No, but damn if that doesn't look similar to my commute to work. :D

g21-30
December 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
318 twisties in 11+ miles!!

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/shop/pics/poster/poster2005.jpg

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
318 twisties in 11+ miles!!
crap... now you you gonna make me count all those corners while I ride to work! :doh:

"tail" looks like a nice ride, but I bet it's full of cars and bikes all zooming at different rates and directions. :eek:

g21-30
December 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

Ducati916Senna
December 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
crap... now you you gonna make me count all those corners while I ride to work! :doh:

"tail" looks like a nice ride, but I bet it's full of cars and bikes all zooming at different rates and directions. :eek:

Yup, your right Kelly. This place was fun a few years ago, but it has been commercialized and the place is nuts now. This is just one part of the "skyway". There are roads all around this area that are great as well.

Felix
December 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Is it full of popo's?

Our version of that here in Aus, has so much attention from the cops.

Felix

Ducati916Senna
December 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Is it full of popo's?

Our version of that here in Aus, has so much attention from the cops.

Felix

That and every car club known to man. Look on you tube for all the fatal accident videos at the gap, etc. Really isn't worth risking your life for some nice corners. Not to mention, if you go off the road, you're going down a cliff.

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I'm lucky enough to live close to the Dragon. Hehe... Sorry for gloating. With that said, I've driven several cars up and down it and it's one heck of a ride. Bikers are up there all the time having a good ole time. In my opinion it has become too comercialized. It's a state highway and so tractor trailers are allowed to drive up and down it. Some of those turns they take the entire road, unbeknowing to the rider's scootin along at 50mph knee dragging. With that said, there is another run near to the same region that not alot of people have found yet. Unfortunately as far as I know you can't get a beautiful picture of you and your ride taken there yet.

jdesiano1
January 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I too live near the dragon, however I also think it is too hyped up. This other region tnninjagirl (hey were neighbors!) was talking about is the hellbender. It is Hwy 28 in to Franklin NC. I don't even like it in a car. Tnninjagirl you know about the Womens sport bike rally at the gap next year?

BlueTyke
January 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't mind riding the Dragon just to say I did it. I have seen some pictures of rigs that tried to make some of those corners though and :: shiver :: I would hate to be introduced to those big rigs..

TnNinjaGirl
January 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Actually I was talking about the Brushy Mountain Ride. I haven't been up there yet but the local BMW club has been trying to keep it on the down low. Oops... I wasn't aware of the Dragon ride, but I don't think I'm good enough rider to be doing that ride yet. In due time.

KnoxNinja
January 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend the Brushy Mountain ride, AKA "The Devil's Triangle." The road is ROUGH. There's a lot of places where it is falling apart, a lot of gravel and dirt, and some really bad patchwork all throughout. I would recommend taking a car up there and checking it out first. I rode up there in my RX-7 with the Sports Car Frenzy crew last year and I thought my poor suspension was going to fall apart. Can't imagine doing it on a small sport bike.

The Dragon (129) and the Hellbender (28) are a blast, but it's way too crowded most of the year. If you want to check it out, I recommend going during the week before April, preferably early if you can. Traffic and law enforcement get really heavy during the April-October riding season when the resort is open. The roads themselves are really nice though. Excellent banking, relatively fresh pavement (most of the Hellbender was just repaved), and the locals are good about clearing debris. Check out Killboy.com for weekly highlights.

TnNinjaGirl
January 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Good to know about the Brushy Mountain ride. There are alot of back roads going up the Smokies no one even thinks about. Unfortunately it's such a tourist trap it's more dangerous than fun most of the time.

HKr1
January 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Sam,
When is the group ride?

Strider
January 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't mind riding the Dragon just to say I did it. I have seen some pictures of rigs that tried to make some of those corners though and :: shiver :: I would hate to be introduced to those big rigs..

I'm with BlueTyke, I'd like to do it just so I could say I did, but big rigs scare the hell outta me! I almost get run over every day it seems on highway 321!

Good to know about the Brushy Mountain ride. There are alot of back roads going up the Smokies no one even thinks about. Unfortunately it's such a tourist trap it's more dangerous than fun most of the time.

I've never heard of the Brushy Mountain ride. Got any more info on it?

KnoxNinja
January 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm with BlueTyke, I'd like to do it just so I could say I did, but big rigs scare the hell outta me! I almost get run over every day it seems on highway 321!

I've never heard of the Brushy Mountain ride. Got any more info on it?

http://tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html

Take special note of the update at the end of the article. When I went, we went the clockwise route, which really sucked.

Strider
January 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
http://tailofthedragon.com/DevilsTriangle/DevilsTriangle.html

Take special note of the update at the end of the article. When I went, we went the clockwise route, which really sucked.

Thanks!

