View Full Version : Wear your Ear-Plugs!

ScorpionNinja
April 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

Motorcycle Facts

Most motorcyclists understand the effects of a "silent killer" which follows them every time they enjoy riding their bikes. Unfortunately, several people still believe the causes of hearing loss are due to how loud the bike sounds, and/or that it affects only the people who do not wear full shell helmets. This is true to a certain degree.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

Similar to the shooting and aviation industries, if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time. Constant duration of harmful level noises gradually force the rider into becoming another statistic of the "silent killer."

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Another common ailment of motorcycle riding is a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals. TTS is caused by excessive noise exposure for a duration of time, which drops your actual acute hearing pattern to a lower level temporarily. Meaning, your hearing is less than what it was before the initial exposure. Continuous TTS exposure will result in permanent damage.

Everyone has experienced this phenomenon at one time or another, whether it is from going to loud dance halls, or concerts, or even work. Even some of today's movie theatres can cause this to happen, but this is a specific certainty for motorcyclists who disregard adequate hearing protection while riding their bike.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

Although there are several versions of hearing protection devices on the market, a custom set of earmolds is still the best answer in suppressing sound. They provide excellent attenuation values and are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They can even be molded with high-grade transducers, which allow for stereo compatibility or communications. To find out more about these products search under our "Product Links" listed on the navigation bar.

We also suggest checking with your local state officials on the regulations of wearing hearing protection. Several states have motorcycle laws regarding earplug use. For a quick reference, see the AMA web pages on State Motorcycle Laws - http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/road.asp.

There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).
Neither the riding position nor the brand or style of motorcycle make significant difference in noise level.
Padding inside the helmet, open or closed vents, or added weather stripping on the helmet to alter flow patterns, does not significantly alter the noise level in a helmet.
Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)
When not wearing a helmet, the wind noise at highway speed is nearly 10 times greater than when wearing a full coverage helmet.
Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.
Some helmets resonate at approximately 500Hz, and actually enhance wind noise.
Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

I Always wear mine. I value my Hearing!!! :cool:

Reswob
April 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
What's that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you.

Alex
April 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM
:thumbup:

Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride? (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10209)

Ramen
April 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
What?

ARc
April 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Yea, thankfully I learned about ear plugs before getting on the freeway. Hearing loss ain't no joke, for real.

RaZeDaHeLL
April 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Very interesting write up, but wouldn't wearing earplugs increase your chances of having an accident? I prefer hearing what is going on around me over protecting my hearing in the long run.

Don't forget, I mostly ride in Brooklyn NY. Its very noisy here, we have buses, trains and a LOT of traffic. I do use the highway to get to work but its not that far. You can get from one side of Brooklyn to another in 30-45 minutes. No need for earplugs in my opinion.

Sometimes I ride with my sister out in Jersey. That's when I feel earplugs would benefit me.

Alex
April 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I prefer hearing what is going on around me, over protecting my hearing in the long run.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Earplugs don't mute the world, they just lower the volume. You can still hear your engine, you can still hear nearby traffic, you can certainly still hear any sirens, horns, or any other sonic indicator that might provide input on riding choices. Give 'em a try. They not only are safer for your hearing, they make riding that much more pleasant. :thumbup:

choneofakind
April 16th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I wear earplugs every time that I ride.

While we're on the topic, check out Floyd's blog about this. I actually just read through it while looking for info for a research paper.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=186

greg737
April 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Certain people have "special" ears that are immune to noise damage. They'll let you know who they are.

ai4px
April 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I wear ear plugs every time I ride... well not for short trips across from wally world to lowes for example. When I started riding a few years ago, I noticed a ringing in my ears and how loud the wind was on my 30 minute ride to work.

Whiskey
April 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Just ordered a set after 1100 miles in a few days left me with major ringing in my ears, even worse than after a week of firing 120s

-kj-
April 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Are headphones okay instead of ear plugs? I mean the headphones that fit well inside the ear.

ai4px
April 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Are headphones okay instead of ear plugs? I mean the headphones that fit well inside the ear.

I would say not.... I had a set of 24db ear plugs that were headphones that I wear when mowing the grass. Can't find where I left them last season... but they are great... were about $50 from northern tool.

You can also find silicone plugs at walmart in the shooting section.

-kj-
April 17th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I would say not.... I had a set of 24db ear plugs that were headphones that I wear when mowing the grass. Can't find where I left them last season... but they are great... were about $50 from northern tool.

