View Full Version : A knack to flying

Numbersix
April 20th, 2012, 06:30 PM
4/3/12:

Heading home from work on the "scoot" (see sig; 108cc qualifies the same as a literbike in MI). I elected to take a side road rather than wait and wait for backed up traffic at a major intersection.

This side road is not the greatest neighborhood, but what the hey. I see a car, hazard flashers on, on the right side of the road. I move to the left side of the road and go to pass.

Just as I'm committed to the pass, the driver punches it in a left turn into the *opposite* driveway. I almost squeaked by; she hit me in the rear wheel and exhaust. Bike pitches right before slamming down on its left side; that kicks me over the top.

Fortunately I spend a fair bit of time falling for fun and apparently did the "ukemi" thing right, cause I have nicely distributed strikes on the right hand, right shoulder, both legs and feet. I get up.

The driver gets out and starts yelling at me (no "are you hurt" in this neighborhood). When I call for police for an accident report, she makes a call of her own and a second vehicle pulls up, retrieves a package from her car, and takes off. (ahem).

She then starts stirring up all the people who emerged from their houses how I'm a liar, came out of nowhere, etc etc. They are *not* friendly and join in trying to provoke me into a statement. Not one person asks if I'm ok. Police took 30 minutes to show up; bit of a long wait as with that nice crowd I wasn't going to lie down or move more than a few feet from the remains of the scoot.

Anyway long story short, the cop decided not to make a call of fault, nobody got a ticket, the paramedics hastily wrapped gauze and no bandage (100% useless) around my right knee abrasion and took off. The scoot rolled so I rolled it out after asking the police not to depart until I'd cleared the area.

The Honda is totalled. Good job Progressive for total loss coverage; my wife did have to convince the adjuster that I wasn't in hospital considering the condition of the scoot; the melted pants finally convinced him :D. Bad job police and paramedics. Very glad to have the Ninjette still!

Lessons learned (gotta take something from it even if it's the other person's fault):
- ATGATT. I had dress pants on from work. Did you know they *melt* when slid down a street at speed?
- It's better to wait than intentionally drive into an area where wacked out people and drug runners lurk.
- Even if the other vehicle's signalling, don't trust them.

codestp202
April 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Wow... good thing you're okay. I would have freaked out. I don't understand how someone can just blatantly try to put the blame on you. Sounds like she was waiting to drop off drugs obviously. That sucks dude. Pisses me off just to read it, I've heard so many stories where its blatantly the drivers fault and they immediately try to put the blame on the person on the bike.

FrugalNinja250
April 20th, 2012, 06:58 PM
That's why I run a camera every inch I roll. Seriously...

TBC
April 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Ouch. Very sorry to hear :(.

Nice Hitchiker's reference though. I love that little quote.

Mocha Man
April 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
That sucks, man. Glad to hear you're okay. I can't stand people that treat others the way that lady treated you.

EthioKnight
April 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM
wow, that was quite the story. Glad you extricated yourself safely from that situation. I sometimes do the same as you and go through less 'pleasant' areas, I shall be on the lookout more from now on. As to ATGATT, you can't believe how much flak I get for being fully geared even on my 50cc Honda Spree, but it pays off.

choneofakind
April 20th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Glad you're ok!

When I call for police for an accident report, she makes a call of her own and a second vehicle pulls up, retrieves a package from her car, and takes off. (ahem).

I would have made a note of this in the police report. Changing the scene of an accident is fishy, and likely illegal if she only got rid of something because the police were involved.

The other possibility if she is getting rid of "packages" is that she very well might have been doing some QC on her product while she was driving, if you know what I mean. That very well might be reason for blame to be put on her instead of you, which means more of her insurance $ for you.

Incidents like this are why I ride with a camera. You could have likely gotten the accident on camera, if not the accident, you could have used it to document the site after the accident, including second vehicle, any other suspicious activities, along with information/damage/etc. When you're in an accident, it's all about looking out for numero uno and covering all the bases.

Jiggles
April 21st, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hey, at least you didn't break a femur :thumbup:

This is sort of similar what happened to me, girl just pulled out and never looked. I had a lot of people rushing to my aide though as it was down the street from my house. If I were you I would have told the police you were injured and needed immediate medical assistance. They would have showed up faster and it's true you could have had injuries that you didn't feel like neck and back.

Anyway, good luck on the settlement :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
April 21st, 2012, 07:08 AM
4/3/12:

Heading home from work on the "scoot" (see sig; 108cc qualifies the same as a literbike in MI). I elected to take a side road rather than wait and wait for backed up traffic at a major intersection.

This side road is not the greatest neighborhood, but what the hey. I see a car, hazard flashers on, on the right side of the road. I move to the left side of the road and go to pass.

Just as I'm committed to the pass, the driver punches it in a left turn into the *opposite* driveway. I almost squeaked by; she hit me in the rear wheel and exhaust. Bike pitches right before slamming down on its left side; that kicks me over the top.

