View Full Version : Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride?

Pages : [1] 2

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
If so, why? If not, why not?

:)

Sailariel
December 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don`t use them because the bike is very quiet and because my full face helmet (HJC) fits so well that any wind noise is negligable--I also have a high frequency hearing loss from things that went Boom while I was in Nam, that I probably would not be bothered by wind noise.

workdaddy
December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I don't... The noise relly does not bother me. But when I ride I am one of those who uses helmet speakers for my MP3 player:cool:

camaroz1985
December 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I don't use ear plugs but do use ear bud headphones that fit tightly in my ears when I go on long trips. They pretty much act as ear plugs. I can listen to my ipod on the lowest volume setting and still hear it fine, as well as passing traffic.

I don't use anything when I am just riding around, but if it is longer than an hour or two (especially on the highway) I use the ipod and ear buds (Skullcandy). I also have the iJet remote for my ipod so I can put it in a tank bag, or my pocket, and control it with the remote on my handlebars.

That said, I can't do any of this anymore since my ipod was stolen from my garage :mad:

workdaddy
December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hey Ryan:
Did you try others before getting the Skull Candy brand?:confused: I have tried like 2~3 and they all seem to hurt my earhole... These seem alittle smaller and softer almost siliconish? If so I am sure they are better, my ear mic for work is way comfy... have been looking for ones like that (silicon)

camaroz1985
December 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Dave,

I have only used the skullcandy and the standard ipod earbuds. The skullcandy are way more comfortable, and stay in place better. I have no problem wearing them for 4 hours. They come with 3 sizes of tips so you can find the ones that fit your ears the best.

OldGuy
December 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Don't wear them and had never really thought about it. Like Alex my full face HJC fits such that I really don't have any wind noise and the stock cans on my little 250 aren't that noisy (yet).

Kurosaki
December 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
I ride with my ipod. It's loud enough to hear but I can still hear my bike and the same things I can hear without the earphones in.

I think riding with music being a good idea or not depends on who you are. Some people get "pumped up" or whatever with their music on which can create careless riding habits and a big distraction for them... I'm not so much that way. I'll wear them while riding the mountain too. I notice that when I do this though and I turn the wick up a bit, I don't even hear the music anymore. Then when I back off a bit, I'm like... oh yeah I have my ipod on. Almost forgot. :D

Bone_Head311
December 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I don't use earplugs when i ride. I might want to look into it for a long ride, with the new exhaust. Unsilenced full yoshi.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Riding without some sort of ear protection can ruin your hearing. It's not the exhaust which kills it, it's the high frequency of wind noise passing the helmet that usually does the most damage.

I used to work part time in a radar shop with high pitched exhaust fans on the cabinets. Every one of the full time techs there had hearing loss. Back in those days, it wasn't a common thing to wear earplugs. Today, most of those techs have a hard time hearing.

You can test your hearing using this as a rough guide to see how bad your high frequency ear response curve has been damaged to date. Lol... I won't tell you what I can' t hear. :rolleyes:

If you are younger and value your hearing, consider using earplugs... it gonna be nice to be able to enjoy music when you get older. :)

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

noche_caliente
December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Riding without some sort of ear protection can ruin your hearing. It's not the exhaust which kills it, it's the high frequency of wind noise passing the helmet that usually does the most damage.

I used to work part time in a radar shop with high pitched exhaust fans on the cabinets. Every one of the full time techs there had hearing loss. Back in those days, it wasn't a common thing to wear earplugs. Today, most of those techs have a hard time hearing.

You can test your hearing using this as a rough guide to see how bad your high frequency ear response curve has been damaged to date. Lol... I won't tell you what I can' t hear. :rolleyes:

If you are younger and value your hearing, consider using earplugs... it gonna be nice to be able to enjoy music when you get older. :)

I can hear all of them!!! :D
I guess that's part of the reason that I can overhear all sorts of conversations certain young folks don't want me to hear...

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I can hear all of them!!! :D
I guess that's part of the reason that I can overhear all sorts of conversations certain young folks don't want me to hear...

you've got to be kidding!! :mad:

it doesn't count if you to put the volume up to 20 and and stick your ear right next to the speaker! :ear: :flypig:

Alex
December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Glad you posted the "old fart" message Kelly, because if you hadn't I would have.

The exhaust noise has nothing to do with this. Unless you're riding a big twin with open headers, or perhaps a MotoGP bike, the exhaust noise when you're at highway speed isn't going to be particularly damaging. The wind noise absolutely will. There isn't a helmet out there that is quiet enough to prevent hearing damage after a decent distance on the highway.

I use earplugs on every ride other than a trip down the street to fillup the bike at the gas station. Once you start riding with them, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier. It makes riding that much calmer; the windnoise causes a bunch of stress that you don't notice until it's gone. It's less tiring. And it's orders of magnitude safer for your long-term hearing. Even for those who listen to music while riding, I've found that the best fidelity is with helmet speakers + earplugs. Blocks out the windnoise. If you just use earbuds, in most cases you have to turn the volume up to max for it to be usable on the highway. So you're blasting wind noise and music noise into your noggin.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foearplinlaq.html

We've always got a box of 200 pairs of E-A-R Classic yellow foamies in the garage, and we order a new one whenever it's looking a little low. $24.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Glad you posted the "old fart" message Kelly, because if you hadn't I would have.

The exhaust noise has nothing to do with this. Unless you're riding a big twin with open headers, or perhaps a MotoGP bike, the exhaust noise when you're at highway speed isn't going to be particularly damaging. The wind noise absolutely will. There isn't a helmet out there that is quiet enough to prevent hearing damage after a decent distance on the highway.

I use earplugs on every ride other than a trip down the street to fillup the bike at the gas station. Once you start riding with them, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier. It makes riding that much calmer; the windnoise causes a bunch of stress that you don't notice until it's gone. It's less tiring. And it's orders of magnitude safer for your long-term hearing. Even for those who listen to music while riding, I've found that the best fidelity is with helmet speakers + earplugs. Blocks out the windnoise. If you just use earbuds, in most cases you have to turn the volume up to max for it to be usable on the highway. So you're blasting wind noise and music noise into your noggin.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foearplinlaq.html

We've always got a box of 200 pairs of E-A-R Classic yellow foamies in the garage, and we order a new one whenever it's looking a little low. $24. uhhh... what did you say??? speak up, sonny!! :wheelchair:

toku
December 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Usually I don't wear anything under my helmet; speeds never get that fast on the twisty roads that I've found wind to be a serious problem. The only time I spend considerable time on the highway is riding between school and home. In that case I'll wear earbuds which are noise canceling.

I generally hate putting stuff in my ears so that's a huge reason I don't wear plugs. Also wearing earbuds for prolonged periods of time really irritates my ears unless I get them just right, with a helmet on that can be an ordeal in itself. But I think I don't really want to wear plugs becasue of my experiences with earbuds, I just have a feeling they'll be uncomfortable.

noche_caliente
December 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
you've got to be kidding!! :mad:

it doesn't count if you to put the volume up to 20 and and stick your ear right next to the speaker! :ear: :flypig:
Nope - no cheating involved - I've been tested with the ringtone and passed, and I didn't even know I was being tested.... :cool:

Sucks being old, huh?

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Sucks being old, huh? lol... don't worry, you'll find out. :)

ScraitT
December 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Well crap...I guess I'm screwed

I can barely hear the 30+ one and I'm only 22 :confused: Soon as it hits the 24 and younger tons I can't hear a thing unless I turn my speakers up all the way, and even then I can only get an extra 1-2 tones.

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
The whole point of this thread was to save you younger riders potential hearing loss that can creep up on you without you ever knowing it.

have you ever taken your helmet off after a long, high speed ride and noticed your ears ringing? If so, that's not good. repeated, prolonged exposure to high volume noise can slowly kill the tiny nerves in your ears.

I never used plugs in all my years of riding and now I wish I had. Now that I do use them, like Alex said, the ride is so much more enjoyable. If I can learn new things at my age, what's your excuse??

Protect your hearing. Riding w/o earplugs will cause hearing loss in the long run.

ScraitT
December 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
99% of my rides are only about 3 miles long unfortunately.

The hearing loss I have so far though I have no clue why. I know it's not the bike, because there's no way I have ridden enough to cause hearing damage (just passed the 600 mile mark...and the bikes getting close to the 1 year mark :( god I need to ride more!).

But I'll definitely give earplugs a thought...especially with how bad off I am already :eek:

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
99% of my rides are only about 3 miles long unfortunately.

The hearing loss I have so far though I have no clue why. I know it's not the bike, because there's no way I have ridden enough to cause hearing damage (just passed the 600 mile mark...and the bikes getting close to the 1 year mark :( god I need to ride more!).

But I'll definitely give earplugs a thought...especially with how bad off I am already :eek:lol... play in a band as a youngster? :p

Felix
December 4th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Yep certainly do where plugs... have to. Doesnt matter if its 1km or 100km, slow speed or high speed. My bike doesnt drop below 8k rpm and heads to redline most gear changes, I ride it very hard, and the AreaP 12inch is as good as an open header, its SOOO loud, even with full face Shoei helmet, I get free plugs at work, so I make use of them.

Felix

FlamingYellowInsanity
December 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
...and the AreaP 12inch is as good as an open header, its SOOO loud, even with full face Shoei helmet

Is there something like this for the gen1 ninjette? Mine's an 04 and I was wanting some really REALLY loud pipes, like F1 loud, so I can wind up and annoy people when they are tailgaiting me, and to look cool at bikenight, lol!

:fullband:

Ok, back on topic now. I don't wear earplugs but every once in a while. I think I will start wearing my noise canceling earbuds though after reading this thread. I believe that wearing headphones is technically illegal in CA, but I've never even heard of someone getting called on it.

Travis

:partytime10:

kkim
December 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Is there something like this for the gen1 ninjette? Mine's an 04 and I was wanting some really REALLY loud pipes, like F1 loud, so I can wind up and annoy people when they are tailgaiting me, and to look cool at bikenight, lol!

:fullband:

Travis

are you serious? :smile:

ninjabrewer
December 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I usually wear them, on some short trips I don't, but for the most part, I do. I have gotten use to wearing earplugs years ago. Helicopters that are turning blades and have 2 screaming turbo shaft engines have a tendency to kill your hearing with a quickness. Over the past 20 years I have had 11 hearing tests, and my hearing isn't too bad considering the job I did.

Gotta agree with the above, wind noise above about 45 or so, for me anyway, is a real distraction.

NB

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I usually wear them, on some short trips I don't, but for the most part, I do. I have gotten use to wearing earplugs years ago. Helicopters that are turning blades and have 2 screaming turbo shaft engines have a tendency to kill your hearing with a quickness. Over the past 20 years I have had 11 hearing tests, and my hearing isn't too bad considering the job I did.

Gotta agree with the above, wind noise above about 45 or so, for me anyway, is a real distraction.

NB did you try testing your hearing using this yet? http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

FlamingYellowInsanity
December 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Kind of. I'd like something that sounds a little beefier than the stock cans, but looking cool isn't exactly a high priority to me, but louder might keep people from tailgaiting me so much. I drive about 90 miles a day on the freeway (to school), and you wouldn't believe the people in this area. In a weeks time, I had 2 people pass me on the outside of the carpool lane while I was cruisin' at 75mph (82 indicated)! One passed when it was paved, the other passed on the dirt!!! And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.

I'm seriously thinking of just mounting up my Katana (sword) on the bike and seeing if that helps. That, or sparkplugs/lugnuts/rocks. OK, rant over...

Though, I talked to a friend of mine who rides a HD with aftermarket pipes, and he says no one ever tailgaits him, EVER. Food for thought maybe.

Travis

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Kind of. I'd like something that sounds a little beefier than the stock cans, but looking cool isn't exactly a high priority to me, but louder might keep people from tailgaiting me so much. I drive about 90 miles a day on the freeway (to school), and you wouldn't believe the people in this area. In a weeks time, I had 2 people pass me on the outside of the carpool lane while I was cruisin' at 75mph (82 indicated)! One passed when it was paved, the other passed on the dirt!!! And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.

I'm seriously thinking of just mounting up my Katana (sword) on the bike and seeing if that helps. That, or sparkplugs/lugnuts/rocks. OK, rant over...

Though, I talked to a friend of mine who rides a HD with aftermarket pipes, and he says no one ever tailgaits him, EVER. Food for thought maybe.

