View Full Version : Uphill Portion of My Daily Commute

kkim
November 29th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I finally got all the stuff needed to put a vid together of the ride that I have as my daily commute. This is the uphill portion. The battery died before I could record the downhill, so that will be done later. Hope you all enjoy it.... excuse the crappy vid quality as I'm using a very rudimentary method (can you say velcro and duct tape?? :p ) of camera mounting and stabilization, which works just fine for me. :)

Vid is about 17 minutes long.....

Guess why I ride a motorcycle to work? :p

Throttle Rocket
November 29th, 2008, 01:22 AM
WOW ! What a sweet road ! Yeah with conditions like that, I can see where it would be a commute to look forward to. :p

kkim
December 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
WOW ! What a sweet road ! Yeah with conditions like that, I can see where it would be a commute to look forward to. :p

Thanks, Robert. Be sure to stick a video camera on your bike when you guys go riding and share the interesting roads in your area, too. :)

Anthony_marr
December 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I finally got all the stuff needed to put a vid together of the ride that I have as my daily commute. This is the uphill portion. The battery died before I could record the downhill, so that will be done later. Hope you all enjoy it.... excuse the crappy vid quality as I'm using a very rudimentary method (can you say velcro and duct tape?? :p ) of camera mounting and stabilization, which works just fine for me. :)

Well Mr. Kim, my hat (helmet) off to you. I may have to install a turbo in my bike to catch up with you.

In my upcoming 40-states-in-6-months continental tour (June-Dec 2009 - see my profile here or www.myspace.com/AnthonyMarr), I will certainly be mounting a cam on my bike, and a mic in my helmet. I've been debating between a helmet cam or a tank cam. More and more I'm drifiting towards the latter.

Ride on!

Anthony

kkim
December 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Well Mr. Kim, my hat off to you. I may have to install a turbo in my bike to catch up with you.

In my upcoming 40-states-in-6-months continental tour (June-Dec 2009 - see my profile of www.myspace.com/AnthonyMarr), I will certainly be mounting a cam on my bike, and a mike in my helmet.

Ride on!

Anthony

Anthony,

It's a shame you won't be out my way, but I understand and salute you for the grit to undertake such a journey. I look forward to seeing video from your exploits.

All the best to you and I will pray for you to have a safe and successful journey.

Aloha nui loa,
Kelly

Anthony_marr
December 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Anthony,

It's a shame you won't be out my way, but I understand and salute you for the grit to undertake such a journey. I look forward to seeing video from your exploits.

All the best to you and I will pray for you to have a safe and successful journey.

Aloha nui loa,
Kelly

Kelly,

I may not have Hawaii in my itinerary this round, I might include it in my next. That road you were on makes me want to experience it for myself.

Anthony

kkim
December 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Kelly,

I may not have Hawaii in my itinerary this round, I might include it in my next. That road you were on makes me want to experience it for myself.

Anthony

If you include Kauai on your next tour, I'll be sure to ride with you... rain or shine. :)

:ride:

Anthony_marr
December 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
If you include Kauai on your next tour, I'll be sure to ride with you... rain or shine. :)

Kelly, you're on! :thumbup:

Anthony

ps - Wait, let me get some racing tires. :D

kkim
December 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Kelly, you're on! :thumbup:

Anthony

ps - Wait, let me get some racing tires. :D

Cool! Hope it can become a reality. I would really like to meet you, someday.

No need for race tires... you ride what you have at your own comfortable pace... I push no one when I ride with other people... it's all about enjoyment. :)

I only ride like the vid when I'm by myself. :D

247Blackout
December 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Wow, the roads are insane after about 5 minutes. I'm jealous. If I'm ever in your neighborhood with a bike, you're going to have to take me on that road! Your bike sounds awesome too!

kkim
December 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Wow, the roads are insane after about 5 minutes. I'm jealous. If I'm ever in your neighborhood with a bike, you're going to have to take me on that road! Your bike sounds awesome too!

I'm always up for visitors... but good luck getting your bike to the island. :(

Thanks... it's an Area P quiet core exhaust.

VeX
December 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Ahh yes the commuting video. Great vid Kelly! I'm jealous of your daily commute :D

conchwanab
December 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Wow,that is just fantastic!!I get to ride through a national park on the way in to work everyday but nothing compared to your commute.I'm usually always on the lookout for deer,coyotes and turkey.They always have a habit of jumpin out at the last minute.Once again thanks for the awesome video and safe riding to ya!!

kkim
December 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks, guys! I do feel very fortunate the road to work is as fun as it is, but as conch pointed out, it can be very dangerous. All sorts of animals to look out for, both 4 and 2 legged, that can really make you have a bad day or worse. The weather can be really foul at times, too. I try to use the bike only when I know it's going to be perfect weather both up and down the hill.

Cochese
December 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
And the speed limit on that road is................ ?

:behindsofa:

I saw that double yellow violation too, mister.

