View Full Version : Lowside Blues (newbie)

ranma3030
May 9th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Many lessons learned.

Hey All Deejay here. I have been a member for awhile now but bit of a lurker. Introduced myself about 2 months or so ago.

Well short story Is after many months of saving about 75% of my wage (took me 8 months of being broke) I bought a new ninja 250r. My decision on buying a new bike vs used bike
came down to the fact that buying new was only a couple of grand more than buying a used one and I thought If I'm gonna save this hard I may aswell buy a new one :)

Have been on the road now for about 3 months I think. 3987 km on the clock. I ride everyday rain, hail or shine.
I have been loving every moment of It. I am always aware that I am very... very fresh.

On tuesday the 8th of may I was up in the Adelaide Hills with some friends going for a ride. Just want to make It clear that on the two times I have been out with these guys at no time do I try and keep up In ANY way.
The rides usually involves us all leaving a spot and about 2 mins later they are all gone and I meet them at the destination/ turn off etc with them doubling back every now and then to make sure I'm ok.

I had a lowside :( Was a very hard lesson learned and what I used up in luck I'm finding I'm paying with slight dread and shock thinking of how It could've turned out.

We had a great day about 5-6 hours or riding in the twists. As we were all on our way home I was coming up to a left hand turn and failed to notice that a gravel driveway leading to the main road might mean gravel in the corner.

Please keep In mind I'm only really putting the pieces together now as at the time I had no idea what happened.

I think as I went around the corner I still had a far amount of weight on the front tire (Didn't set speed and stabilize the suspension before the turn) I think I then pushed too hard on the inside bar while he weight was forward and
maybe hit a bit of gravel. Anyway down I went and I can still hear the sound or grinding plastic and metal. I was still in the saddle and only let go when I saw a car coming in the other direction.
My bike stopped in the middle of the road still in my lane.

Got up and picked up my bike and moved her to the side of the road, Car driver was nice and asked If I was ok. I am now a preacher of ATGATT now!!!! I have no injures! no scratches no bruises nothing... I am very lucky. Things could of ended up a bit different very easily.

I was wearing my Alpine*'s GP plus leather jacket, knee armor under my kevlar pants, Leather gloves, boots and helmet. My gear Is also fine! no rips just a slight graze on my left sleeve that you can't really see and same on the knees/ butt of my pants.

My bike on the other hand........ Bent left handlebar, bent shifter, side stand ground down to a blade looking thing :P I think my forks are out of whack plus plastics scratched to hell.

Was also very lucky that I have insurance.

This morning I rode It to my dealer to have it repaired (can't afford to pay the costs so went with insurance). I then walked home in what I like to call "The Walk Of Shame" Reminding myself of how lucky I am that I can walk home.

To sum it up I have learned many things In the last couple of days and I realize all sorts of new things about my limit.

Thanks for reading my rant all :)

Deejay.

P.s. Advice, Input, scolding etc welcome. :P

Mocha Man
May 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Glad you're okay. Sounds like you had a nasty crash! Good thing for the insurance!

1994juggernaut
May 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Like we say in the desert if you can stand up afterwards it's a good crash.

akima
May 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Greate write-up. Sounds like you've got a good riding attitude. I had an early mishap too. I too physically came out fine (go ATGATT!) and lucky enough the bike had only very minor damage. Live and learn. Don't freak out about it, just fill the void of fear, uncertainty and doubt with knowledge, experience and more of that good attitude you seem to have.

alex.s
May 11th, 2012, 01:30 PM
bike looks brand new still

Stingray1000
May 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Like we say in the desert if you can stand up afterwards it's a good crash.

I disagree. There is no such thing as a good crash, just ranges of bad crashes...... this one just happened to be a bad crash, just not as bad as it could've been....

Ninja Justin
May 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I disagree. There is no such thing as a good crash, just ranges of bad crashes...... this one just happened to be a bad crash, just not as bad as it could've been....

Well said:thumbup:

1994juggernaut
May 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Good point I don't ride on the street yet so my opinion may change. It's just that when dirt biking 90% of the time you dust yourself off, laugh, and get back on.

Ninja Justin
May 11th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Good point I don't ride on the street yet so my opinion may change. It's just that when dirt biking 90% of the time you dust yourself off, laugh, and get back on.

I'm jelly -.- i wish i could just crash and be like "Hahaha" "darn, im dusty! No problem!" (wipes self off) lol

1994juggernaut
May 11th, 2012, 02:31 PM
In the desert crashes are more common but less dangerous by the simple fact that there are no cars to be hit by.

gfloyd2002
May 12th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for posting. And great attitude about your getoff - looking to see what you could have done different and recognizing the role of gear are two positives you can get out of a bad experience. Any time we lose control of our bikes could result in serious injury, so well done for taking it as a learning opportunity. You are gonna go far in this hobby. :thumbup:

I had a getoff in a corner a little over a year ago. Same basic mistake of not seeing the hazard, totally my fault. So my one suggestion is to think a bit more about the preparation for the corner, though it is great you analyzed the actual cornering technique too. How far do you look ahead of where you are riding, when in your cornering routing do you scan the corner for hazards? Best way to keep out of trouble in my experience - and not just in corners - is pretty non-technical. Keep your eyes out far enough ahead to spot hazards while you still have time to slow down. Faster you are going, further ahead you've got to scan. And if your stopping distance is greater than your scanning distance, it is time to slow down.

akima
May 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Keep your eyes out far enough ahead to spot hazards while you still have time to slow down.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PrMTqBqF7SA/TEI1Sp4Ci_I/AAAAAAAACDE/iStLLjCBB6E/s1600/201+Roger+Rabbit.jpg

Like that?

gfloyd2002
May 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
That works. Or like this:

http://www.information-facts.com/wp-content/uploads/eyespop.jpg

Xoulrath
May 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Glad you're OK and it would seem that the bike is relatively unscathed.