KnoxNinja
February 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hmm... 66 degrees and sunny tomorrow (Thursday)... Dragon run anyone??

BlueTyke
February 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Don't tease me!

We need to start throwing out some days for this though (preferably when its not so cold up this way. I'd hate to freeze on the way down. When I am cold I get discoraged!

g21-30
February 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Sam,
When is the group ride?

Sorry, I just saw your question! I don't have the slightest idea. I'm hoping for the Skyline Drive ride this summer. It would really be ride for me to just GET to the Dragon start! And BlueTyke even more!! :D

jpnfrk
February 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM
If the forecast wasn't rainy for this weekend I'd love to visit the Dragon... probably in the car first to check out the danger spots then take the bike when I am less of a newbie on it...:rolleyes:

BlueTyke
February 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
wants to go wants to go wants to go wantstogowantstogowantstogo.....

KnoxNinja
February 27th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I ended up not going yesterday due to oversleepage after work. Maybe next week though if the weather is decent. I think the Deal's Gap store will be open, and the 500R has earned some stickers. Hopefully the 250 will one day soon.

KnoxNinja
February 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
If the forecast wasn't rainy for this weekend I'd love to visit the Dragon... probably in the car first to check out the danger spots then take the bike when I am less of a newbie on it...:rolleyes:

Yes, driving it in the car first is probably a good idea, although it's really not so bad as long as you exercise restraint. The pavement is still somewhat new so there's no surprises. Get with me or CB (TnNinjaGirl) if you'd like a tour. It's not a long drive/ride for us so we're up for it anytime.

TnNinjaGirl
March 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Alright guys, I'm ready for a Dragon ride sometime soon. I was forced to drive Jimi's Suby up there the other night and I remembered how much I love that road. Also, I got my suspension straightened out and I'm wanting to test that as well. I plan to go this weekend. Forecast says mid 60's with 30% chance of rain. In East TN terms, no one has a freakin clue... For all of those in the nearby area give us a holler. For those a little further out... Your call.

BlueTyke
March 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
As I sit at my desk staring at the white fluffy stuff whirling around the window (yes I can type without looking at the screen, pardon any mistakes) I have to wonder where the warmth will come from. Though I must say I am tempted to pull Tyke out just to get some snow pictures, and put her new bra on, I wouldn't have the achem (for lack of better word) balls, to ride in this. I doubt it will be warm enough by this weekend.

So in short. Have fun! Take pictures!

TnNinjaGirl
March 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
It went from 20 to 70 about 2 weeks ago. It snowed yesterday morning. The day before it was 60. Today it was supposed to be 28. It was 38. In East TN when they call for 30 percent chance of rain, it's probably not going to happen. Anything 50 percent and above we watch out for. As for the temperature, it's more of a general guestimation. Granted we do get to enjoy all four seasons. They are just unpredictable.

Sunny, you have got to come down to TN sometime and ride with us. If not, we'l meet in VA or something. Same goes for everyone else.

BlueTyke
March 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Heck yeah! I am game! Got room on your floor? (suffers a relapse of memory remembering this conversation but on Kelly's floor)

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Sunny - I'm on the way, and we currently have 2 guest bedrooms :)

BlueTyke
March 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
That works too! Whoot! I feel a weekend away coming on!

jpnfrk
March 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
The temps are a bit crazy here in NC as well, hopefully it'll warm up by the time the weekend comes around... :D

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Nani, I'm just a little north of you, and they're saying it's going to be 60 here on saturday.... at least I can ride into work - makes the Saturday work days a little easier :)

jpnfrk
March 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Nani, I'm just a little north of you, and they're saying it's going to be 60 here on saturday.... at least I can ride into work - makes the Saturday work days a little easier :)

:pray:

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
:pray:

amen sister!

KnoxNinja
March 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Alright guys, I'm ready for a Dragon ride sometime soon. I was forced to drive Jimi's Suby up there the other night and I remembered how much I love that road. Also, I got my suspension straightened out and I'm wanting to test that as well. I plan to go this weekend. Forecast says mid 60's with 30% chance of rain. In East TN terms, no one has a freakin clue... For all of those in the nearby area give us a holler. For those a little further out... Your call.

1) It's Subie or Subie-woo.
2) You mean you took the keys from me at the bar and somehow they ended up at the Dragon, in the ignition, with you in the driver's seat. Good times :thumbup:

OhEmmGee the salt up there is terrible right now. It was okay for a few miles past the Overlook but by the time we were at the NC line, it was more than sketchy. The ironic thing is that NC didn't salt their side at all, and the roads on that side were perfectly clear. Let that be a lesson to you, TNDOT! Quit salting the Dragon! You just make it more dangerous!

I'm really wanting to ride this weekend, so I'm hoping that stuff gets cleared out. If not, I'll just ride along at 10mph until I get to the NC side and I'll play on their side of the fence. Hopefully no one salted 28.

