View Full Version : Rode right into mud...

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hope the pictures work, still new here. I was riding with a friend today who decided to ride up into the hills after only 4 weeks of riding experience.. I decided to lead having ridden for about a year now and turned out to look like the fool in the end.

Basically took a turn, saw dirt, puddle, mud, and went right into it. I tried turning out of it at the wrong time (being in the mud already), lost traction and fell over going about 30mph. I did manage to perform a heroic faceplant right onto the concrete with my arms out like Superman though. :thumbup:

Landed on the left side, now I get to replace my fairing (yet again, bought it damaged and replaced it too soon I guess), my mirror, and my gear shifter has bent inwards over the rod (had to ride home in second and third gear).

I surprised myself as I'm not nearly as pissed off as I thought I'd be. I'm actually kinda relieved I experienced my first crash. I am also relieved I bought my Dainese jacket about two weeks before this happened, only a small tear on the right side chest area. Can't say the same for my gloves, never cheaping out on those again; Joe Rocket's tore apart at the palms at the low speed I was going... Jeans held up but still managed to get nice wounds on my knees. Head (AFX helmet) and feet (TCX boots) fine. Also scared my friend into buying some proper gear as he had a perfect view of the entire thing.

Overall, strange experience and the nice present revealed after picking your bike back up is fun. I cannot imagine this happening at freeway speeds.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/standard-toaster/th_IMG_2074.jpg (http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/standard-toaster/IMG_2074.jpg)

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/standard-toaster/th_IMG_2082.jpg (http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/standard-toaster/IMG_2082.jpg)

Trailerboy531
April 29th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Man looks like you were riding and then just decided "....F*ck this fairing!"

xSean13
April 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
If you don't have any bad cracks, you could just sand and paint the fairings...gloss black isn't as hard to match as some of the other colors.

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Man looks like you were riding and then just decided "....F*ck this fairing!"

Lol. I didn't have time to decide anything. I didn't even realize I was falling until I was about to hit the ground.

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
If you don't have any bad cracks, you could just sand and paint the fairings...gloss black isn't as hard to match as some of the other colors.

I didn't think about that but there's a nice chunk missing near the blinker and it's cracked all along the top of the blinker as well.

Jiggles
April 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Woot another san jose rider! Now there is like 4 of us! Where did you eat it? Out on Hicks???

Jiggles
April 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I didn't think about that but there's a nice chunk missing near the blinker and it's cracked all along the top of the blinker as well.

If my blinker is intact (haven't looked) you can switch it out with my bike before insurance picks it up

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Woot another san jose rider! Now there is like 4 of us! Where did you eat it? Out on Hicks???

Nice! Lol. I was on Mt. Hamilton. Not sure if people call that Hicks?

If my blinker is intact (haven't looked) you can switch it out with my bike before insurance picks it up

Thank you, but the blinkers I have are retarded and needed to be drilled into the fairing. Unless you have the same ones? I've seen mine on ebay though for less than $20.

xSean13
April 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Hmmm, well, you could look into having it plastic welded, then sand & paint it...should be much cheaper than a replacement fairing.

But if you want to DIY for cheap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpTI3CKZ5M

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, well, you could look into having it plastic welded, then sand & paint it...should be much cheaper than a replacement fairing.

But if you want to DIY for cheap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpTI3CKZ5M

I've never even heard of that, thanks man. May try it since that kit is only $50, just need to see how much color matched paint would be. The chunk I'm missing is an inch or so wide though, you think it'll still work?

xSean13
April 29th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I've never even heard of that, thanks man. May try it since that kit is only $50, just need to see how much color matched paint would be. The chunk I'm missing is an inch or so wide though, you think it'll still work?

I have no clue, however, you could always get some bondo to fill that larger portion.

Jiggles
April 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nice! Lol. I was on Mt. Hamilton. Not sure if people call that Hicks?

Thank you, but the blinkers I have are retarded and needed to be drilled into the fairing. Unless you have the same ones? I've seen mine on ebay though for less than $20.

Nah, been up mt hamilton, fun ride, lots and lots of twisties.

And I just have stock blinkers if you want those.

We can ride together in 3 or 6 or 9 months or whenever my leg decides to stop being a pussy :thumbup:

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Nah, been up mt hamilton, fun ride, lots and lots of twisties.

And I just have stock blinkers if you want those.

We can ride together in 3 or 6 or 9 months or whenever my leg decides to stop being a pussy :thumbup:

Yeah it was pretty fun, just put on my Danmoto exhaust today too! Damn that thing is loud.

No, thanks though.

Yeah sure man. I just read your crash post! Crazy, hope get better dude.

Alex
April 29th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Sorry about your crash, from another nearby neighbor.

Kristofferzero
April 29th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry about your crash, from another nearby neighbor.

Thanks. Cool, another Bay Area resident!:D