View Full Version : What a numpty

Chuffmonkey
April 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Oh the indignity of it all. I was headed for breakfast at IHOP with a friend (1st indignity) and we pulled into the parking lot at the same time. He was in his cage and I was on my bike. I pulled into the spot 2 spaces away from him and noticed that I would be pointing downhill so I decided to turn around. Needless to say that didn't turn out as planned - I went to the gym (2nd indignity) last night so my legs are kinda tired today, so once it started going over it all went rapidly wrong. He watched the whole thing (3rd indignity).

Damage is light. Scuff on the chrome part of the exhaust (or is it steel?), on the rear brake pedal, on the brake lever and my bar end. The worst part is (as seems to happen to most) is a large crack around the indicator - though it doesn't go all the way around.

In any case what I apparently did wrong was grab the brake - even though it was low speed (stopped actually) it caused the front end to dip and then bounce back up and, as I was turning at the time, it bounced the bike sideways.

As I said - what a numpty

CC Cowboy
April 10th, 2012, 08:05 AM
You need to learn the kickstand 180 turn.

Mocha Man
April 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Yet another reason why working out and getting fit is bad for you. You are an American, you aren't supposed to be strong and fit; you're supposed to be lazy and fat! :p

JK, I work out every day as well (more than anyone I know) and I know what you mean by how difficult it can be to keep the bike upright. Mine almost fell over on me when I was taking it out of my garage because my arms felt like jello.

Note to self: don't do 600 curls followed by numerous other arm workouts before attempting to ride!

Chuffmonkey
April 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
You are an American, you aren't supposed to be strong and fit; you're supposed to be lazy and fat! :p

I'm English, lazy and fat. Hence the need to go to the gym.

Motofool
April 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM
In any case what I apparently did wrong was grab the brake - even though it was low speed (stopped actually) it caused the front end to dip and then bounce back up and, as I was turning at the time, it bounced the bike sideways.

It is called extreme counter-steering. :)

You saved the bike from a bigger damage if jumping forward downhill by itself after you walked away.

THE BIG SITT
April 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
You need to learn the kickstand 180 turn.

Is that a serious statement? I thought those were terrible for the bike?

CC Cowboy
April 10th, 2012, 01:51 PM
serious

Alex
April 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=notsureifserious.jpg&res=landing

mustang5.0
April 10th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm English, lazy and fat. Hence the need to go to the gym.

was going to say.. that not a saying on this side of the pond and def not in SLC

mustang5.0
April 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
at worst the kickstand may not like the stress, on my other bike the kickstand comes loose now and again I could probably solve that by using loctite the next time I tighten it.

TydQlX8dSX8

If you do it on a slope though think a bit about the direction gravity is going to pull the bike, where you are and where the bike is. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out which direction to turn.

all of my homies do this.. i think i would drop the bike

Chuffmonkey
April 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
It seems like the potential for something to go wrong in that maneuver is quite high - for me at least.

Chuffmonkey
April 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM
was going to say.. that not a saying on this side of the pond and def not in SLC

Yeah, definitely not a well known word over here.