TnNinjaGirl
March 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Plenty of room on the floor and the couch. If only I had a garage.

Road conditions were pretty horrible. My Honda was having problems staying on the road (or was that me?) because of the salt. We'll see if we can get a road report for this weekend for interested parties. Most of you guys are pretty far away though.

Also, I keep seeing pictures of Kelly's garage with plenty of room for me to sleep. What he doesn't know is that I can sleep sitting upright on a Ninja 250. To add to that, because it's green I'll fall asleep faster. Problem solved Kelly...

BlueTyke
March 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
hehehe! I will have to plan a weekend down that way...

jpnfrk
March 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
We'll see if we can get a road report for this weekend for interested parties.

Please keep us posted... :D

kkim
March 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Just be on the lookout for black ice. Sounds like conditions might be about right for it in spots.

KnoxNinja
March 4th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Just be on the lookout for black ice. Sounds like conditions might be about right for it in spots.

The high temp tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 50's here, and going up from there each day. So it'll be plenty safe by the weekend. I'm thinking of riding up Thursday or Friday afternoon to see how the salt is. I hate to say it, but we really just need a good soaking rain up there.

Also keep in mind... the time changes Sunday morning. One more hour of daylight to ride! :D

CB, they've rescheduled the Pellissippi autocross event for this Sunday since the weather was bad last weekend. Think we can get lil' Cheeto tuned?

TnNinjaGirl
March 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Cheeto will be spitting fire my friend (in the good sense of the term), do not worry your little rotary-tuned noggin.

Also, Saturday morning at European Auto Garage there is a car show. Cars and Coffee they call it. Everyone can find me there if interested. Porsche's, Aston's, Jag's, Ferrari's... it's going to be a fun day. www.europeanautogarage.com will link you to the event and pictures of past events.

Back to the CHeeto, I found a sweet little carb set up for you. I bet you $100 it works better than the one you have now. I don't care how good you say that thing is. Put some coolant in it, bring it to the shop and we'll tune it. Get Chris to part with one of his cars too. I'm hooked.

KnoxNinja
March 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM
::: Road condition update! :::

The salt is a bit heavy on portions of the TN side. It's still easily passable, as there are clear paths from traffic kicking it out of the way. You just have to be selective about your line in certain spots and take it slow. Aside from that, most of the Dragon itself is quite ridable, and the NC side all the way down the Hellbender to Fontana Dam is clear thanks to NC being flat broke. So I think it was totally worth the trip today. The weather was beautiful and traffic was the lightest I've seen it in a LONG time. I probably won't be up there again this weekend though, as I'm still having an issue with the 500R randomly cutting out on me. Grrr.

kkim
March 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
did you ever install a clear plastic inline fuel filter?

TnNinjaGirl
March 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
He installed the filter... Correctly this time... It seems to ride fine on the way up there but on the way back it'll cut out about every 10 or so miles. After adding fuel treatment to it it seems to run fine. This is based on the last trip to Deals Gap and information he gave to me last night about the ride he just took.

Also, I'm headed up there today to check road conditions and get some practice in. Maybe I'll be able to get some pics for everyone.

kkim
March 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
take the tank off, slosh the gas around and dump the entire contents out into a container to see what's in there. fill up with fresh gas and see if the problem continues.

TnNinjaGirl
March 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
No ride to the Gap today. Went riding with some dudes on old school GSX-R 600's. They were stunned to find out I was on a 250. I love these little things.

Assuming the weather is decent there will definately be a Gap ride tomorrow.

Kelly, good advice, I've told him a million times it's trash in the tank... lol I hope he doesn't prove me wrong and embarass me.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Be safe!!

HKr1
March 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
oops:

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+motion-motorcycle-collision-on-tail-of-the-dragon

kkim
March 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
yeow!! he was pretty far off his line to begin with. sightseeing perhaps? :(

noche_caliente
March 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
ouch! though I had to chuckle a bit at his shoe flying off

KnoxNinja
March 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM
He wasn't off his line at all... his line just extended beyond the boundaries of his lane, right Corey? :D

jpnfrk
March 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Did the rider break a car window? :eek:

KnoxNinja
March 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Looks like he at least stole a mirror. Wouldn't be surprised if he took the window too.

TnNinjaGirl
March 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ya, his Apex was a little off. Looked like it was right on the B-pillar of that Blazer.

Wednesday I went up to the Dragon. Nice ride. There was some construction and an excavater had tipped over in the middle of the street leaving some diesel. It was a little wet also. All in all it was a decent ride. A couple on a VFR-1000 had traveled to the Dragon. The man let his wife putt around on it and she accidently dropped it. Broke a mirror off. Just reminds us we all need to be careful no matter how long we've been riding. Stay safe everyone.