Fortunately I spend a fair bit of time falling for fun and apparently did the "ukemi" thing right, cause I have nicely distributed strikes on the right hand, right shoulder, both legs and feet. I get up.

The driver gets out and starts yelling at me (no "are you hurt" in this neighborhood). When I call for police for an accident report, she makes a call of her own and a second vehicle pulls up, retrieves a package from her car, and takes off. (ahem).

She then starts stirring up all the people who emerged from their houses how I'm a liar, came out of nowhere, etc etc. They are *not* friendly and join in trying to provoke me into a statement. Not one person asks if I'm ok. Police took 30 minutes to show up; bit of a long wait as with that nice crowd I wasn't going to lie down or move more than a few feet from the remains of the scoot.

Anyway long story short, the cop decided not to make a call of fault, nobody got a ticket, the paramedics hastily wrapped gauze and no bandage (100% useless) around my right knee abrasion and took off. The scoot rolled so I rolled it out after asking the police not to depart until I'd cleared the area.

The Honda is totalled. Good job Progressive for total loss coverage; my wife did have to convince the adjuster that I wasn't in hospital considering the condition of the scoot; the melted pants finally convinced him :D. Bad job police and paramedics. Very glad to have the Ninjette still!

Lessons learned (gotta take something from it even if it's the other person's fault):
- ATGATT. I had dress pants on from work. Did you know they *melt* when slid down a street at speed?
- It's better to wait than intentionally drive into an area where wacked out people and drug runners lurk.
- Even if the other vehicle's signalling, don't trust them.

Very racist post. I detect profiling. It is my obligation to forward this post to Comrade Holder and his boss, Barry. I will also send a copy to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for further analysis.

I feel you went into this neighborhood looking for trouble. Shame on you.

xSean13
April 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Very racist post. I detect profiling. It is my obligation to forward this post to Comrade Holder and his boss, Barry. I will also send a copy to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for further analysis.

:clapping:

Without knowing any details about any of the parties involved, etc...I must say that if I were to have a son, he would look like Numbersix.

:lie:

CC Cowboy
April 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
...and your daughter would look like Numbernine.

austexjg
April 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
She was in need of a Donkey Punch.

TnNinjaGirl
April 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM

I LOL'd

Numbersix
April 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks all. Quick followup:

I *can't* go about donkey (or any other animal) punching people; because of the aforementioned training stuff, I'm more liable in a legal situation. OTOH, I also wasn't particularly panicked about the neighborhood people; when people start all the trashtalking, they've already decided not to do anything.

I'm actually glad I did not have evidence or obviously notice what the van people were doing; that might constitute a problem for them, which they'd then have to resolve.

Nice ones, CC and xSean. For the record, it was a multicultural crowd, though :)

DevinWolfe
April 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM

OH SH** I bought it for a minute, 9/10 on the troll.

P.S. sorry about the bike, but glad you made it out ok. Knoxville has an area with "state streets" known as "mechanicsville" for some reason, its a sh**hole like you described.

greg737
April 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
From this thread and several others that have been posted here in the crash sub-forum lately it seems that after a woman runs you down with her car she never fails to yell at you about how it's your fault.

(nobody ever died from falling... it's the deceleration trauma after the fall that gets you.)

DevinWolfe
April 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
a woman never fails to yell at you.

FTFY :thumbup:

Jiggles
April 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
bitches killin ninjetters....

Dragonracer76
April 23rd, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sounds like carrying a gat in this neighborhood might be wise too. haha i feel ya on the pants issue. i swapped my riding pants for dockers the day of my wreck and have alot more pain and rash and infection because of a dumb mistake. hope you get it replaced soon. and progressive is the bomb. they totalled mine with no issues. even came to my house to handle everything the next day.

Dragonracer76
April 23rd, 2012, 12:17 AM
From this thread and several others that have been posted here in the crash sub-forum lately it seems that after a woman runs you down with her car she never fails to yell at you about how it's your fault.

Do Doe's count? haha

akima
May 18th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Scary situation. Thankfully you didn't get too badly injured. Imagine being surrounded by people like that when you're immobilised.

As to ATGATT, you can't believe how much flak I get for being fully geared even on my 50cc Honda Spree, but it pays off.

Next time someone gives you sh*t about your gear just confidently proclaim:
"Akima thinks I look like a dude"
pause for a second allowing them to start on some ignorant bs reply, then strut away like a boss (see alex.s crash vid) in your leathers cutting them off mid sentence. :D

Personally, putting on my gear is part of the fun of riding! There's something nice about pulling on protective/armoured clothing.

rmorse
May 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Personally, putting on my gear is part of the fun of riding! There's something nice about pulling on protective/armoured clothing.

This applies to more than just motorcycle riding....