View Full Version : Chain Lubes

ak_907_ak
December 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm trying to find a good chain lube, and ran across this stuff the other day:
http://www.classicchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=49-115&dept_id=121
Now it doesn't say anything about O-rings, so I'm asking if anyone has used this before. It does say it is for chains, gears, bearings and hinges.
I'm trying to find a good chain lube, and so far I've tried Renthal Chain Lube and Harley Davidson High Performance Lube.
Also, what are some places to buy more Du Pont and Maxima products, besides the internet, as I am having trouble finding those.:mad:

Mo1981
December 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I purchased some Maxima chain lube at the Kawi dealership when I had them swap my sprockets. I imagine any dealership with a parts shop will carry some.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Can't help you on where to buy, but this what I use after years of searching for just the right lube...

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/oil/maxima_chain_wax_reg_LG.jpg

ak_907_ak
December 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
That's the stuff I've been trying to find, but nobody has it up here!
The kawi dealer doesn't have it, so Ima try Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda dealers.

kkim
December 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Any shop worth their salt that carries Maxima products should carry this. Call around and ask.

islanderman7
December 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I've been using Repsol chain lube. Just finished that bottle and I switched over to Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube to see what that is like. Leaves a white layer that supposedly keep dirt out. http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13616Don't know if I like it yet.

HKr1
December 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Its good stuff! Nobody around here has it, I just order on line when I get a case of oil :thumbup:

vonbeezy
December 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
haha you guys said "lube" :D

but seriously thought..what difference do "better chain lubes" have over crappy one

kkim
December 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
haha you guys said "lube" :D

but seriously thought..what difference do "better chain lubes" have over crappy one

my main reason for using it is less fling... everything stays cleaner.

vonbeezy
December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
makes since.

Kurosaki
December 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Especially since we don't have a rear fender like some bikes do.

ak_907_ak
December 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Its good stuff! Nobody around here has it, I just order on line when I get a case of oil :thumbup:

What website do you buy yours from?

DirtyBoy
December 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I switched over to Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube to see what that is like. Leaves a white layer that supposedly keep dirt out. http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13616Don't know if I like it yet.
That's all I have ever used after one of the guys at Cycle Gear recommended it to me. My main criteria was that it did not fling off as I had removed the chain guard. I have never seen one little speck of lube on my pants, so It works in that sense. As far as it's lubricating qualities, after 8000 miles or so of use the chain and sprockets still look like new. Also because it is a dry lube it doesnt attract as much crap for a lack of a better term.

tweakmon
December 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Absolute best chain lube hands-down:

Dupont multi-purpose lube with teflon.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Been using this stuff for years now. Only place I can find it in SoCal is Lowe's.

Suey250
December 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
What website do you buy yours from?

I got my chain wax from http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/12473/ITEM/Maxima-Chain-Wax.aspx :thumbup:

Kolya1981
December 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
The guy at the Kawi dealership sold me on Fuchs Synthetic Race Lube. Seems to work great and no fling.

kkim
December 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Fuchs pronounce that?? :censored:

TonyKZ1
December 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Well, with the miles that I put on (300 or so miles a week) I went to a Scottoiler (http://www.scottoiler.com/default.asp) automatic chain lubrication system. While it was kinda expensive, the chain is constantly kept lubricated without a lot of mess and seems to last a lot longer. I bought mine from one of the US distributors RiderStation (http://www.riderstation.com/).
Tony

Kolya1981
December 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
pronounce that?? :censored:

LOL yeah...it is real! I swear (and not the curse type swear)! See: http://www.silkolene.com/images/products/pro%20chain.jpg and http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?calling=product&sub=race#race_p9 :D

ak_907_ak
December 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Success! I've finally got my hands on some maxima chain lube.
But today I will be busy putting my LED footpeg blinkers on:D

aloh
December 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM
ive been using some motul chain lubricant and it seems alright. I havnet been really lubing the chain alot since i havnet been riding alot... :(

Sailariel
December 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I like the Maxxima Chain Wax. Seems to work really well. I have been uaing it on my rcing bikes (bicycles) as well and have found it to be vastly superior to the chain lubes available for bicycles.

