View Full Version : Double Left Turn = Be Careful

Enferno8
April 21st, 2012, 10:12 PM
So riding home from school the other day, one of the turns I make is from a 4 lane, Jefferson, onto a 4 lane, Lafayette. The left 2 lanes are both left turn lanes. The first left turn lane can turn into the closest 2 lanes on Lafayette and the second left turn lane can turn into the far 2 lanes on Lafayette. I'm in the right left turn lane on Jefferson and some idiot woman is in a minivan in the left left turn lane also on Jefferson. IN the turn, right smack in the middle of it, instead of going into either of the 2 close lanes she has available to turn into, she merges into my lanes. I was almost even with her, about where my front tire was at her right side mirror. I saw her start to move into my lane and tried to swerve away but before I slowed down enough for my front tire to clear her back end, she cut so far across that her back end hit my front tire. This started a lowside, put my bike up a curb and into a pole, and my left shoulder broken on the curb and my left side hip bone badly bruised. She did stop.... and proceeded to yell at me saying that there is only one left turn lane and I was crazy (There's signs on the pavement and on the stop lights showing the 2 laned left turn...). I ended up calling 911 from the pavement as she was raging, lucky enough to be carrying my cell in my right front pocket. Another biker quickly stopped and helped to get me off the road; those bikers sure are helpful :thumbup: So for a first time crash with another vehicle, IT SUCKED, and I'm not looking forward to the hassle of suing her :mad: Upside: no roadrash thanks to my gear :)...

sombo
April 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
I keep seeing more and more of these types of stories of cagers in the wrong blaming it on the biker. I wish we could make it a requirement for license that you also get motorcycle training. Another thing that NEEDS to be done is a retest every few years. A number of studies done in 2011 showed that WAY too many 'seasoned' drivers in the US would fail the exam if they took it now. Most studies (GMAC being the primary one used) gave an average of 18% of motorists would fail the test nationwide. One study surveyed 500 people and had a whopping 75% of the people get 4+ wrong which would earn a failure in the hypothetical test.

Your story also reminds me of a bump that happened in my car up in PA. Left turning lane, left turn/straight lane. I was in the left turn/straight lane with my left turn signal on. An elderly lady (at least 70+ in age, probably 80+) was in the left turn ONLY lane. The light goes green, I start to turn left when I notice that she's not turning and bumps into my driver side door. And just like with you, she somehow figured I was in the wrong. :confused:

Well I hope you heal up quickly and get a new bike with the settlement money. Do not let her get away with out paying for the damages she caused, because they will be quite high (medical costs are ridiculous these days).

Malicious Logic
April 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Wow, that really sucks man. I've had the same **** almost happen in my car when there's 2 turning lanes. Instead of staying in their outside turning lane, they always feel the need to either come over or they're on the inside turning lane and feel the need to make the turn extra wide, almost forcing other cars into the curb. Amazes me how so many people seem to get out of their vehicle and instantly start yelling at the rider. Most are probably more upset about their vehicle and that they had an accident than the fact that they almost killed someone. Hope you heal up quick and are able to get something out of her.

Enferno8
April 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
My poor little ninja was completely totaled :( As of now she is refusing to pay anything so I've gone ahead and got a laywer. She's been served and will pay. Lucky for me, the other rider who stopped to help me, a HD rider, actually saw the accident while sitting at a red light 40 feet away and has agreed to come in and testify if the judge doesn't award me the case right away. Med bills were through the roof but insurance is gonna cover all but 400$. Shoulder's well on the way to healing(although I'm stuck in a giant cast right now :()and I should be back on a new bike in about 4-6 weeks :)

greg737
April 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Didn't you ever read the book that explains it all: "Men are from Mars and American women are always right"

Hope you have witnesses because she'll lie like a rug.

(I once had to return to the scene where I'd been t-boned the day before to hold up a sign I'd make asking anyone who saw the accident to please pull over and talk to me about it. I got two witnesses out of it, they were off-duty cops so her insurance company suddenly became cooperative)

Jiggles
April 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
I was just going to say hire a lawyer haha. They will get you a lot more money. I hope you got one that you only pay if you win, generally in cases like this that's what they will do.

Oh and

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/seanvoight/fml.jpg

alex.s
April 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
you just perfectly described my first time getting hit by a car. except the bitch who hit me didn't stop. and also i didnt break.

good luck man. bitches be crazy

FrugalNinja250
April 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
I go through a double left turn every morning. The double left goes from a freeway service road to a bridge over the freeway. The bridge is eight lanes wide and the two left turns lead into the outside straight through lanes. There are two left turn lanes in each direction on the bridge itself. Frequently people in the outside left turn lane will cross over not only the inside left turn, but continue across the outside left turn lane on the bridge into the inside left turn. A triple lane change and to hell with anyone unlucky enough to dare being in the way.