Travis

if you are looking for loud pipes for the pregens, Muzzy is supposed to be ridiculously loud, but at least has the distinction of actually adding some power to the bike.

Alex
December 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM
And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.

Forget the loud pipes. Move over. If you have that many people angered behind you, to the point where some have actually passed on the dirt to get around, there's something else going on here.

Remember, there's no "winning" in any conflict between a bike and a car. Holding the moral high ground means nothing if you're not around to enjoy it afterwards. If you notice a tailgater (and you're not being careful enough if you don't notice a tailgater), move over. Let them by. And go on with your day.

If you get passed on the right by 1 vehicle when you're in the left lane, wake up and see if you are really in the correct lane. If you are passed on the right by 2 vehicles? You're absolutely, unequivocably driving in the wrong lane. Slower traffic keep right. Left lane for passing. :2cents:

Stay safe out there! :ride:

rattrap
December 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
i always ride with either earplugs or earbuds for music/cell. i used to use speakers mounted in my helmet, but i found the wind noise inside my helmet bothersome (and my rf1000 is way quieter than the hjc flip i wore long ago).

the previous replies regarding playing in bands in younger days hits home with me. back then, i never gave a thought to putting anything in to protect my ears.

ever have an ear infection where your hearing was impaired? that happened to me last month, and it was terrible.

try playing music in that condition...for some reason everyone tells you to turn your instrument down! :eek: :D

FlamingYellowInsanity
December 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Forget the loud pipes. Move over. If you have that many people angered behind you, to the point where some have actually passed on the dirt to get around, there's something else going on here.

Remember, there's no "winning" in any conflict between a bike and a car. Holding the moral high ground means nothing if you're not around to enjoy it afterwards. If you notice a tailgater (and you're not being careful enough if you don't notice a tailgater), move over. Let them by. And go on with your day.

If you get passed on the right by 1 vehicle when you're in the left lane, wake up and see if you are really in the correct lane. If you are passed on the right by 2 vehicles? You're absolutely, unequivocably driving in the wrong lane. Slower traffic keep right. Left lane for passing. :2cents:

Stay safe out there! :ride:

Yup, I've been staying in the right lanes more now, though the drivers that passed me were driving like jerks anyway (swerving through 2-4 lanes at a time in 15+mph excess of traffic speeds). It's just a shame that 75mph (82 indicated) is the slow lane now.

I generally let them by if I can, but when I ride in the carpool lane I can only move over every few miles, and I hardly ever see people in the CP lane, but once in a great while I get jerks like these guys that seem to think 75mph is SO FREAKIN SLOW!!!

Ok, rant over again. Back on topic.

I did try the headphones on my trip to school (~1hr each way) and luckilly I did a test run first to the bowling alley, I had my MP3 on repeat!!! Man, it was a good song, but 4+ times got old, would have hated for an hour of it. :cool: But overall they did make for a much nicer ride.

Travis

Alex
December 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I generally let them by if I can, but when I ride in the carpool lane I can only move over every few miles, and I hardly ever see people in the CP lane, but once in a great while I get jerks like these guys that seem to think 75mph is SO FREAKIN SLOW!!!

Makes sense, I forgot that the CP lanes are segregated in SoCal. That's a rarity, in most other parts of the country, NorCal included, the CP/HOV lanes are just the left lane, and people can enter/exit the lane whenever situations warrant it. One of the frustrating parts of the HOV lane is those in carpools or hybrids who dawdle along at 65 mph in the left lane while traffic is moving quicker in all lanes. The HOV lane laws do not supercede general courtesy (and the law!) that states slower vehicles keep right.

Riding a bike on the freeway isn't for the faint of heart, and in some ways our choice of mounts makes it a bit more challenging. We don't have a huge amount of excess power that allows us to just breathe on the throttle and put the bike where we want to, it takes a bit more careful planning and patience to get the Ninjette moving how we'd like. As a general practice, I'd rather be traveling slightly faster than the flow of traffic than at the same pace or slower. Seems to give us more options in case of trouble, and limits the times where we are surprised by something behind us. Of course there will always be vehicles who want to go much faster, but hopefully that's the exception rather than the rule. And going at or faster than the average traffic speed generally puts us in ticket-risk area as well. Life's a bunch of choices, I guess... ;)

HKr1
December 6th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I never use ear plugs, unless Iam riding with those old Harley guys :boink:

sprale
December 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I do occasionally, but with ATGATT it takes enough time already to get ready to ride. In urban traffic, I need to hear everything around me. On trips longer than 30 minutes, I wear them without question. I prefer the molded reusable ones, as the foam disposable ones are generally too big for my narrow canals.

For music, I wear my earbud plugs with my MP3 player on trips.

djpharoah
December 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I do all the time - I never ride without them - why? I have the Two Bros system installed on my ninja 250 a while back cuz my stock pipes were stolen.

Anyways it seems these pipes aren't packed/insulated at all and thus the noise is so freaking loud that I'd get insane headaches without them.

I am seriously considering repacking my pipes.

mcteague
December 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Absolutely. One ride with proper earplugs and you will never go without. It may not seem noisy to some of you, most likely already have significant hearing loss, but the constant noise takes it's toll. Here in MD only custom plugs are legal. I got a pair for $100. It's like riding in a fairly quiet car, you can still hear things but just at a lower level. It's amazing how reducing the noise makes it easier to concentrate on riding. The constant howl of wind and road can really add to your stress level whether you realize it or not.

Tim

mcteague
December 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I do all the time - I never ride without them - why? I have the Two Bros system installed on my ninja 250 a while back cuz my stock pipes were stolen.

Anyways it seems these pipes aren't packed/insulated at all and thus the noise is so freaking loud that I'd get insane headaches without them.

I am seriously considering repacking my pipes.

Maybe you should chip in to buy earplugs to everyone else how has to listen to your bike. I HATE loud motorcycles and think they just add to the public perception that we are all hooligans. The old saying "my freedom to swing my fist ends where your face begins". It this case, your loud pipes assault everyone you ride past. Ah freedom.

Tim

djpharoah
December 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe you should chip in to buy earplugs to everyone else how has to listen to your bike. I HATE loud motorcycles and think they just add to the public perception that we are all hooligans. The old saying "my freedom to swing my fist ends where your face begins". It this case, your loud pipes assault everyone you ride past. Ah freedom.

Tim
I hear that but truthfully people have been more how should I say observant of me on the bike. When my stock pipes were stolen in October, I could only afford to replace them with these as the stock pipes were like another 400 more.

mcteague
December 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I hear that but truthfully people have been more how should I say observant of me on the bike. When my stock pipes were stolen in October, I could only afford to replace them with these as the stock pipes were like another 400 more.

Well, by saying people are "observant" I guess you mean all those "what an a$$hole" looks you get. I hear you about the money thing but the "loud pipes save lives" is a myth. If you want to raise your odds of being seen wear a solid yellow or white helmet and invest in headlight and brakelight modulators.

Tim

ScraitT
December 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Well, by saying people are "observant" I guess you mean all those "what an a$$hole" looks you get. I hear you about the money thing but the "loud pipes save lives" is a myth. If you want to raise your odds of being seen wear a solid yellow or white helmet and invest in headlight and brakelight modulators.

Tim

Give the guy a break, the pipes were NOT his first choice, he wanted the factory pipes but they were far more expensive. I slightly remember the post back on KF when he had his factory pips stolen right off his bike.
He even mentioned that he is thinking about repacking them to try to quiet them down a bit.
I think he is just saying that since he ended up only being able to afford these pipes and they are loud, he has started to notice people paying a bit more attention to him.

I do NOT think loud pipes save lives and I do not like them on the street, however I will say that I DO notice bikes more easily with louder pipes sometimes. Maybe 10-20% of the time I will hear the bike, making me aware of it. But that's a small portion of the time and I don't think that making 10-20% of people more aware of you is worth the risk of making even more people pissed off at you.

I'm just saying give the guy a break, he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find, he just got stuck with it for money issues.:thumbup:

edit-
Sorry, didn't realize that he didn't mention the cost of the pipes until his last post, guess I just remembered that back from his topic on KF. If I remember right, he really was trying hard to get factory pipes back on though.

djpharoah
December 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Give the guy a break, the pipes were NOT his first choice, he wanted the factory pipes but they were far more expensive. I slightly remember the post back on KF when he had his factory pips stolen right off his bike.
He even mentioned that he is thinking about repacking them to try to quiet them down a bit.
I think he is just saying that since he ended up only being able to afford these pipes and they are loud, he has started to notice people paying a bit more attention to him.

I do NOT think loud pipes save lives and I do not like them on the street, however I will say that I DO notice bikes more easily with louder pipes sometimes. Maybe 10-20% of the time I will hear the bike, making me aware of it. But that's a small portion of the time and I don't think that making 10-20% of people more aware of you is worth the risk of making even more people pissed off at you.

I'm just saying give the guy a break, he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find, he just got stuck with it for money issues.:thumbup:

edit-
Sorry, didn't realize that he didn't mention the cost of the pipes until his last post, guess I just remembered that back from his topic on KF. If I remember right, he really was trying hard to get factory pipes back on though.
Thanks man. Yeah being a student and getting screwed when someone stole my pipes were not in the brochure when i got the bike. The two bros were not only cheaper (TBR - $498, Yoshi - $535, Stockies - $899) they were also faster for me to get since they are made down the street from my dealership.

I owuld have loved to get stock pipes to preserve the look of the bike and for the chrome but when I heard the stockies cost more I was like alright Im gonna get the Two Bros.

I am gonna try repacking them this weekend just to lower it down a bit.

TheDuck
December 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
If so, why? If not, why not?

:)

I don't because I like to hear my surroundings and other traffic. In some states its even illegal to wear anything on or in your ears when driving on public roads.

Thanks for that mosquito ringtone link too! I can hear them all, even when the volume is way down.

I suppose the quality if your speakers matters too.

I often can't understand people when they talk, usually hear them just fine but can't figure out then words. I have read that this is one of the first signs of hearing loss, but I figure its just lazy-talking southern people. The greater the redneck, the harder I find them to understand.

Suey250
December 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I didn't right when I started riding, but figured I give it a try, but then after a group ride and every time we stop I couldn't hear what other people were saying unless I took off my helmet and plugs. A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on. From then on I haven't been wearing them, guess I should rethink it huH? :eek:

djpharoah
December 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I didn't right when I started riding, but figured I give it a try, but then after a group ride and every time we stop I couldn't hear what other people were saying unless I took off my helmet and plugs. A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on. From then on I haven't been wearing them, guess I should rethink it huH? :eek:
Whats more important falling behind or your permanent hearing loss? I don't know about you but one is forever while you can always catch up with them.

Alex
December 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM
A pain in the butt, everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on.

Lead by example. Using them is the right way to go, and eventually your buds will catch on as well.

beowuff
December 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I always wear my ear plugs, even if I'm only riding a block down the street. I actually "hear" my bike better with the plugs in. I'm also way more comfortable with them in. I'd like to keep my hearing, thank you.

TonyKZ1
December 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Yep, I always wear my earplugs, plus my gear ATGATT, even just when riding to the gas station, grocery store, or out on a test run.
Tony

Kolya1981
December 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
In PA any hearing protection, cellphone Bluetooth ,or music audio device is illegal. Only thing they allow is rider-to-passenger in helmet communication devices. Guess my hearing is screwed. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
December 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Riding 1 mph over the speed limit is illegal as well, and it doesn't even help your hearing. :)

sprale
December 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
... everybody is leaving and I'm still getting my helmet and gloves back on...

Better than being the squid no one wants to ride with :eek:

Plug 'em!

I gotta get some work done today...

Suey250
December 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Alrighty, I'll make sure to get a pack for the spring..or............learn to read lips and sign language:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

kkim
December 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Alrighty, I'll make sure to get a pack for the spring..or............learn to read lips and sign language:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

your ears will thank you when you get older. :wheelchair:

camaroz1985
December 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
In PA any hearing protection, cellphone Bluetooth ,or music audio device is illegal. Only thing they allow is rider-to-passenger in helmet communication devices. Guess my hearing is screwed. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you sure this isn't just for cars? I highly doubt they would tell us to do this at the MSF course if it was illegal. Either way I'm doing it :p

camaroz1985
December 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Seems that is indeed the case in PA (even though the instructors recommended it).

