View Full Version : Area P????

noche_caliente
December 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
So, rumor has it that Santa might just bring me a new exhaust for Christmas :D

I know that I want the area P, and that I want the quiet core, but I have trouble deciding between the 15" and the 18".

Anyone have experience with either one? How do they compare to stock? I want a little more of a throaty sound, which the Area P seems to have - especially the standard, but I don't know that I would be able to tolerate the sound level of it....

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions??? Thanks!

*UPDATE* Kerry emailed me back today (I sent them one yesterday morning) and included a sound clip for the quiet core. It was much louder than I was expecting, but I think that's the one I'm going to go with.... I don't think I could handle even the 15" after hearing the 18"!

Kurosaki
December 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Quiet core all the way. You will hear it but it is not stupid loud or annoying. I love mine. Some think the QC can is too long but I think it's just fine and looks great.

kkim
December 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think she's trying to decide between the 15" and 18" QC. The original (loud) AP cans are 12".

Kurosaki
December 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah but I figured 15 is still on the loud side, at least for my ears given the 3" increments. I wouldn't want mine any louder and if it was, I wouldn't like it. I figure that's what the 15" is.

kkim
December 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah but I figured 15 is still on the loud side, at least for my ears given the 3" increments. I wouldn't want mine any louder and if it was, I wouldn't like it. I figure that's what the 15" is.

I agree with you... I wouldn't want the exhaust to be any louder than it already is, either. But you know, some are slaves to "fashion"... damn the functionality... which is why they give us choices, I guess. :rolleyes:

VeX
December 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
You posted in the 1st gen forum :D . Yeah I'd shy away from the 12" indeed! I'd like to get a 15" myself as I think it'd be a good compromise, but that's $225 I don't have to burn at the moment.

islanderman7
December 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Umm, I looked at Area P's website and I do not see a 15" quiet core for the 250. I'm confused. Is it more for this option, like $225 more according to Vex?

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Umm, I looked at Area P's website and I do not see a 15" quiet core for the 250. I'm confused. Is it more for this option, like $225 more according to Vex?

they don't show the 15" can on their site, but you can order it instead of any of the other sizes they offer (12 or 18). The $225 Vex is referring to is if he were to buy only the 15" can to replace the 12" can he has now. Area P is a great company who excels in customer service. If you have any questions email or call Kerry at AreaP. I suggest you speak with Kerry as he's the boss there and some others that others have spoken to have not been as knowledgeable as he. I can't say enough about Area P's quality of product, superb customer service and willingness to satisfy the need/wants of their customers.

Can you tell I'm a very satisfied customer??? Believe it or not, I'm a very picky customer and when something doesn't go right, I'll let you know. When something does go right, you've got a loyal customer for life. :D

islanderman7
December 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
they don't show the 15" can on their site, but you can order it instead of any of the other sizes they offer (12 or 18). The $225 Vex is referring to is if he were to buy only the 15" can to replace the 12" can he has now. Area P is a great company who excels in customer service. If you have any questions email or call Kerry at AreaP. I suggest you speak with Kerry as he's the boss there and some others that others have spoken to have not been as knowledgeable as he. I can't say enough about Area P's quality of product, superb customer service and willingness to satisfy the need/wants of their customers.

Can you tell I'm a very satisfied customer??? Believe it or not, I'm a very picky customer and when something doesn't go right, I'll let you know. When something does go right, you've got a loyal customer for life. :D

I can tell. :rolleyes: But you are right, I feel they have good customer service. I sent them a question and the emailed me back the same day. Good turn around.

Anyways, I'm guessing you and Kurosaki have the 18" how's that working for you guys? Was debating between which size to get because for one, I like LOUD sounds (I am hard of hearing so I can tolerate it), but at the same time I don't want a citation. LEO's in my area are pretty anal.

k-os
December 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
I was tempted to buy this today. Pretty good price, and I just love the look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HR1-RIOT-EXHAUST-KAWASAKI-NINJA-250-2008_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1 318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170283972 881QQitemZ170283972881QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's about $100 cheaper than ordering directly from their site.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 01:31 AM
I was tempted to buy this today. Pretty good price, and I just love the look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HR1-RIOT-EXHAUST-KAWASAKI-NINJA-250-2008_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1 318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170283972 881QQitemZ170283972881QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's about $100 cheaper than ordering directly from their site.

you do know those things are loud as fark, don't you? :(

Kurosaki
December 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Anyways, I'm guessing you and Kurosaki have the 18" how's that working for you guys? Was debating between which size to get because for one, I like LOUD sounds (I am hard of hearing so I can tolerate it), but at the same time I don't want a citation. LEO's in my area are pretty anal.

Well, don't let the name confuse you too much. It's called quiet core but that's quiet compared to the standard 12". If you get on the gas and let the engine rev, people will hear you. But it's very mild at cruising and lighter throttle. I don't have a problem hearing mine in the middle of the ton of loud bikes when I'm at the track.

you do know those things are loud as fark, don't you? :(

And I think it's just a slip-on?

Ducati916Senna
December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
All I can say is Loud Pipes Save Lives.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 11:12 AM

you can say it, but it still doesn't make it true. :(

camaroz1985
December 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
I can also say Loud Pipes Annoy Me

:D

That is why I kept the stock pipe. Sure it is ugly, heavy, and limits performance, but I just couldn't deal with something loud on a 4-5 hour ride.

Kurosaki
December 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
It sounds like the Quiet Core is for you then!

islanderman7
December 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Well not against DEAF people. Deaf people can legally drive too you know.:thumbup:

Felix
December 4th, 2008, 02:01 AM
My bleeding ears will tell you to get the quiet core!

