View Full Version : Damn uneven lanes...

Sordino
May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Well, got my 2012 Ninja 250 about a month ago, have put about 560 miles on it. Was going out for a ride today to a road I hadn't been on before.

I turn onto the road, and it's straight with a pretty sharp curve about 1000 feet ahead. About halfway through my corner I realize that my lane is about to drop 4 inches and be new pavement, while the left lane was still raised about 3 inches from the right lane.

The right lane (which I'm in) is now ending in about 1500 feet. All of this with no prior signs about uneven lanes. So now in heavy traffic on all sides and with no turn offs I'm forced to try to merge into the other lane. I slowed down, tried to hit it from as straight on as I could, but the front tire went out when it hit the edge.

The bike didn't lowside really, more so just fell over to the left with me on it. Slid for a couple feet maybe but I don't think so. Left side and left front (headlight casing fairing) are pretty scratched up, but not enough for me to want to replace the fairing (too much money). Will most likely end up removing the decals from both sides of the bike and using some putty/paint to fix the scrapes on the left side.

Any advice on what sort of putty/paint to use to repair fairings if anyone has tried this before?

My left turn signal also turned into plastic shards when it hit the pavement, I think that was actually the contact point for the bike with the asphalt. Just another reason for me to order those flushmounts I suppose.

dfox
May 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a really crappy situation. Construction zones are always dangerous for bikers, lots of road inconsistencies aren't properly identified. I've been in a very similar situation, however I continued as far as I could and came to a stop behind the traffic cones. I put on my signal and waited until someone was nice enough to stop and let me hit the 3" ledge completely perpindicular, turned, and continued on. I had to swallow my pride, but I kept my bike upright.

glad to hear you're alright, and it seems your bike will be alright too.

rmorse
May 3rd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Question!

I'm a dirt rider about to do street. Haven't tgaken my MSF course yet, so I don't have my license.

However, from my dirt experience, I know that I don't have to be 100% perpendicular to the bump/log, just close to it, and I can slide my rear wheel a bit when going over it. Will this work on the street? Essentially pivoting the bike around the front wheel a bit....

TnNinjaGirl
May 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
No. Its really best to keep both tires in firm contact with the ground at all times. There is a lot less margin for error on street as opposed to off road.
Posted via Mobile Device

etiainen
May 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
How fast where you going when you tried to merge?

Jiggles
May 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
It sounds like you were going about 5-10mph but even at 20mph you could have stood the bike up quick enough to get through

Sordino
May 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a really crappy situation. Construction zones are always dangerous for bikers, lots of road inconsistencies aren't properly identified. I've been in a very similar situation, however I continued as far as I could and came to a stop behind the traffic cones. I put on my signal and waited until someone was nice enough to stop and let me hit the 3" ledge completely perpindicular, turned, and continued on. I had to swallow my pride, but I kept my bike upright.

glad to hear you're alright, and it seems your bike will be alright too.

Yeah I probably should have just stopped but I thought I would be able to make it, guess not.

How fast where you going when you tried to merge?

I was going about 10-15, I probably could have saved it but it surprised me so much honestly I just didn't react quick enough. Now that I know what it feels like I guess I won't be so surprised in the future and can react more quickly to similiar situations.

CZroe
May 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Only days after I bought my bike, I took it to work. During my 12 hour shift, they started road work and began repaving. When I got off at midnight I turned right onto it and began traveling when I noticed that the lane beside me traveling the same direction was 4+ inches higher with new pavement, which created a 4+ inch curb between the lanes. I decided to take the next right hand turn at the first light and take a parallel street, so I continued on until the "curb" suddenly angled and swallowed up my lane at the worst possible angle! I have no idea how the bike stayed upright. Somehow, my tires traveled up and onto a 4+ inch wall that they encountered from the side.

That's not as bad as the 12hr shift I once worked before pulling out on that same road and found myself face-to-face with a flag/pilot car guiding one-lane-road traffic, but at least that was in a car and not my brand-new motorcycle. You'd think that they'd go in any parking lots and make sure people leaving are informed, but NOPE! No fliers, no road entry signs, and no door-knocks. All they cared to inform was the traffic approaching from either direction and not the traffic entering along the one-lane road.

akima
May 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
These 3 and 4 inch height differences in surface are insane!! That would never happen here. Whenever there are road works here they put down a ton of signs, traffic lights, cones and ramps. They also incrementally improve the road such that you don't have to deal with half-finished surfaces. I'd want to ride a dirt bike if I thought the roads could get that bad.

n4mwd
May 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I seriously think you need to contact a lawyer about the uneven lanes. Having that big of a difference is insane and the state is negligent and liable for your accident. Many lawyers will talk to you about it free of charge. If enough people hold the state accountable, they will eventually learn not to have lane differences that are unsafe for bikers.

I've had to deal with lane differences here in FL, but the difference is usually 1"-2" max. The Ninja can easily handle that.