View Full Version : MSF Course... Have You Taken It?

Pages : [1] 2

kkim
December 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
If yes, your feedback.

If no, why not?

islanderman7
December 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Yes. Took it because I heard the licensing was easier to obtain than through the DMV.

g21-30
December 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, it's an excellent class in Virginia.

Alex
December 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yeppers. Definitely the way to go here in California, if only for the ease in getting a full license compared to the antiquated DMV test. The course itself was reasonably useful as well. By no means are you an accomplished motorcyclist after completing the course, but it's a good start to the learning process.

Sailariel
December 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I took the Motorcycle Course that was offered in New York State back in 1958. I took the test on a 250 NSU. Back then, the test involved doing a series of figure eights without putting a foot down, hand signals (no directional lights back then), a couple of "panic stops", and a road portion requiring right and left turns and a lane change. Back then everybody was riding big bikes. A 250 was considered a scooter. I bought an Ariel Square Four 1000 to be part of the crowd. It was really too much bike for me then--and probably would be now. I have ridden H-D`s but felt they handled like a truck. Looking back, the best handling bikes I have ridden were a Ducati Diana 250, a Bultaco Metralla, and a Benelli 250. I also liked the Jawa 360. The Triumph 500 was also a nice bike. I did get hooked on cafe racers in 1965 and got a Norton 750 Atlas that was equipped with Dunstall components. It was a fine bike that handled well--raised hell with the H-D guys, Had the Norton till 82 when I quit riding and got into sailboats. Bought the Ninja in June 08 and have to say that it is the most refined bike I have ever owned. The bike oozes precision and quality. Kawasaki engineers literally outdid themselves on that bike. I had a BMW R-60 for quite a while--200,000 miles worth, and in all honesty, the Kawa is a .better bike. The price by today`s standards is not too dusty.

Ducati916Senna
December 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Nope. My brother taught me. He was a Master Safety Instructor for the Air Force. My wife did take it though and I think it helped her tremendously.

kkim
December 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
so vote in the poll, you last 2 guys. :)

KJohnson21
December 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, I took the advanced course a couple of years ago. Even though I've been riding for a long time it was still beneficial. It was great to work through the instructors steps without having to think about other traffic. I only wish that we had our Ninjette at the time, I did it on my Concours instead. That definately made it a challenge to keep it in the box. :)

ninjabrewer
December 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM
required in the Army, at least here in HI. I thought that it was great, coming from never owning a bike to have the license in a matter of days. Made getting the license a whole lot easier. Today I finally got the last I needed to ride. The US Army Hawaii requires you to have the MSF, license and a eval on your bike, and every bike that you will be riding. My 250 is really sluggish in first and the figure 8 was a pain, till I figured out to ride it in 2nd and then I aced it.;)

NB

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
required in the Army, at least here in HI. I thought that it was great, coming from never owning a bike to have the license in a matter of days. Made getting the license a whole lot easier. Today I finally got the last I needed to ride. The US Army Hawaii requires you to have the MSF, license and a eval on your bike, and every bike that you will be riding. My 250 is really sluggish in first and the figure 8 was a pain, till I figured out to ride it in 2nd and then I aced it.;)

NB

Chris,

Sounds like your bike is a candidate for shimmimg. :)

toku
December 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I took it back when I first started riding. At the time I was still a minor so it was the only way my parents would let me get on a bike. The course is free in PA though so it wasn't really a difficult decision. I found it really helped highlight the differences in riding technique between dirt and street.

I'll probably end up taking it again in the spring since my girlfriend is looking into getting licensed.

talldrink
December 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Yep I took it so I could upgrade to a larger scooter. But...........after riding the motorcycles at the MSF course, I realized riding a motorcycle is more fun!! So I passed the course and two months later I bought my '09 ninja.

camaroz1985
December 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I also took it. It is free in PA, and if you pass the test at the end you get your license. I had never been on a motorcycle before the class, so I didn't want to go buy a bike before I knew if I would like it. Also not learning on your brand new bike makes things a little easier on the nerves.

I feel it really helped me with the basics, and because I had no experience at all that is what I needed. Obviously after the class there is still much to learn about actually riding on the road.

I took the first class of the year, and got my bike 2 weeks later. I trucked it home and rode around a parking lot for a while familiarizing myself with the bike before I even thought about going on public roads.

So far so good :hitself: (Couldn't find a :knock on wood: smiley so that will have to do)

KJohnson21
December 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM

NB

I think it's a DoD requirement these days. I work at Los Angeles AFB where it's required, so they provide(d) the course for free. Which makes their whole process for military and civil servants pretty easy. Their only grey area is whether, or how to, enforce that requirement with contractors. It used to be that if there was an empty slot available in a class then a contractor could take it. At least that's what they were doing at this base, I'm not sure what they're doing now. Occasionally there's a survey on base to see if all of the motorcycle riders have had safety training, I can say "Yes" and show them my card if needs be.

jdesiano1
December 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I loved it. It improved my confidence and definitely my ability. Anyone who thinks they won't benefit is mistaken.

k-os
December 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
When I took it I think it was about $170 for the weekend. Was the best way for me to get my license so it was a no-brainer.

Sailariel
December 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Back in 1958 there was no such thing as an MSF Course. NY DMV did have a test one had to pass in order to get an MC endorsement on their license. My licence was "Motorcycle Only" I did not get an automobile license till 1965.

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Back in 1958 there was no such thing as an MSF Course. NY DMV did have a test one had to pass in order to get an MC endorsement on their license. My licence was "Motorcycle Only" I did not get an automobile license till 1965.

Neither was there any in 1970 when I got my MC license. For all these years I thought I was good to go with learning by the seat of my pants. It was constant exposure in other forums that made me realize there may be things which I might not know that could help.

A few months ago, I took the ERC MSF course at the local Navy base. Although a lot of what was taught were things I had learned throughout the years through experience, I did learn a thing or two about some basics I had overlooked in all my years of riding.

Point of my post is to say, you are never to old to consider taking the MSF course. I'm glad I did after all these years. It may end up saving my life one day.

Sailariel
December 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I think I`ll sign up fot the course this Spring. It is given a quarter mile from our home.

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
With your time in the saddle, see if they will let you take the ERC (Experienced Rider Course)... same as the basic course with a bit more detail thrown in.

Good luck... I feel you will find this time well spent.

zeroth
December 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Um, well, here in Central IL it's free. So it's worth quite a bit more than every penny! I did donate to the MSF though. Really good to advocate safety. Heck they should do it for cages too, but driving a car is so common, people think they can just hop on a bike and transition without thinking. This course really makes you think. I'm thinking of taking it again next year or the year after (I did only slightly better than average).

Panocha Rider
December 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I work on a Marine Corps Base and to ride a bike the MSF course is required. I have taken the ERC (Experienced Rider Course) two times now. Once a hundred years ago when i was a Marine and just recently as a general refresher to keep from getting into bad habits.

I enjoyed the course. I found it to be well run and full of info. :thumbup:

vonbeezy
December 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
YEPPERS!!!

The class was fun, and the instructor was a mechanic from Toyota who I actually job shadowed last year in auto tech. But yeah i loved the class even though it was chilly, but didnt rain! :D and i also got the highest scores on my test, even having to lead the pack and go first on each one :eek:

zartan
December 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yes a million years ago. 1992 so a refresher would be good. I still remember a lot from that class and it also helped me be a better car driver also. Taught me good habits about cornering and looking ahead and past obstacles. Not to fixate.. etc..
Helps in insurance costs and back then you did not automatically get your endorsement. NowI think it counts here in WA for the driving part.

we shoud sign up for the ERC. I know it would be good for me.

HKr1
December 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM

DMV in Cali wouldnt go for that(1980), I had to get a auto license first. Everything else is an endorsment they said. Kinda sucked, had to borrow a car to get it. Was in court one time, the judge was taking my license. I told him all my tickets are on a motorcycle, why dont you just take that endorsment off. He said it didnt work that way............ So I told him the story on getting a license, he just laughed :rolleyes:

On the MSF course, I never took it. Iam old, why bother now......
I did get it for my wife, really good thing for a newbie now days. Also it got her "motorcycle also" on her license without taking any test at DMV. Florida now has done away with tests, you have to take the MSF to get your endorsment.

djpharoah
December 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Yuh - took it and found it very confidence inspiring. Can't imagine riding without having taken the class.

vonbeezy
December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
2 second rule anyone?!?!

workdaddy
December 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Well Summer of '02 my lil brother and I brought home each a CBR 600.. Mom and Dad freaked out and said if you own those things you will take the ryders course and we will pay for it... :D Okay we say. Both my brother and i have ridin for years, but the course was a blast. Great things they have in the learning process. Plus like others have said it makes it easier for the DMV part (waiver for drive test). Recommend it for all People!!! :thumbup:

rhequiem
December 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I took it 2 weeks ago. One of my instructors ran up to me as I was walking out the gate after the test and informed me that I achieved a perfect score on the test, which he told me was pretty rare for the classes he taught, and that I should be happy about that :)

Artood2s
December 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Yes. It is a requirement to get a motorcycle endoresement in Florida, but I would have taken it anyway. Having never ridden a motorcycle before I had an easy time with most of the exercises except those evil u-turns :mad: I touched the line everytime during the learning and warm-up sessions, but somehow I aced them during the test. Talk about clutch :D

I came away with a lot of confidence after taking the course. I would recommend it to anyone, ESPECIALLY to those who have never ridden before.

JS73
December 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, took it here in Florida. The course was pretty good, although some of the people that passed, I...really don't know how they did. I guess you had to drop the bike to fail:rolleyes: Anyway, I still recomend that everyone take some type of formal motorcycle instruction, especially if you are a first timer.

I took a race school in October (Ed Bargy), now that was $ well spent.:)
Planning on spending more $ on seat time.

BlueTyke
December 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I took it! It helped me get my license and lowered my insurance, at the time.

I also have a dvd - Ride Like a Pro (http://www.ridelikeapro.com) - that helped out a lot too!

aloh
December 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I just passed it! Woohoo!! :happy120:

kkim
December 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I just passed it! Woohoo!! :happy120:

congrats, sir!! :clap2:

how was it?

Syphen
December 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Took the Canadian Gearing Up course (our version of MSF) It was a great way to spend a weekend. The only thing is: I rode to the school everyday on my CBR600F2. I rode a Yamaha DT125 i think it was. Just a tiny little dirt bike. By the end of the day I was so used to throwing the little 125 around that when I jumped on the CBR600, I almost dropped it in the parking lot because of how heavy it was.

Overall, I would recommend these types of courses to everyone. It REALLY helped my fiance out before she started riding the Ninja 250R.

aloh
December 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM
congrats, sir!! :clap2:

how was it?

Thank you kind sir!

