View Full Version : Note to self: "you are an idiot"

BlackNinja8
April 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Backing into my usual parking spot at home which is on a decline (so I'm rolling backwards freely)...I have had a couple of near drops because I am so used to using only the front brake which is a no no in this situation. Think I would've learned my lesson? Well today I did! Rolling faster than I intended, I sqeezed the front and starting losing it. The epic battle between my arms vs the weight of the bike (assisted by gravity) was going my way until I pulled my hammy forcing it back up. I was >45 degrees when I thought best to let it go before fully tearing my hammy. I was able to let it down gently so there was minor damage - slight scuff to side mirror casing and minor scratch on metalic finish on stock can. After crawling out from under the bike I took notice of how it was laying on the ground. I wanted to take pictures but there was some gas leak so I had to lift it quickly. The only contact points were the rear metalic part of the stock can, frame slider, and bar end. After the bar end hit the ground the steering column turned so that the front quarter was touching, but it didn't take any impact. The signal had bent inward as it was designed to, but didn't break.

Ironically I had just removed my yoshi slip on and put the stock can on to test out how it sounded. I only kept that can in case my yoshi feel victim to a noob drop. After a great ride and loving the quieter sound I had decided to leave it on and scratched it only hours later...oh well.

I'm going to be out of comission until my hammy heals up. Lesson learned.

Malicious Logic
April 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Sucks to hear. Didn't know it was necessarily a 'no-no' to use the front brake when backing up as long as the front tire is in line with the rear but guess I do now. Hope you heal up soon. Guessing you back in down the decline so you don't have to back it out going up it?

EthioKnight
April 15th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I park on a downgrade at school and use my front brake all the time, it's the only way to control and stop the bike while you have both feet down and maneuvering the bike...sorry to read bruh, but yours was more of a fluke than anything else.

BlackNinja8
April 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Not a no no to use the front, but while rolling downhill backwards with the wheel turned its a bad move. If the wheels are in line I'm fine, if not...

Yeah I back into that spot so that I don't have to push out uphill to star my ride.

Jiggles
April 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Can I laugh at you? I'm gna laugh at you.

:lol:

BlackNinja8
April 15th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Can I laugh at you? I'm gna laugh at you.

:lol:

Certainly a fall worthy of ridicule. Only saving grace was I had just put the quiet stock can back on else the noise from the Yoshi would have had the neighbors looking out their windows and seeing me lie in a pool of shame.

After I limped into the house and told my wife the story (of course in that version, I swerved to avoid a youngster running out in the road while I was cleaning an oil stained bird from the gulf coast with one hand) she whispered "for better or worse" and walked out of the room.

Motofool
April 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Sorry to read that, NJ.

Moving backwards tends to end up in falls (as the bike moves, the legs have less leverage); downhill is a sure thing.

I would use first gear (engine off) and clutch instead of the front break in the future.

At that attitude, the front tire has too little weight on it as to produce enough friction against the pavement or concrete.
It easily locks up and starts sliding downhill, leaving you without control and fighting it with your legs.

The rear tire has plenty of weight and friction, and the clutch nicely modulates the braking effect.

EthioKnight
April 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM
^ hmm...that sounds like a good idea...gonna try it out 2morrow.