In case you were wondering about your state check out this site

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Alex
December 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Earplugs were illegal in California up until 2005 or so. Ahnold allowed a bill to pass that included updates to the dmv prohibitions against earplugs. Used to be that only custom-molded ones prescribed by a doc would be OK; now any are OK if they are intended for hearing protection and the user can still hear emergency sirens.

beowuff
December 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
In Washington, you can have one ear piece in that has music or a cell phone, but you can't have both ears with headphones in. That's true for both bikes and cars. However, ear plugs are okay on the bike, as they don't keep you from hearing sirens or horns. Also, I can talk to my wife at a stop light when she's on her bike next to me. So, I don't buy people's arguments that they restrict hearing too much :-P

Kolya1981
December 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Riding 1 mph over the speed limit is illegal as well.

True, but either way you look at it you are breaking the law.

Seems that is indeed the case in PA (even though the instructors recommended it).

In case you were wondering about your state check out this site

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Yup...stupid PA. I think it is pretty dumb. You are still going to hear a siren or a horn with hearing protection. I don't think there is anything that you would hear without ear plugs that you couldn't hear with ear plugs that actually matters.

-Nick

aloh
December 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
craaaaap Im only almost 19 and the highest I could hear is the 17 KHz...

kkim
December 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
craaaaap Im only almost 19 and the highest I could hear is the 17 KHz...

try using some headphones to listen to it. it could just be something to do with your speaker's frequency response that could be the limiting factor... not your hearing. :)

Suey250
December 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I bought some laser lite earplugs....hope they work. Now too bad I have to wait 4 months to try them out. Maybe I can try them at a concert or something. Wear earplugs at a concert:confused::confused:

FlamingYellowInsanity
December 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM
...he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find...

awww... :rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't mention the scooter I have with a straight pipe in the works... LOL! It actually sounds like it has an engine now :D soon it will perform like it too!

But yeah, I'm really glad to hear that Cali changed it's laws regarding plugs. I've been riding my longer rides with noise cancling earbuds and it makes the long trips SO much more pleasant, riding 90+ miles/day, 4 days/week can get a bit tiring with no music!

Travis

Artood2s
December 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM
My plugs are rated at 27 NRR. Do you guys think that will be enough?
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
December 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I think 27 NRR will be fine. I think the E-A-R ones we use are rated at 29, and I have seen some that are rated at 33. Getting them into your ear correctly is the most important factor; some folks may not realize how far they need to be in the ear canal to provide their rated noise protection. :ear:

NJD022588
December 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I never knew that wind noise causes hearing loss. I thought people chose to wear them to make it a more calming ride. I chose not to since I always rely on hearing the engine while riding/driving. When I'm driving my car, I never listen to the music loud so I can hear the engine.

I might have to rethink this since I now know you can still hear the engine well while wearing ear plugs.

beowuff
December 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I might have to rethink this since I now know you can still hear the engine well while wearing ear plugs.

The funny thing is, I can actually "hear" my bike better with the ear plugs in! There's less wind noise, so the engine noise is clearer. I seem to be able to "feel" the engine better also. I think this may be due to less distracting noise...

At least give it a try. And by try, I mean more then one day. It took me about 2 weeks of using them almost every day to get used to them.

As far as music and riding, I can't stand music... I like to listen to the bike and what's going on around me (other cars, etc.) I've been doing a week long ride every summer, and only used music for one day on the first year of riding. I found it way too distracting... To each their own :-P

Alex
December 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yup, you can definitely hear the engine just fine with earplugs in. Even the best ones don't mute the world, they just turn the volume down to safe levels.

I do find that when I'm riding to the gas station without plugs, I can now hear some of the higher-pitched rattling or other unpleasant engine noises that are more muted with plugs. Put the plugs back in, and the engine sounds fine. :thumbup: :D

aloh
December 11th, 2008, 02:26 AM
try using some headphones to listen to it. it could just be something to do with your speaker's frequency response that could be the limiting factor... not your hearing. :)

Just tried it...still cant hear anything past 17Khz. :music:

I'll be officially deaf when im 40.

VeX
December 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
The law for HEADPHONES requires you to have one ear free (In Cali). Then again I've been pulled over thus far two times and haven't heard a peep about sporting ear buds in both ears. I don't know of any of my friends who ride who have been pulled over OR ticketed for wearing headphones or ear buds...

Here in Southern California the freeway speeds move rather quickly and the once or twice in the past couple of months where I don't wear my ear buds on the freeway, the wind noise is alarmingly loud! I wear noise canceling ear-buds and that allows me to:

A) listen to music on a very low volume and still hear it
B) block out a majority of the wind noise and still have the ability to hear what's going on around me.

:thumbup:

aloh
December 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
The law for HEADPHONES requires you to have one ear free (In Cali). Then again I've been pulled over thus far two times and haven't heard a peep about sporting ear buds in both ears. I don't know of any of my friends who ride who have been pulled over OR ticketed for wearing headphones or ear buds...

Here in Southern California the freeway speeds move rather quickly and the once or twice in the past couple of months where I don't wear my ear buds on the freeway, the wind noise is alarmingly loud! I wear noise canceling ear-buds and that allows me to:

A) listen to music on a very low volume and still hear it
B) block out a majority of the wind noise and still have the ability to hear what's going on around me.

What headphones do you have?

I currently have Shure E2's. Theyve served me well for 2 years. I havent used them while riding yet though.

NJD022588
December 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
What headphones do you have?

I currently have Shure E2's. Theyve served me well for 2 years. I havent used them while riding yet though.

Shure earphones seem like they would work well while riding since they seem to go in/plug the ear. They advertise that they are noise-blocking.

I have the Bose in-ear headphones. They sound great, but I'm not sure how they would work with loud noises since they don't completely plug the ear.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp

TheDuck
December 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I noticed today that I can't hear anything above the 16k on my home speakers. I can hear up to 20k on my cell phone, anything 17k and up on my cell phone is downright PAINFUL! But on my NICE speakers at work I can hear all of them!

I think the quality of their speakers can account for many folk's inability to hear some of the higher tones.

Sailariel
December 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I tried some of the foam ear plugs and found them to be really uncomfortable. Bought a set of Browning Ear Plugs designed for shooters. They were expensive and very uncomfortable. Does anybody on this forum have some recommendations?

Alex
December 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I guess it depends on what made them uncomfortable. Was it the material? the shape? I know that the E-A-R classic yellow foamies come in 3 different sizes, standard + large + small. I always just get the standard ones but maybe you'd want to try the small ones to see if they are more comfortable.

These guys offer a "try-em-all" pack of 28 different types/sizes of foam earplugs for $15. Once you find which ones you like, then just order a big-ass box of those.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

noche_caliente
December 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I guess it depends on what made them uncomfortable. Was it the material? the shape? I know that the E-A-R classic yellow foamies come in 3 different sizes, standard + large + small. I always just get the standard ones but maybe you'd want to try the small ones to see if they are more comfortable.

These guys offer a "try-em-all" pack of 28 different types/sizes of foam earplugs for $15. Once you find which ones you like, then just order a big-ass box of those.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

Thanks for the link - I'm going to give them a try!

VeX
December 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM
People were always harping how great "Skull Candy" ear buds are, but mine lasted like a week before one fell apart and the other one shorted out or something. The quality was horrid (for $30 ear buds too!)...

Now I have some Sony ones that were like $40, and I wear them everytime I ride AND at the gym. I beat on those things and they work phenomenonaly (sp??) ... Just make sure if you go the ear bud route that they go IN the ear and have different sized rubber buds. The little round head phones that just lay in the ears are the debil!

BlueTyke
December 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I listen to my Ipod. I have the skull candy buds as well. I only use the one in the right ear though. (Left dominate) So that I can hear arround me. That and I think it is illegal to have both ears with the buds in it.

camaroz1985
December 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
People were always harping how great "Skull Candy" ear buds are, but mine lasted like a week before one fell apart and the other one shorted out or something. The quality was horrid (for $30 ear buds too!)...

Now I have some Sony ones that were like $40, and I wear them everytime I ride AND at the gym. I beat on those things and they work phenomenonaly (sp??) ... Just make sure if you go the ear bud route that they go IN the ear and have different sized rubber buds. The little round head phones that just lay in the ears are the debil!

I have the Skull Candy ear buds. I think I only paid around $15 for them at best buy. They do work good, but I think on my last trip they were starting to go funky. Of course that also could have been from all the rain :)

Cochese
December 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I don`t use them because the bike is very quiet and because my full face helmet (HJC) fits so well that any wind noise is negligable--I also have a high frequency hearing loss from things that went Boom while I was in Nam, that I probably would not be bothered by wind noise.

Same here. My high frequency hearing loss is over 40% in my left ear from work.

Too many gunshots, too much radio traffic in my ear piece!

:D

No plugs for me.

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Same here. My high frequency hearing loss is over 40% in my left ear from work.

Too many gunshots, too much radio traffic in my ear piece!

No plugs for me.

whaaaaaaat? :loco:

Viper-Byte
December 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I could hear all frequencies, with my Sennheiser CX300s, the TV on the other hand topped out at 16khz :o

For the first 3 months of riding, I didn't and each time after riding a fair way, my ears were ringing a little, I have recently got some Sennheiser CX300s and they are the ones that fit securly in ear and they are great, reduce the noise so much with out music, then I can put music on at a really low level on my MP3 player and hear it perfectly (and I can still hear everything around me) the best of both worlds. :)

Only time I don't ride with them is if I am just going to be riding 5 mins down the road in low speed areas.

Angel-be-Good
December 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
It's just a shame that 75mph (82 indicated) is the slow lane now.
There is no "slow" lane. I'm a big advocate of merging right if you're not passing anyone, even if you're going 90. You move left when you need to pass, after you pass you move back to the right and let faster drivers/riders pass you. I really cannot stand people moving into freeway left lanes without passing anyone.

I do occasionally, but with ATGATT it takes enough time already to get ready to ride.
Ear plugs were a bit of an added pain when I first started wearing them, just like it was also a pain to slip my riding pants over my jeans without the jeans riding. But as with the riding pants (and the rest of my time-consuming gear routine), I forced myself to get used to it and now I don't even think about it.

I don't ride anywhere without ear plugs, for a couple of reason. 1) After the first month of riding, one of my ears had a constant inching feeling inside that I figured was an effect of the noise, and 2) I find the bike sounds so much nicer! Any weird noises that might bother a vehicular hypochondriac such as myself are blotted out, and only the sweet rasp of my exhaust gets through.

My plugs are rated at NRR 33 and I can still hear the engine fine, as well as sirens and even typical traffic. Ear plugs don't wipe out wind noise, merely deaden it--it's really not different from driving in a car with the windows rolled up (...I always drive with the windows down).

I tried some of the foam ear plugs and found them to be really uncomfortable. Bought a set of Browning Ear Plugs designed for shooters. They were expensive and very uncomfortable. Does anybody on this forum have some recommendations?
I use Howard Leight Max plugs, got a box of 200 pairs after trying a smaller set I picked up at Safeway. The brand Hearos makes a super soft ear plug (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100217&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku3177122&id=prod3178289) that might be better for you.

aloh
December 31st, 2008, 02:10 AM
I have found that I cannot use my noise blocking shure headphones because it hurts my ears like hell when I try to take my helmet off...

BlueTyke
December 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have found that I cannot use my noise blocking shure headphones because it hurts my ears like hell when I try to take my helmet off...

I use the ones that go in my ear, like fully. I think those are about the same ones. When I pull my helmet off I put my fingers against the cusion by my ears and pull it off that way. I would do that even if I didn't have buds in my ears.

littlemike
January 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I get mandatory earing test every year at my job and I have pretty good hearing so I want to keep it that way. So I wear ear plugs all the time when I ride.

I rode a couple of times on the highway without ear plugs the winds noise was horrible and very uncomfortable. I actually enjoy riding with ear plugs in.

GreezMunky
January 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I wear earphones connected to my zune whenever I go riding. Well except for last Wednesday night when I had a 3 hour ride ahead of me to get home for the New Years and my Zune crapped itself because of that Leap Year bug. I also wear a neck muffler thingy and that helps A LOT when it comes to helping get rid of wind noise by blocking most the wind trying to get up into my helmet.