Syphen
December 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I gotta say, Belray Chain lube is by far THE #1 best lube I've EVER used. I've used quite a few and I think this stuff is great. It sprays on and dries a white color. It will not fling off and is not graphite based like a lot of cheaper lubes.

Just my 2 cents.

Sailariel
December 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think that all the chain lubes out there have their place. If you ride in a dry dusty area, the dry lubes work best. In wet areas, the wet ones do a better job shedding water. I find that Kerosene cleans chains the best. Then after a thorough wiping and a good blast with the compressor, one applies the lube. I found the Maxxima Chain Wax was a bit of overkill for my racing bicycles, so I went back to Pro-Road, by Finish Line. I know that with bicycles a clean chain can make a difference between winning and losing a race. A dirty chain can generate an incredible amount of friction and sprocket wear.

kkim
December 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I think that all the chain lubes out there have their place. If you ride in a dry dusty area, the dry lubes work best. In wet areas, the wet ones do a better job shedding water. I find that Kerosene cleans chains the best. Then after a thorough wiping and a good blast with the compressor, one applies the lube. I found the Maxxima Chain Wax was a bit of overkill for my racing bicycles, so I went back to Pro-Road, by Finish Line. I know that with bicycles a clean chain can make a difference between winning and losing a race. A dirty chain can generate an incredible amount of friction and sprocket wear. I've heard TriFlow works great as a bicycle chain lube. Have you ever tried it?

Sailariel
December 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Kelly, Tri-Flow is great in wet weather. We have pretty dry summers here, so most of us use a dry lube. In the winter we use Tri-Lube or Finish Line Wet. I do like the Maxxima Chain Wax for the Ninja. I buy the stuff in bulk--so I stay with the one brand. I am going to try to set up an account with Maxxima and see if I can get the stuff in bulk.

g21-30
December 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Have you ever tried waxing the bicycle chains? That's what I use on my Cannondale Triathlon Bike. I wonder if it would work with motorcycle chains; however, I don't know if the o-rings could withstand the heat needed to melt the wax.

Sailariel
December 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
g21-30, Amazing how many bicyclists we have on this forum. The Pro Road by Finish Line is a wax based lube. Great stuff! Cannondale is a super bike. My best friend is the Cannondale dealer here in town. I build my own bikes up from framesets. My main road bike is an Eddy Merckx Premium Scandium frame with Easton CF fork, seatpost, and stem. I also have a Fuji that I set up for TT. Just finished restoring/upgrading a 40 year old Univega Comprtitzione. Those hand welded lugs are a work of art. The Tange Chromemolly rides like velvet. Am now finishing a touring bike which will also be my commuter. Everything five miles and under is pedalled--grocery store, errands etc. Over five miles, and I get to ride the Ninja. When the weather is bad, I use the cage. Do you know if Maxxima makes their chain wax in non aerosol? Aerosols are such a rip-off.

g21-30
December 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Do you know if Maxxima makes their chain wax in non aerosol? Aerosols are such a rip-off.

I have no experience with any of the aerosols. An old friend taught me over 20 years ago how to wax my bicycle chain. After waxing, if you need to change a tire, etc., your hands never get dirty when you touch the chain!

Have you used a double boiler to wax your bicycle chains before?

I too built my triathlon bike from a Cannondale frameset 22 years ago!! All DuraAce components, the Scott Aero Bar (old technology, now), and Look pedals.

Sailariel
December 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
That`s a trip. I have Scott aerobars on my Merckx and use Look pedals exclusively. All my bikes with the exception of the touring bike run the 105 Grouppo with one modification--Aluminum jockey wheels with bearings. You are right, the double boiler is the way to go for waxing chains.

g21-30
December 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Alex Allmayer,

Do you think the double boiler would work with the motorcycle chain? I checked my Kawa.. chain today (200 miles) and it appears to have been waxed. It's very clean.