It was pretty fun. They got to use their only older gen ninja 250! Everyone else got 125cc dirtbikes or honda rebels. I learned some tips and handy tricks, specifically about really looking where you want to go. That works so well.

The only tricky bits I still need to work on are low speed tight u-turns. Overall, I did pretty well.

kkim
December 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
The only tricky bits I still need to work on are low speed tight u-turns. Overall, I did pretty well.
ah, yes... the box! :lol:

practice, son... practice. :D We had a guy in a full dress Harley in our class and he had no problems in the box... thing of beauty when someone can handle such a beast, so well... and it was a borrowed bike from his friend! :thumbup:

HKr1
December 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I learned some tips and handy tricks, specifically about really looking where you want to go. That works so well.

Congrats on passing the class :thumbup: Looking where you want to go is like the #1 thing on a bike. I told this to the wife over & over before :)

I snuck over & took some pics & video of her. You know to remember the day, I was so happy seeing her turn her head :)

aloh
December 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
ah, yes... the box! :lol:

practice, son... practice. :D We had a guy in a full dress Harley in our class and he had no problems in the box... thing of beauty when someone can handle such a beast, so well... and it was a borrowed bike from his friend! :thumbup:

Damn that box. I went over the line once when they were doing the evaluations. :mad:

I will be sure to get plenty of practice in during my winter break from school!

Congrats on passing the class :thumbup: Looking where you want to go is like the #1 thing on a bike.

Thanks! I was surprised by how effective it really is.

Mista Bob
December 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM
We don't actually have the MSF courses up here.
But I did take a course that's essentially exactly the same thing.
Had a decent amount of previous experience on dirt bikes and still found it very helpful.

brian997
December 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I took the MSF's baby sister course (which is what we have up here)... it is offered at most of the colleges... It taught me how to ride. Excellent course... a lot of time riding the bikes, which was nice...

Cochese
December 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Here is my story:

I signed up for the class in 1997 with two buddies. The first day was classroom with the second and third being riding. I finished the first day and went home. On my second day, I was on the way and stopped at an accident about a mile from the community college where the MSF was hosted. I didn't have a cell phone (1997) so I got out to help the injured driver, since I was an EMT at the time.

Got to the class at 8:05 A.M. and everyone was lined up getting their gear on. Class had not started yet. I ran from my car and trotted into the course area. The instructor holds up his hand and says "sorry pal, your out of the class. We have a no-tolerance policy for tardy folks." I explain to him that I stopped at an accident scene to render aid and he didn't seem to be the least bit concerned.

He told me I was out of the class and then proceeded to tell me I could come to another class next month, but I would have to pay full tuition again ($85 bucks back then). I asked him if he was seriously going to keep me from finishing the class for stopping at a wreck even though folks were still donning their gear, and he told me to GTFO and come back next month!

Well, I told him to eat my ass and that he could shove his class. He said I would never get my endorsement without his instruction and laughed as I walked over to my pals and said goodbye. I told them I would meet them at the end of their day for lunch.

I then left and drove to the DMV. My other buddy worked at a restaurant in the same strip mall and had ridden his bike to work. I met with him and asked if I could borrow it for the DMV test. He laughed and agreed, tossing me his keys. I walked into the DMV and waited in line for 30 minutes. Took and passed the written MC test. Arranged the course and passed it on the first try. Walked into the DMV and picked up my new license for $15.

Went back to my buddies restaurant and asked to borrow his EX500 for the rest of the day. I had a sweet 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi at the time that was faster than his bike so he readily agreed. Rode back to the college just as class was finishing for the day.

A-hole instructor jaunts over to me and starts yelling at me about how he is calling the cops to report me for rising without an endorsement, blah blah, this that. I just rolled my eyes and pulled out my freshly minted M endorsement equipped DL.

My buddies walked up as he was going off and laughed their heads off. Then we went and got lunch. I was waiting for them again at the end of the third day and we all went for a ride. :thumbup:

I have about 20,000 miles down since then (I've been off and on with ownership) and nary a crash. :behindsofa:

sprale
December 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I never saw much point, I rode better than anyone I knew who took it. :D

On the other hand... by court order, I will be taking it before February 1, 2009. (Motorcycle Operators training course) :mad: There was a slight disagreement on the color of a light as I passed below it, I lost...

kkim
December 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I never saw much point, I rode better than anyone I knew who took it. :D

On the other hand... by court order, I will be taking it before February 1, 2009. (Motorcycle Operators training course) :mad: There was a slight disagreement on the color of a light as I passed below it, I lost...

lol... don't feel bad, I rode for years before I took the course and although a lot was stuff you pick up over the years, there were a few things I learned and, in the end, was glad I took the course. Hope it provides you the same benefit.

sprale
December 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
lol... don't feel bad, I rode for years before I took the course and although a lot was stuff you pick up over the years, there were a few things I learned and, in the end, was glad I took the course. Hope it provides you the same benefit.

I don't feel bad about taking the course. I have almost taken it a few times since getting my first scooter, I just never could justify the cost. I'll probably pick up some tip or advice that I had never considered as a result. That should help it sit better in my gut.

HKr1
December 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Texas must be ruff, loose on 1 ticket & get sent to class :eek:

In Cali, it took more than a few tickets before the judge ordered me to a class. You know looking back, a MC class would have fit(all tickets on bikes). They kept sending me to a regular driving ones. Couple of them were 5 weeks long, 1 day a week :rolleyes:

MC class seems like fun, more than a punishment :)

CaliGirl
December 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
It was my first experience riding a motorcycle and not on the back seat and I loved it! Although the fastest i went was only 15 mph, it was an amazing feeling. It really helped cement the fact that I wanted a motorcycle and made it easier to not be so scared about it!! :thumbup:

mike_sema
December 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I took the class and it was the best thing I could do to get over my fear of ridding a bike well not so much fear as just wanting to really know what I was doing, see I got my 1st bike back in 2000 it was a yammy 600 I got it for a grand and when I showed up at the guys house he gave me a walk around and handed me the keys I had know permit or had even been on a bike before it was just something that I wanted to do so I did it well after flying down the freeway in Colorado do over 100 mph when I passed an 18 wheeler and the bike shook as if it wanted to toss me off on the second day I have ever been on a bike, long story short I sold the bike and now I am starting off slow but I have to say that I love my 250r

gnfreak
December 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
took it.....back in the early 80's. or was that the late 70's? the memory is the first to go!!

Kolya1981
December 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Took it free in PA a year ago. Had been riding dirt bikes on and off for years, so it wasn't my first time on a bike. But I would have taken it even if I had to pay. Funny story is I ordered my 250 a week before the 2 week class started thinking it would take at least a month to come in from what the dealerships were saying. During the very first riding day, the dealership called me right in the middle of class to let me know it arrived. :D

Bone_Head311
December 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
i took mine @ 2 weeks after i got my ninja. Its mandatory in florida. Im glad i took it but, it was agony waiting to ride until i got my endorsment

NJD022588
December 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
I took it and it was great! I rode a pregen ninja 250 so it gave me an idea of what my bike would be like. I really wish I could retake it now that I've been riding for a little while.

NICUNinja
December 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Its pretty much mandatory to take the course in Ontario. I'm planning on taking it in the spring. They have a great program through the colleges since we now have this graduated licensing in Canada. I've been told that quite a few don't make it through the program partly because they have never riden and expect to pick it up in the course which is 1 day in the class and 2 days riding, the 3rd riding day is test day. My husband is going to help me with the basics so that I can pick up more in the course and gain my confidence. In the mean time I'm doing a little light reading... "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough. Some great info.

kkim
December 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
In the mean time I'm doing a little light reading... "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough. Some great info. excellent book... I have the follow up, "more proficient motorcycling".

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Yes I took the MSF course four years ago and now I am a certified MSF instructor hear locally. I think it is a valuable tool, even for experienced riders. I know here is SC they will wave your driver course exam if you have your certificate from the intermidiate course or higher. Not a bad deal.

kazam58
December 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
I wanted to take it, but I couldn't. All the classes filled up several MONTHS before they started, and I had decided to get my bike a little too late in the spring. Also, the $140 or whatever it is that they charge here is a little steep for someone like me. I'm thinking about perhaps taking the advanced course in the future, because i'm sure there are some things I have missed while learning to ride. I haven't had any close calls (besides a woman blasting through a red light in an explorer while on her cell, but that would've happened even if i was in a car) because I took it really easy for the first few hundred miles. I followed the break-in procedure for the most part, never really revving above 5k for the first 500 miles, which helped keep me moving a little more slowly and a little more aware. I live on a dead end street, which i rode up and down for several miles learning slow maneuvers and getting a feel for the clutch. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I could still learn from the course though.

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Andy,

When you have the time/$$$, take it. After 40 some odd years, I finally took it and can say it taught me some things that I needed to learn/brush up on. You should never stop learning and always take the opportunity to be open to new ideas, even if you think you couldn't possibly learn another thing. :)

kazam58
December 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
I know, hopefully I'll be able to jump on it next spring. I've managed to work at home for what is normally my summer job so that I can make a few extra dollars in between all of my ski racing. I've been training for 5 days straight now! :eek:
Like I said, I really wanted to take it, I just couldn't. In addition I have no one here who could teach me how to ride, so I know for a fact that there are aspects of riding that I have missed. Though I did have to wait a month for my ninja, so I have to wonder where all the others who bought them are???

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
I guess lucky for me the military pays for it since they make it mandatory to have to ride on base!

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I guess lucky for me the military pays for it since they make it mandatory to have to ride on base!

Yes, same here.

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, same here.

What branch and what do ya do? I am in the Air Guard now..radar tech with the 245th ATCS.

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Actually the agency I'm with shares resources with the local Navy base (PMRF), so we were extended the same courtesy as anyone assigned or working on base.

I was a radar repairman in the 150 ACW Radar group for the Air Guard in Hawaii, though, which is how I got my electronics training a few years ago. :)

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Actually the agency I'm with shares resources with the local Navy base (PMRF), so we were extended the same courtesy as anyone assigned or working on base.

I was a radar repairman in the 150 ACW Radar group for the Air Guard in Hawaii, though, which is how I got my electronics training a few years ago. :)

Awsome...yea I work for the FAA Federal Aviation Administration here as an electronics tech. I will have twenty in the guard this year and will decide then if I want to stay in or call it quits.

kkim
December 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Stay in... you're over halfway there, right? retirement bennies.:D

I got out after my initial 6. :)

G250RSC
December 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Stay in... you're over halfway there, right? retirement bennies.:D

I got out after my initial 6. :)

I will stay in for now..need the money. We can retire at 20 years but can not draw a check till age 59. But as you may know our retirement pay is based on rank, years and points. Points being how many drills or active duty days you pull. I want to make E-9 then I will quit.