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my can, sure its so loud my brain rattles off my spine, but it sounds GREAT when I'm into it! Also it HAS alerted blind cagers to my arrival, so I approve of that.

... but if I knew it was this loud I would have got the quiet core :P

Felix

Ducati916Senna
December 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Listen to a Jardine GP1 exhaust on a Gixxer and tell me this exhaust is still too loud. You guys are a bunch of pansies. Like the guy at area p told me when I ordered my wife's exhaust, "Who wants a quiet exhaust anyway?" . I agreed.

TrueFaith
December 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have the standard (not QC) full Area-P system on my 250R and I really don't think it's that loud. The sound is nothing compared to some of the V-twins with straight pipes that blast through here on a daily basis. While it is louder than the stock pipe, I don't think it's TOO loud. I find it pretty easy to throttle down when I'm approching the center of towns to keep the noise down and have passed many a policeman without a problem. Once away from town though, there's nothing like that deep, throaty sound on the back roads. It really does add to the riding experience and I'd never go back to a stock pipe or switch to a quiet core.

Ducati916Senna
December 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Amen, brother.:thumbup:

Kurosaki
December 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Listen to a Jardine GP1 exhaust on a Gixxer and tell me this exhaust is still too loud. You guys are a bunch of pansies. Like the guy at area p told me when I ordered my wife's exhaust, "Who wants a quiet exhaust anyway?" . I agreed.

Kerry at Area P is really great (I met him in person) and their operation and customer service are top notch but he is a salesman. If you're interested in the standard exhaust, of course he's going to sell you on it. I was interested in the QC and he did his best to sell me on.

Incredibly obnoxious exhausts like the gixxer you mentioned doesn't make the standard AP not a loud exhaust. It is. Bikes with REALLY loud exhaust like what you're describing don't belong on the street, IMO. It's borderline noise pollution. The 12" AP is not that extreme and is pretty tolerable but it's still pretty loud. If that's your thing, then cool.:thumbup:

But not everyone wants everyone else in a mile radius to hear them when they ride.

It's not like the quiet core is quiet like the stock exhaust. It's just quieter than the standard. Don't let the name "quiet core" fool you. It still has the same throaty tone and alot of volume, especially at WOT in the second half of the RPM range. If I ride to a friend's house, he knows when I get there because he can still clearly hear me. Have you heard the Quiet Core before?

At my last day out at the track with a group of other 250s, I was the only one with a QC pipe and everyone else had the 12". I think I know the difference. It's not like the sound of my bike was getting lost among the others.

If there was no point or merit to the quiet core, it would never have been made. It became an option out of generated interest for performance gain with less of a trade off of having a really loud bike. Because that's what the Area P is about, right? The performance first. If having a loud bike and nothing else is the main goal, a loud slip-on would have accomplished that goal.

Ducati916Senna
December 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I was just messing with you guys. No need to get all defensive. LOL. What ever you like on your bike is a matter on personal taste. I think just having an aftermarket exhaust is cool, period. Even though, my wife thinks her exhaust is just right.:D

noche_caliente
December 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
*UPDATE* Kerry emailed me back today (I sent them one yesterday morning) and included a sound clip for the quiet core. It was much louder than I was expecting, but I think that's the one I'm going to go with.... I don't think I could handle even the 15" after hearing the 18"!

kkim
December 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Good choice... sometimes function just has to win out over form. ;)

I know you're going CF... what end cap are you getting?

HKr1
December 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
That is why I kept the stock pipe. Sure it is ugly, heavy, and limits performance, but I just couldn't deal with something loud on a 4-5 hour ride.

Yeah, we went back to stock this weekend. Wife liked it quiet & really missed the compression breaking :thumbup:

noche_caliente
December 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Good choice... sometimes function just has to win out over form. ;)

I know you're going CF... what end cap are you getting?

no clue yet - I'll probably just let the hubby pick - I don't know that he realizes just how much the thing costs! I'm tempted to go with the stainless because of the cost, but I like the added safety factor of the cooler CF for the kid... not to mention that I think it will look better with the black...

After looking more... I think I like this one the best...
http://www.areapnolimits.com/images/product/zx14_08_1_big.jpg

kkim
December 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
no clue yet - I'll probably just let the hubby pick - I don't know that he realizes just how much the thing costs! I'm tempted to go with the stainless because of the cost, but I like the added safety factor of the cooler CF for the kid... not to mention that I think it will look better with the black...

If I had known the CF can does not heat like the SS can, I would have gone for CF for that reason alone. I'd also go CF with a black bike for looks.

yep, I like that end cap, too.

noche_caliente
December 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
If I had known the CF can does not heat like the SS can, I would have gone for CF for that reason alone. I'd also go CF with a black bike for looks.

Damn, I must be getting too old-fashioned if we are thinking alike on this ;)

kkim
December 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Damn, I must be getting too old-fashioned if we are thinking alike on this ;)

no, you're just starting to think smarter.:lol:

does your head hurt, yet??? :fightmallets:

Kurosaki
December 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM

I tell you, on a cold ride, it's nice to get to where I'm going and put my hands on the muffler to warm them up.:cool:

VeX
December 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't like chrome and like the "pro-street" look from the 80's so that's why I went CF. Then again I waited until someone sold their bike and picked up the full Area P for (If I remember correctly) $300. If I had ordered through Area P though I would've definitely gotten the flush end cap like is in the picture. From what I've heard Area P is more than happy to put those caps on for no extra cost and they look slick!

That and I hate the 12". It LOOKS better IMO, but is way to f'ing loud. Quiet core FTW!

HKr1
December 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Get an end cap like Kelly's :cool:

kkim
December 8th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Get an end cap like Kelly's :cool:
oops! you're showing your age again. :)