View Full Version : It finally happened

RyderRider15
April 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Luckily I got it all on video while working on my knee to knee and knee down. It was just a stupid small "crash" but still sucks. Went for 11,000 miles with out so much as dropping it :(

UO_fWiJZRuY

loz944
April 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just bad luck i think maybe because you were vlogging you were not concentrating enough

glad no real damage

EthioKnight
April 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sh!t happens bro, good thing you were in a safe environment and wearing all your gear. Not particularly happy about how you started the bike after the drop (cringed through your starting attempts), you ought to have opened the throttle and allowed the float bowels to fill up instead continuously cranking...but yeah, glad you're OK. Happy trails :)

RyderRider15
April 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sh!t happens bro, good thing you were in a safe environment and wearing all your gear. Not particularly happy about how you started the bike after the drop (cringed through your starting attempts), you ought to have opened the throttle and allowed the float bowels to fill up instead continuously cranking...but yeah, glad you're OK. Happy trails :)

I actually knew that thanks to "Race to Dakar", but was a little hot after the stupid mistake and didn't think to do that >.<

CZroe
April 13th, 2012, 10:47 PM
It always happens on the exhaust side. :(

I might be going up to Durham soon to visit my older brother and his girlfriend. They've been living there for over a year waiting for a lung transplant that finally happened two days ago. :)

Motofool
April 14th, 2012, 07:32 AM
John,

What exactly happened at 3:47?

I can't see a reason for the fall.

Ninja1
April 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Did you grab the front brakes while turning?

CC Cowboy
April 14th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Recommendation:

First: If you want to practice in that parking lot, use the travel lanes and not the parking spots. The travel lanes will be cleaner of dust, dirt, and shite. Take your turns at the end of the parking lot (as traffic would do). There seems to be 3 lanes so you can do both right and left turns without having to change directions.

Second: Don't crash!

Klondike1020
April 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Great video ! I love how calmly u narrate the whole thIng .
Sorry u dropped it . Happens to every one some time

Lol you might be over thInking things a bit . Like it is imPortant to practice good techniques but ridding comes a little more natural if you ride and develops a feel then later spend time watching a video and getting some out side perspective . If you are explaining your every move in you head if might divert your focus a bit !

And preps for not stopping the camera rigt after you fell most people stop rolling and it was good to see you. Calmly pick up your bike , check it out and get back in the saddle and rip

Samer
April 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
John,

The reason for the fall in my opinion is lack of speed. Just before the turn which caused the fall, the bike was almost completely stopped. In that case, you would need a significant amount of counter balancing (shifting your weight in the opposite direction of the turn) to make a sharp turn like that at such a slow speed. I think your brain was tuned to turning at a higher speed, and possibly the distraction of vlogging was a factor. Bottom line, going that slow, if you lean into the turn that's what will happen. There isn't nearly enough centrifugal force keeping you up in that case.

the big mike
April 14th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I had to laugh when your blinker just fell of again :) But you could just superglue that back on, don't you?

It happened to me too once and I my right mirror cracked, so I had to replace that :)

Why is it more difficult to turn left than to turn right?

ForceofWill
April 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
:( that sucks man. Glad there wasn't really much damage though. I'm not gonna lie, I did LOL when you were like, "the idea is to.......and wreck your bike." :p

TnNinjaGirl
April 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Why did you have your fingers covering the front brake at such low speeds?

RyderRider15
April 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
John,

The reason for the fall in my opinion is lack of speed. Just before the turn which caused the fall, the bike was almost completely stopped. In that case, you would need a significant amount of counter balancing (shifting your weight in the opposite direction of the turn) to make a sharp turn like that at such a slow speed. I think your brain was tuned to turning at a higher speed, and possibly the distraction of vlogging was a factor. Bottom line, going that slow, if you lean into the turn that's what will happen. There isn't nearly enough centrifugal force keeping you up in that case.

The reason imo was I didn't give it enough throttle to pull myself through the turn. Like I said before, I do these a lot actually and generally I do allow the bike to motion stall a little then give the bike enough throttle to pull itself back up. I also use A LOT of counter weighting, matter if fact my MSF teachers were stunned about the amount I used. While they said it wasn't bad that I was using so much, they had never seen someone do that before. To add to this, I own a 125CC dirtbike, and I'm able to do 360 degree turns back to back in a space of around 4-6 feet. Though I cant and won't do that with my Ninja, I would have the bike leaned over so far I'd be nearly dragging peg while doing it lol. Once I actually had it leaned over so far doing a 360 like that my kickstand hit, and I had a small crash, ended up standing on my 125 like a skate board laughing :D

Did you grab the front brakes while turning?

Why did you have your fingers covering the front brake at such low speeds?
No I didn't grab the front brake, however yes I shouldn't of been hovering them.

Why is it more difficult to turn left than to turn right?
I feel that is because when making a higher speed right turn like I was in the 1st part of the video, the throttle is on the inside of the turn, and people tend to put their weight on the inside handle bar when turning, which causes choppy throttle control.

At any rate I did make a follow up video to this

x0LhY0P1qgs