Angel-be-Good
January 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
Never rode a motorbike before MSF. Took the class in March and haven't crashed/dropped yet!

GreezMunky
January 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yes I took it, as mandated by the DoD. Unfortunely it was in mid/end Sept when I decided to take it and the last 2 classes the AF was willing to pay for was during the week and there was no way they were going to let me take leave from work to go take the MSF. Oct is when our fiscal year starts back up and when they have to get spending money approved etc etc. So Oct 5th I took the course and coughed up the $190. I got my bike on the 23rd, after that the motorcycle guy on base e-mailed everyone to let them know money was approved for us to take the course again. By that time though I had already been riding around for a few hundred miles. I'm glad I'm impatient or else I might have just been sitting in my garage staring at my new bike. :(

MSF gave me enough confidence after never riding a motorcycle before and being terrified of them (I have two quite nasty exhaust burns on my body. one from a dirt bike, the other from a sport bike) that I was able to just hop on the bike the day I got it and take off down the street and around the neighborhood. :D

SF-Dug
January 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yes and I took it. I am glad I took the class and I feel it has given me a heads up. I also read David L. Hough's book called "Proficient Motorcycling" which is just a treasure trove of riding wisdom and basic street rider tips.

g21-30
January 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yes and I took it. I am glad I took the class and I feel it has given me a heads up. I also read David L. Hough's book called "Proficient Motorcycling" which is just a treasure trove of riding wisdom and basic street rider tips.
Same here on the book. A friend at work also recommended "Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" by Lee Parks. It is an excellent one.

littlemike
January 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I took the class last September because I never rode a motorcycle before and it was a good incentive to convince my wife I could get a bike. Heck I made my wife took the class with me and after we both pass the class she wanted to go buy a bike a that moment !! :eek: We both had a great time and met other riders during the process.

A couple of weeks after the class, I got myself a green 250r and my wife got a 250cc Kymco GrandVista scooter. :thumbup:

The only bad part was the price, it cost $400 for both of us to take the class :(

BlackKarma
January 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Yep! The MSF course should be by law...I'm not one of those save people from themselves.But,It's just like a good gun safety course.Alot of young kids go out and get a 1000cc bike and wrap it round a tree...You got to know which end of the barrel to point downrange!:thumbup:

Sound Wave
January 3rd, 2009, 11:08 PM

yeah, great book. i also read "sport riding techiques" by nick ienatsch. that was a pretty good book too.

i took the msf course. the closest to a motorcycle i had ridden before the course was a moped 20 years ago. after the 2 1/2 day course, i was able to ride. great course!

only thing is that i basically failed the box figure 8 section. now and then i practice it with my ninja. still can't consistently do it. not sure what i am doing wrong.

g21-30
January 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
only thing is that i basically failed the box figure 8 section. still can't consistently do it.

Check this out. It helped me with the Box:

7zhFXfX4bl4

Erin_S
January 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Haven't yet... having a hard time justifying the cost. I might be able to afford it in a couple months. I've just been learning by jumping on my bike and heading out to any road that looks twisty on google maps...

barrypz
January 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I took the course sponsored by the Navy in 1975. It was a requirement to ride on the base.
Barry

HKr1
January 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
After 40 some odd years, I finally took it and can say it taught me some things that I needed to learn/brush up on.

So, you can teach an old dog new tricks :boink:

kkim
January 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
So, you can teach an old dog new tricks :boink:

yep, yep, yep, yep!! :doggy:

OldGuy
January 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I took my MSF before I bought my bike. Never having had a motorcycle before I wasn't sure if this was something I really wanted to do of if it was just an Old Guy's dream. I decided that the $120 at the local community college was a pretty good investment especially since the couple of folks at the office that ride said the local DMV guys liked to bust chops on the ride test and most people didn't get a pass on the first time.

After the first session I was sure of two things; I wanted to get a bike and it wasn't going to be a cruiser style. Having been a road bicycle rider the cruiser just didn't feel right where the Ninja felt a lot like being on my road bike.

Best investment of time and money. Two other good investments are David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" (Second Edition) and "Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist II"

Late this year or next year I will probably take the Advanced Course they offer.

Have fun and ride safe.

Sound Wave
January 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Check this out. It helped me with the Box:

7zhFXfX4bl4

thanks! i will try that next time.

MrTiddles
January 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I got my bike later in the year and most of the classes were booked up, but as soon as it's warm again, I'm there.

OldGreg
January 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I just signed up for one... but now it'll be a long wait until 3/27 (1st day of class). I guess i'll shop for some MORE GEAR in the mean time! :D

Lurkable
January 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I took in here in California. It was definitely worth the $250 especially for someone like me who had never even taken a seat on a motorcycle before the class. Waiving the driving test at the DMV is a huge bonus too. My instructors agreed on the theory of 2 kinds of riders - those who've dropped their bike and those who will. If nothing else, it gave me someone in a position of authority to prove wrong...4000 miles later on my first bike and I'm still fighting the good fight. ;)

cwb48
January 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yup. I actually took the course about 18 years ago with my son Gabe, who was required to take it to get his motorcycle license. I had recently started riding again after a fairly long hiatus (I originally started in 1969), and I figured that the refresher wouldn't hurt. I guess it didn't, since I haven't had a single incident on 4 different bikes in those 18 years.

I really took all of the safety stuff to heart- all the gear, etc, don't trust the mirrors alone, you all know the drill. I would feel too exposed now if I rode without full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, and that certainly wasn't true when I started.

But the old fool rambles on... it's raining a cold rain here, and a sunny ride up to Camp David seems a long way off, but the days are getting longer now, so with any luck it won't be far off.

Chris

ARc
January 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
It was great for someone like me who had no exposure to motorcycles whatsoever. My first experience was behind a family friend while he tore down a mountain on a tricked out scooter. That made me realize I really liked riding. But to my dismay, no one I knew back home had a bike or knew someone that rode. So shelling out $150 (its cheaper for kids under 21) let me on the seat of a motorcycle, taught me the basics of motorcycle operation and safety, and most importantly, how to ride safely.

How it worked for me was class was on Wednesdays while Saturdays we got on the "range" with Suzuki GS125's or Kawasaki Eliminator Cruisers. Wednesday sucked because all he did was split us into groups and read about motorcycling. Saturday was super fun because we got to ride. Started with friction zone control, moving onto powerwalking, and then into getting moving from a stop. The pace which they teach at is pretty fast, but if you can keep up, by the end of the first day you'll be riding so much better. The test that they make you do at the end is pretty easy, so I recommend everyone do it! After you pass you get a card that will lower your insurance and make you eligible for a 15% discount off purchases at Cycle Gear (for the first time only I think, so make sure you get something expensive like a helmet or jacket >_<)

sprale
January 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
I just took the $80 advanced class from MotoFun. It met the states requirements. The instructor was cool. I didn't really learn much, other than to check my blind spots more in traffic. Panic braking, emergency maneuvers, etc...

They had a little road course-type track laid out as a final test. The bikes there included an R1, a Triumph Triple, a pair of 600's, a R1150GS and an old R75. I went after a few and was able to toss my Ninjette around the tight turns quicker than anyone else :) I think I may have embarrassed someone who spent much more on a sportbike because they thought it was faster.

KnoxNinja
January 21st, 2009, 06:34 AM
I always do things the hard way. The course is $225 down here, so it was either MSF or gear at the time. I might take it this year to iron out all the bad habits I've probably taught myself.

xTKx
January 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
A big yes from me. I had very little experience on motorcycles and it was also a condition that my wife set if I was serious about purchasing my first bike. The MSF course was AWESOME and our instructor was really cool (which made it even better).

The only bad thing about my experience: I took it last summer here in central TX. With temperatures peaking in the low 100's it wasn't particularly fun. Also, I got a crazy bad sunburn on my face (yes, even through the helmet's visor--and especially when we had our helmets off), so when I took the pic for my license I looked like an absolute goofball with my bad sunburn...

travis5018
January 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Yes, its the only way to get a endorsement in Florida now-a-days. and noone wants the $500 felony of being caught riding without the endorsement

CC Cowboy
January 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
I didn't take the course but both of my sons took it. They said I was too old and feeble. It might be the training wheels on my bike that turned them off. I think it is a great course and all riders should do it ( at least for the fun factor, I laughed my ass off at some of the people who really shouldn't be on a bike). I have a friend that has had a few bikes but hasn't ridden in years. He bought a on-off road Kawi and has put two hundred miles on his yard (4 acre yard) but is afraid to hit the street. I keep telling him to take the course then I'll take him on some back roads with no traffic (like I did with TrueFaith).

kkim
January 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
I keep telling him to take the course then I'll take him on some back roads with no traffic (like I did with TrueFaith). :eek: :runaway:

Criomega
January 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
I took the class a few months ago again (after years) just to be along side my wife. I rode the busa to the class all 3 days and had alot of people scratching there heads. at the end of the class I was asked to be an instructor for the new classes this spring. They get $460 to run the 3 day class (Fri night, all day Sat., all day Sun.)

WestCoast
January 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
I heard that the dmv test was hard so I took the MSF course after 5 months of motorcycling experience. Passed it with no problem. Out of curiosity I went to the DMV to check out their test and did it for fun. It wasn't hard at all, at first it was hard, but after 10 minutes of practice, I got it down. You had to utilize counter steering at low speed, it can be difficult and intimidating at first but now I could do the DMV test no problem.

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Taking the MSF class next week/end, YAY!!

It's 3 days in a row here in NC. Friday 6-9pm then Saturday and Sunday 7am (ouch!)-4:30pm at a local community college. Upon completion, they give you a certificate saying you passed the driving test which you take to the DMV. Then, do the writing test and voila! You have a moto license! :nod:

Alex
February 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Good luck Nani!

:jumping40: :outlaw2:

OldGuy
February 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Alright Nani - know that you will do great. We'll be waiting to hear how you liked it.

Criomega
February 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM

It's 3 days in a row here in NC. Friday 6-9pm then Saturday and Sunday 7am (ouch!)-4:30pm at a local community college. Upon completion, they give you a certificate saying you passed the driving test which you take to the DMV. Then, do the writing test and voila! You have a moto license! :nod:

Its the exact same here. I took it with my wife just for fun. They asked me to come back this year and teach the class. I'm really thinking about doing it as it almost $500 for the weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Those $500 sound good for something you consider fun!!

In regards to the class, I'll keep everybody posted... :D

Countrygirl
February 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM
We don't actually have the MSF courses up here.
But I did take a course that's essentially exactly the same thing.
Had a decent amount of previous experience on dirt bikes and still found it very helpful.