UjaasG35
May 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
i crashed last summer without gear... was not fun

ranma3030
May 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all you kind words and support.
Sorry It has taken me this long to reply but I have been out of the country for a few weeks.

Looks like I should have my bike back any day now :) I'm going to start looking around for some type of training and It seems like I will be looking at things with a whole new set of eyes.

I realize now that it's a hobby where If you lose concentration, Play Rossi or are just rough you will get bitten.

Ride safe all! Right side up!

Deejay.

P.s. still keen for input.

ranma3030
January 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Have a question for all the guys and girls of Ninjette...... When setting up for a corner after the braking and downshifting. Does everyone crack the throttle a little to set up the suspension.
Or do you go into the corner with weight on the front wheel, countersteer, then crack the throttle and roll on?

Still trying to work it all out. thanks all!

csmith12
January 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
You will find 2 schools of thought.

Basic:
No throttle for corner set up, just small blips to keep downshifts smooth. Complete ALL braking to set entry speed before turn in. Turn in is with 0 throttle.

Advanced:
No throttle for corner set up, just small blips to keep downshifts smooth. Complete most of braking before turn in. So the turn in is with 0 throttle and trail off brakes to finalize entry speed, then begin roll on.

Bummer about your crash and glad your on your way to get some education. Good luck! http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9961&albumid=624&dl=1357162176&thumb=1

csmith12
January 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Oh, I just reread my post. It may leave you with the impression to complete ALL corner setup with no throttle and that is not the case.

You will want to do ALL your body position setup while the throttle is on, before braking. The throttle is the best tool to keep the bike stable as the rider moves around.

ranma3030
January 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
thanks for your reply mate. When you say enter corner with 0 throttle. Does that mean the throttle is closed? Or its open just enough that your not deaccelerating? cheers.

Woomba
January 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Going back to advanced - By no throttle, it means as soon as you hit your braking zone, you cut the throttle and begin applying brake. As you begin to lean into the turn, you decrease your breaking as your lean increases. This balances the stress on your tires from braking to cornering without exceeding max G force allowed by tires/road surface. After passing the apex of the corner and the path begins to straighten out, begin applying throttle as you decrease your lean angle. For long radius corners you need to maintain some throttle as you negotiate the corner to maintain speed/lean angle. The only throttle in your braking zone would be used for rev matching as mentioned previously.

Basic cornering - Cut the throttle and do all or almost all of your braking before leaning into your turn. Then apply only enough throttle as needed to maintain your lean angle through longer turns. Roll on throttle slowly as the turn straightens out and you become more upright. If it is a unfamiliar turn, aim for a late apex with a slower speed so you don't get caught out if the radius of the turn tightens unexpectedly.

csmith12
January 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks Brain, yea 0 throttle means completely closed.

And, there is no set point in any given corner to begin the throttle roll. In fact, you want to get back to the throttle as soon as your turn in is complete (basic). And if your going the advanced route, you want to get back to the throttle after your trail braking is complete. In either case, if that is before the apex, so be it.

csmith12
January 7th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Seems Brain also knows about the pickup drill or does it out of common sense. On corner exit, when you counter steer and pick up the bike from it's lean, the harder you can get on the gas.

In other words - Don't be lazy on corner exit. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9961&albumid=624&dl=1357162176&thumb=1

Woomba
January 7th, 2013, 12:19 PM
For more in depth reading you can check out this link: http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=219&Set=211-245

It has math and numbers, but it explains your available traction in depth

ranma3030
January 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Wow! Thank you very much guys! That's why I love Ninjette.org. So many awesome people willing and happy to help out the newcomers :)

Can't thank you all enough.

So would I be right In saying that when you start to turn in the weight is still mainly on the front tire? Like 70/30?

After my little off I'm just a bit scared of loading up the front tire.

Thanks once again all!!!!

Stay upright!

ranma3030
January 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
For more in depth reading you can check out this link: http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=219&Set=211-245

It has math and numbers, but it explains your available traction in depth

This page is great btw. Prob take me awhile to get through it all :P

csmith12
January 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Wow! Thank you very much guys! That's why I love Ninjette.org. So many awesome people willing and happy to help out the newcomers :)

Can't thank you all enough.

So would I be right In saying that when you start to turn in the weight is still mainly on the front tire? Like 70/30?

After my little off I'm just a bit scared of loading up the front tire.

Thanks once again all!!!!

Stay upright!

No thanks required sir. :thumbup:

The 70/30 number will be all over the place depending on rider/bike/skill level. On a well set up bike, it can be 50/50 for a nice slow lazy turn. Or it can be even 100/0 for very, very, aggressively hard braking for a turn at the end of a long straight on a track.

Don't be to afraid to load up the front with no lean angle but do take it at your own pace of course. This will help too.

G1rlQ0NmbWs

ranma3030
January 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM
No thanks required sir. :thumbup:

The 70/30 number will be all over the place depending on rider/bike/skill level. On a well set up bike, it can be 50/50 for a nice slow lazy turn. Or it can be even 100/0 for very, very, aggressively hard braking for a turn at the end of a long straight on a track.

Don't be to afraid to load up the front with no lean angle but do take it at your own pace of course. This will help too.

G1rlQ0NmbWs

Wow that really helped to clear some things up for me! Thanks once again. Hope one day I can return the favor.