View Full Version : Maxxis Tyres

Sailariel
November 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Maxxis makes tyres sized for the 2008-09 Ninja 250R. Does anyone have any experience with these tyres? I use Maxxis on my racing bicycles exclusively and love them. Also back in the days of my Norton, I had Avon tyres. They also make tyres for the 250R. Back then they were great. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with tyres other than Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Pirelli?

Alex
November 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Eh. The parent company is named Cheng Shin. They didn't have a great reputation for motorcycle tires, and were dirt-cheap replacements if you didn't have any other choice or OEM if you just bought an off-brand Chinese knockoff bike. Awhile back Cheng Shin launched a new brand name, Maxxis, to try and establish a different reputation. But so far, their tires haven't really caught on. Looking at their website, there are only 3 individual tires that will fit the 2008 ninjette.

You can get a Maxxis Supermaxx M6029 front in 110/70/17, but the matching rear doesn't come in ninjette sizes. You can get a Promaxx M6102 front in 110/70/17, and you can get the matching rear M6103 in 130/70/17. Looking at prices online, they aren't really that much cheaper than any of the established brands. I guess I don't see why I'd choose them, unless I was getting them for free (or close to free). :2cents:

I'd take a look at the BIKE magazine review (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9780) where the ninjette tire sizes were given quite a decent workout, and there are 3 or 4 different brands of tires that filtered to the top there. In fact they really liked the Avons.

seedanpaint
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I run Maxxis tires on all my mountain bikes. They make good bike tires, don't know about motorcycle tires, a little curious myself.