However, its not going to be anything to do with my motorcycle as to why I'm going to have hearing loss. Its going to be because of those friggin B-1 Bones that fly overhead all the time that stop any kind of conversation for at least a minute or so. :rolleyes:

littlemike
January 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
... I also wear a neck muffler thingy ....

Whats that ? didn't know we can wear something to block some wind getting up your helmet. That would be great where I live !! Its pretty common to have winds of 20-30 mph around here and wind noise can be pretty loud...especially when riding with 50 mph wind gust !

jamse-r
January 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Sport rider mag had a great article with hearling loss and riding. At first it was thought that exhuast were found to cause hearing damage. But the research found that it is actually wind causes more damage when traveling at higher speeds. I am getting old, so plugs are a must.

Alex
February 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
:bump2:

NJD022588
February 25th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the bump! I had already forgotten that I was supposed to get some

kayfouroh
February 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Whats that ? didn't know we can wear something to block some wind getting up your helmet. That would be great where I live !! Its pretty common to have winds of 20-30 mph around here and wind noise can be pretty loud...especially when riding with 50 mph wind gust !

Agreed.. I would love to have a neck muffler :D

lavid2002
February 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
That sucks! Im an avid shooter and hunter, i never wear ear protection and according to this mosquito thing i have the hearing of a 49 year old....im 17... >: O!

maxedpenny
February 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I bought some laser lite earplugs....hope they work. Now too bad I have to wait 4 months to try them out. Maybe I can try them at a concert or something. Wear earplugs at a concert:confused::confused:
Depends on what music your listening to. I was at a Flogging Molly concert and really wish I had plugs in after. I still could barley hear things the next day.

GreezMunky
February 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Agreed.. I would love to have a neck muffler :D

Oops, didn't see this. Neck Muffler

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/neck-warmer/

Somewhat like that but the ones I have are made out of fleece so it's a lot bulkier than the one on that page so it blocks up the open bottom part of the helmet. I've gotten both of mine at an HD shop.

aznsap
February 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
i recommend wearing earplugs for anything that could be loud. that includes riding a motorcycle, or even mowing your yard.

noise induced hearing loss doesn't show up until later in life, and by then it's too late.

conchwanab
February 26th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I work in a wood shop and I always wear hearing protection for the saws and the nail
guns but I've never tried earplugs while riding.

CC Cowboy
February 26th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Ear plugs, love em, love em, love em!

Alex
April 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
:bump:

SteveL
April 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I don’t use ear plugs on my commute it’s only 20 minutes and the maximum speed limit is 50 mph. For riding at 70 plus mph ear plugs are a must I have a BMW system 5 helmet which they claim has a noise level of 80dB at 60 mph and this is one of the better ones. To expose your self to 80 to 100dB of noise for a prolonged period is seriously going to damage your hearing. The message is simple get plugs.

Steve

sometimesido
April 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM
wow, did not know about the wind causing the hearing loss.
I guess time to get some plugs.

miks
April 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I found this link quite helpful.
Wind noise and hearing loss (http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml)

A couple of statements caught my eye,
""wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw"

"Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB "

SpyderGirl
April 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM
My pipe on both the Ninja and the Spyder are quite loud. On short rides (less than one hour) I don't usually bother, especially if I am riding with the hubby and we talk through our bluetooth headsets. On longer rides I like to wear at least one (ear opposite my intercom) and if I am alone, both. My Shoei is a great helmet though and keeps a lot of excess noise out.

SpyderGirl
April 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Oops, didn't see this. Neck Muffler

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/neck-warmer/

Somewhat like that but the ones I have are made out of fleece so it's a lot bulkier than the one on that page so it blocks up the open bottom part of the helmet. I've gotten both of mine at an HD shop.

Oh, I have one of those. I love it. I didn't know they called it that. :D

Sound Wave
April 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
i use the ear plugs if i plan on riding over 45 mph. otherwise, if i am putting around the city, i don't use them.

a few times i forgot to put them in and rode on the freeway... boy my ears were sore from all the wind noise. supposedly my shoei x-11 is one of the quieter helmets too.

Obsidian
June 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I do because of all of the interstate riding I do and I want to save my ears. Plus it is just so much nicer and pleasant.

rage42
June 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'm a fan of the in ear headphones, they really deaden the sound, and can hear the music from my ipod at a relatively low volume. I'm not sure was db is coming through though, but it made highway travel much more comfortable, and the music on a long ride always helps.

b_eastep
June 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
i tried them when i put two bro pipes on my Z1000 because their loud even at idle. now i wear them no matter what i ride or how far.

Nny
June 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I wear mine if I know I will be going over 45mph. Even then I carry them with me in case if "honey, I am just going around the block" turns out to "sorry dear, it wasn't my intention to be out that long".

Bought a bundle pack from target. I stick them in far enough to block the wind but not far enough to block stop light conversation. It is a happy medium and my ears don't ring anymore from a good ride.

shift_6
June 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
ear plugs all the time when i ride. you will go deaf over time with the wind noise your helmet produces. its at a low frequency (decibel?) that it won't annoy you like loud noises, but its enough to make you lose your hearing. besides, you can still hear car horns and such with em on.

cwb48
June 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I ride with earplugs all the time- they're in my pocket.

Chris

NJD022588
June 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
ear plugs all the time when i ride. you will go deaf over time with the wind noise your helmet produces. its at a low frequency (decibel?) that it won't annoy you like loud noises, but its enough to make you lose your hearing. besides, you can still hear car horns and such with em on.

Close.. low decibel, high frequency. :thumbup:

Snake
June 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
My helmet used to be effective at blocking wind noise but now it doesn't so I guess I will have to start waering ear plugs.

rockNroll
June 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
For the commute to work, through the city, I don't wear them. When I'm "out riding" I do. Put some miles on a bike without wearing ear plugs and you will feel more tired and fatigued at the end of the day than if you had worn the ear plugs.

lockie
June 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ear damage and hearing loss can be more common the more you expose your ears to high levels of sound.... and it doesn't have to be that loud. I worked in radio for years. Took a couple of audio courses where they showed long exposure to normal studio sound levels and headphone level can cause hearing loss. Any time we went out to record at concerts or other loud environments we would wear plugs.

Bike noises, including wind noises, have the potential.

zail
June 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I've got these:

http://www.audiorelief.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=122

They work well and still allow me to hear the neccessary sounds...

I've got tinnitus at the moment which is annoying, not sure if this is the result of an ear infection or my misbehaving thyroid - either way I'm hoping it's only transitory - it has been in the past... Currently I can only hear the 16khz tone on the website but can usually hear to about 20 - I am the person that can hear the annoying tone no one else can!

This site is good for looking at your hearing response curve which is interesting...

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

CC Cowboy
June 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
I love using ear plugs. I think I can hear the engine sing to me better with them in.

minuslars
July 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
I find that I dislike earplugs, even if they are better for me...

1. I like to keep my eyes on the road and shift by ear. Depending on wind conditions and speed, I lose the engine sound with earplugs in (and then all I hear is wind anyways), meaning I have to check the tach a lot more often, taking away from my focus on the road.

2. Years of playing drums in a band hasn't left me with the best hearing anyways

3. I have been driving with the windows down my entire life

4 . I have bad hearing by genetic disposition.

So, in summary, I'm already deaf, and it doesn't matter for meeeee. Granted, I've only tried earplugs once, so maybe I'll do it again and then see how it goes...

noche_caliente
July 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
well Arthur, not wearing them is a great way to get yourself even more deaf... I'd keep trying them until you find something that works... somewhere in this thread is a link to a variety pack - you should check it out

sprale
August 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I rarely ride without them, though my canals are very narrow. Using the standard foam plugs is almost impossible, they just don't compress enough. I usually use the washable molded type for contractors, I just cut off the cords.

I also use Koss Sparkplugs when I ride away from the heavy traffic and want to enjoy some music. They block enough road noise to be helpful, plus I can enjoy some tunes.

adouglas
August 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm 50.

I'm a musician (I play bass in a kickass motown/funk/soul/old-school R&B band).

I'm a private pilot.

I'm a shooter.

I've been exposed to a lot of noise in my life and I have tinnitus.

You don't want tinnitus.

Yer darned right I use earplugs!!!!

noche_caliente
August 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Levon, I use the child-sized foam plugs and they work great - you might give those a try ;)

andrewexd
August 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use my v moda earbuds and some low volume music - which I know is illegal in Cali but whatever.

emt250
August 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I bought some earplugs after my first ride on the freeway. It was just too loud, and I found myself thinking about the noise instead of concentrating on everything around me. But with the plugs its fairly quiet and more comfortable. I wont use em just for putting around town or staying under 50mph, but If i know im going to be hitting the freeway, highway or just speeding i'll put them on.

Finder
August 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I never ride without hearing protection, whether from generic foam earplugs or my Etymotic ER6i isolating earphones. I've spoken (ie. yelled) to too many long time riders around here to know that hearing loss can be a major problem for our 'sport'. Protect your senses! You only have 6. :D

kobachi
March 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to chime in with some experience. I used to live above a glass dumpster that got emptied three days a week at 6am, and so I started sleeping with earplugs. I've also spent a lot of time on airplanes. I've tried literally dozens of kinds of earplugs over the years, and HEAROS "Ultimate Softness" (http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-02525.html) plugs are by far the most comfortable I have ever used. I use them every night when I sleep, I use them on every ride longer than 5 mins, and I sometimes even use them when taking exams. I've found that they last a long time; I can use one pair for 20-30 wearings before they go flabby, and they don't chafe my ear canals like, for example, the cheap yellow E-A-R kind. Highly recommended.

littledog
March 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Stock Ninja is very quiet, but wind noise over 45mph or so is painful to me. Perhaps my helmet sucks. Yes I wear earplugs, except sometimes for commuting to work (which is 45 and under). I got the bulk pack at Home Depot. They are not very good.

Thanks, Kobachi, I will check into the ones you suggest

CC Cowboy
March 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I like ear plugs.

drstimpy
March 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
EPATT
need to hear everything at work. I have some custom solid plugs I got from a motorcycle show and I use them on the bike and in a plane and when I listen to a band. I have a Camos bluetooth system that I can hear fine in the helmet at speed for phone, intercom, and music as needed.

Cedilla
March 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
^^^Those HEAROS are the only plugs I ever use. I tried some different hearos once, they were blue, and they were painful after an hour of use, so I stick with the tan ones.

I went without earplugs all winter, because I was not riding much, then I got a new pack a couple of weeks ago. It messed up my whole sensation of speed, I took off down the road after I got them, and I thought I was only going about 45 (speed limit was 40), after I scraped my pegs on the ground a few times I thought something was weird, so I looked at my speedo mid turn, and it was reading a solid 90mph.:o I totally remembered that I ride much much faster when wearing earplugs, because it feels like I am going slower.

miks
March 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I use in-ear headphones, but only sometimes play music through them, most of the time they're just in there to block on the exhaust/wind noise. I sometimes don't bother if I'm going for a <5min ride.

Zombiphone
March 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I actually had some custom earplugs made earlier today (Turns out there was an E.A.R. Inc provider just 60 miles from home). Just $55 and supposedly they'll last a couple years, being custom molded to my ears, they're incredibly comfortable, and I won't be able to use the too lazy to pick up more plugs excuse and just go without (which I've been doing way too often recently).

Otherwise, it seems somewhat ironic that I coat myself in hundreds of dollars of protective gear from head to toe to protect myself when something goes wrong, but I hardly worried about protecting the one thing that's being damaged constantly as long as things are going right.

I went on a long ride with them today, and it feels much better then the cheap CVS foam plugs I used occasionally before, and the drastic reduction in wind noise is heaven. Although, yeah, I definitely ride notably faster wearing earplugs right now :o The world seems so slower when you don't hear it yelling at you so loudly. I approve ^_^

clegg
March 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I am new to riding (Just about 2 weeks now), and picked up a 24 pack of ear plug for a 80 mile ride I went on yesterday... So much better. I am 32 and can still hear (on the link earlier in the thread) the sounds down to the 18 year old level, so I am still keen on keeping my ears in good shape. I found the earplugs (just cheapie purple foam ones), were super comfortable, and kept me much more relaxed on the bike. Just one of the items I consider part of my ATGATT routine.

ninja250
March 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Stopped wearing them after buying my new helmet. Seems like I can hear much better with it than my last one so I just don't use them anymore.

