View Full Version : The 650 just got a brother!

MustangGuy
April 29th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I couldn't stop myself.... When I bought my new Ninja 650 the dealership was advertising a Buell Firebolt. It was gone by the time I got there and I left with the 650 - which I love and have no regrets buying. I ended up reading some more about the Firebolts and really wanted one. So, here it is, a 2003. It has a few upgrades done and it's been well cared for. It's got a 984 cc V-twin - basically a modified Harley engine. The aluminum frame is actually the fuel tank and the swing arm (left side) holds the engine oil. It's air and oil cooled. It shakes like a Harley at idle. It's loud too - not quite as loud as a Harley with an open pipe setup but almost. It is a blast to ride! The power comes on very smooth and there is plenty of it. It's so torquey that it's not fussy about downshifts. The riding position is a bit aggressive. I'd probably opt for my 650 on a long trip. I got it from a guy about an hour's ride a way on the freeway. It was extremely smooth and stable at freeway speeds (80-ish) - even a bit more than the 650. This is one fun bike!

Jiggles
April 29th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Whats with the ugly bike as your avatar still??? :lol:

250rr
April 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I couldn't stop myself.... When I bought my new Ninja 650 the dealership was advertising a Buell Firebolt. It was gone by the time I got there and I left with the 650 - which I love and have no regrets buying. I ended up reading some more about the Firebolts and really wanted one. So, here it is, a 2003. It has a few upgrades done and it's been well cared for. It's got a 984 cc V-twin - basically a modified Harley engine. The aluminum frame is actually the fuel tank and the swing arm (left side) holds the engine oil. It's air and oil cooled. It shakes like a Harley at idle. It's loud too - not quite as loud as a Harley with an open pipe setup but almost. It is a blast to ride! The power comes on very smooth and there is plenty of it. It's so torquey that it's not fussy about downshifts. The riding position is a bit aggressive. I'd probably opt for my 650 on a long trip. I got it from a guy about an hour's ride a way on the freeway. It was extremely smooth and stable at freeway speeds (80-ish) - even a bit more than the 650. This is one fun bike!

Looks good! These bikes are interesting. Not your same 'ole, same 'ole, that's for sure! :thumbup:

choneofakind
April 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
those are wicked bikes. I love them!!! Buddy has one. TORQUE MONSTER!!

here's his:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5455_1204197751965_1439275303_563410_679957_n.jpg

no comments about Blaire. She's a good friend of mine!

caps
April 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
more pics of Blaire...

csmith12
April 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM
bring her to mid-o :eyebrows: i will show her my mustache

choneofakind
April 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Oh goodness... :lol: That was the only picture I could find of my buddy's Buell, so focus on the bike, not Blaire!!

I'm never posting pictures of my girlfriend on here. :laugh:

Jono
April 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm never posting pictures of my girlfriend on here. :laugh:

I am pretty sure you already have in a different thread.

Ohh, and more pics of Blaire! ;)

choneofakind
April 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM
oh right, I did...

MustangGuy
April 30th, 2012, 08:04 AM
That's a nice picture! Yep, that looks like an XB9.... could be an XB12. The 9 has a 984cc twin and the 12 has a 1204. From what I've read, the 12 obviously has more torque and HP, but believe me, the 984 engine is more than enough. It gets the bike up to freeway speed pretty fast but it's more like a big-block muscle car from the 60's because it's a big old-fashion engine in a performance body. I've never ridden a supersport, but I'm sure that would be a totally different riding experience compared to the Buell. I'm a car guy too. I just got on a Buell forum also and it turns out a lot of those guys have modded Mustangs too.

adouglas
April 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Wait... there's a bike in that picture? What?

