View Full Version : Rear Fender Chop and Moved Turn Signals Today

Renner
April 9th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Well had some time to kill after Easter Brunch so I chopped the rear fender and mounted the turn signals in a new spot....the fender cut could of been better but ehhh...its fine for now I will sand it out later. Also realized I need to paint the bolts black as the silver ones look horrible.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x381/joseph145379/WP_000077.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x381/joseph145379/WP_000078.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x381/joseph145379/WP_000079.jpg

Snake
April 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Great job it looks great.

Jono
April 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Why not put the turn signals in the pods next to the brake light??

Renner
April 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Why not put the turn signals in the pods next to the brake light??

I was going to do that and still will, but couldn't figure out a way to do it. The socket that holds the bulb didn't look like it would work if I cut the surrounding plastic. Got directions?

Jono
April 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I was going to do that and still will, but couldn't figure out a way to do it. The socket that holds the bulb didn't look like it would work if I cut the surrounding plastic. Got directions?

Ahh gotcha! And kinda... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89907

You have to get the socket and wiring out of the sock signal. I had to break the plastic signal that holds socket in order to get it out.

The hot glued them into the pods on the bike. It is simple.

Renner
April 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ahh gotcha! And kinda... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89907

You have to get the socket and wiring out of the sock signal. I had to break the plastic signal that holds socket in order to get it out.

The hot glued them into the pods on the bike. It is simple.

See I can get the wires out, but I figured you needed some of the plastic housing as that is what the socket spring presses against and I couldnt figure that part out.

choneofakind
April 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
If you want to clean up the lines a little on the fender, use a lighter lightly back and forth on the cut. It will melt the edges a little and clean it up a ton

Renner
April 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
If you want to clean up the lines a little on the fender, use a lighter lightly back and forth on the cut. It will melt the edges a little and clean it up a ton

Good tips thanks! My plate covers the rear now so you no longer see the hack job from the back, but I will do that to the side! :thumbup:

choneofakind
April 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM
make sure to use a file first to make the lines all straight and even, then the lighter will make all the edges clean and smooth :thumbup:

Renner
April 9th, 2012, 05:19 PM
make sure to use a file first to make the lines all straight and even, then the lighter will make all the edges clean and smooth :thumbup:

Good looking out! :cheers:

Csmith9
April 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Why don't you just cut the wires from the exterior signals and then cut the wires from the out side tail lights and properly cover up the tail light wires as to prevent any thing bad happening and then solder on the signal wires to the wires that are into the 2 side brake lights.
If that makes any sense at all...

That's what I did for my wiring and it works perfectly.

choneofakind
April 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
there should be bullet style connectors on the wiring for your signals anyways, no cutting is necessary.

Csmith9
April 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I remember those connectors, I had to cut them because the outer brake lights didn't have those same connectors, so I spliced those wires with the connectors onto the brake light wires.

Renner
April 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
When I took apart the brake light on both sides I seen the hole for a light but couldn't figure out how to insert the socket as the original turns use the plastic back to keep the spring in place. Does anyone have a picture of when everyone is talking about? I would love to integrate the turn signals but don't know what to do. Thanks

choneofakind
April 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
take off the lens. slide the wiring through, then glue the socket in the hole. put in a bulb and put in a bulb. That's it

Renner
April 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
take off the lens. slide the wiring through, then glue the socket in the hole. put in a bulb and put in a bulb. That's it

See thats the issue...the socket on a 2006 is actually plastic molded to the rest of the turn signal it is not a piece that comes completely out. When you disassemble the light socket you are left with 2 wires, a spring a bottom plate and the top ring that secures the socket. If you do not have something to hold the bottom plate compressed using the spring to the top plate then the connectors do not touch. See what I am saying?

choneofakind
April 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM
ohhhh just go to Radio shack and get some 1156 (or 1157, whichever is a single contact bulb) sockets, and install those. Should be like $5.00 total. Ditch the oem turn signal pods

Renner
April 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
ohhhh just go to Radio shack and get some 1156 (or 1157, whichever is a single contact bulb) sockets, and install those. Should be like $5.00 total. Ditch the oem turn signal pods

That's what I needed to know....thanks man!!!

choneofakind
April 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM
np dude! just for clarification, the turn signals use an 1156 bulb. You want an 1156 socket (single contact)

Renner
April 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM
np dude! just for clarification, the turn signals use an 1156 bulb. You want an 1156 socket (single contact)

Thanks....Saved me a bunch of hassle! New project for tomorrow! :thumbup:

Renner
April 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Well after finally seeing the bike at night (Friend was driving it in front of me) I realized I like the signals the way they are as the light bounces off the black paint right above it and it looks like 2 lights...VERY visible at night. Going to hold off an more projects until I make sure I am going to keep this bike for longer than one season. Was thinking of going to a 2013 next year :)

choneofakind
April 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Solid plan sir :)

I'll consider getting a new one at some point once Kawasaki makes certain changes to adjust for the higher power allotments in Europe

Jono
April 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ahhh just do it already! I had those same hopes and then I crashed. So I was like crap, guess I am stuck with this bike forever! lol

The turn signals in the pods are just as visible at night. Don't worry about it. And it makes the bike look much better. Do it, Do it, Do it!!!!

tanghonglai
April 14th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I like how you mounted the turn signals. I would rather do something so brake light can be put in the pods to make the existing brake light even bigger.

I was thinking about getting rid of the fender too. The bike looks sleeker without it, but I don't like the big empty space above the tire. I wonder if something can be done to cover up at least part of it.

kevlar250
April 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Looks nice Renner, and w/o spending big bucks on a kit. Clear lenses w/ amber LED's would look even better but idk if those are available. Do you still have the rear fender reflectors? I need both rears & would buy them from you.

choneofakind
April 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
The bike looks sleeker without it, but I don't like the big empty space above the tire. I wonder if something can be done to cover up at least part of it.

Sit on it. The rear sags enough that no one will notice that big space above the rear wheel.

CZroe
April 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Looks nice Renner, and w/o spending big bucks on a kit. Clear lenses w/ amber LED's would look even better but idk if those are available. Do you still have the rear fender reflectors? I need both rears & would buy them from you.

Not expensive. (http://motorcycle-parts.d2moto.com/search?p=R&srid=S3-USWSD01&lbc=d2moto&w=250r&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.d2moto.com%2fp-5705-1994-2007-kawasaki-ninja-ex250-250-clear-rear-turn-signal-lenses.aspx&rk=12&uid=732275715&sid=2&ts=custom&rsc=H9TIuErWx9NNruwz&method=and&stateid=s3A13C23A1m9EbZEb5&isort=score&view=grid) Just add amber LEDs or bulbs that fit the same BA15s socket.

choneofakind
April 15th, 2012, 07:52 AM
^^ that's what I did, only I got the amber lenses instead of the clear lenses because I wanted to keep it looking oem.

Renner
April 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I think they are still in the garage...I will check and pm you