Really? Where in Alberta are you. In Calgary there are quite a few. I took my course with "Too Cool Motorcycle School" (http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/index.php?id=1). They are a great crew and hilarious! I'll be taking a refresher course at the end of March just for more road practice and to make sure I didn't forget anything from the summer. :)

Sound Wave
February 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
nani, do you already have your learner's permit for the motorcycle? if not, then you would also need to get that.

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
nani, do you already have your learner's permit for the motorcycle? if not, then you would also need to get that.

I called the DMV about that. Lady said since I already have a regular car license and am over 18yrs of age then upon completing the driving course and passing the written test I'll get a regular moto license.

One of my co-workers just went through that process about 2mo. ago and he never had to get a learner's permit... could that be an NC thing?

Sound Wave
February 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
could that be an NC thing?

OR..... having to get the learner's permit along with the MSF course could be a hawaii thing. :)

edit: oh wait. i re-read your post. the "written test" is the learner's permit portion. i didn't have my permit at the time of the MSF course. i took my waiver to DMV and then took the written permit test and they gave me my license the same day.

jpnfrk
February 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
OR..... having to get the learner's permit along with the MSF course could be a hawaii thing. :)

edit: oh wait. i re-read your post. the "written test" is the learner's permit portion. i didn't have my permit at the time of the MSF course. i took my waiver to DMV and then took the written permit test and they gave me my license the same day.

:nod:

Criomega
February 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Here in Michigan you get the permit if you haven't taken the course but want to ride with another licensend rider. You have to ride within 250' at all times or something like that. Thats the only reason I can think you want/need a permit.

NJD022588
February 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Those are long days. I took it at a local community college and we had 4 hours for the first day (classroom) and 4.5 hours each for the two riding days (on the range).

Purspeed
February 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I took it! It helped me get my license and lowered my insurance, at the time.

I also have a dvd - Ride Like a Pro (http://www.ridelikeapro.com) - that helped out a lot too!

+1

To me, learning to master slow speed (less than 29 mph) maneuvering is where it's at. I envy those who get to take the highway patrol motors courses and if you ever see those guys, it's very impressive.

BlueTyke's video recommendation is right on.

Back to the topic at hand, I took the MSF course, but felt it was only a very brief introduction. Very brief.

A car requires about 1200 inputs an hour whereas a motorcycle requires about 5300 inputs per hour. Countersteering, keeping on gas, body-steering, target fixation, not looking at the ground or handlebars are all counter intuitive and unnatural.

Since your survival reactions kick in, a rider needs to understand the physics of a bike as well as the technical skills needed to properly operate.

I think that a state-paid class for riding that takes riders all the way to advanced riding would be helpful for keeping riding fun and safe.

Most collisions can be avoided. Most riders don't understand why the bike does what it does. That makes for a bad combo...:)

Beast
February 20th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yes over here too. No way was I taking the DMV circle of doom. I tried it on my Vespa for fun and I couldn't even do it on that hahaha.

Someone in my class got on the throttle instead of the brake and crashed the Rebel into a fence. This is the same guy I was talking to earlier that told me he wants to get an "R6 or somethin".

After he crashed I went up to him and said, "If you think that's bad, try chopping the throttle on an R6, freaking out and chopping it some more...it's not going to end pretty"

There's always one of "those" in every class. Anyone else experience the local idiot syndrome during your course?

kkim
February 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM
My class was the advanced riders course on a military base. Guys were pretty much dead serious with years of riding experience. Most squidly guy was one of the instructors, actually.

Sound Wave
February 20th, 2009, 12:33 AM
There's always one of "those" in every class. Anyone else experience the local idiot syndrome during your course?

well, the instructor was asking everyone what type of experience they had, and what type of bike they planned on getting. there was one guy who said that he had NO experience but had just gotten a gsxr-1000 that he bought but hadn't ridden yet. he was waiting to complete the course first.

the instructor told him, "yeah good idea. start off small." lol.

we were broken up into two groups and he wasn't in mine, so i don't know how well he did, but he did pass the course.

kkim
May 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
:bump:

Snake
May 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
No, I have been riding since I was very young and I had some great teachers.
Although I would like to take a more advanced ridding course because you can always learn more.

kkim
May 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
They have all different levels of the MSF course. I took the ERC last year and it was the first time in my life taking a MSF course. Learned a few things (a lot actually) even after 40 years of riding bikes.

Snake
May 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Cool, I will have to look into it.
Thank you.

sombo
May 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Doesn't matter how long you've been riding the class (even the basic) benifits all riders. In the class I took in PA (MSF course paid for by Penndot thanks to being a PA licensed driver) we had several students that had been riding for years and even they said they learned things they never realized they were doing wrong thanks to the basic course.

If you live in a state where you can take the courses for free I 100% suggest taking full advantage of that and take all the courses you can, basic, advanced and if they have sportbike training for free as well, take that one too.

So far I've only taken the basic course and then moved before I could take the advanced up in PA I moved to FL. I'll see what their policies on the courses here are when I get the chance.

kappuru
May 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I took the MSF this weekend, just for the insurance discount and making the licensing process easier-- in my state (VA) you just take the completion card to the DMV and pick up the plastic license, no written or skills test necessary.

The class was a bit boring at parts but I'd still recommend it, even some of the drills where I thought I'd be fine I could use improvement on, I also learned I have some not too great habits (2-finger braking)...

wyckedflesh
May 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Multiple times, not to mention that it was a Job Requirement (had to be able to pass the skills test only tighter confines)

tiburonsita
May 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yes. Was my first time ever riding a bike and what better way to learn than from people with years of experience who enjoy teaching their passion. Had great instructors and the class was a lot of fun. To my surprise, having taken the course, I got a discount on insurance.

CANTFUNCTION
May 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yes I taken the MSF class. I took it bcause for one thing I didn't want to learn form a freind which might give me the wrong info. And after talking to a lot of older riders they all said I should take the class. The class was small 7 people and 2 instructors. I think in about year I will thank the advanced class. Did I learn any thing? Yes. Would I encourage other to take the class? Hell yea.

krazygluon
May 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

Back in Kentucky (where I originally got my permit/license/msf course) it was a 30 day waiting period between permit and license, no matter how you chose to get your road test done.

I scheduled my MSF course and ran down to the county clerk office to take the written test the same day, then as soon as my 30 days were up (about 2 wks after taking the BRC) I walked in, gave them the completion certificate and walked out with the license.

Michigan's SOS was nice enough to directly transfer the cycle endorsement when I moved up here, no retest necessary.

Anybody know if the ERC adds a further discount to insurance? Mine is laughably cheap right now but I figure any little savings would let me increase the comp/collision/etc coverage.

Elfling
May 23rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Yep, took it. Have to for getting your license in FL anyways, but I would recommend taking it even if that's not the case; I learned *soo* much from it. Even my experienced boyfriend said he learned a lot from taking it.

CodE-E
May 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Getting driving licenses here in Austria is quite hard and expensive. One's gotta do all of the following:

A) Visit a driving school where one learns the theory (~8 hours for the motorcycling part).
B) Pass a multiple-choice exam. The general part has a set of around 1000 questions, and the motorcycle-specific part has around 600. Passing requirement: >= 80%.
C) Take driving lessons with an instructor. For motorcycling, 2 hours of practicing basics with an instructor on a closed car park (driving around cones, doing 8s, switching between 1st and 2nd), and 8 hours of riding on public roads, are mandatory.
D) Get a health check-up at a doctor. (Just a quick check if your eyesight is okay, if your general hand-eye coordination is working properly, if you've got enough strength in your arms, and that you're generally fit enough to ride).
E) Pass the driving exam. This consists of two parts. i) Performing a sequence of pre-determined riding maneuvers on a closed course: U-turn, riding two 8s with a noticeable lean angle while keeping a good line (i.e. don't drift away from the cones), emergency swerve maneuver at 50+ km/h, slalom around cones placed at 4 meter distances apart, and finally an emergency stop from 50+ km/h within something like 12 meters. ii) If one demonstrates proficiency at these maneuvers, one gets examined riding on public roads for about half an hour. Basically, the examiner tells you to ride a particular route, and follows behind you in a car and notes down any mistakes you make.
F) After E) one gets the license, but after about 6 months one has to visit a 1-day course at a special training course where one goes over safety maneuvers and some more advanced stuff (for example, braking in wet conditions). One isn't tested there, but one's gotta attend.

I failed the first time at E) ii) because I didn't make any checks over my right shoulder when I overtook bicyclists and trucks. Checking only my mirrors wasn't enough. Yup, the exam is anally strict. So I took a few more driving lessons, and then passed the exam two weeks later on the 2nd attempt.

And all that stuff is damn expensive. Driving schools are a real business here in Austria, because they're mandatory by law. In total, getting my unrestricted motorcycle license cost me about €1200! And it took about 2 months, because I had to wait several weeks before I could take lessons, due to cold weather conditions. >_< It sucks, but therefore drivers and motorcyclists over here are generally well-disciplined and I guess not all too many people get killed on the roads.

BlueRaven
May 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
I took the Gearing up course in NB. Our literature and videos were from MSF so i believe it is a sister course.

krazygluon
May 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
It sucks, but therefore drivers and motorcyclists over here are generally well-disciplined and I guess not all too many people get killed on the roads.

Precisely why German drivers can do 220+km/h on the Autobahn and maintain a lower fatality rate than the US, as they have a similar program for auto and motorcycle licensing.

Personally I'd love to see the same thing stateside, and its kinda going that way bit by bit when I think about how licensing was for my dad vs for me vs for my cousins who are just 8 years younger than I am.

kazam58
May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Precisely why German drivers can do 220+km/h on the Autobahn and maintain a lower fatality rate than the US, as they have a similar program for auto and motorcycle licensing.

Personally I'd love to see the same thing stateside, and its kinda going that way bit by bit when I think about how licensing was for my dad vs for me vs for my cousins who are just 8 years younger than I am.

I have to disagree with the idea that getting a license in the US is becoming more difficult. A trained monkey could've passed the test when I took it, which is less than two years ago. I also passed the motorcycle endorsement test after learning to ride on my own with flying colors. The only thing I missed was the u-turn, by an inch, and I hadn't been on a bike for more than two months. It scares me to think how little you have to know and how badly you can do and still walk away with a license for a car or a bike.
For some reason, driver's in Europe are rather insane. There's less crashes, less drunk driving and all that, but they're maniacs. Whenever I visit Czech I see some scary stuff going down on the roads. I'd be a lot more hesitant to ride a bike there than I am here.

NaughtyusMaximus
May 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I took the equivalent here in Vancouver. It was a week long course, with two ~3-4hr total (with stops) road rides after all the parking lot fun. The name of the place was 'Pro Ride', and the quality was very high.

smcbride11
May 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I took the BRC last September because now in RI it's the only way you can get an endorsement. Subsidized to $99 it was a spectacular deal - except when I registered in April, 9/19 was the earliest date I could get. Grrrr.

