View Full Version : Ninja250SS from Kawi forums

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately no one on those forums have any respect to our bikes, because face it - theirs are bigger, faster, and technically( remember, technically) better.

But that doesn't stop me from loving my bike to death, haha.

Mine's on '06 with the following mods -

13teeth front sprocket
wilwood lowered risers
Sport Deamon 130/80 rear tire ( soon to match with the front )
EBC HH front brake pads

That's it, for now, but I'm about to do lower the rear with some lowering links and match the front.

Other than that, making this bike anything more that what it is would be wayyy to expensive. For now, and probably for the life of the bike, I will enjoy.

Soon, I will be adding a 636 to my garage.

And, for those who've already viewed the post on the KF, then this will be nothing new -- but for those who haven't here's what she looks like:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1037/pict0147zu8.jpg

Also, if anyone needs any painting whatsoever(wheels, parts, etc)to be done, I'd be more than happy to offer my services at a very low rate.

Steven "stevenz1g" Ziegler

Alex
December 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM
:welcome: I haven't heard of many folks going down teeth in the front sprocket on a ninjette; usually it's going the other way. Freeway speeds have to be a little raucous, aren't they?

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
:welcome: I haven't heard of many folks going down teeth in the front sprocket on a ninjette; usually it's going the other way. Freeway speeds have to be a little raucous, aren't they?

It's not as bad as most would foresee - Unless you're on a good down hill, my top speed ( as reported on my speedo ) is still 100. With a good down hill, I'll top out at 10

With the stock sprocket, my top speed is 116. I see these videos of people having hard times getting up to 100 on youtube, and I just don't understand! Getting to 100 is NOTHING for me, I'll take pics when I get my camera... For instance, when riding with my bud on an '08 with a slip on ( not jetted correctly ), when getting to top, he stops accelerating at around 100 and I go right by him. It's crazy.

kkim
December 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM

yeah, but I bet the acceleration between corners improve. :)

Welcome, Steve. It's always nice to play around with different configurations to make the bike work the best for you.

I like what you've done with the black/white thing... looks very good.

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the acceleration through the corners is the number one reason why I picked the sprocket.

There are two very notable downfalls from selecting a -1 in the front -

1. Lube DOES NOT like to stay on the chain. I am now finding myself lubing every 100 miles or so. This isn't a big deal now as I don't get very much ride time in, but in the summer it's very annoying

2. The chain will eat into the retaining plate holding the front sprocket on. I have had my 13teeth front sprocket on for appx. 4k miles and it's eating maybe 1/8" off of the plate. You will have to buy a new one of those every 7-8k or so. No big deal.

kkim
December 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
2. The chain will eat into the retaining plate holding the front sprocket on. I have had my 13teeth front sprocket on for appx. 4k miles and it's eating maybe 1/8" off of the plate. You will have to buy a new one of those every 7-8k or so. No big deal.
don't quite understand this one... what retaining plate?

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I dont believe the '08s have one, here's a pic tho

http://www.behindreality.com/ninja250/images/sprocket20.jpg

You see those two bolts holding that plate to the front sprocket? That's the retaining plate. It'll slowly but surely grind away on each side of the bolt, on the longest sides of the plate. It wont affect the chain, though. My first chain lasted its full term.

kkim
December 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
um, call me dumb (you wouldn't be the first), but how does changing the sprocket affect that plate?

btw, the new gens did away with that plate and has a giant single nut on the end of the output shaft holding the CS sprocket on. :eek:

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
um, call me dumb (you wouldn't be the first), but how does changing the sprocket affect that plate?

btw, the new gens did away with that plate and has a giant single nut on the end of the output shaft holding the CS sprocket on. :eek:

Well, imagine this - and i'm throwing figures for you to understand easier ( and for me to explain easier )

Say, my stock 14teeth sprocket is 3 inches wide ( and, figuratively ). There is now .5 inches between the retaining plate and the chain as it is spinning.

Now, my new and 13teeth sprocket is only 3 inches wide, and now there is no distance between the retaining plate and the chain, so now the chain is constantly riding on the retaining plate. Which do you think will win? A chain, or a relatively thin piece of aluminum? You win - the chain.

So now it's slowly grinding down the plate.

Again, one of many '08's improvements - You now dont have to worry about this flaw.

Alex
December 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Got it. That retaining plate works fine for the stock 14-tooth (and anything larger). For a 13-toother, the chain itself barely contacts the retaining plate, and wears it a little bit over time. For a 12-toother (if they exist), the chain may not even fit around without interfering with the retaining plate, and if it did it would grind it to all heck right quick.

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Exact. To be honest, a 12tooth would be an extreme overkill and I seriously doubt it'd work due to chain binding in the front. Someone needs to test this theory.

kkim
December 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Okay, I was going by that pic you posted. I assume that wasn't the 13t sprocket?

stevenz1g
December 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Also, to further my belief in this mod, there is a very noticeable weight loss in between the two sprockets, and as well all know, loss in rotational mass produces the most hp gain. I'd love to see a full carbon fiber set of sprockets. Maybe they have already, I dunno.

~ no that's some random image I pulled off the web.