You can also find silicone plugs at walmart in the shooting section.

Yea, I figured it wouldn't help as much. I just bought some 33db ones the other day from target.

ScorpionNinja
April 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
LOL @ these people that think/use "Earbuds" while listening to Music, will REDUCE wind noise as "well/good as ear-plugs". :der:

I just figured Id post that info up, for those of you riders that are serious about protecting your hearing. The rest of you can joke and **** all you want, but when you turn 30, 40, 50 you'll see. Better yet, if your 18 right now, go take a Hearing test this weekend. Then continue on your life, then once your 30 take another hearing test...

anyhow, ear-plugs dont block out sound 100%. By the way, a little tip: You should be moving your head around all the time, looking, paying attention to your surroundings, scanning traffic, MIRRORS, everything. If you rely on "hearing a car running a redlight", if this is your concern, stop riding now before you turn into another dead fool! :D

ScorpionNinja
April 17th, 2012, 02:42 PM

NO

ScorpionNinja
April 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I wear ear plugs every time I ride... well not for short trips across from wally world to lowes for example. When I started riding a few years ago, I noticed a ringing in my ears and how loud the wind was on my 30 minute ride to work.

ding ding, we have a winner! :D

dale-j
April 17th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I normally ride wearing a set of the Howard Leight LaserLites, I buy them by the box and keep them stashed everywhere as they are low pressure and comfortable (unlike the round EAR foamies that hurt in a helmet or after an hour or two). IIRC they are an average across the frequencies of 33 db and after you get used to the lower volume, you hear just fine... it just takes everything down a notch except you think you're talking louder than you really are. Good for mowing the lawn, working with air tools and compressor, hell I even take a couple pairs to most concerts and the sound is quite clear through the spectrum so I don't worry about it on the bike, I hear fine.

Anyway, first ride of the year on Saturday on the Guzzi, and I forgot to take ear plugs, thought I'd be OK with the new quiet Shark helmet I have so I didn't stop to buy a pair. It's quiet in comparison to my HJC, but the wind noise hurt. I knew I was going to be in trouble, and three days later after a three hour ride my ears are still ringing in the quiet times.... when you hear ringing, that's dead receptors (probably dying is more accurate) - permanent damage in the spectrum the ringing is in.

I'm 41 this year, and I have noticed that I don't really enjoy music the way I used to, and a lot of the detail and imaging is not as clear, especially the high end and subtle stuff. I have used ear plugs for years, but the little damage here and there is cumulative and I'm already seeing the effects of my love of power tools and years in industrial work when I was younger. My father-in-law is a young 69 years old, fit and active, but deaf as f$ck from years of running a boat, not loud... just constant low grade noise.

Good advice, OP.

BTW, don't discount the damage that headphones can do. I don't know how many 'kids these days' (LOL) I hear doing permanent damage just to sound cool blasting the 'phones on their ipods.

massacremasses
April 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Errry day all day!

choneofakind
April 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Better yet, if your 18 right now, go take a Hearing test this weekend. Then continue on your life, then once your 30 take another hearing test...

DONE!! :)

I had to get a hearing test last year as part of a physical, and I did very well. I did very well, even the Dr was surprised because I did better than most.

I wear earplugs because I want to keep it that way. That goes for when I mow the lawn and clear the driveway in the winter.

I don't want my hearing to go south like my dad's, or to get so bad that I need hearing aids in both ears like my grandpa.

Not to mention, I don't get headaches when I ride with earplugs :thumbup:

dale-j
April 17th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Not to mention, I don't get headaches when I ride with earplugs :thumbup:

If you do get headaches with earplugs, try different styles. My personal faves in a helmet where the ears get squished a bit are the really soft 'low pressure' ones like the LaserLites but everyone is different. I have friends that (probably like you) can stick any old ear plug in and get no headaches, for the rest of us a little experimenting can pay off.

I had a $200 set of custom molded plugs made with noise gates that were supposed to let you hear conversation even in a loud environment, but they hurt so bad in the helmet I never use them. Waste of money IMO when the $0.69 ear plugs are as good now as they are.

Ramen
April 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Somebody want to fix that speaker? There's feedback coming out of it.

What? That speaker over there...

Oh, right. :(

choneofakind
April 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
If you do get headaches with earplugs, try different styles.

no I mean I get headaches without them. With them, no headaches.

I have a pair of $5 re-useable orange earplugs that are great