Great class - it helped immensely... especially since it was my first time on a bike (outside of a 20' throttle-less rocket ride on my buddy's R1 years ago). My only complaint would be that I felt the classroom time was useless - we read the book and watched the MSF video, and then took the test. For the time spent, I'd rather do that stuff at home and have them add 5 hours to the range time of the class.

Either way, it was money very well spent - I'm planning to take the Intermediate course they offer early this summer.

ScorpionNinja
May 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I took my MSF class in Oct. 2008!

I passed it easy, i think only like 2 ppl Failed (outta 100).
This one middle aged chick failed, and cried... afew of us Told her she did good, but just needed more practice, and that she Looked Sooo much better Riding at the End of Day 3, then the First time on the bikes! Just Keep it up and youll Pass next Class NP! It seemed too cheer her up. As i felt bad for her.

Yea though... MSF does a Fun and Good job... so that if you Never even ridden a Bicycle... youll be ready for a motorcycle on the Road in 3 days!

Here in Michigan, MSF class was ONLY $25.00 :thumbup:

My Braking (both brakes during Panic stops) seemed too be my Weak point, but i told the instuctor its the Bikes Fault for not having Good Brakes! He Laughed!

The Bikes we used were all 125cc 80-85' Honda's, NightHawk, CRB (or sumin like that)

krazygluon
June 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Took my ERC on last Sunday. State subsidized in MI to $25

Can't say I was terrifically impressed. Virtually every range exercise we did was something I did in my BRC. Every word I heard in the classroom exercise was something I heard in the BRC as well.

Either I had one hell of a BRC in kentucky, or this place basically gave a refresher course instead of an advanced course.

What was I expecting? how to really deal with rain,snow,locked rear brakes, and other things the BRC shied away from, how to handle heavier bikes, touchier throttles. advanced training on particularly sticky situations.

ninjablk08
June 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
yes and it was well worth it, getting wife to do her soon , and i lucked out cause my work paid for it

Grn99Kawi
June 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
havent taken it and I probably wont. I dont find riding (especially on the 250) to be all that difficult. Add to that the fact that the MSF course here is $350 and at least a month or two wait.. no thanks... if it was even $100 maybe.. but for $350.. not worth it IMO no matter what they teach you. It sucks because I was really looking forward to taking it, and getting real world strategies for handling 'problems' .. and forget about insurance savings.. thats what I pay for a whole year of coverage for mine...

I wish it was subsidized in some way..

sombo
June 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Get a PA license and take the course in PA for free. :D

Elfling
June 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM
havent taken it and I probably wont. I dont find riding (especially on the 250) to be all that difficult. Add to that the fact that the MSF course here is $350 and at least a month or two wait.. no thanks... if it was even $100 maybe.. but for $350.. not worth it IMO no matter what they teach you. It sucks because I was really looking forward to taking it, and getting real world strategies for handling 'problems' .. and forget about insurance savings.. thats what I pay for a whole year of coverage for mine...

You can find the course/instructor's book online and at least run through the exercises yourself on day in a parking lot- I know people who have done that and said it was really useful.

G250RSC
June 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I encourage everyone to take the course even if you are experienced. I am currently an MSF Instructor in SC. MSF is now working on a Sport Bike Class geared toward just Sportbikes. Instructing on high speed cornering and turns. The class should be out shortly.

backinthesaddleagain
June 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, is required in RI. When you finish the range course and pass you get your permit. Keep out of trouble for 30 days and go back to dmv and you get your license. Realize they have to teach to least common denominator, but they should break the range course down to those who have never ridden and those who have. Not to say i didn't learn anything new - I did. But no sense spending 10 minutes walking bike back and forth in 1st gear.

Craziest thing I thought is when they had us going around the course they had us all within INCHES of each others' tires. Never told us to spread it out. Just told the lead guy to speed up. They put anyone in the lead including the least experienced person. If the lead guy ever went down (which he didn't) the whole pack would have crashed.

Classroom teacher was great she kept it going good as it was a one day 8 hr lecture.

Red'09250
June 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
yep, took it right after buying my bike

it was good for basic operation and handling of a bike, but i think it left us unprepared for street riding. i had to learn how to really turn by going out on the street. wish they would have let us practice higher-speed turns and stops.

Duvivr6
June 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I took it you need it in the AF to ride on base!

It got monotonous after a while is damn to long and boring should be a 1 day course not 15 hours!

ironglory
June 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
The last time I was on these toys was 20 yrs ago & I felt that its a good idea to be reacquainted with these toys maturely. Its cheaper than learning it the hard way, I think. Another plus side was the ease of acquiring a license than otherwise. All I did was present the completion card to DMV & thats it. No questions asked.

Its like having a back stage pass for a Journey or Rod Stewart Concert.

www.smartridermsp.com

I had the opportunity to attend the class with them & I recommend them. Great crew!

Enjoy the ride safely. GB2All.

tinng321
June 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Took the course 8 yrs ago.
Don't remember much.
All i remember is it was informative and helpful.
Brake before enter corner and roll at exit.
Definitely a good course to take if you have never ridden and would like to learn the basic safty skills. It would also take away some of the pressure off your shoulder cuz after completing the course at lease you know how to start the bike and what to check for before you ride.

Graphic Twist
June 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I have not taken it yet... But I'm scheduled to start it next Thursday

ironglory
June 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
The mind is like a parachute, if you open it it'll save your life.

For those who thinks its expensive or your too old or got experience...

Having been to a class myself, I strongly endorse it. Besides just think of the love ones you hold dear in your hearts - do it for them.

Be cool & safe.

Momaru
June 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Took it because some friends were going and thought I'd like to learn. It's what finally got me hooked on motorcycles, knowing (sorta) how to ride. I enjoyed the course immensely (taught @ a local community college in Radford, Virginia) even though the first 'on-bike' day had some torrential downpour and I spent the day soaked. Spent the weekend learning on a Rebel, but got some time on the loaner pre-gen ninja 250 before I left and fell in love.

addy126
June 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yep took the MSF course in Dallas, Tx. Excellent refresher and the best "unknown" tip to me was..... "Look through the turn"! I hadn't a clue prior and it sure makes a difference even in parking lots.:D

mr.niftie
June 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
The Sheridan college course was great!

2WheelGuy
June 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
No I haven't taken it. There was no such thing when I got my first motorcycle license in 1983.

kkim
June 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
No I haven't taken it. There was no such thing when I got my first motorcycle license in 1983.

And they didn't have it when I got my MC license in 1970, but I took the ERC class last year and have to say I'm convinced no matter how long you've been riding, you owe it to yourself to take the course.

NJD022588
June 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Took it because some friends were going and thought I'd like to learn. It's what finally got me hooked on motorcycles, knowing (sorta) how to ride. I enjoyed the course immensely (taught @ a local community college in Radford, Virginia) even though the first 'on-bike' day had some torrential downpour and I spent the day soaked. Spent the weekend learning on a Rebel, but got some time on the loaner pre-gen ninja 250 before I left and fell in love.

Did you take it at New River CC? I took it there and got to ride a pre-gen ninja 250 for the class.

Momaru
June 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Exactly so. I had to ask get some pre-gen time as I wasn't there early enough to claim one of them for the whole training run.
Did you take it at New River CC? I took it there and got to ride a pre-gen ninja 250 for the class.

matteblack
June 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I took the beginner MSF about 8 years ago in SF, CA. It was really easy to get the M endorsement after taking the course. I for sure learned skills that I continue to use today like scanning the horizon and not fixating. I have to brag too, because I aced both the written and riding test at the end.

Sailariel
June 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Since I have been riding for 40+ years, I signed up for the advaned course. Will let you all know how that went. Will be taking it after I have my eye surgery next month. Am not riding or driving much till the eye gets fixed. Riding a bicycle a lot.

mfmclain
June 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I just took my course in Westfield, MA this past weekend (June 19-21). Besides the ungodly hours they were keeping (7AM start time, had to be there for 6:45 and I have a 1.5 hour drive. Not fun getting up at 4:30AM, but it was the closest course) I had a blast and learned a lot. The instructors were real nice, and one of my coaches has even written a book on riding, called Riding in the Zone. Overall I feel like I am going to be a much safer rider out on the streets. Obviously I have much more to learn, but it's nice to have the basics.

Obsidian
June 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Took the free military version. All day long and it was hot as hell. I left with a lot more knowledge though.

shift_6
June 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
wsupp i figured i would post a quick review of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) BRC Course. I took it at STHD with STAR (Southern Tier Academy of Riding) up in Binghamton. Course cost $275 and you had to supply your own helmet, long sleeve shirt and ankle high boots. i rode in full gear, borrowed some stuff from clutch, and used my scorpion exo-700 helmet i bought.

STHD provided 250cc bikes to ride on: suzuki gz250. a standard bike. there were 2 instructors, and 12 students in my class. about half were women riders. some people had motorcross/dirt bike experience and others already had their license and wanted to refresh/learn again.

1st day - only about 3 hours, went over the booklet, such as type of motorcycles, dangers of riding, etc. also reviewed concepts of pre ride inspection and how to start up the motorcycle. also watched some videos on motorcycle control.

2nd day - 8am-6pm - wow what a day. 8 hours spent out on the range on the motorcycles, 2 hours indoors watching more videos. out on the range (big parking lot basically) started off with learning the clutch 'friction zone' (if you drive stick, u should know what this is already), paddle walking the bike across the lot, turning, slalom thru cones, upshifting, emergency braking, straightening up the bike, counter-steering, decreasing radius turns. put about 10 miles on the bike the first day. that's a lot of miles to rack up in a parking lot. at the end of the day, they gave the written exam, which was really easy if u paid attention the first day and have common sense. got a 96/100. the two questions i got wrong were the two i fell asleep for after lunch for a couple minutes. everyone in the class got 90+

3rd day - 8am-4pm - spent all outdoors, this was probably the most fun day of the course because everyone was getting more comfortable on the bikes, and all the muscle memory from the day before had time to settle in. learned to swerve, do figure 8's, emergency braking, downshifting, even got the bikes into 3rd gear. the test of "celebration of skill" consisted of 3 things
1- figure 8's in the box
2 - getting bike into 2nd gear, swerving, stopping/downshifting
3 - getting bike into 2nd gear, emergency stop/downshift (stop distance was measured)

definitely a good course to take if you never did it. it's better to learn all the good habits from the start before you develop bad ones, and this course can definitely help implement that. the instructors were really nice/friendly and everyone in the class was friendly. by the end of the second day on the bike i was already starting to lean it in the corners

[i found this pic off kawiforums]
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9681/msfguideb.jpg

kkim
June 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM

P1NDLESK1N
June 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Yeah $350 sucks. A lot. A whole lot. :mad:
Unfortunately it was the only way I could get my license, since I didn't know any other riders to ride with under my permit.