CC Cowboy
March 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
EPATT
need to hear everything at work. I have some custom solid plugs I got from a motorcycle show and I use them on the bike and in a plane and when I listen to a band. I have a Camos bluetooth system that I can hear fine in the helmet at speed for phone, intercom, and music as needed.

John, I have a few goods friends from Wareham. You ever dirt bike in Miles Standish? I love it down there.

eddiekay
March 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I haven't used plugs on 42 years riding. I'm 60.
Checked with audiologist...have 22% loss in 1 ear, 28% loss in the other.
Top of the line hearing aid is $3200 (oh, yeah, batteries are free for the life of the device,estimated at 3-5 years)
So, i took the money I would've spent on the hearing aid, bought a ninjette and spent 99 cents on 6 lil' green plugs ( look a lot like kawa green)
ON an all day ride at speed, they make a big difference...wish I would've got smart years ago. Can't say for sure i ruined my hearing with wind noise but the roar didn't help.

Cedilla
March 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
did you try testing your hearing using this yet? http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

I just tried this, and I can barely hear the 16khz 30 and younger one. All at the ripe old age of 20. sigh, I think I'm going to be deaf and blind by the time I get old, with crippling joint pain. :wheelchair:

Edit, I got my mom and my brother to do it. My brother can hear the middle 24 one, and my mom can only hear the top 2. :horn:

miks
March 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I just tried this, and I can barely hear the 16khz 30 and younger one. All at the ripe old age of 20. sigh, I think I'm going to be deaf and blind by the time I get old, with crippling joint pain. :wheelchair:

Edit, I got my mom and my brother to do it. My brother can hear the middle 24 one, and my mom can only hear the top 2. :horn:

Just tried it too, I can hear the 20khz one which is 18 and younger, I'm 18 :D

Seattle_Chris
March 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
That's a cool link. I can hear the 39 and under, not the 30 and under, and I'm 36. So I don't feel TOO bad. :)

I've never wore earplugs but I'm going to start on long trips. One of the first things I got for my bike was the touring wind screen. So at 60mph or less, it's seriously QUITE. But over 65 it starts getting loud, and by 80 I can totally see how it would cause hearing loss.

My daily commute is 65mph for like 5 minutes, and all the rest is stop and go with a max of 50mph so theres no need for it. But on my last road trip I would really have loved some.

On a slight side note, the high windshield is amazing. Fully upright, quite, un-buffeting riding up to the 60's. HUGE improvement on Buffeting and noise over stock. And I at least don't think it looks overly dorky. But then I'm more into touring bikes than super sports, so I may be a bit biased toward the look.

Cedilla
March 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I just turned an old chapstick tube into an earplug container. I pried the bottom adjuster wheel thingy off, pulled the screw stick thingy out, and cleaned it up real good. I shoved two of the tan HEAROS plugs in there, and it was a perfect fit. I could not get them out at first, but when you remove the bottom part, it leaves a small hole in the bottom, and to remove them, I just blow into the bottom on the tube, and they just shoot out.:)

So if anyone needs something to keep a pair of earplugs in, and they have an old chapstick container laying around, its worth a try to see if they fit.

kkim
May 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM

ztrack157
May 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I don't my helmet is whisper quiet.

kkim
May 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Can you hear all of these? :D

ztrack157
May 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
19hz which is right in my proper age group. Not bad considering I work on airplanes a lot.

alex.s
May 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Ugh. i wear earplugs most of the time and i can only hear up to 15khz! i'm not 40 yet! -_-
guess i better start wearing them _ALL_ the time! ...even when i'm not on the bike!

LegB4Wicket
May 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I use earplugs about 90 per cent of the time and always when I'm travelling on highways or going above city speeds.

Use Laser Lite, made by Howard Leight. Cost me 15 cents per pair at a local safety equipment store. Buy them by the dozens and ony wear them for one or two days max.

http://www.survivair.com/Products/Howard_Leight/Hearing_Protection/Laser_Lite_Single-Use_Earplug.aspx?site=/americas

Huge reduction in noise and I feel far more comfortable on the bike. Well worth the minimal investment.

JeffM
May 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Otherwise, it seems somewhat ironic that I coat myself in hundreds of dollars of protective gear from head to toe to protect myself when something goes wrong, but I hardly worried about protecting the one thing that's being damaged constantly as long as things are going right.

Precisely

Guinss
May 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I use earplugs all the time. Tried some of the "1-time use" kind, 2 years ago, that you shape with your fingers and place. I cant go anywhere without them now. There is alot of windnoise as soon as i pass 60 km/t, and without earplugs you simply got no chance of hearing the engine, traffic etc. I use 2-3 bags in one season, very cheap, much value for the money.

These in-ear music plugs are not as good, they give me music, but they tend to hurt after a while if their not placed 100% correct.

tjkamper
May 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I use plugs to limit wind noise.

QuarterBoreNinja
May 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I've always worn ear plugs. Some of my helmets are quieter than others but no matter what, I've got plugs in. Knocking out the wind noise not only protects your hearing but it lets you hear the machine much better and atleast for me, my riding is more precise when I can hear the machine's music...

Xoulrath
May 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I always wear ear plugs. Every helmet I reviewed on webbikeworld.com mentioned always properly using earplugs with all of their tests and that was all I needed to be convinced. I have been near-blind since I was young, and require contacts/glasses to do anything really, so I have always been protective of the senses that do work right.

Oh, and I can hear all but the very last sound, the 22kHz one. I'm 33, and I work for a school district and directly with the kids. Hope they can all hear that last one for their texts! LOL!

Méké
May 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
All the time for me and when l forgot them :eek:

Soujyu
May 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have to.

Doing 75mph in the Texas Hill Country with 20 mph crosswinds is impossible without earplugs.

Just one warning: one time I ended up reusing a set of earplugs about 30 times. After the 28th time or so, the earplugs refuse to muffle any noise. Just replace them once in a while. :)

Flow
May 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I don't really need to on the 250R. I'm already hard of hearing; genetic condition. On the YZ125 however, the sound of the engine scares me if I don't have earplugs in. The aftermarket exhaust makes it sound like it's going to rip my guts out. :pout:

Derned two-strokes.

Alex
May 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
It's not the engine noise though, it's the constant windnoise that causes the long-term damage. Loud bike or quiet bike, if you're riding at highway speeds for any distance, the wind noise is well into dangerous levels on even the "quietest" helmets.

Flow
May 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
It's not the engine noise though, it's the constant windnoise that causes the long-term damage. Loud bike or quiet bike, if you're riding at highway speeds for any distance, the wind noise is well into dangerous levels on even the "quietest" helmets.

Oh, I know. Wind noise doesn't bother me on the 250R. I was saying the engine noise on the YZ125 scared me without earplugs, negatively affecting my confidence.

Alex
May 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM

sombo
May 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM
The ONLY time I don't wear earplugs are the extremely few times I'm going like a mile or so at less then 45mph. But 99.9% I have earplugs in cause I'm usually taking a highway of some sort and going around 70+mph for several miles. Learned the hard way early on that it hurts to commute to and from work w/o them in. Of course working in an aircraft hanger there's a foam earplug dispenser they keep full. So I just use those (hey they're free :P) and replace every couple of weeks when it feels like they are getting weak.

beowuff
May 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I can't even SIT on my bike without ear plugs. Makes me too uncomfortable... I've just gotten use to them.

Kipawa
May 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hey, tried the foam ear plugs on my get away from the family early Saturday monring before I get in trouble for not doing what I should be doing bike ride and yes they made a huge difference. Absolutely can still hear all you need to bike wise with repsect to the revs and engine. But, wow, definitely less wind noise and so much easier to concentrate. Defnitely rode more smoothly and definitely faster! The only thing that was louder was that damn guy in my head, glad to hear others have him too!

Going to try my ipod on tomorrrow mornings you know ride for comparision.

Thanks for the great advice!

LazinCajun
May 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hey, tried the foam ear plugs on my get away from the family early Saturday monring before I get in trouble for not doing what I should be doing

At first I read this as -- "I tried the foam earplugs TO get away from my family" :rotflmao:

Kipawa
May 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Was I supposed to take them out when I got home?

pedaltothemetal
June 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM

I can hear up to 15khz
39 & Younger! :thumbup:
That's good for me!

Troobs
June 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
i work in the Air Force, on Harriers, and at full whack them things are pretty loud, i always wear ear defenders and earplugs, decided to half-inch a box of plugs and after trying them first time i use them all the time, i wouldnt ever buy any but because i got these free i think they are great, no noticeable wind noise, just engine sound which is great in twisties, on long rides i listen to my iPod and my ears always ring a bit when i get off, but it makes them easier to live with :/

Seattle_Chris
June 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
So what I'm wondering, is if anyone has seen any earplug-phones. Like earphones, that also work as ear plugs. Not noise cancelling becouse that just injects MORE noise in to cancell out the other noise. I'm pretty sure that does just as much damage.

Like maybe earphones with big poofy earplug type things with a tube in the middle or something.

beowuff
June 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
You can get custom fit ear plugs that have a speaker in them for music/phones. I've seen them at the Cycle World Trade Show in Seattle.

Seattle_Chris
June 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Anyone ever try YurBuds? I started searching after Beowuff said they were made, and they cost insane amounts. But Yurbuds seems reasonable. Just not sure about their noise isolation.

kkim
January 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM

setasai
January 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
So what I'm wondering, is if anyone has seen any earplug-phones. Like earphones, that also work as ear plugs. Not noise cancelling becouse that just injects MORE noise in to cancell out the other noise. I'm pretty sure that does just as much damage.

Like maybe earphones with big poofy earplug type things with a tube in the middle or something.

Are you describing something like Etymotics ER-6's?
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/images/er6i-side.jpg
I've used them before and they isolate similar to my foam earplugs so i'd say close to 20-30db. Not backed by anything scientific. Just my own opinion. I should mention that if my ipod had 30notches of volume, I put it at 5-8ish and I wont be able to hear anything but music.

MiniCog
March 9th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I harldy ever wear ear plugs, I just hate not hearing everything around me as well.
I used to use the gel/clay ones, but they're not as quiet as the ones I normally use and they fall out too easily...

I use these ones when I chose to wear plugs because they don't fall out easily and we have leftovers from when we sold the machine shop:
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/quiet
They also have these, which will be my next order: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/pilot

The "quiet" ear plugs reduce noise by 26 or 27 decibels, and that's a lot.

MiniCog
March 9th, 2011, 05:10 PM

I'm about to turn 17, and I can BARELY hear 21 khz and I work in a machine shop (for 8-9 years now. :D ) I'm sure my dad can hear the 60 year old one, but no lower. He's been working in a shop since he was... 15 I think. That's nearly 32 years of "BARuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! SQUEEEEAKKK!!!!!! BARUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMM!!! SQUEAKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm sure my hearing used to be a LOT BETTER. But when I can hear something, I have really sensitive hearing. :thumbup:

gfloyd2002
March 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm wearing earplugs for the first time on my ninjette after riding for a number of years on other bikes without. The difference in my riding is marked. Noise is stressful, and I ride more relaxed. I was really surprised at how much more enjoyable riding is with the earplugs. Here is a study on it if you are interested: Noise Induced Stress. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WM3-4CYR1FC-3&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F22%2F2004&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=gateway&_origin=gateway&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1672390927&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=a7d10a8fa37fdcd3aca30d46a5d4b687&searchtype=a) My previous fears of not hearing the road, other traffic, emergency vehicles were without basis - you hear them fine - better with earplugs than you do inside a car without earplugs. The plugs just take the edge off the wind/traffic/exhaust noise.

More importantly, and scientific fact, your hearing is at risk of damage above 85dbs. That is where most of our riding is. Check out this great resource talking about noise-induced hearing loss: House Ear Institute (http://www.hei.org/education/soundpartners/nihl.html). The Institute recommends plugs for activities above 85dbs with prolonged, repeated or cumulative exposure. Good enough for me.

I use the Moldex PuraFit 6800 (http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-Pura-fit-Ear-Plugs-Cords/dp/B0015TBGR6) disposable. Dead cheap at $20 for a box of 200, and they get good reviews (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/disposable-ear-plugs.htm). And they are way cheaper than hearing aids.

kkim
March 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Floyd,

I love it when someone actually tries something before making a judgment call on preconceived perceptions.

