View Full Version : I cant decide. Although my wallet may have the final say.

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I have a few options on new DS helmets. I havent checked to see if I can get them cheaper from the hook up I have so that will weigh heavily on my decision on them as well. I know he sells Icon so I may be able to get that one cheaper but idk about the others especially AGV since its a dirt bike store. anyways here are the ones im looking at.

Edit* This will be for DS riding, but I will use this for the street mostly. If I go for a dirt specific ride I will use a dirt helmet and goggles. (Im trying to pick up a DS in a trade for the KX450

Icon Variant Etched (in red) $390
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2010-Icon-Variant-Etched-Helmet.jpg

AGV AX-8 Evolution (black or white) $399
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-AGV-AX-8-DS-Evolution-Helmet-Black.jpg

Fly Trekker DS (matte black) $125.99
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2011-Fly-Racing-Trekker-DS-Helmet.jpg

AFX FX-39 DS (this one or w/b camo) $119.99
http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2011-AFX-FX-39-DS-Camo-Helmet-Marpat-Camo.jpg

The last two actually have the same exact shell. Im kind of leaning towards the first two, but they are the most $$. The Icon looks badass but I have a hard time spending $400 on an Icon. :lol: AGV looks great and is ECE as well as DOT certified. All others I think are just DOT. although I thought in Revzillas video they said the AFX was ECE as well...

I found the 2011 model of the AGV and would have totally just got that since it was so much cheaper but they do not have my size. Anyways lmk what you guys think. I know I posted some of these on the cool helmet thread but this is a chance for you to vote for your favorites :)

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM
15 views and no one had an opinion? dang.

Falcor
April 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM
The first two appear to look like they are better quality. But what do i know? :D

EsrTek
April 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I'd get the Icon or AVG, voted Icon cause it's a bit cheaper.
However, as you said your budget may have deciding factor, and there is a big gap between those prices. Anything in the middle price range?

xSean13
April 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Unless you're racing supercross or some big races trying to go pro, I'd spend the least amount of money. $400 on a dirt bike helmet is ridiculous imo. If you wreck...you hit dirt, I don't think there's a ~$300 difference in protection (or looks) to justify the Icon or AVG.

EsrTek
April 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Unless you're racing supercross or some big races trying to go pro, I'd spend the least amount of money. $400 on a dirt bike helmet is ridiculous imo. If you wreck...you hit dirt, I don't think there's a ~$300 difference in protection (or looks) to justify the Icon or AVG.
I'm exact opposite thinking from yours...
Actually you hit rocks, trees, branches/logs and very easy to hit things you cannot see.

xSean13
April 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm exact opposite thinking from yours...
Actually you hit rocks, trees, branches/logs and very easy to hit things you cannot see.

Depends what his use of the dirt bike is. If it's just riding trails, nobody is going to see it, so its looks don't really matter, if it's motocross, then there are no rocks, trees, etc on the track.

Falcor
April 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Depends what his use of the dirt bike is. If it's just riding trails, nobody is going to see it, so its looks don't really matter, if it's motocross, then there are no rocks, trees, etc on the track.

What about the other bikes?

xSean13
April 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
What about the other bikes?

What about them? I used to race motocross...even the most basic motocross helmets provide sufficient protection even if you were to slam your head into the side of another bike, the handlebars, etc

jdoucet93
April 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I voted Icon because I bought a Variant this past tuesday and it is amazing. It fits beautifully, it's very very well ventilated, it's super light, and it looks badass! ;)

So yeah, I would go with the Icon.

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
hmm perhaps I should clear this up. This will be for dual sport riding. Im trying to trade the dirt bike for a DRZ400SM. This will mainly be a street helmet with some dirt ROAD ridings. I will get a dirt helmet for the sand and dirt when I specifically go out for that. Even if the dirt bike is traded (which I hope it is) Ill be getting a little putput dirt bike to ride with my son, and Ill still have gear, because thats how I roll.

alex.s
April 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
use what you already have

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
use what you already have

no.

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
also I want these as well...