:p

kkim
December 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

bwahaha... what are you... a cop??? :D

CRXTrek
December 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
:squid::squid::squid::squid::squid::squid:

kkim
December 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
:squid::squid::squid::squid::squid::squid:

why, thank you! :D

CRXTrek
December 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
why, thank you! :D

I'm "The Pot calling the Kettle black"
:D:D:D:D:D:D

kkim
December 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
I'm "The Pot calling the Kettle black"
:D:D:D:D:D:D

we are all squids in one form or another... I don't care how new or how experienced a rider you are.

g21-30
December 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM

I stopped watching the video at that point. :eek:

muffinman
January 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
mad skillz :eek:

it's going to be a while before i can ride like that

how fast were you going (if you don't mind me asking)?

kkim
January 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
a bit above the 25mph posted limit. :)

noche_caliente
January 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Arthur - after you get your bike tomorrow and get some time riding it, you'll know exactly how fast he was going by listening to the engine :)

Broom
January 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM

i was gonna say.... i've been to HI a few times, and if i remember right the speed limits are WAY low. nice riding Kim... now get your ass to the track! :D

do you happen to have a pict of your camera "mount"? i have an older mini dv style camera that i was thinking of duct taping to my tank for my first race in february. curious to see how you did it exactly before i give it a shot.

kkim
January 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I used this method from beast. :D

http://www.kawiforums.com/showpost.php?p=1267209&postcount=20

I wish there were tracks in Hawaii, but there are none. :(

Broom
January 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
yeah, i wondering if you had any tracks....

as for the mount, i no longer have a dashboard, so thats not going to work out for me :rolleyes:

CC Cowboy
January 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I wish there were tracks in Hawaii, but there are none. :([/QUOTE]

Kelly, I have read about a racing school on one of the islands. It is a car school but.... if you ask nice maybe they willl let you try a few laps.
http://www.hawaiiracewaypark.com/
I guess there are no excuses now.

As for the road to work. I hope you coast all the way back down. That way you can average your gas mileage and tell everyone you get 100 miles per gallon, or better.

kkim
January 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
CC- that race track has been closed for the last few years due to a lease expiration. The EPA was insisting they update the restroom facilities would have cost the owner millions. He bailed.

Hawaii Raceway Park was the gathering place for all types of racing, including motorcycles. If that place were still open, I'd be very tempted to move back to Oahu... and I don't like Oahu at all. :mad:

They are currently trying to establish another raceway somewhere on Oahu, but the motorsports factions have so much infighting nothing advances. I'm "stuck" with this ride to work. :D

Riding that way up the hill and similarly down, I average over 50mpg... I'm happy. :)

Broom- Hero camera w/ the suction mount on the tank, perhaps?

CC Cowboy
January 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Kelly, I feel for you buddy. I'm glad you have the gumption to stick it out and deal with the cards you were dealt concerning that long trek to work and back.

kkim
January 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks... I do what I can. :o

Nemy
January 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
:eek: I just saw this for the first time lol. Always wondered why you had a link to your ride to work... You are one lucky SOB with nice riding skills :cool:! When I get down there, can I visit you at work?!

Better yet, are you hiring? I need a job for the next 6 months :thumbup:

NJD022588
January 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Just a bit. I think i remember calculating about 46mph average a while back.

kkim
January 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
:whistle:

ak_907_ak
January 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
it seems all the posted limits in kauai are a little slow.
Soon, kim I hopefully get a chance to ride this, even if it is only a scooter:D

CANTFUNCTION
June 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
:thumbup:Man you got some great riding skills. I see why you ride your bike to work now. I just wish my commute was like that.

SteveL
June 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Thanks for that fantastic road and so little traffic.

Steve

Banzai
June 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
After watching the video, would now be the time to say "I hate you"? :D:D

I'm jealous, you have such a great ride. I have to go some 100+ miles to find something like that, and even then it's not really all that.

My morning commute is more like 24 miles of dodging income soccer moms at ludicrous speed while shooting over bridges, through tunnels, and compensating for 20+ mph cross winds. Still, live to ride!

:thumbup:

noche_caliente
June 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thomas - you should just move to the nicer part of the state :)

NJD022588
June 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
^^^ I agree! There are some amazing roads in the western part of the state. Cant wait to get back there!

Momaru
June 19th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'll third that statement; West side VA is some pretty riding and that's coming from someone who's only been sticking to major highways so far. Need to find some of t he nice backroads out here sometime this summer. :grin:

Banzai
June 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thomas - you should just move to the nicer part of the state :)

Wish I could. In another 18 months I'll be retired and looking for another job! Until then, anywhere is north or west of where I'm at, and a HECK of a long commute to the Naval Base!

OrlandoF0891
June 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
man i wish i had roads like that here in florida

Cedilla
June 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Wow I wish that was my commute to work! :ride: Mine is about 4 or 5 miles of relatively strait 2 lane hiways, a 10 mile criuse down a 4 lane hiway, a 6 or 7 mile ride down a city road with one turn and several redlights, and finally a 4 mile twisty scenic mountain road that is great untill I catch up to the long line of cars stuck behind grandma.:mad:

richierich781
June 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
bwahaha... what are you... a cop??? :D

kim your a rebel:thumbup:, lol, but i did notice a 25 mph sign in the beginning of the video.:D nice road.