The BasicRidersCourse here teaches you from knowing nothing, to normal riding. All those course exercises shift_6 just posted are the same here, and then at the end they test you on them.

If you can ride already, take an advanced or track course I guess.

edit: On a funny related note, on the cornering exercise I ground off the peg bottom on the little Kawasaki Eliminator 125. My instructor wasn't too happy. :cool:

Grn99Kawi
June 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I was riding in a group today... went down Ocean Parkway, jones beach, OBI etc... I think I might see if I can get in the MSF this summer.. I'd really like to take it... despite the cost..

CLSully826
June 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM
To get your license in Iowa, you can either take the MSF basic rider class or take a riding test with the DOT. I opted for the class as I figured it would help me much as a rider than just taking a test. The class teaches you a lot of stuff, even if you've been riding for a while.

Has anyone taken the advanced MSF class? I've heard that it may help lower your insurance rates...?

nate-bama
June 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
In Alabama all you need for a license is a $5 dollar written test (20 q's) and a 18 buck picture fee

COMMON SENSE goes real far

kkim
June 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
In Alabama all you need for a license is a $5 dollar written test (20 q's) and a 18 buck picture fee

may I ask why you've not taken it?

seis gunnar
June 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I took it last week. Mostly because in MN if your over 18 and have your permit, you can get your endorsement quickly and easily. It cost me $160, for one day of class room, about 4 hours, and 2 days, again about 4 hours each day, in the parking lot.

For me I think the biggest value was having an experienced motorcyclist, giving me pointers and telling me I could do the various maneuvers better. It also sold me on the fact I chose a ninjette for my first bike, instead of the dual sport 250 they had me on.

nate-bama
June 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Well sure you can for one id probably have to drive a hour and if its that close id be suprised, and im 29 years old and been riding for a long time so it would really be pointless to ride circles in a parking lot.. oh and i dont know where the nearest parking lot is. Now this is just me anyone buying their first bike definetly should.

nate-bama
June 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Common Sense will take you far though

capt_bugaloo
June 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I took the equivalent sort of course from the Vancouver Island Safety Council back in March 1992. I didn't know anything about riding when I took it, and I found it very good. I would highly recommend such a course to anyone taking up riding.

ninjabrewer
June 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM

I lived in LA for four yrs (Lower Alabama)

no comment

nate-bama
June 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

I lived in LA for four yrs (Lower Alabama)

no comment

What did you not enjoy living in AL?

Ari Nova
June 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Not only did I take it, I have to take it again :)

kkim
June 30th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Welcome, Ari... why do you need to take it again??

Ari Nova
June 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Welcome, Ari... why do you need to take it again??
Thanks, mainly because I hadn't had much experience on a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle, so I had difficulty balancing in motion, never dropped it or anything, but still. Now I have to get on a bicycle and get my balance down, then go back. Only downside is since I still live with my dad, I can't get my ninja until I pass the friggen course.

kkim
June 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
sorry, but.... smart Dad. :D

Ari Nova
June 30th, 2009, 03:29 AM
sorry, but.... smart Dad. :D
Just because I buy one doesn't mean I'll ride. It's just a peace of mind, so I can stop looking and looking and looking. Bike's that are in great condition, the right color, and the right price, don't come around very often, and when they do, it's not really fun to pass up on it, knowing you have the money on hand. I have no problem at all parking it in the garage and locking the keys in the safe and not just until I pass MSF, but until the certificate of completion comes. However, when you're being threatened with no longer having a bed to sleep in, you don't have much pull.

CC Cowboy
June 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Ari, if you can't ride a bicycle yet maybe you should start with roller skates. It will give you some balance lessons just standing up.

noche_caliente
June 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Nate, I think you should go back and read Kelly's comments on the ERC, and you'll see that you do have a lot that you can gain.

Welcome Ari and Jon!

sombo
June 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Common Sense will take you far though

Common sense and knowing the "proper" way of doing things are two completely different things. In my class I had a few grizzled veterans that were riding longer then you have who learned new things and corrected bad habits they didn't even know they had. Just because you THINK you have common sense (talk about an oxymoron of a term) doesn't mean you won't learn something from the course that could save your life.

nate-bama
June 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM
id sure like to take a course at a track..we all have our own opinions dont we in this case i responded to a question and i gave my two cents

CC Cowboy
June 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Nate, Kevin Schwantz does a school to Barber so you're in luck. Tell us how is was after you go.

nate-bama
June 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
where is that located?

CC Cowboy
June 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.barbermotorsports.com/index2.php?splash=1

http://www.schwantzschool.com/

Birmingham

nate-bama
June 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Nate, Kevin Schwantz does a school to Barber so you're in luck. Tell us how is was after you go.

wow that looks fun..if i could afford that i would most def go, maybe someday

ninjabrewer
June 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
What did you not enjoy living in AL?

Just wasn't that crazy about it. I lived on Ft Rucker, and this is another story, I had the worst weather there. A lot of things I liked, mainly the low cost of living. Summers were blistering. Only place, till I moved to Hawaii, where I went outside on Christmas day and played with my then little girl in shorts and t shirt. Nothing personal.

nb

nate-bama
July 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Just wasn't that crazy about it. I lived on Ft Rucker, and this is another story, I had the worst weather there. A lot of things I liked, mainly the low cost of living. Summers were blistering. Only place, till I moved to Hawaii, where I went outside on Christmas day and played with my then little girl in shorts and t shirt. Nothing personal.

nb

yeah its hot and in some aspects backwards lol im a army brat and former service so ive seen it all well except hawaii

RSman
July 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yes I finished mine on June 14th :D

Our class was excellent! Everyone in the class was of the "beginner" level just about all of us just bought or prospecting a bike. Thanks to Bob and Shirley they made my learning experience fun and engaging. Although I was the shining star of the class, not to brag :o, I am a horrible test taker and choked on the braking portion. My favorite exercise was the double u-turn in the box, took some practice and it quickly became a fav. I'd like to attempt all of the exercises using my ninja, for better feel of control. I look forward to taking the advanced rider course in the near future. Thanks again Bob and Shirley!

http://www.abateofcolo.org/

Talonne
July 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
First post on this forum... :)

I took a similar course here in Calgary (paying $600 for it, so don't complain about $150) and did absolutely horribly. Everyone else in my class was able to go on the road ride at the end of the second day, and I was held back because I had the tendency to drop the bike at stops...

2 EXPENSIVE practice sessions with the instructor later (one on the lot and one on the road), and I'm still doing it, although much less often... I keep losing my balance when the bike leans on my leg. I'm extremely short of inseam (28"), and 30.5" was the lowest seat height they had.

I also really wish they had different classes for those who have had previous riding experience (whether it be street or dirt), and those like me who have never even touched a manual transmission, let alone a motorbike.

Ari Nova: I'm not that great on a bicycle either. I flipped over badly at age 11 and only got back on one this year, at age 26!

Alex
July 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I do feel badly for those folks who start MSF with zero experience with manual transmissions. I'd advise anyone in that boat to convince a (good) friend with a manual transmission car to take you out a couple weekends prior to learn how to drive a stickshift. Once someone has that basic knowledge, translating it to shifting/clutch use on a motorcycle becomes second nature very quickly. IMO it's also a bit easier to use the clutch on a bike as a beginner (compared to a car), as it's typically easier to get the bike rolling from a stop than a car, and the clutch is often much more forgiving. There's much less inertia from the smaller motor, and less weight to get moving as a whole as well.

kkim
July 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
First post on this forum... :)

welcome, Jessica.
:)

Snake
July 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Talonne, sounds like you may want to consider lowering your bike.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

Talonne
July 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Talonne, sounds like you may want to consider lowering your bike.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

I fully intend to do so -- WHEN I get a bike. :) I am not solid enough to try the road test for my license yet, so if I bought a bike, it'd just be sitting around at the dealership since I can't get it home...

The bikes they have at the school are only as low as 30.5" (Honda CBR125) so that's all I have to work with...

Snake
July 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Sorry I failed to read your profile where it says "motorcycles : none yet". My bad.

Ryosen11
July 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Completed and passed the course last weekend!
I got to ride on 09 Ninjette in blue exactly the same as my bike! There were 24 students and the bikes they had for us were Nighthawks, small Suzuki cruisers, small dual bikes and one Ninjette. Many wanted Nighthawk and when the instructor asked me which I prefer, without hesitation I picked the Ninjette. I guess it was meant to be! Second day they replaced my Ninjette with 09 in red which is my excuse for screwing up a little in the "BOX" evaluation:D The course was fun and helpful and I'm glad I took it. Although I've been practicing a lot since I bought my bike a month ago, I feel lot more confident now.

405 freeway here I come!

n4v1n
July 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I took it because: It let me get my license w/o having to do the roadtest, it let me get experience on a bike without owning one at the time, gave me confidence to ride once I got my bike, taught me valuable skills, and it was fun. I have a guide, or rather a cheat sheet of the final exam posted at kawiforums HERE (http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/134969-brief-msf-course-guide.html#post1655586).

Cedilla
July 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM

At least Alabama has a restricted licence program, I got my M class licence when I was 14, but I was restricted under 150cc's until my 16th B-day, then with no retest or anything I had a unrestricted licence.

BlackRain
July 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Never took it. I rode dirtbikes for a very long time, doesnt really mean anything. I already had the controls down since they are the same for street bikes. The obvious difference is riding in traffic.

I have not seen the need for myself to take it, as I did not see myself as a "newb" to riding. When I wanted my M endorsement I went down to the DMV in Virginia, rode around the course and passed.

Nexion
July 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I signed up yesterday at a local community college. August 14th, 15th and 16th. I also have an Icon Mainframe helmet on the way since it was on sale..couldn't resist :p

PeterJasonMN
August 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
If I'm still around the area next year I'll take it. It's $160.00 at my local community college.

istreefitty
August 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM

NB

Thank GOD some one mentioned that. Like I said I am attending the class here on the island because I HATE work and my friend is going through. My first trip through was on the buel blast and this time (with my ninjette) I had been having problems, especially on the "slalom" and the figure 8, untill I figured out that 2nd was much easier to perform in. I would def suggest doing these in 2nd and the tight turns in first (riding the clutch and back break of course). I think this would be very good info for future MSF attenders.

NB I am scheduled for the sport bike course at the end of the year, lots of time to pratice I know, but jut getting a jump on things. Have you taken it???

JaeL
August 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Figure 8 damn!! I'm glad I didn't have to do that. I never took the course. Also we have one county here where to get your license you actually have to do a street test were the instructor follows you in a car with a bull horn.

DarkNinja52
August 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
yup because it was much easier than getting my license through the dmv

great program but wasn't enough training or practice to safely issue a license in my opinion. I think it created a false sense of confidence which may have caused me to fall on sunday.