Sailariel
December 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
The two Kawa dealers here use the Maxxima Chain Wax. The way I lube the chain is to clean it with kerosene, wipe down with paper towels, blow any excess off with a compressor, warm the chain up with a hair dryer-low.,apply the Maxxima Chain Wax, wipe the chain down with paper towels. I would hesitate to try the double boiler with an O ring chain. It would also necessitate breaking the chain with a chain tool. Every time you break a chain, you weaken it. I have not looked at quick links for motorcycle chains. I have them on my bikes.

g21-30
December 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Alex Allmayer,

Thanks for the detail. That's exactly what I will do, when it comes time.

chess
May 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Been using this stuff for years now. Only place I can find it in SoCal is Lowe's.

Glad I'm not the only one... :thumbup:

$6-7 at Lowe's...cleans and lubes in one step...goes on like WD-40 and dries into wax.

250Rocket
June 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure i'm going to get flamed for this but i read in the manual (page 115 in the 09 manual) that a heavy lube like SAE90 is recomended. Went to my local canadian tire and they had SAE but it's for boats....nothing motorcycle specific.

This is the stuff.
Shell Nautilus SAE 90

Extreme pressure marine gear oil SAE 90. Recommended for outboard gearboxes with manual shift and tern drive gearboxes requiring an EP gear oil SAE 90.

They didn't have any regular/ordinary SAE 90 lube so i got this one but haven't used it.

Is it all the same? or should i return this and by some form of spray like mentioned above?

capt_bugaloo
June 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
The problem with using a heavy gear oil is that they will get 'flung off'; that heavy gear oil will fling off as the chain spins, mucking up you back wheel and splattering on your pants.

The spray on waxes are better in my opinion.

2WheelGuy
June 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I recently switched to this:

It has received great reviews and does seem to "lube" the chain fairly well while staying clean and not flying off.

I used to use this:

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/oil/maxima_chain_wax_reg_LG.jpg

Very good stuff.

kkim
June 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
have you noticed any differnce between the 2? I presently use the chain wax.

Banzai
June 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
We probably get more wrapped up in WHICH chain wax/lube to use, and how, and perhaps miss the most important point: Actually doing the service. I mean, really, what we always end up discussing is that last 1%, and each of us have such different needs when it comes to that. Some of us fend off dust, others salt air, others basic humidity, some lots of rain. That's why there are so many different products, they all service that last 1%, since the other 99% of the components of each product are basically the same.

The product, to a point, is less important than actually using it.

We're not the ones having the problem, it's the owners who don't think about or perform regular chain maintenance.

NaughtyusMaximus
June 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I finally got around to lubing my chain yesterday. Unfortunately all the bike stores were closed when I decided to do it, so I picked up the only thing available at Canadian Tire: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_53-6012_G

Can't really tell how it works yet. It definitely looks good, being clear. It was very tacky going on, but I don't have any other lubes to compare that to. I'm still trying to find out the easiest way to get some of the dupont lube, since they don't sell it in Western Canada.

pantera
June 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
+1 for the Dupont Teflon multi-use from Lowes.

ScorpionNinja
June 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hey, what and wheres the Cheapest way to go... as far as Buying 'Bulk' Chain Cleaner?
Is Kerosene sold by Gallons at lowes,etc?
Ive asked around some stores with such and havent gotten any real useful Info! Please help lol

(i bought Maxxina Chain Wax in Bulk* online) so im just looking for a 'BULK' and Cheapo cleaner, Buying Cans and Cans of WD-40 n ****... isnt Cost effective to me! lol

-Thanks

headshrink
June 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I always used wax on my mountain bike and triflo lube on my road bike (bicycles). I guess this is the same, or similar, game - with the addition of O-ring chains and fling.

I'm going to be switching to that maxima stuff..... HATE the fling!

g21-30
June 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hey, what and wheres the Cheapest way to go... as far as Buying 'Bulk' Chain Cleaner?
Is Kerosene sold by Gallons at lowes,etc?
Ive asked around some stores with such and havent gotten any real useful Info! Please help lol

(i bought Maxxina Chain Wax in Bulk* online) so im just looking for a 'BULK' and Cheapo cleaner, Buying Cans and Cans of WD-40 n ****... isnt Cost effective to me! lol

-Thanks

Diesel fuel - Cheaper by the gallon.

Obsidian
June 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

What he said. Lowe's has it for about $10 a can. This **** is awesome!

250Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Update:

So I put the stuff on. I allowed a little for each ring. Wiped off the excess and let it sit for 20 minutes. Patted it with paper tower to get the rest and then took it out. Started off slowly and worked my way up to highway speed. Little to no fling so i'm happy.

rockNroll
June 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
This is the best I have found.

http://www.belray.com/scripts/futurearts.dll?CollectImageFullsizeJpeg?loc=belray&moid=8399&w=500&h=500

2WheelGuy
June 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
have you noticed any differnce between the 2? I presently use the chain wax.

I used to hate lubing my chains because of the mess. It was easier to just replace chains more often than to deal with the constant mess. Then I found Maxima Chain Wax. Almost no mess! I started lubing my chains after most every ride. Great stuff! Of course the Nay-sayers complain that it doesn't lube as well as the traditional stuff. So what!?! The tradtional stuff can't do anything if you don't use it.

Then I found the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax Lubricant and gave it a try. It is very similar to the Maxima stuff but with Teflon added. Like the Maxima there is almost zero fly-off. The only difference is that the Teflon does make the chain appear slightly darker. No big deal to me, maybe guys with show bikes might complain. My limited non-scientific testing does say that it lubricates much better than the Maxima. I run non-o-ring chains on most of my bikes. They require frequent adjustments, but since switching to the Dupont lube I find that I have to adjust the chains less than half as often. The chains are not stretching nearly as fast with the new lube.

Lowes and Ace/Truevalue hardware stores carry the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax lube. I recommend it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2538&d=1245559886

Ken
June 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
+1 for WD-40 to clean and Dupont Teflon multi-use to lube.

2WheelGuy
June 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I like Kerosene to clean chains with. I picked up a half gallon of camp stove Kerosene at Home Depo several years ago for a few dollars and am still using it. With a stout brush, a metal pan to catch the drippings and a bunch of paper towels to wipe the chain off with and the job only takes a few minutes.

Motorcycle shops sell fancy/expensive three sided crud brushes. I just use a long handle kitchen vegetable brush that I got for a dollar. It works just fine.

As a side note, I give a Kerosene bath to new chains before I install them. The lube they use on new chains is VERY messy.

ScorpionNinja
June 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Well i just got back from running around to find some of that: Dupont w/Teflon Multi-purpose Chain Wax... and went to Lowes, Home Depo, Murrays auto, Auto-Zone, Advanced Auto, Meijers. NONE HAD IT! :(

to those few ppl that claimed they bought it off the selves at their local LOWE's ... how? lol shouldnt ALL LOWES sell it? i asked the employees and nope, not sold here. We checked the selves, differnet employees, and none of the Stores had it! Im bummed, cuz i dont feel like ordering crap online and waiting 1-2 weeks, or pay Overpriced costs at local 'stealerships'

I did thought, find a store that SELLS WIX FILTERS! Only $5.49 EACH, and they come with BOTH O-rings!

WIX Filter 24941

headshrink
June 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
So do you all meticulously spray your choice lube or wax on every individual pin/O ring between the plates, or do you just spray the whole darn thing and wipe?

EDIT: Since I am using the gooey flingy stuff, I go about it meticulously. But I am switching!!!!! My Maxima chain wax should be arriving via UPS any minute now. I ordered it before reading about the DuPont stuff, but may give it a try next time.

Nickds7
June 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I recently switched to this:

It has received great reviews and does seem to "lube" the chain fairly well while staying clean and not flying off.

I'm currently using this, the chain has remained very clean. It applies nicely too. Dupoint is now making a chain specific lube, although the multi-use is labeled for chains. The chain specific stuff is supposed to be very similar to the chain specific lube. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

So do you all meticulously spray your choice lube or wax on every individual pin/O ring between the plates, or do you just spray the whole darn thing and wipe?

Use a piece of cardboard or something so that you dont spray past your chain and onto other stuff. Just spray away if you are using dupoint teflon lube... the excess just drips off while the stuff that stays becomes dry within seconds.

Purspeed
June 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM

+1

stingray
August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
another +1 for the Dupont Teflon lube at Lowes. It's the best stuff I've tried, and half the price of the messy flingy lube they sell at the stealership. My chain has never stayed so clean!

sharky nrk
August 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
what do you guys use to clean the chain prior to lubing it?

