make sure the contact surfaces are clear EVERYTIME. No problem nine times out of ten, but after that one F-up my tank looks like it tried to rape a cat.

Nice bag don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind owning another one. Just need to be aware is all I'm saying.

saxnbass
April 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
my tank looks like it tried to rape a cat.

:eek::eek::eek:
And how do you feel about that? :p :D

adouglas
April 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
:eek::eek::eek:
And how do you feel about that? :p :D

Better than the cat does, I'm sure.