DarkNinja52
August 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks, mainly because I hadn't had much experience on a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle, so I had difficulty balancing in motion, never dropped it or anything, but still. Now I have to get on a bicycle and get my balance down, then go back. Only downside is since I still live with my dad, I can't get my ninja until I pass the friggen course.

Haha yeaa same here, so i had to make sure I passed. I fell during my course but quickly recovered and stuck with it and did fine.

Just because I buy one doesn't mean I'll ride. It's just a peace of mind, so I can stop looking and looking and looking. Bike's that are in great condition, the right color, and the right price, don't come around very often, and when they do, it's not really fun to pass up on it, knowing you have the money on hand. I have no problem at all parking it in the garage and locking the keys in the safe and not just until I pass MSF, but until the certificate of completion comes. However, when you're being threatened with no longer having a bed to sleep in, you don't have much pull.

I know exactly what you mean, and seeing that beautiful bike in your garage would only be more inspiration to reach your goal! but with parents, rules is rules and I know how that goes. I went to the dealer ever chance I got and just spent 30 minutes sitting on the bike I wanted, i couldnt wait.. then i got my bike and slide across a parking lot.. 2 days ago.. but just practice on the bicycle and keep thinking positively and if your sure about really wanting to do this then things will work out...

Grn99Kawi
August 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Im takin teh MSF next week actually.. $350 here.. and I hear the Canadians speaking about how expensive it was.. was that Canadian dollars?

I also have almost 900miles on my Ninja under my belt.. so while I am not expecting how to 'ride', I want to learn beyond the basics and how to emergency stop.. lane change.. that kind of thing.. I dunno guys and gals.. the dreaded 'friction zone' was nothing to worry about.. and I agree that previous experience with a stick made it a no brainer.. I didn't have any training.. I just hopped on and took it around the block. I also have bicycle experience and PWC experience.. the trickier parts of bikes for me were higher speed turns and panic stops.. JMO of course... Your results may vary. Use only as directed.. consult your physician.

sketch
August 5th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Took the MSF course a couple of weeks ago. Awesome Cycles in Houston. Great people.

I had never ridden a motorcycle before or had much experience with a manual transmission. I was pretty nervous when we first got on the bikes not really knowing what to expect but I ended up doing fine. It definitely helped watching a lot of videos on how to ride and the basics of riding a motorcycle. That way I had some knowledge on how to get started but just had to apply it physically.

The class certainly won't teach you everything but provides you with a safe environment to get some experience with cornering, stopping, etc. I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone looking at starting off on a bike. Now I just need to cut back on some monthly expenses to afford my bike and insurance so I can get my very own Ninjette! Can't wait. It feels like I got addicted just from the limited experience in the MSF course.

andrewexd
August 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I took the MSF course a month ago, Its required if you're under 21 years of age but it was fun... the two guys who teach the riders part were only like 25 though :confused:

kkim
November 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
:bump2:

CZroe
November 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Took mine early last year. H-D Rider's Edge MSF BRC at Great South Harley-Davidson in Newnan, GA (the same one having the chili cook-off). Instructors De and Wes were great.

k1prototype
November 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I took mine passed and then never bought a bike. About 2 years later I finally purchased my bike. I ended up looking up a lot of the techniques again via youtube in order to re-familiarize myself with what I learned.

marsha
November 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Yes, I took it here in FL this August. I'd never driven a motorcycle before & thought this would be the best way to learn. I was very nervous, but fortunately the instructors were FANTASTIC and my fears quickly disappeared. It was money well spent, not to mention it's required now in FL in order to get your motorcycle endorsement.

Justanothermp5
November 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
i took it cuz my parents made me (only 18) lol but it turns out it was actually really easy and pretty fun
i got the highest grade in the riding section in my class :)

CZroe
November 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I took mine passed and then never bought a bike. About 2 years later I finally purchased my bike. I ended up looking up a lot of the techniques again via youtube in order to re-familiarize myself with what I learned.

I think that was Noche Caliente's story too.

shellneil
November 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM
:thumbup:d:thumbup:eff was the best thing i did, it tough me first off how to even ride a bike, i couldnt even get it into 1st gear when i got there, taught me many safety things as well, things that have saved my a$$ numerous.....i'm taking the advanced next month.........oh yeah gave me my license also!!

jcgirl
November 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I took the Learn to Ride course here on the island. It's pricey, running just over $500. Totally worth it though. 2 evenings in a classroom going over all the theory and two full days on the bikes. I learned so much!!! Would recommend it to anyone else like me who had never tried to ride a bike before.

danknation
November 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I didn't bother with it, mainly because I did not have an extra $190 to spend. One of my friends just took it a few weekends ago and all the stuff he told me he learned seemed like common sense. I know a lot of you say it will reduce my chances of going down but I just don't plain belive it.

If you have never ridden anything before then take it, if you know how to work a clutch and understand vehicles then don't waste the money. I had a bit of dirt experience and enough time as a motorhead to get myself started. As a matter of fact, I was able to find videos on youtube illustrating all of their practice techniques and just replicated them myself in an empty parking lot, for $200 cheaper then what they wanted.

Allen
November 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Took the MSF about 14 months ago after not riding for about 10 years. I had about 20 years previous experience. Glad I did. It teaches more than what you learn. It teaches you TO LEARN. I've read several books also to continue my learning. You have to be careful about new bike riding methodology. As my instructor said "Practice does not make perfect,,,,,,,,,,,Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Learn to practice the Perfect methodology.

diablo250
November 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I originally planned to take the MSF course, and I still will take an advanced rider/sportbike course through the MSF, but it was mainly that I just never got around to registering. I took the DMV test on my crf230L and passed with flying colors. I have raced bicycles for about 10 years now and felt my balance/mechanical inclination/traffic awareness was up to snuff. The 250 sure feels stable compared to flying down a hill at 55mph on a 16lb road bike with tires as wide as your thumb....

HMB-ninja
November 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yeppers. Definitely the way to go here in California, if only for the ease in getting a full license compared to the antiquated DMV test. The course itself was reasonably useful as well. By no means are you an accomplished motorcyclist after completing the course, but it's a good start to the learning process.

I have to agree with Alex, an easier way to get your License AND pick up some good basic riding skills/safty info AND possably get a lower insurance rate for having take the course!

It was like a win, win, win situation for me..... i also got my girlfriend to take the course so she could take over my scooter and i could move on to the Ninja....WIN! and then her roommate took it also when he bought a 250 to join us on rides WIN!

Delta107
November 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I took it so I could wave the DMV test. I really enjoyed the course. We had a retired Motorcycle cop as are instructor and there were total of 3 of us in the class. I passed number 1 in the class. hehehe lol beat the two boys.

pedaltothemetal
December 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Didn't have such a course in 1967 but did take a motorcycle driving test and passed it.

fernieh07
December 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I took it to see if I would like riding motorcycles... I rather pay the 250 dollars than thousands to only find out I don't like riding...

grn09segirl
December 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yes: It was very helpful for 2 reasons. I NJ it made it alot easier to get you licensce, so you dont have to sit a motor vehicle and take their ridding test and I had never ridden anything with 2 wheels before. All of the instructors were very helpful and I lerned alot. They start at the very basic level and have you ridding in now time.

ztrack157
December 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yes long time ago. If you've never ridden it is a must. Still recommend it to those with a little bit of experience. It is not a hard course to take by any means but very informative.

ninja250
December 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've never taken it but I've been riding bikes (dirt and street, motorized and pedal powered) on and off my whole life.

Two things I was told before I rode my first street bike that really helped me were "Brake before I turn" and "When in doubt, lean it out".

Some advice I would like to add is to stay away from any cars when at all possible and when you are around them, make absolutely sure they know you are there.

NEVER tailgate! Too many reasons to list why not to for this one. The path in front of you must be clear of all obstacles.

Put your feet down and make sure they are not stuck on the pegs well before you come to a stop to prevent a stupid fall over. I am guilty of this too. Hard to stand up and pick up your bike when it's laying on your ankle.. which you will be happy your wore your gear for because that's always rule #1 and I don't even need to say it.

Just a few things I experienced and learned here while riding.

edit:
Just went through the MSF videos online.

JeffM
December 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Took the MSF before I bought my bike. They had a Ninja 250 so it was perfect. It definitely made me a better beginner rider. Last year I took the ERC and had a blast. There was everything from a Yamaha scooter to a turbo zx-14. Same stuff as in the MSF course except no classroom and lots more riding.

littledog
December 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I have not taken the MSF course.

I do have the license endorsement from before MSF courses existed, and have a good bit of two wheel experience, mostly human powered.

I am planning to take the course next time it is offered reasonably close by and doesn't get canceled. I figure it is well worth the time and money since I will at least learn a few things that might keep me from getting hurt.

Betlog
December 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM

^^ This.

blackfocal
December 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
im taking my on the 7th though the 11th of january.

fivepin
April 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, I did. When went through it we were using a kawi eleninator 125cc bike (it sucked). and that box still haunts me LOL

G250RSC
April 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Was excited about this past weekend teaching a MSF Course. I taught a BRC class this past weekend and we had 4 2008 ninja 250's for the new riders. Worked out quite well and hooked 3 of the new riders on getting a ninja.

Dano
April 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
took it twice once in 91' for liscense and again in 04' for insurance discount..waste of time the second time but for 10% off insurance it was worth it since it was free in PA

bigair
April 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yes. MSF was worth a 10% discount on my bike insurance. Good course as well. helped me dump some dirt bike habits. I had a tendency to drag the rear break. :embarassed:

littledog
April 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Being hardheaded in the extreme, I bought the ninja, my first motorcycle ever, the day after thanksgiving last year and tried to teach myself how to ride it. I did use every bit of reading material I could find online as a guide. And since this is Alabama, the license is not an issue.

I succeeded, well at least I have no scars proving otherwise.

I admit to being hardheaded but I know my luck only goes so far. That is why I took the BRC course last month, weekend of March 12.

My experience with the course ... First, I am an educator, a teacher by trade. We study "effective course design" The BRC is a very nicely designed course. both the class room part and the riding part.

I knew all of the content of the course before hand (it is all available online). Of the riding skills The "U-turn box" I was the one part I was not sure I could do. The rider coach said "Balance yourself with your clutch. Once you do it once, it is easy ever after"

I learned how to do the U- turn box at the BRC course.

So I passed. At the end, the lead rider coach gave a little speech. This speech was easily worth $250. He said:

"You are now qualified to ride around in a parking lot, with supervision.

I know most of you have more ambitious plans. The one thing I have to say, is never stop practicing.

When I ride, I practice swerving like this: If I am alone on a road with man hole covers, I swerve around the covers. I can feel it if I succeed or not.