Kudos to you for taking the steps to save your hearing. Again, it's the high frequency wind noise that will kill the ear's ability to hear high freq tones that wearing earplugs guard against.

setasai
March 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I've been trying to get my rider buddies to use earplugs and they're being stubborn. The other night, my right earplug came loose and all of the sudden I wasnt sure what was going on because all that noise was distracting.

I'm currently using the disposable foam ones. How often should I be replacing them? I toss them out every week or so but sometimes when the foam is warm, it's so hard to get them squished enough to go into my ears all the way. Foam gets too soft. I wonder if I'd have more consistent luck with custom silicone ones from RiteAid.

Alex
March 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I use new ones for each ride. They are 10 cents a pair, I'm doing many times that in fuel and tire wear, the cost of them rounds down to zero.

zilaniz
March 9th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm ganna have to start wearing ear plugs...always kinda seemed like it wouldn't be the best idea when I first heard about wearing ear plugs while riding....but I definitely see the point to it now.

I do however wear them when I weedwack cause that thing can be insanely loud sometimes.

setasai
March 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I use new ones for each ride. They are 10 cents a pair, I'm doing many times that in fuel and tire wear, the cost of them rounds down to zero.

Except I commute to school pretty much every day so that'd be like 30 pairs month. How big of a box did you get and where?

MiniCog
March 9th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Floyd,

I love it when someone actually tries something before making a judgment call on preconceived perceptions.

Kudos to you for taking the steps to save your hearing. Again, it's the high frequency wind noise that will kill the ear's ability to hear high freq tones that wearing earplugs guard against.

Agreed. I tried it but don't really like it. If the wind gets annoying enough, I have at-least 20 pairs stuffed in a pocket of my tank bag. :thumbup:
I'm not judging anyone FOR wearing them or NOT wearing them. Different strokes for different folks. I happen to be a folk who doesn't really care for ear plugs all that much. And I have my reasons.

Another reason why I won't wear ear plugs in a machine shop - communication and listening. I know, people are going to rag on me for saying this, but although the BOX says that you can still hear people with them in your ears... You really can't. And you can't hear an endmill or a drill or a tap going dull. I tried wearing them, an endmill got dull on the final set up for some fork braces, broke the $100 end mill and ruined the $120 part just because I did not hear all the sounds the endmill was making.
I was riding with ear plugs in, couldn't hear a sound my engine was making while I was riding. Took them out at a gas station, heard it, pulled over, there was a piece of a plastic bag in my chain. That could have turned out really bad.

Simply put, I have had bad experiences with ear plugs, and my helmet is quiet enough that I don't need them as bad as others. I've tried some other helmets out and they were much louder than mine.

That's my :2cents:.

MiniCog
March 9th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm about to turn 17, and I can BARELY hear 21 khz and I work in a machine shop (for 8-9 years now. :D )

I'm sure my hearing used to be a LOT BETTER. But when I can hear something, I have really sensitive hearing. :thumbup:

I figured it out... I can hear all of them. I got on a different computer and heard them all. :thumbup:

setasai
March 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Have you tried ER-20's? They're balanced so that everything is just quieter but not muffled. They also dont have a very high db rating. 12db approximately I believe.

kkim
March 9th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Agreed. I tried it but don't really like it. If the wind gets annoying enough, I have at-least 20 pairs stuffed in a pocket of my tank bag. :thumbup:
I'm not judging anyone FOR wearing them or NOT wearing them. Different strokes for different folks. I happen to be a folk who doesn't really care for ear plugs all that much. And I have my reasons.

Another reason why I won't wear ear plugs in a machine shop - communication and listening. I know, people are going to rag on me for saying this, but although the BOX says that you can still hear people with them in your ears... You really can't. And you can't hear an endmill or a drill or a tap going dull. I tried wearing them, an endmill got dull on the final set up for some fork braces, broke the $100 end mill and ruined the $120 part just because I did not hear all the sounds the endmill was making.
I was riding with ear plugs in, couldn't hear a sound my engine was making while I was riding. Took them out at a gas station, heard it, pulled over, there was a piece of a plastic bag in my chain. That could have turned out really bad.

Simply put, I have had bad experiences with ear plugs, and my helmet is quiet enough that I don't need them as bad as others. I've tried some other helmets out and they were much louder than mine.

That's my :2cents:.

do what you want... it's your ears. just be aware that people who didn't use earplugs years ago in industrial environments are the ones, today, with hearing problems.

Hearing loss is something that gradually happens. By the time you realize your affected, it's too late. Riding without earplugs during sustained riding WILL affect your hearing.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you. My post was to warn riders who really weren't aware of hearing loss due to riding w/o earplugs that their hearing is being affected.

MiniCog
March 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM
do what you want... it's your ears. just be aware that people who didn't use earplugs years ago in industrial environments are the ones, today, with hearing problems.

Hearing loss is something that gradually happens. By the time you realize your affected, it's too late. Riding without earplugs during sustained riding WILL affect your hearing.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you. My post was to warn riders who really weren't aware of hearing loss due to riding w/o earplugs that their hearing is being affected.

Oh no, I'm not arguing that fact, I know it will eventually happen if I don't quit my habit. I like that you said facts about hearing loss and all of that kind of stuff. I like it when people do these things. I just won't be working in a machine shop my whole life. I should be done machining by the time I'm 24 or so. And I've heard the old: "industrial workers...hearing...bad...wear earplugs............." a thousand times by everyone and their moms. I actually do the stuff and run the machines, I know what will eventually happen and so does everyone else in the shop, but I simply will not wear them at work. Should I wear ear plugs at work? Probably. Do I? No, and it's my decision and I hope that other's will make the right choice and wear ear plugs riding motorcycles, working in machine shops, wherever.
Hearing WILL go away if people don't take care of their ears, and everyone should protect their ears. I have ear plugs or muffs when I shoot guns. I just don't while riding because my helmet is pretty quiet as is, but for long trips I'll slap some on if the wind is too annoying. But if I had some that weren't so baffling, I'd wear them more often.

I didn't/don't mean to cause a disagreement or anything (If one occurred), I was explaining some reasons I don't normally wear ear plugs. I didn't explain myself well enough. I saw "ear plugs... why or why not?" (or something along those lines) in the initial post. So, I should have said: "I don't wear ear plugs. This is why I don't wear ear plugs when I ride." before anything else.

Have you tried ER-20's? They're balanced so that everything is just quieter but not muffled. They also dont have a very high db rating. 12db approximately I believe.

Where do you get those?

I hate the ones I occasionally use because they're 27db rated, and that's way too quiet for me.
(I'm open to trying these out since 12 db ain't too much.)

kkim
March 10th, 2011, 12:58 AM
MC,

I'm not saying you "have" to listen to the message... like I said, do what you want. As long as you're making an informed decision, it's not my ears that will suffer.

lol... you're me, 30-40 yrs ago. :D

I wish some crusty, old fart had tried to tell me that my hearing would suffer due to constant exhaust fan noise from the equipment in the radar tower I was assigned to, but back then, no one in the shop wore ear plugs, let alone had studies that showed we would lose our hearing from the constant, high pitched whistling fans. Even if someone did, I wouldn't have listened, cause my hearing was perfect back then. Today, I suffer from high frequency hearing loss. I now know what caused it and even if I don't have much to protect anymore, I wear earplugs when I ride to protect what it is I have left. If only I had listened to people earlier.... but I didn't, so here I am, trying to prevent others from hearing loss due to wind noise from helmets.

I understand that we can disagree and still be civil... that's what makes this site so special. You have read what others have said in this thread and the choice is yours on how to use that information... earplugs or no earplugs. My hope is that others who read this thread will gain something from my plight and learn from mistakes I've made. :)

gfloyd2002
March 10th, 2011, 03:15 AM

Your affected? :p Refer to: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=185019&postcount=1 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49016). (Oh, crap, now KKim is going to go through my posts for typos and grammar.)

Completely agree with post though, and encourage MiniCog to try those 12db plugs.

Alex
March 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
How big of a box did you get and where?

Box of 200 at a time, from places like this (http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foam-earplugs-large-quantities.html). About $20 - $25 per box, depending on the particular type. A friend of mine swears that he can get more use out of foam earplugs by putting them through the dishwasher after they feel like they are getting a little old, haven't tried it myself.

MiniCog
March 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
MC,

I'm not saying you "have" to listen to the message... like I said, do what you want. As long as you're making an informed decision, it's not my ears that will suffer.

lol... you're me, 30-40 yrs ago. :D

I wish some crusty, old fart had tried to tell me that my hearing would suffer due to constant exhaust fan noise from the equipment in the radar tower I was assigned to, but back then, no one in the shop wore ear plugs, let alone had studies that showed we would lose our hearing from the constant, high pitched whistling fans. Even if someone did, I wouldn't have listened, cause my hearing was perfect back then. Today, I suffer from high frequency hearing loss. I now know what caused it and even if I don't have much to protect anymore, I wear earplugs when I ride to protect what it is I have left. If only I had listened to people earlier.... but I didn't, so here I am, trying to prevent others from hearing loss due to wind noise from helmets.

I understand that we can disagree and still be civil... that's what makes this site so special. You have read what others have said in this thread and the choice is yours on how to use that information... earplugs or no earplugs. My hope is that others who read this thread will gain something from my plight and learn from mistakes I've made. :)

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have to pay for my sucky decisions later on, but at least I'm edumacated. :D
No one in this shop wears ear plugs, ether. I'm the youngest there and there's a couple of guys in their 20's, a few in their 30's, and everyone else is around 45-65. No one wears ear plugs, and all of the old guys are hard of hearing in the shop. It's weird though, if it's not in the shop, they can hear just fine, about as well as anyone else their age.
I have a theory to why they can hear: we have 2 breaks in the 10 hour work day (4 day week. :thumbup:), we have to go to the back for material a lot and/or saw it up, when material comes in, someone has to get on a fork lift and put it where it goes and sign a bazillion papers, and we are all guys that mess around (maybe a little too much) so we're not always 2' from the machine we're working at. And the walls absorb the vibrations and we keep the garage/walk through doors open (except in the winter). It's actually quieter than the shop I used to work in, substantially.
I know what you mean by "civil," there's a lot of people who would have been like: "Hey you @$$#3@&!!! @#%@#$in listen to me you little %$&^!!!" but no one seems to do that here. :thumbup:
I actually hope that I'm the only one that doesn't wear ear plugs on here, I know it's bad for anyone. My ears aren't invincible, they ring if I work a good 12 hour day or ride for 5 days with no ear plugs. And it sucks. So I wear them on the way to a place to ride.
I think I'm going to need some when I change my exhaust though. I mean, it will be substantially louder.
WEAR EAR PLUGS!!!

MiniCog
March 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Box of 200 at a time, from places like this (http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foam-earplugs-large-quantities.html). About $20 - $25 per box, depending on the particular type. A friend of mine swears that he can get more use out of foam earplugs by putting them through the dishwasher after they feel like they are getting a little old, haven't tried it myself.

These kinds of places are good too... http://www.uline.com/grp_227_ear_plugs/?keywords=ear+plugs

setasai
March 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Where do you get those?

I hate the ones I occasionally use because they're 27db rated, and that's way too quiet for me.
(I'm open to trying these out since 12 db ain't too much.)

I usually buy them off amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WNZ9K

If you have particularly small ears they have the baby blue ones. I love them at concerts, on the train, in airplanes because they're just enough that i feel like i'm in a quiet room but loud enough that if someone talks to me i dont need their mouth up against my ear. Give them a try.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html
More information.

setasai
March 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM

These kinds of places are good too... http://www.uline.com/grp_227_ear_plugs/?keywords=ear+plugs

Hmm i'll have to check them out after i finish off the CVS branded ones. I'm also considering some custom silicone molded earplugs from RiteAid. They're only $8 and at 27db rated, could be neat.

SSR
March 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM
If I'm just buzzing around the city or heading out for an hour, I don't put any earplugs in. If I'm going out for longer than an hour, yes, definitely. I find around 1 1/2 hours the constant drone of the engine gets to me and really starts making my ride not pleasant.

JeffM
March 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Every time I ride. Part of AGATT to me.

Every once in a while, I forget to pop in my earplugs and end up stopping 1/2 block down the road and remove gloves, glasses, and helmet, to put them in -it is worth it to me.

In the future, I want to be able to hear and understand my grandchildren. My father worked in a machine shop and lost his hearing. He couldn't hear crap and had difficulty understanding us when we spoke to him. I could tell he hated not being able to hear. Hearing aids helped but he hated those too. I do not want to repeat his mistake.

