View Full Version : Suggest me a windshield

MarcoPolo
April 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
So I went for about a 10 mile stretch on the freeway today and I had to get off. It was a little cold, about 40 degrees F, so I'm sure that didn't help. The wind was hitting me right in the throat and shooting up into my helmet. It became really painful really fast. I'm 6'4 so I'm a tall dude, a full tuck for me helped, but I can't see myself doing that for long periods. I got off the freeway and took some nice twisty roads home.

So which windshield would you recommend for a tall dude? I've heard the DB isn't that great for tall people. What are your opinions?

Renner
April 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I am 6 foot 4 also...I gave up on the windshield and just realized to wear more layers under my riding jacket and tuck as much as possible...hope you find one that works for you though :thumb up:

Also I put in the chin adapter thing in my helmet and that helps with the wind going up the helmet.

I have a CL16 HJC helmet but I am sure the chin piece works for most helmets

http://www.amazon.com/HJC-Curtain-CL-15-CL-SP-Helmets/dp/B001DDEJT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335848083&sr=8-1

choneofakind
April 30th, 2012, 10:10 PM
my Zero Gravit double bubble helps get the clean pocket of air a little taller. It mostly just helps my tuck feel a little less cramped and a little smoother, but unless I'm tucking, I notice minimal difference tbh.

iceknyght
May 1st, 2012, 09:04 AM
I have ridden in temps down in the 30's and what I have found to help is a balaclava (http://www.revzilla.com/snow/arctiva-thermolite-liner-balaclava). I still wear it in the mornings to work and it really helps keep you warmer! On the cold days, I'd wear my jacket with the liner, winter gloves and my over pants, which between those and the balaclava, kept me from freezing! ;)

Jiggles
May 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM
The sport touring windshields make a big difference but they look a little silly

MarcoPolo
May 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah thanks for the advice guys. Been looking and the sport touring ones are quite silly lol i donno if I can justify that. The extension ones that just clip on stock are just as much as a DB. So far learning towards the DB i suppose. It definitely looks the coolest.

Jiggles
May 1st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Well what do you want, style or function? Your OP makes it sound like you want function, in which case the ST one is the only one that will make a significant difference

EMSRacer07
May 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM
have u looked at mikes shields? his are pretty nice and def have plenty of coverage. I have a Double bubble but if i could i would get one of mikes sheilds.

MarcoPolo
May 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
have u looked at mikes shields? his are pretty nice and def have plenty of coverage. I have a Double bubble but if i could i would get one of mikes sheilds.

Oh wow thanks for the idea. The sport model looks pretty nice and isn't that obnoxious. Heck and it's a lot cheaper!

EMSRacer07
May 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Oh wow thanks for the idea. The sport model looks pretty nice and isn't that obnoxious. Heck and it's a lot cheaper!

yeah alot cheaper. Think his sheilds are with free shipping. I got the winter wings from him. Very pleased. Only thing is that might take some to get it since he hands makes them but i got mine very promptly.

Numbersix
May 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM
BTW, for cool or cold, a balaclava served me much better than any helmet or windscreen. Wind at 10F against an unexposed neck is not that much fun; however with good gloves, jacket, and the fleece balaclava, I was comfortable at 50mph with no windscreen (on the now-deceased Elite 110).

For style comparison, I'm gradually working toward turning my Ninja into a sport-touring beast, so the ZG ST screen is on my list. However, that's on a new-gen, whereas MP's machine is a pre-gen.