Houkan
June 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Thanks, guys! I do feel very fortunate the road to work is as fun as it is, but as conch pointed out, it can be very dangerous. All sorts of animals to look out for, both 4 and 2 legged, that can really make you have a bad day or worse. The weather can be really foul at times, too. I try to use the bike only when I know it's going to be perfect weather both up and down the hill.

friggen nene geese >.> there was a big ass one in the middle of the road one of the runs i took up there, when it finally decided to move it almost flew straight in my face.

kkim
June 26th, 2009, 04:05 AM
most likely not nene, but one of those franklins. I've clipped a chicken or two w/ the bike before. stupid roosters! :mad:

Jerry
June 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
the jury's still out, but you may have me beat on my bragadocious claim to "best commute in the world"

I'll see if I can figure out a way to post some video one of these days, that's a nice ride.

kkim
June 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Mahalo, Jerry... coming from you, that's quite a compliment. :yo: I look forward to seeing your commute on video as I saw that map you included in one of your posts and it had me drooling. :drool:

OldGuy
October 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM
:bump: :bump:

"Had" to drive Kelly's commute route the last two days in a cage on our trip to Kauai to see the sights.

How sweet it is.

Now looking in the want adds for a job on Kauai - but don't tell the wife. :)

kkim
October 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Now looking in the want adds for a job on Kauai - but don't tell the wife. :)

Good luck with that! :D

CZroe
October 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM
Good luck with that! :D

Hey Mr. Recently Retired... can he take your old job? ;)

ajaygraci
October 31st, 2009, 06:10 AM
wow..that looks like fun.. gr8 fun.. but like 60+ in a 25! just dont get a ticket!.. wow i wish i knew of roads like that

Anthony_marr
October 31st, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi Kelly,

I've taken the liberty to plant your video into one of my sites:

www.myspace.com/AnthonyMarr

I hope it's okay with you.

Anthony

kkim
October 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Anthony,

I have no problem with you doing so. I'm honored. :o

Sailariel
November 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Kelly, Great ride! Had my cat sitting on my lap---usually does when I do the computer. Anyway, the cat was moving her head side to side watching the video. It was really funny.

ally99
July 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Kelly, you are the only person I know who is able to call your commute to work a perk of your job. VERY nice! :-) When you passed on the double yellow, you had plenty of sight distance ahead. For what it's worth, I would have done the same thing. :thumbup:

ScorpionNinja
July 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I envy your roads kelly! :p

You ride like a :squid: j/k :heh:

In the furture, i myself would like to get a Go-pro camera!

99% of the roads here in Michigan are straight and :bored:

kkim
July 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
In the furture, i myself would like to get a Go-pro camera!

that vid was taken with a Kodak digital camera set to video mode. it was velcro'ed to the dash and duct taped to the windshield. :p

Yep, I need to redo that uphill vid one of these days now that I've got the GoPro. BTW, it's a great toy. :D

choneofakind
March 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Now I just hate living in Ohio that much more... :mad:

Xoulrath
March 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
You know he lives on a volcano, right? He risks his life everyday! He deserves to be rewarded with roads like that! :p :thumbup:

choneofakind
March 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Does living in the snow belt in Ohio count as a risk? I feel like I'm worthy of a reward like that

Gorilla25
June 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Ahhhhh...the Waimea to Koke'e...at first i was wondering why you never made a video of the Kekaha route, then i read its your commute to work :/ ..too bad u dont live in Kekaha..lol...on second thought, you should make a video of the kekaha way..from the minimart :) ...much more twisties for everyone to see:thumbup:

kkim
June 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
here's the downhill going down the kekaha way. :D

HsRNSxuj86w

Gorilla25
June 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
:thumbup::happy50:....but u make me miss home now:( esp. since koke'e is my back yard:D

ungluck
June 23rd, 2011, 04:29 AM
Oahu stinks..i agree Kelly.

btw..STRAP YER HELMET!!!

great ride..so envious..i HATE riding to town...H1 of DEATH...potholes, debris, military wives..bleh..

so envious...:thumbup::thumbup:

rusninja
June 23rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
like 70 mph! :O

kkim
June 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
btw..STRAP YER HELMET!!!

good eye! I normally never ride w/o strapping it, but I had forgotten to do so, that day, for some unknown reason. :o

CC Cowboy
June 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
good eye! I normally never ride w/o strapping it, but i had forgotten to do so, that day, for some unknown reason. :o

loser!!!!!!!!!

kkim
June 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
loser!!!!!!!!!

yeah, I know. :(

I'm working on it, though... does that count? :D

CC Cowboy
June 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
You only get one mulligan!

ally99
June 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
good eye! I normally never ride w/o strapping it, but I had forgotten to do so, that day, for some unknown reason. :o

Doesn't that go against ATGATT? ;) Or does it? :p

matha028
July 11th, 2011, 06:23 PM
wow a road with no traffic lights. I want one!