Another example of how profound hearing loss can affect your life: I knew of an old-school cop that didn't use hearing protection. One day at the practice range he pretty much lost his hearing for good. All it took was a few more rounds to put the final nail in his auditory coffin. It cost him his career.

I just won't be working in a machine shop my whole life. I should be done machining by the time I'm 24 or so.

So, MiniCog, I'm going to throw a little tough love at you ;): At 24, will having hearing loss affect your ability to interview for a new career or hold one down?

Make your own choices.:soapbox: rant over.

Jeff

MiniCog
March 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Ha, no... The guys that have be en in machine shops for over 30 years are still hearing just fine under normal circumstances. :)

After 8 years (YES, I worked when I was 8, my dad is cool like that :D) of working in a shop, I can still hear things most people can't. It didn't affect my interview at Sonic last year (quit that job after 8 months, 1 job is enough for me).

gfloyd2002
March 17th, 2011, 04:10 AM
lol, you are one stubborn guy. Should serve you well in life to have that much conviction. Its a dumb move not to wear earplugs when you ride, but its your call and I respect your ability to fend off the hordes of old people telling you what to do, even when they are right. :p I just want to be sure that others reading this post check out the studies on hearing loss when making a decision based upon fact and science, and concern for their future. In addition to the House Ear Institute (http://www.hei.org/education/soundpartners/nihl.html) warning I'd posted earlier, here are some additional links I hope people will review before deciding not to wear earplugs:

Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine study on effects of motorcycle riding on hearing loss (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539364/).
Dr. Mike Coley, Otologist and Motorcyclist, recommending wearing ear plugs while riding (http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/safety/earplugs.shtml).
University of Minnesota Medical Center says riding without plugs can easily cause hearing loss (http://www.uofmmedicalcenter.org/healthlibrary/content/aha_noishear_crs.htm).
Facts about Motorcycle Hearing Loss (http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml).
British Journal on Sports Medicine study on hearing loss for grand prix riders, recommending ear plugs (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1332155/)

The Royal Society study is particularly good and a must read. Here is a summary of the results:

* There is excessive wind noise around the helmet—about 90 dB(A) at 60 km/h and increasing linearly when plotted against the log of speed, to reach 110 dB(A) at 160 km/h.
* This level is well documented to cause damage.
* Modern helmets offered very poor low-frequency sound attenuation.
* Motorcyclists experienced hearing loss as a result of their noise exposure.
* There is an effect after only 1 hour of high-speed riding and a corresponding subjective complaint of tinnitus. After long periods at high speed, riders commonly report other non-specific complaints such as fatigue, headache and even disequilibrium.
* Earplugs proved effective in preventing damage.
* Earplugs were relatively safe in terms of signal detection while riding.
* Earplugs improved general wellbeing after riding.

If you've got access to a research library and are interested in this type of thing, there are a series of scholarly articles cited by the Royal Society study. Of most interest is a guy named McCombe out of the Department of Otolaryngology at Plymouth General Hospital who has done a half dozen studies on this. What does he recommend? "There is a need to raise awareness to this problem and increase the use of earplugs."

singlecoillover
March 17th, 2011, 05:52 AM
lol, you are one stubborn guy. Should serve you well in life to have that much conviction. Its a dumb move not to wear earplugs when you ride, but its your call and I respect your ability to fend off the hordes of old people telling you what to do, even when they are right. :p I just want to be sure that others reading this post check out the studies on hearing loss when making a decision based upon fact and science, and concern for their future. In addition to the House Ear Institute (http://www.hei.org/education/soundpartners/nihl.html) warning I'd posted earlier, here are some additional links I hope people will review before deciding not to wear earplugs:

Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine study on effects of motorcycle riding on hearing loss (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539364/).
Dr. Mike Coley, Otologist and Motorcyclist, recommending wearing ear plugs while riding (http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/safety/earplugs.shtml).
University of Minnesota Medical Center says riding without plugs can easily cause hearing loss (http://www.uofmmedicalcenter.org/healthlibrary/content/aha_noishear_crs.htm).
Facts about Motorcycle Hearing Loss (http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml).
British Journal on Sports Medicine study on hearing loss for grand prix riders, recommending ear plugs (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1332155/)

The Royal Society study is particularly good and a must read. Here is a summary of the results:

* There is excessive wind noise around the helmet—about 90 dB(A) at 60 km/h and increasing linearly when plotted against the log of speed, to reach 110 dB(A) at 160 km/h.
* This level is well documented to cause damage.
* Modern helmets offered very poor low-frequency sound attenuation.
* Motorcyclists experienced hearing loss as a result of their noise exposure.
* There is an effect after only 1 hour of high-speed riding and a corresponding subjective complaint of tinnitus. After long periods at high speed, riders commonly report other non-specific complaints such as fatigue, headache and even disequilibrium.
* Earplugs proved effective in preventing damage.
* Earplugs were relatively safe in terms of signal detection while riding.
* Earplugs improved general wellbeing after riding.

If you've got access to a research library and are interested in this type of thing, there are a series of scholarly articles cited by the Royal Society study. Of most interest is a guy named McCombe out of the Department of Otolaryngology at Plymouth General Hospital who has done a half dozen studies on this. What does he recommend? "There is a need to raise awareness to this problem and increase the use of earplugs."

+1 :thumbup:

I have to say I agree with floyd 100%. I am 21 years old and already have mild tinnitus in both ears thanks to playing/watching concerts without earplugs. I can still hear things most people can't, but it's enough to bother me. I am a musician/amateur studio engineer and my hearing is everything to me.

I have ridden with and without earplugs on several different bikes. Even though the bikes themselves were relatively quiet, the wind noise can be your downfall. The yardstick for me is that if I have trouble hearing myself talk, then it's too loud.

Of course some people are more sensitive to things than others. Some people care about hearing loss and others don't. Depending on the airflow around your particular helmet the noise might not be as bad. There are certainly variables that we all must take into account in our own unique situation. Honestly though I prefer to take the extra 30 seconds to help insure that I will still be able to enjoy beautiful music when I'm old and gray.

MiniCog
March 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah, apparently I'm pretty hard headed. That explains why I'm in a collegiate high school. Nothing is getting in my way of being a Radiologist M.D. Or anything else.

BUT this is an earplugs thread, so no hijaking for me!

I'm not saying earplugs are bad or anything, they're good for you if anything. I just don't wear them when I ride for some reason. It's probably a stupid reason, but I'm a different person than everyone else.

If anyone rides without earplugs, please wear them. Even I (yes, me) am giving them a 10th chance this weekend... :D

I have a quick question... When I go home (Not on a trip, I'll actually wear earplugs for that), I generally ride for an hour and stop for a quick break at a lake or gas station or restaurant for a few minutes... Could this be why I'm not feeling many effects of not wearing earplugs?

setasai
March 18th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Nope. If anything its more so because you are used to it and your hearing is just gradually becoming less sensitive. This is why it is so hard to advocate earplugs. It's a gradual thing and you cant all of the sudden be like "oh crap I wished I used them". If you were in an explosion or behind a jet, you'll feel the effects so fast you'll be covering your ears with anything you can get your hand on but since it is so mild and gradual that the effects arent felt till it's too late.

It's nothing that other posters havent said yet and even if you were to wear them now, and preserve your hearing, you wont be thinking "oh hey i should thank those people for forcing me to wear earplugs" because you still have your hearing. It's an "after the fact" type of advice.

Similar to wearing riding pants or boots... before you put them on, you might feel like it is unnecessary but once you hit the ground, boy do you wish you listened. Goodluck and stay safe.

phr3ek
March 18th, 2011, 06:17 AM
i cant stand silent rides
so i listen to my ipod

but i think that earplugs would be great for spirited riding where concentration is a key factor

i just commute so not much concentration is required going in a straight line

gfloyd2002
March 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Well that sucks. The issue of motorcycle-related hearing loss has been bugging me because of this thread, and I'd pretty much known I'd had a problem. So I broke down and went to the ENT doc today. No surprise, I've got some hearing damage in my right ear. 55 dbs at the "moderate" to "moderately severe" level.

Wear ear plugs people. Cost of 200 Moldex PuraFit plugs? $20. Cost of hearing aid that will help now = $2,400.

setasai
March 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Well that sucks. The issue of motorcycle-related hearing loss has been bugging me because of this thread, and I'd pretty much known I'd had a problem. So I broke down and went to the ENT doc today. No surprise, I've got some hearing damage in my right ear. 55 dbs at the "moderate" to "moderately severe" level.

Wear ear plugs people. Cost of 200 Moldex PuraFit plugs? $20. Cost of hearing aid that will help now = $2,400.

Aww that sucks. Thanks to you guys here on the forum, I started wearing earplugs on day 2 of riding so hopefully i've learned something for future generations.

Dont be too down though. If i've learned anything being a premed student is that the human body is incredibly resilient and while you might not gain back your hearing in full, the brain will compensate and stabilize/lessen the effects over time. Lesson learned and prevent future damage is all you can do. Plus, at least this type of damage still allows you to keep riding.

choneofakind
March 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I wear them now! Every ride that's more than 20ish minutes. I didn't at all last summer because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to hear traffic. But one of my buddies on a cbr600 kept telling me about how much nicer it is to ride with earplugs, so I went to Lowe's and for $2.50 (great number) I bought myself a pair of 25dB reuseable earplugs with the cord between them and a carrying case to store them. I gotta say, it's incredible. I don't get tired or have headaches as easily, and with the 2bros exhaust, those were getting pretty extreme. I highly recommend earlplugs for everyone just because of wind noise. I even bough a pack of foamy onetimeuse earplugs for my girlfriend to use.

warlord
March 20th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I'm wearing them when I ride to work since it's an 45 minute ride at 55-60mph. For my ride to school (< 5 minutes) I don't since I only hit about 45 mph for 30 seconds before slowing to make a turn.

I have green disposable MAX Lite foamies (-30dB NRR) and some reusable corded silicone earplugs (-26dB NRR) my wife picked up for me.

MiniCog
March 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I tried them and I couldn't ride right! I thought I was going slower than I really was... No joke. I got a ticket, too.

Should started wearing earplugs a long time ago...
:(

Live2ride
April 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I didn't start using them until a few days ago and I have to admit, I recommended not using them in another thread, I was wrong. I feel like I can hear the engine scream more and less wind noise. My helmet seems to have gotten much louder than last summer and the earplugs definitely help.

paterick4o8
April 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I've since upgraded to ear bud headphones and some good tunes :P

reaubideux
April 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread. I've had my Ninja a few weeks and been riding the past week but haven't gotten above 60mph. I'd known of riders wearing ear plugs or ear buds w/their iPod or whatever, and just thought "no way I'm wearing ear plugs." I won't be able to hear surrounding traffic, sirens, etc. Looks like I was mistaken after reading through the experiences shared in this thread. Not sure if I'll ever use ear buds w/music simply b/c that still seems a bit dangerous since you're pumping in music which, logically speaking, would seem to purposely cancel out the noise you WANT to hear - sirens, horns, etc. - but I'm definitely going to be stopping by a hardware store today to pick up some ear plugs.

Just got back from Walmart, picked up a 4-pair pack of the Hearos plugs after seeing a few of you folks liked them. Only $1.76 for the pack. Squeezed them through the packaging and they felt nice and soft. If the weather cooperates I'll have to take them out for a test drive. Wonder if my wife will buy that excuse? :D

ericeng91
April 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not too sure if this has been mentioned or not. But what about sound damping materials rather than ear plugs? Wouldn't that reduce the high frequency material but still let you hear what is around you?

Some sort of high density foam or even stuff like
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&q=sound+dampening+material&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12261346304563540511&sa=X&ei=o2ijTZebA4-w0QHKvaSYBQ&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

or

http://www.acousticpc.com/acousti_products_apextsm_acoustipack_extra_sheet_max_pc_sound_proofing_material. html

Just cut out a section and place it in the ear area. Behind the padding and all so it doesn't fall and its not in the way.

kkim
April 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
might work, might not, but what's the problem with just using ear plugs? :confused:

ericeng91
April 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM
might work, might not, but what's the problem with just using ear plugs? :confused:

Ear plugs and ear buds are uncomfortable for me for long periods of time. My ears start itching for no real reason.

