View Full Version : A little too tall

4950cycle
April 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hi fellow Ninjette riders. This is my first post here. I am trying to make my 06 250 Ninja a little more roomy, Me being 6'3 and all. #1 I am going with the Buell XB9R N0006 1AD slitely lower and rearset foot pegs, #2 a Mikesshields 17 inch Euro windscreen, #3 Those 1 1/2 inch handle bar risers to give my arms and wrists a break, #4 Put about an 1 or so inches of foam on the forward part of the seat to give me even a little more leg room. If any of you has had experience with any of these mods bar the foot peg mount ,I would appreciate any advise regarding them. Especially the windshield or the bar risers. PS I will need some dog bones to lower the whole bike later to get rid of some of the added hieght I gained doing all of this. Thanks guys and/or gals. John

Jiggles
April 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I'm 6'2 and fit pretty comfortably on my pregen. What seems to be out of place?

AmplexorJ
April 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah Im 6'4" on an "03 and I think the only issue I would address is the handlebars. But my right one is bent in about an inch so.... :rolleyes:

But yeah I fit fine on my lil bike although I'm sure I look funny :thumbup:

Jiggles
April 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Ah, you can actually just bend the bar back. I bought my pregen with bars that were so bent if you turned hard they would hit the gas tank. You just have to remove the handle bar, heat it up, apply torque and bend it back. Alternatively you can just buy a new one

4950cycle
April 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Ok guys, Whats a prejen ? thats not an old GPZ or GPX 250 is it ? Or is it pre 08 ?

Jiggles
April 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
pre 08

4950cycle
April 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I just want a little more room and the wind not to deafen me. I love little Ninja 250s otherwise. I'm almost 50 now. And want to give my wrists a break too.

Jiggles
April 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM
For wind you should look into either earplugs or an upgraded super quiet helmet

4950cycle
April 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yes, I wear earplugs now. I don't have to wear a helmet in this state ( FL.). But maybe I should ?

Jiggles
April 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I don't have to wear a helmet in this state ( FL.). But maybe I should ?

Are you serious?

choneofakind
April 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
But maybe I should ?

yes.

AlanDog
April 11th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I hate to tell you, I have the Mikeshields 17" Euro and I'm only 5'9" and because the front end is low on the ninja, the windshield does not reduce wind noise. If I crouch down on my seat it directs air over me, or if I lean forward so my helmet is a few inches from the shield, wind noise goes down. But sitting normally, not any quieter. A little less wind on the chest and so a little more relaxed. Think of it as freeway bird protection. If I had known, I would have custom ordered a taller windshield from that guy (who is super unreliable in my experience, but he did eventually ship it!)

I also want to try the Buell footpegs, I also have a cx500 and going from that bike to the ninja makes me realize how cramped my legs are on the ninja. The big drawback is I do alot of twisties and not a great rider but I have scraped pegs and so the lower footpeg will now further reduce my clearance... I guess depending on how easily they swap in and out, I could always go back and forth.

Mulholland
April 12th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yes, I wear earplugs now. I don't have to wear a helmet in this state ( FL.). But maybe I should ?

:bikersmiley::madtyping:

WTF would you not wear a helmet for...?

4950cycle
April 12th, 2012, 04:48 AM
You guys act like everybody leads with there head when they crash. lol I have had my share of MC accidents and never touched my head on anything. I also have a calapsed disc in my neck from the extra wieght of my helmet snapping my head to the side when I touched down with such force it blew that disc. BTW, I had it hauled down to only 40 or so when that happened.

4950cycle
April 12th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Ouch ! $280 US for adjustable Canadian dog bones. Well , it looks like lo pro tires for me instead to get rid of some rider hieght. BTW Thank you very much for info on that 17 inch Euro Mikesshields. He did say he would ship it out Friday though ? And yes, you could always swap your stock pegs right back on. BTW, like your windshield, Don't expect huge differences with the pegs. I really didn't even have to adjust my foot controls if I really didn't want to. But I did notice about $25 worth of extra leg room , not $43.

choneofakind
April 12th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Ouch ! $280 US for adjustable Canadian dog bones.