Alex
August 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Wd-40.

g21-30
August 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
mineral spirits

sharky nrk
August 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
i used kerosene before, but its a pain to get and apply - wd40 might be the ticket

g21-30
August 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I had a pump/spray unit laying around, so I decided to try it out. Put a gallon of mineral spirits in it. Pumped it up. Put some old card board under the bike, while mounted on the rear stand, along with a small catch pan beneath where I sprayed (middle of the lower part of chain). Just kept turning the rear wheel by hand and spraying the chain. Once it looks relatively clean, I wipe it with the blue disposable auto paper towels. Then I use compressed air to dry it more. Then spray it with chain wax, wipe the excess and let dry.

You should think about measuring/adjusting the chain slack at the same time, either before or after cleaning.

Finder
August 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Dupont released a new chain specific version with more Teflon and Moly. Goes on thicker supposedly.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

I love the normal Teflon Multi-Use and I'll stick with it. Like everyone says, it goes on clean, and stays clean with no fling. :thumbup:

andrewexd
August 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Is there anything wrong with wd40 ? Someone on another site said it shouldnt be used because it has petroleum in it. Idk, i just used it along with dupont teflon lube.

Suey250
August 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
Is there anything wrong with wd40 ? Someone on another site said it shouldnt be used because it has petroleum in it. Idk, i just used it along with dupont teflon lube.

I don't think there is anything wrong with WD40 (to clean), just don't use it on its own, it will attract dirt and grim like none other.

cifex
September 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I like Kerosene to clean chains with. I picked up a half gallon of camp stove Kerosene at Home Depo several years ago for a few dollars and am still using it. With a stout brush, a metal pan to catch the drippings and a bunch of paper towels to wipe the chain off with and the job only takes a few minutes.

Motorcycle shops sell fancy/expensive three sided crud brushes. I just use a long handle kitchen vegetable brush that I got for a dollar. It works just fine.

As a side note, I give a Kerosene bath to new chains before I install them. The lube they use on new chains is VERY messy.

What do you do with the kerosene when you're finished?

cifex
September 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM

From what I understand, there are two problems with WD40. Spraying it directly onto the chain exposes the rubber to ozone which will cause drying and cracking. It should be sprayed onto a cloth and wiped on.

I have also read that WD40 replaces the oil in bearings and brings foreign matter into them.

Lots of people on here use it with no negative results.

noche_caliente
September 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
about the WD-40 from webbikeworld
review of the Kettenmax Chain Cleaner. It’s an interesting rig, but I’m of the same opinion that it’s just as simple and easier to spray on the WD-40 and wipe the thing off with towels/rags. Anyway, the WD-40 thing has been argued for as long as I’ve been participating in online enthusiast forums. If you have a moment, I recommend the following on the Yamaha FZ1 forum. (The article) contains a response from WD-40 as well as from a chain manufacturer (Tsubaki) in regards to the use of the stuff for cleaning chains."

headshrink
September 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
about the WD-40 from webbikeworld
review of the Kettenmax Chain Cleaner. It’s an interesting rig, but I’m of the same opinion that it’s just as simple and easier to spray on the WD-40 and wipe the thing off with towels/rags. Anyway, the WD-40 thing has been argued for as long as I’ve been participating in online enthusiast forums. If you have a moment, I recommend the following on the Yamaha FZ1 forum. (The article) contains a response from WD-40 as well as from a chain manufacturer (Tsubaki) in regards to the use of the stuff for cleaning chains."

Link?

I have personally destroyed sealed barring cartridges with WD-40. I do, however, spray it on a rag and then wipe off the chain, but wouldn't spray it directly on the chain. If it is only on the rag, I don't think it has a chance to really reach the O rings.

noche_caliente
September 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
sorry about that, I thought it had copied the link as well:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8987&highlight=WD-40+letter

edwinmcq
September 6th, 2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.jcmotors.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/JCM-92450-A13-5.jpg

I used to cook up about a pound of bacon, then strain off the pieces and paint that on my chain. My neighbors complained about my bike stinking up the garage.

Now, I use Bel-Ray "Super Clean" Chain Lube.