(Your honor, in my own defense I must point out that I did not comment on the attractive young lady in question, only on the perceived lack of a motorcycle.)

choneofakind
April 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM
It's an XB9. It's a fantastic bike you've both got there :thumbup:

MustangGuy
May 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
It's funny how it worked out. I was all set - at least in my own mind - to buy the other Firebolt and keep the 250. I ended up with a new 650 AND a Firebolt. The best of both worlds you could say. I was thinking that having two bikes is excessive, but it seems like that more the norm! There's a few things I'm going to do to the Firebolt- rear turn signals (the under tail ones might as well not even be there.... it's an aftermarket kit), possibly better brake lights, maybe front turn signal cause I don't like the aftermarket ones on there and lastly I think I want to repaint it. The paint job it has is actually very good. It obviously wasn't a rattle can job, but I'm just not feeling the love. I just learned that the fairings/body panels where originally molded in color - not painted. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can find new old stock plastics for it - everything out there is off parted out bikes and can be pretty pricey. So, if I want to change the color scheme, probably the best thing to do is take the plastics off and take to a professional to have them properly repainted. They're in good shape, but there is quite a bit of paint on them that will need to be sanded off. When I have some time I'm going to get some estimates.

MustangGuy
May 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Whats with the ugly bike as your avatar still??? :lol:

And, yeah, I know I need to update my avatar - I'll do that right after my next photo shoot! :thumbup:

mustang5.0
May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
more pics of Blaire...

moar ginger chic

mustang5.0
May 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
sweet bike Mustangguy

Xoulrath
May 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Great bike man! I love the wheels on it. Definitely a nice bike if you want to get noticed.

MustangGuy
May 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
If nothing more, the sound will draw attention. It's pretty loud. People probably think it's a Harley until they see it. Right now I'm thinking of a bright metallic blue paint job. I think the natural aluminum frame and natural (no finish) wheels along with the double "Buell" decals on the air filter cover (fake gas tank) would look really sharp. Most of these bikes have powder coated wheels in blue, red or yellow and some have the aluminum painted flat black. I like the aluminum unpainted and I don't think I'm interested in going through the expense and work of removing the wheels for powder coating, so I'm trying to think of paint schemes that will go with silver/aluminum accents.

choneofakind
May 2nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
Get it just like my buddy's bike!! he's got the bare aluminum wheels and frame as well. Looks really great in that blue color.

MustangGuy
May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I think blue goes well with the bare aluminum. I was looking around on the internet and it's really hard to get a good set of original plastics. It would be nice to have an unmolested set, but I have yet to find all the fairings in the same color and undamaged. I think it will definitely be cheaper to have mine repainted.

FroggyGreenInSD
May 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM
If you haven't already, check out American Sport Bike online. They specialize in Buell stuff, aftermarket and OEM, and are right here in SoCal. The owner is a buddy of mine and a long time Buell rider.

MustangGuy
May 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM
If you haven't already, check out American Sport Bike online. They specialize in Buell stuff, aftermarket and OEM, and are right here in SoCal. The owner is a buddy of mine and a long time Buell rider.

I sure did - fantastic service! I had a good sized order and it came in less than 48 hours. The email confirming the order was from an actual person too - Al. I was very impressed. I need a few more things so I will definitely be ordering from them again.

The bike's electrical system has a bit of a charging issue. It turns out that this is a very common problem on the earlier models. I'm pretty sure I've isolated it to a bad connector that should have been replaced years ago with a different style one that was a running change. I'm just waiting for a special crimping tool that I bought before I can fix that.

On the fun side, I ordered all new carbon fiber body panels - a complete set. I've seen a few Firebolts on the web that were converted to all carbon fiber and they look awesome. I was excited about picking a color and getting the original plastics painted, but decided to do the carbon fiber instead. I'll still have the originals if I ever want a change.

Next up is the tires. They look like they have a good amount of life left in them but they don't feel as sticky as the ones on my new 650. The steering and responsiveness are both quite a bit quicker than the Ninja's so I want tires that I don't have to wonder about.

I love my 650, but this Firebolt is a really fun bike!

Reddoak
May 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Dude, your friend has a sweet ride! Bike looks nice, too!

dk58
May 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Awesome Buell! I'll probably get one as my next bike, they look so good.

alex.s
May 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
hummina hummina hi purrty bike