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2007_Alpinestars_Tech_3_Boot_Black_Red.jpg

although I should probably pay off student loans...

TnNinjaGirl
April 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Encom, why you no like Arai?

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
cause they are $50 to $100 more than even the AGV

TnNinjaGirl
April 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
But it is hand-loved into creation :)

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
hahaha

I cant justify that much on a single purchase. While I do think my head is important, I think other brands will do just as good of a job protecting it.

choneofakind
April 27th, 2012, 05:08 PM
But it is hand-loved into creation :)

ha. hahaha. that's what she said.

Justin, buy the helmet that fits you best. How many times must I tell you this???? I might have a helmet mohawk, but you're the squid when it comes to helmets :p

2003ninja
April 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Buy all of them. Then give the ones you dont want to me. :D

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
maybe.

If I was rich.

but im not...

gfloyd2002
April 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Why buy a helmet with a built in noisemaking windgrabber on it? Go with a regular full face, and you can get Snell rated. Full face works just fine for dual sport, particularly if you are primarily street as you say. If you insist on one of these, then the AGV so you get ECE certs. A better standard than DOT due to requirements of actual testing for each lot. And why no safe light colored helmets (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=166)? If you were looking for a prom dress, I'd be all about style. But this is a helmet. Buy a safe, functional one. :thumbup:

choneofakind
April 27th, 2012, 09:29 PM
prom dresses are only good for one thing: taking them off ;)

massacremasses
April 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Why buy a helmet with a built in noisemaking windgrabber on it? Go with a regular full face, and you can get Snell rated. Full face works just fine for dual sport, particularly if you are primarily street as you say. If you insist on one of these, then the AGV so you get ECE certs. A better standard than DOT due to requirements of actual testing for each lot. And why no safe light colored helmets (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=166)? If you were looking for a prom dress, I'd be all about style. But this is a helmet. Buy a safe, functional one. :thumbup:

Yeah im gonna get a DS cause Imma be driving a super moto so Id like the helmet to match. Ill still have my good ol gmax if im going to do any freeway or high speed driving.

saxnbass
April 28th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Justin, have you tried any of these on to see how they fit?

massacremasses
April 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Justin, have you tried any of these on to see how they fit?

No I saw that they fit a oval head. which is what I am so im assuming they will fit well. Ill have to see when I go to socal if they fit.

Actually I have tried the Icon on. it fit good. I was a medium in it. THe other three I have not tried on.

saxnbass
April 28th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Always try on helmets before debating if you want it or not. If it fits, then add it to the list of potential purchases; if not, that starts narrowing down the list nicely and easily. :thumbup:

Goom
April 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
First off- supermoto bikes = pure sex. I used to think they were pretty lame looking, then a whole pack of them went by with dudes in full race gear when I was over around Bloomington a few weeks ago, and they didn't look like squids (which they obviously weren't judging by an effortless wheelie by one to them...save the "wah! Wheelies are for bad people" crap). At that point, the lameness factor dropped significantly.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of the Fly helmet myself. I've always loved their mx gear, so that might sway my opinion, but I really like that helmet.

massacremasses
April 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Always try on helmets before debating if you want it or not. If it fits, then add it to the list of potential purchases; if not, that starts narrowing down the list nicely and easily. :thumbup:

I fit in fly stuff ok Ive tried their dirtbike helmets. I dont know about AGV though. but I think it should fit according to their sizing chart.

First off- supermoto bikes = pure sex. I used to think they were pretty lame looking, then a whole pack of them went by with dudes in full race gear when I was over around Bloomington a few weeks ago, and they didn't look like squids (which they obviously weren't judging by an effortless wheelie by one to them...save the "wah! Wheelies are for bad people" crap). At that point, the lameness factor dropped significantly.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of the Fly helmet myself. I've always loved their mx gear, so that might sway my opinion, but I really like that helmet.

yeah I think that one looks pretty sick. Probably the second best looking after the Icon. FLY makes cool stuff but the reason Im looking so hard at the AGV is because its DOT and ECE certified

also, I plan on doing wheelies on a regular basis.... that is all.