And I figure you can get double protection? or sound protection and listen to buds too.

kkim
April 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I would think something in the ear cutout area would be sort of confining for people's ears. I know my helmets have very little extra room in that area after my ears are in there. :bunny1:

if you've tried earplugs and need another solution, go for it and see how it works for you. I would guess, anything would be better than nothing, but perhaps you just might need to try another brand/size/materiel of earplugs? The good thing about these are there are a wide variety available and can attenuate to different levels based on what one is comfortable with, while still cutting the undesirable high freq wind noise.

setasai
April 11th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Ear plugs and ear buds are uncomfortable for me for long periods of time. My ears start itching for no real reason.

And I figure you can get double protection? or sound protection and listen to buds too.

It's possible the itching is an allergic reaction to the foam or rubber that's used in most earplugs. If true, foam in the helmet would be even worse. Try a pair of ER-20's by etymotics. They make it out of silicone and are reusable.

The idea of earplugs is to simulate the noise reduction qualities of 360degrees of metal/glass/plastic in a cager so foam in the helmet while could help, would make it a nightmare to get on without crushing your ears.

ericeng91
April 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
It's possible the itching is an allergic reaction to the foam or rubber that's used in most earplugs. If true, foam in the helmet would be even worse. Try a pair of ER-20's by etymotics. They make it out of silicone and are reusable.

The idea of earplugs is to simulate the noise reduction qualities of 360degrees of metal/glass/plastic in a cager so foam in the helmet while could help, would make it a nightmare to get on without crushing your ears.

it's not an allergic reaction, but it's good to know there are silicone plugs out there.

The reason I thought about this was because there was a sound dampening panel on display somewhere (i forget where) and I put my ear about 3 inches away, and it was a HUGE difference in what I could hear. In a helmet, I would assume the space is around 1/4 inch, maybe 1/2 inch and something like that could dampen A LOT of sound coming in while not covering everything. Idk, my new helmet is coming in the mail now so when i get it, I'll take a look at how the padding is, if there is some spare room, I'll pick up some computer sound dampening pads, cut them to size and give it a try.

tiggen
April 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I noticed on a cross country trip that ear plugs helped HUGELY in reducing fatigue over many hours of riding. I also find that they have the same result racing bikes and karts.

choneofakind
April 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I noticed on a cross country trip that ear plugs helped HUGELY in reducing fatigue over many hours of riding. I also find that they have the same result racing bikes and karts.

Thats the first thing I noticed when I started riding with them. I can still hear everything just fine, and I dont get tired. a Definitely good investment

beowuff
April 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
In Washington State, it is illegal to have ear buds in both ears while operating ANY motor vehicle. Doesn't stop a lot of people, but thought I'd put it out there. Check your local state (or province, or whatever :p) laws.

Still loving my ear plugs. Best thing I did to increase the enjoyment of long rides on the bike!

Sushilover
April 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Thank you everyone for this thread, i went out for a ride with earplugs for the first time ever and it made a world of difference. I was more relaxed, the ride was less tiring, and hearing the engine was surprisingly easier. I will be wearing earplugs for the rest of my riding days!

caferacer
April 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have worn ear plugs for years..i think that i read about it in a magazine. The reduction in fatigue is huge. I would not consider riding without them. I have actually stopped right after i started out, just to put in plugs when i forgot. My pipe is kinda loud but the wind noise is the problem. I can hear better with them in...they take out all of the white noise. I even use them when i ride on my road bicycle. :thumbup:

k-os
April 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
My pipe is kinda loud but the wind noise is the problem. I can hear better with them in...they take out all of the white noise. I even use them when i ride on my road bicycle. :thumbup:

That's the main reason I wear ear plugs. Damn wind is so noisy at speed.

Ramen
April 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Surefire makes an earplug set that works great and is comfortable at the same time:

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

setasai
April 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Surefire makes an earplug set that works great and is comfortable at the same time:

Wow, I love the way those things look. How do you determine which size you are? They have small/med/large but I'm not sure which ones to get. Anyway to try them on somewhere?

Scott1620
April 15th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Wow, I love the way those things look. How do you determine which size you are? They have small/med/large but I'm not sure which ones to get. Anyway to try them on somewhere?

Looks like there is a sizing chart on that website too...

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/images_inv/v/k/24306/EP3-sizing-FINAL.jpg

20ninja03
April 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I would never use them no matter the wind noise.

kkim
April 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I would never use them no matter the wind noise.

never use what... earplugs? if so, please explain why not?

geeker
May 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-DefendersI was just about to throw these out there. I haven't used them, but a co-worker has them for the range and loves them.

Bols
May 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just got a few different plugs i ordered from http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/
They have some really nice and cheap earplugs for different use! I fell in love with QuietEar http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/quietnrr14.html They feel really good, are cheap and they don't reduce too much of the sound, which i feel most earplugs do. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

cuong-nutz
May 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I need to get myself some earplugs now since I switched from my stock exhaust to something else which is louder. Also the wind noise is very bothersome now that I notice it.

glock_19
May 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
El cheapo Skullcandy buds:

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/ink-d-sc-black-black.html

JulietP
June 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I always wear hearing protection unless I make a quick stop close to home and have just a short jaunt home at city speeds. I wear Big Ear brand plugs that are formed to my ears and they are extremely comfortable. Even with my full-face HJC, the wind noise, particuarly above 50 mph, is bad. I commute at highway and interstate speeds, so I don't leave home without them.

My boyfriend and I made the mistake of riding 3 hours on the highway without earplugs (we had a communication system and thought we wouldn't be able to hear with plugs in) and had ringing in our ears for a good part of the day after we got to our destination.

cuong-nutz
June 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have from no earplugs to jvc marshmallow ear buds and good tunes. What a big difference in noise suppression! I also ordered an aero skirt for my scorpion helmet to reduce. The wind noise. Majority of my riding is on the highway commuting to and from work so wind noise is a big issue with me aside from the sound of my full race exhaust.

Lockshi3
June 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Yep I wear them. They are made by etymotic research. They cut out most of the wind. I'd say earbuds/ear plugs are a must especially for a lot of highway

Gorilla25
June 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
hmm..interesting thread..they talked about it in MSF, but i just thought..blah, blah, blah...i dont get much wind noise while on my moped in town......BUT, when i do get a bike, i'll see how i is riding around town with no plugs then decide about town riding and plugs...but i def. will have some in on the freeway or long hwy rides.

Boom King
June 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM

Loud noise is an environmental stress. Your body responds in different ways to cope with this stress such as increasing your adrenaline and cortisol levels, heart rate and blood pressure. It's the way our ancestors were programmed when they had to avoid being prey to bigger animals. That's why whenever you hear a loud noise or bang, you feel your heart jump and the hair stand on your back or why babies cry to alert their parents of danger. Reactionary response to make you more alert but your body is only built to handle this in short spurts. As your body is working harder in this state, it is using more energy and after some time, you will get that lethargic feeling. Of course, everyone's bodies are not the same.

Consider this an added benefit of ear plugs; aside from helping to prevent long term hearing loss they help to reduce the chance of fatigue and allow you to stay more alert on that bike.

GeorgiaHooligan
June 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
I used earplugs for a while after reading a very good article in a motorcycle mag about hearing loss. If I know Im going to be traveling at Highway speeds for a long period, I'll wear them if I have them. Feels weird at first, but you get used to hearing yourself breath. Makes a big difference. No muffled hearing after a long fast ride.

miss_syn
June 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
I tried them for the first time on Sunday and WOW. It made a huge difference and it was more enjoyable.

Enfemus
June 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ear plugs are FTW. Notice a huge difference when I do use them and when I don't.

setasai
June 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Yay another convert. We all have kkim to thank for starting this thread. Ear protection is such an overlooked piece of gear. I've been trying to get my friend to wear one but he insists that it's ok. Sigh.

kkim
June 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I've been trying to get my friend to wear one but he insists that it's ok. Sigh.

try talking with him when he's my age... he won't be able to hear you by then, if he continues riding w/o using earplugs. :D

Buffalony
June 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
I have an HJC CL-15 helmet. They're commonly loud so I wear plugs 90% of my riding. I also cut my plugs in half. Not cause I'm a cheapo but because it helps prevent them from getting pulled out when putting my helmet on and off. A package lasting twice as long is a bonus:D
No problems hearing. I usually catch myself yelling at people though.

setasai
June 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
try talking with him when he's my age... he won't be able to hear you by then, if he continues riding w/o using earplugs. :D
Yea. I've gotten him to wear them during longer highway rides but not during the slower twisties. I feel like a nagging parent sometimes because I have to tell him to wear his chaps even when it's hot out. He rides a suzuki intruder so he's more into the stereotypical cruiser look. Still though, one step at a time... I'll convert him soon enough.

I have an HJC CL-15 helmet. They're commonly loud so I wear plugs 90% of my riding. I also cut my plugs in half. Not cause I'm a cheapo but because it helps prevent them from getting pulled out when putting my helmet on and off. A package lasting twice as long is a bonus:D
No problems hearing. I usually catch myself yelling at people though.

In half? You must have short ear canals or arent putting them in all the way. The disposable earplugs I wear go pretty much all the way in and only a small amount of it sticks out. Just enough to pull them out. If it were half the length, I think i'd lose them in my ear.

Buffalony
June 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
In half? You must have short ear canals or arent putting them in all the way. The disposable earplugs I wear go pretty much all the way in and only a small amount of it sticks out. Just enough to pull them out. If it were half the length, I think i'd lose them in my ear.

I do. When cut in half they are just below flush with my canal. Anything to stop the turbulance is good. Even some TP will work I guess.

GeorgiaHooligan
June 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I didnt think about cutting them in half. Good idea bro.

Honko
June 24th, 2011, 06:23 AM

The extended portion that goes into the ear canal is kind of off-putting.

Vampyre
June 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Just rode for the first time with ear plugs and it was sublime. A whole lot nicer. I just use some rubber ones that I use when I am playing guitar real loud.

ichibunkid.206
June 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM

After see this post I had a look at the website, and ordered a pair... I wasn't using ear plugs before (only had the bike for about 3 weeks, only been out on it like less than 4 time) went for a ride last nite and used a pair of foam ear plugs I got in bulk from Home Depot... It did seem to make the riding experience more enjoyable.... and I did notice a big decrease in hearing wind noise in my helmet.

Jerkson
June 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
After see this post I had a look at the website, and ordered a pair... I wasn't using ear plugs before (only had the bike for about 3 weeks, only been out on it like less than 4 time) went for a ride last nite and used a pair of foam ear plugs I got in bulk from Home Depot... It did seem to make the riding experience more enjoyable.... and I did notice a big decrease in hearing wind noise in my helmet.

This especially holds true when you're doing a long distance trek on the highway :)

Buffalony
June 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
just ran across this here on our site. Links appropriate for this thread. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=186

setasai
June 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
The extended portion that goes into the ear canal is kind of off-putting.

What do you mean? how else would you get a good seal?

Honko
June 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
What do you mean? how else would you get a good seal?

I should rephrase what I said. Obviously something would have to block the canal to cancel out the noise, but those look like they go really deep into there, which isn't particularly good for your hearing either. Obviously I haven't worn them so I can't say for sure which is why I'm wondering how far they go from people who have used them.

Buffalony
June 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Those look fancy. Let us know how well they work.

ichibunkid.206
June 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Those look fancy. Let us know how well they work.

I'll do that... they're suppose to arrive in the mail today

Buffalony
June 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'll do that... they're suppose to arrive in the mail today

Sweet. I like how they have those little plugs in them. Ear plugs with plugs!!! :D Or earplugs you can operate. haha

Liquidtoon
June 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I use these. LG HBS-700s

http://www.cellxpo.com/images/221478.JPG

They are blue-toothed to my phone and fit under my helmet great while still getting rid of the wires. they also make the controls easy to and use even with gloves.

I know awesome headphones still are not ear plugs but I like to think of it as a theme song for my 250. . .

setasai
June 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I use these. LG HBS-700s

http://www.cellxpo.com/images/221478.JPG

They are blue-toothed to my phone and fit under my helmet great while still getting rid of the wires. they also make the controls easy to and use even with gloves.

I know awesome headphones still are not ear plugs but I like to think of it as a theme song for my 250. . .

That's pretty cool. If the headphones isolate from outside noise as well as earplugs then i'm all for it. That's why i use my ER-6's all the time. Music and noise isolation. Perfect combo.