View Full Version : Which Oil Filter?

g21-30
December 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
So, 250.org has a list of oil filters for our bikes. Two of them, the perpetual Fram (CH6012) and the Purolator ML16812 always show up in 'net searches and usually at Amazon. Since I haven't changed the filter, yet, why is the Purolator filter shown as a "spin-on"? See the attached.

islanderman7
December 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Unless you did a mod on your oil filter housing, you do not need a spin on. The part you want is Purolator ML16812. As to your question why both show up on net searches I have no idea. But 8.00 for a Purolater... that is outrageous! I can get that at Pep Boys for 4.00.

This has a list of Non-OEM oil filters you can use for your bike.
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=113982

TrueFaith
December 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
I've been using the K&N 401 filter for my 250R. Very similar to stock and usually goes for $5-6 on web sites like Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Superstore.

g21-30
December 3rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
I was wondering why the Purolator appeared as a spin on in the ads, when it is NOT a spin on! The Amazon price is 2/$8. Thanks for the heads up on Pep Boys. I called them and will pickup the last 2 tonight! Pep Boys verified it is not a spin on.

islanderman7
December 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I was wondering why the Purolator appeared as a spin on in the ads, when it is NOT a spin on! The Amazon price is 2/$8. Thanks for the heads up on Pep Boys. I called them and will pickup the last 2 tonight! Pep Boys verified it is not a spin on.

I made a mistake, you can also purchase Fram CH6012. Kragen sells these for like 4 bucks too.

I've been using the K&N 401 filter for my 250R. Very similar to stock and usually goes for $5-6 on web sites like Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Superstore.

Thats a good deal. My local cyclegear wants 11.00. I bought filters from Fram, Carquest, Purolator, and K&N just to compare quality. And I think that the K&N filter is the best quality. Good stuff.

OldGuy
December 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't have the personal experience to say which one but, many of the sites I have visited point at the K&N, Purolator and others. Most of them also say to stay away from the Fram. A couple of the sites even suggest that you might as well use a roll of TP if you are going to put a Fram in there. NAPA has one also that was a reasonable price and had both O-rings.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
NAPA has one also that was a reasonable price and had both O-rings. NAPA gold filters are made by WIX. :)

OldGuy
December 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks Kelly, I couldn't remember for sure who was their supplier and didn't want to guess the wrong company.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks Kelly, I couldn't remember for sure who was their supplier and didn't want to guess the wrong company.

NP, Don. Just be sure to use the Gold filters as the "lesser" quality filters at NAPA are made by other manufactures. It's only the gold line that are made by WIX.

anthonyonakawasaki
June 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Do you know the part number for the NAPA Gold filter made by WIX?

Thanks

NP, Don. Just be sure to use the Gold filters as the "lesser" quality filters at NAPA are made by other manufactures. It's only the gold line that are made by WIX.

g21-30
June 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Do you know the part number for the NAPA Gold filter made by WIX?

Thanks

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10780

OldGuy
June 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Power Sport Oil Filter PS4941. :D

randomwalk101
June 29th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Mobil 1 m1-104 works well
Posted via Mobile Device

anthonyonakawasaki
June 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Is the Mobil 1 m1-104 a screw-on type?

If so, do you know of other screw on filters that, if opened up, will fit on the 08 ninja 250?

randomwalk101
June 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I just screwed it on as is...fits great.

anthonyonakawasaki
June 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wow, thanks for the good info. I'm an avid Mobil 1 user and you just made my day.

So does this mean that the filter hangs below where the mounting bolt and retainer plate sit?

You are the man, thanks

ScorpionNinja
June 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Power Sport Oil Filter PS4941. :D

I bought this filter from my local NAPA store last week. I DONT have a Camera to take a PIC, but im just letting you guys know that...
NAPA - PS4941 "NPS" napa power sport.
comes with TWO O-rings. 1 is Black and looks to be the 90mm (large) one, and this Other O-ring is RED and alil Larger then the Black one!
The part # on the filter itself reads:
NAPA PS4941
090606AP1

now flip the filter over, and Read the other side...

"Made in Poland"

This filter was $7.30 (OTD)

Im going to NAPA in 2 hrs to return this one, and to stop Back up at another Parts store, that SELLS WIX Filters, the guys got 2 WIX 24941 filters waiting for me! :thumbup:

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
dunno... is the power sports filter the same as a gold line filter? when you take the filter back to NAPA, ask them if they still have gold line filters. they are the ones that are supposed to be manufactured by WIX.

backinthesaddleagain
June 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
was going to my local napa tonight to see if they have the filter. anyother national chains carry wix??

Banzai
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Anyone have any substantive data as to why the Fram is so poorly reported everywhere?

g21-30
June 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Even though I just bought 2 Fram filters at Walmart, when I purchased the Shell Rotella 5W-40W oil, I'm going to return the filters and continue to use the Purolator one.

Anyway, I did a quick google and found this:

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/

Follow the link and click on the selected filter in the left panel. Make an educated guess. YMMV

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Fram PH6017A
Manufacturer Allied Signal, now Honeywell

I work for the company (different division) that owns Fram.