Soupy's performance. $102, and they ship to Canada I believe. I just bought a set that was shorter for raising the tail :thumbup:

4950cycle
April 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Noo ! I don't live in Canada. Alien performance is there (with $280 dogbones). I live in FL. . Thanks for the cennection Chone.

choneofakind
April 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
That makes more sense. I guess I should have read the info under your avatar :o

In that case, shipping to continental US is only $10 and they ship quickly. They got my parts shipped out the same business day I ordered them. Not to mention all my emails were promptly answered. The first one took about 3 days to get a reply, but after that, they were all answered within a matter of hours. I like them because of their customer support, and I've heard their stuff is very good quality; never heard of any complaints with their pre-gen dogbones.

alex.s
April 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
6' here. i raised the 250 about a total 1 inch at the seat height. good for comfortable standing. i also have bars lowered to give more arm room, and aftermarket rearsets moved back and up, but i think im going to make some rearset extenders to move them back another inch or two.

i made my own adjustable dogbones for about $30. but its a lot easier just to cut new dogbones from some quarter inch steel plate. i think Rexbo was saying he wants to provide everyone with free dogbones... right steve? :D

choneofakind
April 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
yeah. I tried making some from 1/4" steel, and messed up on them, so I just bought the ones that I knew would work...

4950cycle
April 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I got enough on my plate right now then to try to make them (dogbones). I sucked up some junk from the bottom of my float bowl last night. Man, these things are a beoch to get the carbs off of if the stock air box is still in use. You have to take what seems the whole bike apart just to wriggle the carbs out to work on them. I will pop the bowls off tomorrow. I think I will try lower profile tires first to get her a bit lower. I hear they handle bad with dogbones , No ? Not that I carve the hell out of twisties anymore.

choneofakind
April 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Try cutting the battery box off of the airbox (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=462353) while the carbs are out. It helps loads for next time you want to take your carbs out.

4950cycle
April 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I got her all put back together by tonight and she actually runs pretty darn good if I do say so myself. But thats not for farkles. I wish I would have saw your post while I had her apart Chone. As it was I undid the electrical thingy next to the rear master cylinder. That gave me another 1/2 inch of room. I needed every litttle bit of space I could get. I should have thought to saw that battery box off. :confused:

choneofakind
April 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah i never thought to do that the first few times that I shimmed my needles out. Then I saw exploring/carolina's thread about it, and it is so much easier, especially when you take off the electrical support bracket thing you moved.

Do it next time you have the carbs off, if ever. It takes an extra half hour or so, but it's so worth it in the end.

4950cycle
April 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I think I might go with Pirelli MTs or Avon AM 51-52 to get rid of some hieght after I put a little more foam in the front of my seat. Riding high just dosn't feel safe. The reason I know is I have a temporary cushion to test the idea right now. I like the extra leg room with the Buell foot pegs coupled with the little bit of extra seat height but I'm a little higher in the saddle now and not crazy about the higher center of gravity. I figure lower the bike one way or the other and gain that inch or two back (Down). :D

choneofakind
April 14th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Riding up high is fantastic. The bike turns in on a dime. I intentionally raised my bike. Love it.

Renner
April 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
6 foot 4 and 220 pounds...riding a 2006 Ninja 250 on Pirelli MT75 front and back...LOVE IT!!

choneofakind
April 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Are the MT75's the one's where the rear is a 120 and is a little shorter than the stock tire? I've heard those are really sticky. :thumbup:

Renner
April 23rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Are the MT75's the one's where the rear is a 120 and is a little shorter than the stock tire? I've heard those are really sticky. :thumbup:

Yep....I love them..got them for $135 shipped for front and rear combined also! Motorcycle Superstore....love it!