View Full Version : At the MSF of all places

Arinze
April 13th, 2012, 05:46 AM
was cruising around comfortably at the safety foundation course when I had to go into the S turn...went in too fast and I did the NO NO when taking turns...I hit the breaks to slow down and the next thing I know, I was on my back.
Lesson learnt:never ever brake when taking a turn. if u have to slow down, do it before u you turn the handle bar to go into the turn.

Alex
April 13th, 2012, 05:47 AM
On your bike, or one of theirs?

Arinze
April 13th, 2012, 05:54 AM
On your bike, or one of theirs?
On one of theirs...the right mirror and handle bar were instant victims...i just scoffed my boots

the big mike
April 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Upgrading skillz... like a boss :) :thumbup:

codestp202
April 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM
what happens if you wreck their bike?

Vampyre
April 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
At the one I went to, they checked if the bike was still ride able, and if not, gave you another one. Then class carried on.

codestp202
April 13th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Lol so you don't have to pay at all?

Vampyre
April 13th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Nope. Other than the fee for the class. Wrecks are free.

csmith12
April 13th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Let's have a moment of silence for the bike and the sacrifices made for the benefit of all....

Carry on

csmith12
April 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Ok, some MSF facilities use ninja 250s. Were you riding a 250 at the time or something else?

And since your in education mode there at the MSF. There is a technique for braking during and into curves. But this is not the time nor place, just letting you know there is much more to learn past the MSF.

Have fun at their expense! And good luck on your skills test.

Arinze
April 13th, 2012, 07:52 AM
what happens if you wreck their bike?

They just had me initial the the damages on paper..i guess for claims

Ok, some MSF facilities use ninja 250s. Were you riding a 250 at the time or something else?

Mine only had cruisers...i was riding the GZ250

And since your in education mode there at the MSF. There is a technique for braking during and into curves. But this is not the time nor place, just letting you know there is much more to learn past the MSF.

Have fun at their expense! And good luck on your skills test.

Well I went for a beginner class..i think i'll stay with their instruction and slow down before curves

csmith12
April 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Well I went for a beginner class..i think i'll stay with their instruction and slow down before curves

As you should, time and place.... time and place.

diablos991
April 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
In my MSF course there were 3 drops. One in the stop-and-go, one in the wide turn, and one in the box u-turn.

I wouldn't feel too bad.

Jinx250
April 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM
You should never break anything in an effort to slow down.

Gradual and consistent application of the brakes is a much better way to do that.

CZroe
April 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Wow. They usually take mirrors off of MSF BRC bikes.

Arinze
April 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Wow. They usually take mirrors off of MSF BRC bikes.

guess they forgot to do it for my entire class :cool:

DevinWolfe
April 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I took mine at an H-D dealer and they had us on Buell Blast 500s. We had our mirrors as well, completely street legal/ready bikes. Some had busted signal housings, but all were functional.

Don't feel bad for dropping, the guy I shared my bike with (10 in class, 5 bikes, 5 people running at a time) dropped it 3 times on the right side. By day 2 I had cruise control, no exaggeration. Twist the throttle and it stayed where you put it. They finally put him on a Rebel 250 and he never dropped that one.

mustang5.0
April 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
our class was on 150s.. one girl went for the brake and hit the throttle.. she put herself and the bike into the fence.. she was fine and the bike was wrecked..
she was coached out of the class and is allowed to retake it..
this girl was the 1st one to say at the start of class "im getting 600r after this class"

CZroe
April 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Oh, and a lot of people drop bikes at the MSF BRC course. I saw several during my class. Just sayin' because the title sounds like it's a particularly bad place to drop when it's not. :D

CalvinAmI
April 16th, 2012, 08:20 AM
We only had one drop on my MSF course.
It was the guy I shared the MSF's Kawasaki Eliminator 125 with.
He was one of the best in the class, but dropped the bike on the final test during the quick-stop of all places. He was so caught up with hitting the brakes JUST after the green cones and getting a short stopping distance, that he didn't concentrate in his braking. He locked the rear then let off while simultaneously locking the front. He drove it into the ground but tried his best to hold it up for like 5 seconds. He finally had to set it down (small guy) and failed the course :(

And as fate would have it, the guy who STILL couldn't find the friction point and would ALWAYS redline when squeezing the front brake, passed with 2 points to spare. Poor guy had no idea how to shift and they still passed him. I'll make sure if i ever see him again to avoid him like the plague.

Arinze
April 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I took mine at an H-D dealer and they had us on Buell Blast 500s. We had our mirrors as well, completely street legal/ready bikes. Some had busted signal housings, but all were functional.

the bikes we had we actually pretty decent...i gave mine the first scratch...they even had arai, shoei and suomy helmets for those the came without helmets

Don't feel bad for dropping, the guy I shared my bike with (10 in class, 5 bikes, 5 people running at a time) dropped it 3 times on the right side. By day 2 I had cruise control, no exaggeration. Twist the throttle and it stayed where you put it. They finally put him on a Rebel 250 and he never dropped that one.

lol..cracked me up dude...cruise control

our class was on 150s.. one girl went for the brake and hit the throttle.. she put herself and the bike into the fence.. she was fine and the bike was wrecked..
she was coached out of the class and is allowed to retake it..
this girl was the 1st one to say at the start of class "im getting 600r after this class"

the instructors pointed out where some girl almost climbed the tree with her bike

Oh, and a lot of people drop bikes at the MSF BRC course. I saw several during my class. Just sayin' because the title sounds like it's a particularly bad place to drop when it's not. :D

i felt bad cos there was 12 of us...9 guys and 3 girls....3 dropped their bike..i and 2 girls....u get the drift?

He was one of the best in the class, but dropped the bike on the final test during the quick-stop of all places. He was so caught up with hitting the brakes JUST after the green cones and getting a short stopping distance, that he didn't concentrate in his braking. He locked the rear then let off while simultaneously locking the front. He drove it into the ground but tried his best to hold it up for like 5 seconds. He finally had to set it down (small guy) and failed the course :(

And as fate would have it, the guy who STILL couldn't find the friction point and would ALWAYS redline when squeezing the front brake, passed with 2 points to spare. Poor guy had no idea how to shift and they still passed him. I'll make sure if i ever see him again to avoid him like the plague.

I can relate to that. i paased the class with 1 point to spare cos i focused on not droppping my bike. Nothing else mattered...and hey, i never redlined, i know where my brake is and i've been riding without incident for close to one month

ajcadoo
April 17th, 2012, 11:26 PM
A friend of mine took the MSF with me. Dropped the bike 3 times in one excercise. He was dropped from the class. He was able to go back in 90 days to retake it but never did. I passed with flying colors.

ajcadoo
April 17th, 2012, 11:27 PM

hahahahha awesome story

UjaasG35
May 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
lmaoo better at the msf than the real road!

Ritter
May 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM
MSF courses are made to crash at and at least you didn't crash going zero miles an hour like half the people did at my MSF course a few years ago.

DemonRider
May 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
A friend of mine took the MSF with me. Dropped the bike 3 times in one excercise. He was dropped from the class. He was able to go back in 90 days to retake it but never did. I passed with flying colors.

I won't say who, but I knew someone who dropped the bike 8x, she was allowed to continue the class and Aced the test without dropping it.. She had a hard time going wide to rejoin the back of the line after each exercise...... The only other thing I could piece together was that at 4'-11" 23" inseam it was very hard to find a bike that would allow her to flat foot both feet. (not to bad for someone w/ experience, but never on a bike before she said it was a little intimidating)