That alone (among others) is enough for me to stay away from buying their oil filters. There's a reason why they can make those suckers so cheap.

g21-30
June 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Since I just happen to still have the used OEM filter from Kawasaki and a used Purolator one, I just went to my garage and compared the Fram with them. The OEM is made in China (#MF012). The Purolator and the OEM look identical, except for markings on the top and base. Both have a metal top and base, while the Fram has a plastic top and base, along with a single metal strip connecting the top and base. All 3 have paper elements, but the gluing is poorly done on the Fram.

Banzai
June 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I just looked at my Fram and my OEM. Both have a metal top and base, and the Fram also clearly says made in China. If anything, the Fram that I have has better gluing than the OEM, and better top and bottom center gaskets.

almost40
June 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I use the Fram and they work fine for me. I dont know what all the fuss is about. When I change my oil the fram looks just like it did when I put it in there, only dirty. It must be filtering something. To each his own. Ill try the Napa on next time just for the health of it. Ill bet when I take it out, it looks like the used fram too.

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I agree... use what you want. It's a decision that each one of us makes and lives with.

ScorpionNinja
June 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
yea true that, use what you feel safe with.

IE: if you used Valvoline Oils in your Cars all your Life (like me) stick with it...

But back to the Ninja oil filters... of the filters that FIT our bikes... besides the WIX 24941 filter... what Others COME with the O-rings? BAM you buy 1 item, and all 3 come with it. no need to hunt for Orings n ****! Ive been looking into filters for my ninja for 3 weeks now, calling places, looking at afew filters (open box) to see what kind Orings come or Dont come with them... today i found a WIX dealer, and its only 8 miles from home, no Ordering **** online,etc... Drive and BUY when i need one! So thats what it comes to for me! :thumbup:

Banzai
June 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I use the Fram and they work fine for me. I dont know what all the fuss is about. When I change my oil the fram looks just like it did when I put it in there, only dirty. It must be filtering something.

I agree, that's why I was asking.

As for there being a Mobil 1 screw on type cannister filter as reported above....I wanna see that one!

noche_caliente
June 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
the K&N comes with o-rings

Purspeed
June 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Oil, Oil Filters, Dry vs. Wet clutch, single side swingarm vs. dsa...these arguments go on for eternity.

Whatever filter you use, don't use Fram. Change oil frequently. SeaFoam your gas/engine every once in a while. Enjoy.

ps I use purelator from Kragen and Shell Rotella T 5W-30 fully synthetic...in case you are wondering.

backinthesaddleagain
June 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Fram PH6017A
Manufacturer Allied Signal, now Honeywell

I work for the company (different division) that owns Fram.

That alone (among others) is enough for me to stay away from buying their oil filters. There's a reason why they can make those suckers so cheap.

Hey there i worked for Allied Signal Auto Aftermarket for 18 months in the early 90's. Crappiest company i ever worked for. Then they owned fram, bendix, and autolite. I will say this though, the lab was next door to the building i worked in (until they moved it to Ohio) and these guys were filter nazi's. They claimed their media (the paper inside the filter) was second to none. they would rip open a competitors filter and run fine particles through it and through the fram media. The fram media stopped more particles, and you could see it in person. Again, I hated the company, but did believe at the time they were superior. don't know whats happened since then.

BTW there were 2 openings in the company and some well meaning, but incapable of pulling it off person, selected 3 of us for the job. I had least seniority so I was odd man out, then my boss (who was a jerk) made my life difficult, so I left there.

BlueRaven
March 19th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I remember seeing this before but now that i'm about to do my next oil change after winter storage i'm wondering if there are synthetic oil filters for our bike?

I've seen Fram has synthetic oil filters on the market although i don't fully trust them and have only used K&N in the past.

Is there any benefits to the synthetic oil filters compared to the regular ones.

backinthesaddleagain
March 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
I bought this filter from my local NAPA store last week. I DONT have a Camera to take a PIC, but im just letting you guys know that...
NAPA - PS4941 "NPS" napa power sport.
comes with TWO O-rings. 1 is Black and looks to be the 90mm (large) one, and this Other O-ring is RED and alil Larger then the Black one!
The part # on the filter itself reads:
NAPA PS4941
090606AP1

now flip the filter over, and Read the other side...

"Made in Poland"

This filter was $7.30 (OTD)

Im going to NAPA in 2 hrs to return this one, and to stop Back up at another Parts store, that SELLS WIX Filters, the guys got 2 WIX 24941 filters waiting for me! :thumbup:

Exactly what happened to me. One big and one bigger. One black, and one red. Whats up with that?

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
NAPA "Gold" filters are sourced to WIX. All others are made by various manufactures in agreement with NAPA.

backinthesaddleagain
March 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
NAPA "Gold" filters are sourced to WIX. All others are made by various manufactures in agreement with NAPA.

Kelly,
any knowledge of a purolator mf012?
Greg

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
nope... sorry. :o

backinthesaddleagain
March 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
nope... sorry. :o

thanks - guess i will just take it back and see if they have another one with the correct filter in the box, also get orings from dealer so that i can use them next oil change after this one.

HKr1
March 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
The OEM is made in China (#MF012). the Fram.

I dont see anything on the filter, but the OEM box says "made in japan".

poo poo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
keep an eye out. i bought one for $6 inclusive of shipping. solid and wicked looking with the red. they have both of the o rings (small and big). why settle for less?