Not long ago, I was riding with my MC club on the interstate. Six lanes. For some reason we never determined, some one in a car was in the middle lane backing up. Several of our members were hurt and air lifted to a nearby hospital. They have recovered to the point where they can ride again. I managed to avoid the accident. I think it is because I was better at swerving."

So even if you already knew everything they taught, there was this message from the main instructor. Very convincingly delivered. "Practice your avoidance skills as if your life depends on them. Because, it really does."

Jatan
April 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Never been on a bike before, insurance discount, and you get a waiver for the license so I took the course and it was amazing -- lucky for me its only $20/free in IL (you put down $20 as a deposit, you can get the $20 back if you complete the course or you can donate it to the program, I decided to donate it since the course was worth it)

First couple of hrs on the bike I was a lil shakey since it was my first time and I was nervous. Another thing was that I didnt want to risk flying off the bike -- in the first exercise one of the students had the bike in gear instead of neutral and ended up going face first into the ground (protective gear saved her from getting hurt)

Had problems with clutch control on the first day so I kept stalling out and I kept letting the clutch go once I stopped (I think I stalled more times than the rest of the class combined) -- I was good at it by the end of the first day

Loved the turning and weaving -- took their advice on "dont look down, look where you want to go" a few hrs into the first day so I did much better from that point on.

For the riding test I went wide with the u-turns in the box so points off there and in the stopping one they said I could've stopped a lil bit shorter so couple points off there. Written test was pretty straight forward, out of the 50 questions I wasnt sure about 2 of them

Great course overall and the instructors were awesome -- the classroom time wasnt boring either since everyone participated and it wasnt just the instructors reading from the book -- highly recommend the course to everyone (we had a mix of new riders and experienced riders, and even the experienced riders felt they learned safer ways of riding)

Yoda
April 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Retaking MSF courses again this weekend. Friday night thru sunday and of course it going to change from 60 and sunny today to 40s and raining just for the weekend

Cab305
April 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Mandatory in Florida.

I don't mind would have taken it anyways. Plus for a first time rider I had a blast.

Highly recommend for anyone even thinking of riding. Counter steering alone is mind boggling to a non rider.

LegB4Wicket
April 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Vancouver Island Safety Council for me. There's no MSF in Canada's but pretty much the same thing.

I enrolled the basic skills course and once passing that took the road safety course. A couple of my instructors were former motorcycle constables while another was the local HOG chapter safety officer.

We'll worth the money (about $700 Cdn if I remember). That was good for in class lessons, 16 hours of skills training and two full days for traffic/road training. Plus they booked my road test for which I used one of thier bikes.

The lessons I learned and the skills I was taught have kept me out of trouble and helped me avoid some potentially no-so-nice experiences.

Take the course. If you cannot afford lesson, you cannot afford to own a motorbike.

Davidb1986
April 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I took it and enjoyed it!!!

Soujyu
April 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I took it. Beats sitting on my rear end in front of a computer screen on the weekends. :rotflmao:

Practically speaking, though.... since I didn't really know anyone close or friendly enough to lend me a motorcycle for the driving portion, I took the course so I could get my license without the driving portion.

Incidentally, I've.... uhh... dropped the bike during the course. On the very first exercise. At a standstill. With the engine turned off. :eek:

jonthechron
April 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Vancouver Island Safety Council for me. There's no MSF in Canada's but pretty much the same thing.

I enrolled the basic skills course and once passing that took the road safety course. A couple of my instructors were former motorcycle constables while another was the local HOG chapter safety officer.

We'll worth the money (about $700 Cdn if I remember). That was good for in class lessons, 16 hours of skills training and two full days for traffic/road training. Plus they booked my road test for which I used one of thier bikes.

The lessons I learned and the skills I was taught have kept me out of trouble and helped me avoid some potentially no-so-nice experiences.

Take the course. If you cannot afford lesson, you cannot afford to own a motorbike.

In Quebec, driving school has been mandatory for new motorcycle riders for many years, as of 2010 driving school is mandatory for EVERYONE that wishes to obtain a car, motorcycle, scooter, ect.

when I did my classes in june of '09, I paid about, 700$, which is the average price on the island, classes include 6 hours of thoery (that I skipped because I already had my thoretical exam passed, got 100%)

For you guys that are interested, here are the steps in obtaining a motorcycle permit in Quebec.

1. Sign up for the driving school:
700$
2. After 6 hours of theory you pass the theory exam
Pass = 80$ Fail = 20$
3. Back to the driving school for 24 hours of practice, then rent a motorcycle for the closed circuit exam.
50$ for the rental + 90$ if you pass.
4. Practice with someone that has thier motorcycle liscence for at least 2 years, they only way you can ride for the next 11 months is with someone, no exceptions.
5. Go pass an other test to prove you can ride a bike.
Rental = 100$ examination fees = 90$

Ninja 250 = 4000$, Registration 400$ a year (april to december), insurances 500$

250rStar
April 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
yeah great class learned alot and made me a much more comfortable rider

t0sh
April 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I took the class last September. I didn't have a clue about riding, I walked away from that class with confidence, and skills that I still use: slow; look; press; roll for those windy S curves in our mountains.

I also had a hard time with the box, and had to do a tight U-turn 2 nights ago. (In the dark!) I just focused on what I remembered in the class, because at times I went too slow. Here is the key: speed=stability.

It was a great class, my instructor was awesome, and I will 100% recommend this course to everyone that begins their motorcycle adventure. :D

ejunk81
May 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Bought my bike last weekend and just finished day 1 of the MSF course today. Came away with two things:

1. When I got home, I practiced on my bike to reinforce what I learned & I realized that I had made huge improvements already.

2. Playing with the friction-zone for 4 hours really sucks!

kkim
June 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM

Jesse8931
July 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
If you have taken it please check it and if you have not please check the other option

Alex
July 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
/moved to Riding Skills

Alex
July 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
We've got a long thread on this with the same poll: right here (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10286) :thumbup:

/merged

newboy17
July 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
not yet , its $350 here in ny , times are ruff, but im just going to sing up for the road test, i got a friend who got his, and he is going to show me what to do , to pass the road test, only thing is the i have to wait about 2 months for the road test........

smiley424
July 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I would if they had it available here on Guam but they don't. I'm told either the Air Force base or Navy base has the course available, but only for military personnel.

Gorilla25
July 4th, 2011, 02:34 PM
i did take the MSF course. my feedback: 10/10
-the instructors were really patient with those who had some difficulty.
- i learned things i never knew
-glad i took the MSF because i use those skills daily (slow maneuvering, turning techniques etc...)
-can't wait to take the advanced course next May

GetBusyLiving
July 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Took the MSF course through TEAM Arizona. I had zero experience on a motorcycle so it def helped and gave me enough confidence once I got my own bike. The class was a lot fun and the instructors were awesome :thumbup:

Ill more than likely take another class through in the future as they have many to choose from. Knowledge is Power! :D

greatwhiteninja
July 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
i never took one because i started out when i was probably 10yrs old on my first dirt bike.. had them from 10 to around 23.. dirtbikes, atv's, atc's.. and rode them all the time, not just a little bit. at around 24 i got my first motorcycle and i guess just from the experience riding the dirtbikes and atvs i felt like i never needed a class, just went to the DMV and took the test and got my license. im sure i could learn something from the class .. funny story when i got the 250 a month or so ago i didnt realize when i renewed my license last year i didnt renew the motorcycle endorsement, havent owned a bike in probably 3yrs.. so i had to take the road test again.. well the instructor owned a new goldwing, as he is telling me what to do for the test and there was one part that you had to ride through these cones doing like 2-3mph without putting your feet down, well i was joking with him theres no way you can run that goldwing through these little narrow cones.. he just looked at me and laughed saying yes i can! so after the test was over he says hold on a minute, jumps on this massive goldwing and runs through the cones like it was nothing.. had that thing leaning over like it was a sportbike.. i just sat there and was like WOW! he is the instructor of the saftey course also.. had me thinking man i should join this class and see what he is teaching..loL! he was telling me he actually does a advanced class specifically for sportbikes also.

kkim
July 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ed,

you should take the course. :thumbup:

It's not only a skills class, but a safety awareness mindset that points you in the right direction on how to survive when street riding. I've ridden dirt and street bikes for over 40 years and riding on the street is way more dangerous than doing it in the dirt. Gaining knowledge from a course that has been already distilled down to the essentials saves you from having to learn them the hard way.

greatwhiteninja
July 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM
yeah im considering it.. guy at the DMV seems pretty cool.

PsychoNinja
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I took and passed my MSF class March of this year. Definitely worth while! It taught me the skills necessary to pass the driving test and those skills have saved my butt at least once so far! :D

gatito
July 7th, 2011, 06:20 AM
i took it last month and it was fun and i learn so much every one should take it... i felt sorry for a girl she did almost everything but she was so nervous the she drop the bike " she never rode before the msf" anyways she got up and left. other than that it was fun and the instructor are good.

gfloyd2002
July 10th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I took it, even though I'd already been riding for many years, mostly overseas and on dirt. While I felt like I was a more advanced rider that didn't need to practice learning where the clutch sweet spot was or reviewing how to get on a motorcycle, I found it very useful.

While some of it was too basic, it was a nice tool to refocus me on safety and shore up my foundations. I learned I wasn't really as advanced as I thought, despite my years of experience, and that I'd been thinking about a few things incorrectly. I'd recommend the course to anyone as a must, even if your state does not require it for your license.

YORCHI
July 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I had never ridden or even sat on a bike before I took the course...

Unfortunately for me it rained both days we had to actually ride and that really made me more nervous about riding. The instructors were able to show us all the drills with ease and make it look easy but I was very hesitant about turning and leaning with the bike. The bike I used was pretty bad as well. I was having a very hard time shifting and they kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the bike until one of the instructors took mine out to demonstrate something and had the same problems I did.

For the actual skills test I think I barely passed. I got 19 points and was told that 21 was failing. I'm glad I passed though because I don't think I would have gone back if I hadn't. After it was all over I really felt like I needed much more practice, on a nice sunny dry day. I loved the course for teaching me everything and doing it in a way that is very friendly and encouraging. The instructors were awesome and very patient with us.

My only recommendation would be to make a dedicated course for new riders to take before the BRC (Basic Rider Course). Myself and the other new riders all felt like we needed more practice time. It seems we only did each drill for about 5-10 minutes before we moved on to the next. At that pace we never felt comfortable on any one drill before we moved on to the next one. Because of that, the first things I'm doing with my bike are practicing all the low speed drills I didn't feel right about in an empty parking lot.

Bottom line, the course is amazing. I want my wife to take it just so she can learn how to ride a bike. I'm in the military so it was free but I would be more than willing to pay the money to take it if I wasn't.