That's why I have a 130dB air horn and helmet camera. It is so routine that I don't even have to try hard to avoid getting hit, it's just another part of the traffic pattern. Have shown the video to local gendarmes who apparently couldn't give two f**ks about the blatant and routine violations.

I really need to get the one ton dually running again, I would have no problem running over a little car pulling that stunt, cameras rolling of course. :)

leed
April 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
So riding home from school the other day, one of the turns I make is from a 4 lane, Jefferson, onto a 4 lane, Lafayette. The left 2 lanes are both left turn lanes. The first left turn lane can turn into the closest 2 lanes on Lafayette and the second left turn lane can turn into the far 2 lanes on Lafayette. I'm in the right left turn lane on Jefferson and some idiot woman is in a minivan in the left left turn lane also on Jefferson. IN the turn, right smack in the middle of it, instead of going into either of the 2 close lanes she has available to turn into, she merges into my lanes. I was almost even with her, about where my front tire was at her right side mirror. I saw her start to move into my lane and tried to swerve away but before I slowed down enough for my front tire to clear her back end, she cut so far across that her back end hit my front tire. This started a lowside, put my bike up a curb and into a pole, and my left shoulder broken on the curb and my left side hip bone badly bruised. She did stop.... and proceeded to yell at me saying that there is only one left turn lane and I was crazy (There's signs on the pavement and on the stop lights showing the 2 laned left turn...). I ended up calling 911 from the pavement as she was raging, lucky enough to be carrying my cell in my right front pocket. Another biker quickly stopped and helped to get me off the road; those bikers sure are helpful :thumbup: So for a first time crash with another vehicle, IT SUCKED, and I'm not looking forward to the hassle of suing her :mad: Upside: no roadrash thanks to my gear :)...

Ugh, no bueno, Dexter. This has almost happened to me twice. Once was a double left, luckily there was a third lane (turning lane) that we were turning onto. Other time I ran off the road instead. I was merging onto a main thoroughfare (2 lanes, grass median, thankfully). I got out of the merge lane, head checked, moved into the left lane and started picking up speed. The lady who was in front of me decided to wait to leave the merge lane, and crossed over all lanes of traffic into my lane without signaling, and obviously not looking at her mirrors or her blindspot. I ran off the road, surprised I didn't go down because there was probably dew on the grass. I figured I'd rather slide in grass than get hit by a car (she probably wouldn't have stopped or noticed, and there wasn't anyone behind us -- so insurance wouldn't help). Shortly thereafter, I got back on the road and into a left turn lane and another car proceeded to cut in front of me while on the brakes without a signal.. That was not a good day. Needless to say I rode my bicycle the next morning.

NDspd
April 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Jesus man, glad you are on your way to recovering, damn *****, she better pay. I've had a few times of people pulling wide or coming into my lane. I wish I had a train horn sometimes though.

akima
April 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hope your shoulder heals up. Shame about your ninjette :(

(I once had to return to the scene where I'd been t-boned the day before to hold up a sign I'd make asking anyone who saw the accident to please pull over and talk to me about it. I got two witnesses out of it, they were off-duty cops so her insurance company suddenly became cooperative)

Wow! Pretty amazing you got results from that.

lucky enough to be carrying my cell in my right front pocket.

I always have a mobile phone in my jacket pocket for exactly that kind of situation.

Jiggles
April 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
On turns like this I usually fly out in front of the cars and get away from them as quick as possible. I'm usually a good way down the street and already at the speed limit before I see the cars complete the turn in my rear view.

choneofakind
April 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I really need to get the one ton dually running again, I would have no problem running over a little car pulling that stunt, cameras rolling of course. :)

Is that why the dually needs to get fixed up in the first place? :laugh:

Enferno8
April 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Finally got a court date. She's gonna pay for sure. The HD rider is more than happy to come in for 5 min to give us a solid case. Sorry to say I don't think I'm gonna get another 250. Gonna try to move up to a 650 or something later this season when I get mobility of my left arm back. It's healing up good after this first week or so and the estimate is down to about 4 weeks :/

Jiggles
April 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
If you get a 650, try to go new, the 2012s have some awesome improvements over earlier generations

Enferno8
April 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
It'll be a while before I'm looking to buy but I'll keep that in mind, if I can afford it.....

Miles_Prower
April 30th, 2012, 07:44 AM
ouchhh sorry to hear about your collision :(
hope you heal up fast!!! and sue that dirty lady good!

Linuss
May 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
It'll be a while before I'm looking to buy but I'll keep that in mind, if I can afford it.....

Oh, if your lawyer does his job, you'll be able to afford it.

What does the police report say? What did she tell the police happened? What did her car insurance provider say/do?

sombo
May 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
If you get a 650, try to go new, the 2012s have some awesome improvements over earlier generations

:whathesaid:

Demoed the 2011 650 and couldn't stand the seat for even that little 30min ride. Demoed the 2012 650 and wished I could just kinda get lost from the route and somehow find my way home with it. :whistle: