View Full Version : I Couldn't Pick a Direction

DevinWolfe
May 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
So I was on a semi-aggressive ride with the local sportbike group and we are moving along pretty quick on the Cherohala Skyway. We were about 2 hours into our 6 hour ride. I was very much in my comfort zone so I wasn't "trying to keep up" but at one point half the group went around a couple Hardleys and I didn't want to cross that particular double yellow. Once I get around them the rest of the group follows as we try to *catch up* still within my comfort zone.

As we come out of a corner I see there are two ways to go and I had no idea which direction to take and I froze up. I go straight, hard on the brakes, locking front and rear on separate instances through pavement/grass/pavement/grass and had it almost completely stopped before yanking a hard left and sliding right into the guard rail sideways (about 45 degrees).

The next moment the bike is on it's left side and I'm lying in front of it. I immediately slap the kill switch and begin trying to upright the bike as I can already smell gas. The rest of the group is almost shitting themselves and I'm laughing my ass off at how *STUPID* I was to not just *PICK A DAMN DIRECTION.*

Meh, could have been worse...

Lessons learned: Sidestand picks up dandelions
Fairings are allergic to guard rails
JUST PICK A DIRECTION

Pics:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DevinWolfe/photobucket-19980-1337551687587.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DevinWolfe/photobucket-11738-1337551716733.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DevinWolfe/photobucket-14056-1337551794192.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DevinWolfe/photobucket-9294-1337551816782.jpg

DevinWolfe
May 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Well upon further review it seems I wasn't coming out of a corner, more like I was still in a very slight left curve.

Red = Direction of travel
Blue= Path of travel off of road
Green = Where I tried to turn left and slid into the rail

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/DevinWolfe/Crash.jpg

austexjg
May 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Glad your okay - the bike can be fixed. I have made a mental note to "pick a direction".

TnNinjaGirl
May 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
You know it is illegal to pick up flowers on the side of a state highway. Maybe go to the florist next time instead of crashing your bike to pick the little lady up some flowers.

Glad you and the bike are ok. Blame it on the tires so you can get the Pirellis. :)

Alex
May 20th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I've had a brainfart or two like that over the years. Looking it the layout in hindsight, either turn wouldn't be challenging at any speed the ninjette can go. But when it comes up right in front of you and you hesitate about which way to go without dropping any speed, I can certainly picture how it turned out this way.

DevinWolfe
May 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Heh, felt like a squirrel in the highway, the others behind me said they couldn't figure out which way I was going until I just went straight.

Another lesson I learned: Don't be in front of a group on a road you don't know...

str8t six
May 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Good to hear you are ok!!

How fast were you going?

it looks like you should have kept turning left?

DevinWolfe
May 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I should have, but the way the road appeared from my view was that it pulled back to the right, then I saw the yellow running left and froze. Funny thing was I continued to be lead after the wreck, I think the rest were just afraid I would dump it again. Was running almost 70, dropped to 50 or so, then couldnt decide where to go and scrubbed off to about 10 before the guard rail.

Wife took it well imo... now that I have a busted upper/nose fairing so I may be able to convince her to try my 'jette in the cul-de-sac, cuz F it, who cares if she drops it now.

Honestly though, in the curves that were marked 25 we were pulling over 50 and mostly we ran 70+, I could have *EASILY* handled either corner, but just locked up. I feel like such a dope, but I learned 2 lessons, so money well spent.

EthioKnight
May 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Glad to read you're OK man, our ninjettes are incredibly forgiving and I'm sure yours has already forgiven you for your lapse in judgement ;) Fix her up and get back on, bud.

DevinWolfe
May 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah, she was amazing for the remaining 4 hours of the ride. I really want to teach my wife to ride and this is the perfect opportunity. I am hoping something good will come of my "doh" moment.

Jiggles
May 21st, 2012, 01:54 AM
It's not that you couldn't pick a direction, you just averaged your two options like they taught you in school. Unfortunately math ****ed you over

JeffM
May 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Honestly though, in the curves that were marked 25 we were pulling over 50 and mostly we ran 70+, I could have *EASILY* handled either corner, but just locked up. I feel like such a dope, but I learned 2 lessons, so money well spent.

Once I get around them the rest of the group follows as we try to *catch up* still within my comfort zone.

My take: Too much speed (triple the speed limit??!!!) and not really in your comfort zone. Seems to me that the bike got ahead of you and you froze.

Remember:

VruWHHEnZGw

250rr
May 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
My take: Too much speed (triple the speed limit??!!!) and not really in your comfort zone. Seems to me that the bike got ahead of you and you froze.

Remember:

VruWHHEnZGw

Love that commercial. Couldn't turn up the sound, but I got the jist of it!

DevinWolfe
May 21st, 2012, 02:18 PM
My take: Too much speed (triple the speed limit??!!!) and not really in your comfort zone.

Speed limit is 55 I believe so we were only 15 over, keep in mind the 'jette's speedo error and I never saw higher than 75 indicated. The corners were marked lower and we did slow for them. We were never triple the speed limit.

I was within my comfort zone I assure you, we had just come through the Dragon where I rode MUCH slower and knew I could have gone faster, I chose not to. The Skyway is all wide sweeping turns and I was very relaxed for the entire run, even after the wreck. This is a very "ride your own ride" oriented group so I would have no qualms slowing down to run with the sweeper.

I actually had a couple seconds of engine braking thinking I was going right that I could have *actually* braked and avoided all of it. Still, no excuses, I should have reacted (brake sooner or turn) rather than lock up. Either way the obituary would read "failure to navigate a turn resulting in a loss of control."

With regard to too much speed, in the given situation, yes. I thought I had seen enough of the Skyway at that point to not get caught off guard in the middle, there was never more than one way to go. No excuses, I was wrong and I learned from it the hard way.

Will watch the vid when I get home, phone isn't too great w/ youtube.

P.S. I blame the IRCs so I'm getting Rosso IIs, I wouldn't have crashed on pirellis amirite?

TnNinjaGirl
May 22nd, 2012, 05:52 AM
RITE!!!

Thanks for manning up and admitting you crashed your bike. I know the exact location you wrecked. It's not a particularly tricky spot unless you aren't paying attention or don't have Pirelli Rosso II's. So either way it is your fault.... ;)

Seriously though, riding through the Gap and the Skyway is relatively safe at exceeding speeds. The trick is to not hit anything. Remember speed doesn't kill, it's impact that kills.

Devin, you have a positive outlook on the situation. No harm, no foul, right? Plus you can teach your wife to learn to ride and be more relaxed about the situation. Win-Win. The bike can be fixed. I'm sure your pride will heal with time.

PIRELLI ROSSO II's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe

PS: gremlin bell.....

DevinWolfe
May 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Rosso IIs are ordered, W.C.W. charges $40/wheel if I just bring the bike in so I am trying to decdecide if I should pull them off myself and save $20/wheel. Oh and hes is going to do right angle stems for $30 installed.

TnNinjaGirl
May 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Do you have stands? You can borrow some of mine if you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nemesis
May 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Slow reaction and target fixation = crash

DevinWolfe
May 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Do you have stands? You can borrow some of mine if you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do. I have a head lift for front and spool lift for the back, so I should have plenty of room to work on it with those. I am just not sure it will be worth the effort to save $40. Then again, if I save $40 I could spend that on some new cheapy adjustable levers....

DevinWolfe
May 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Slow reaction and target fixation = crash

I honestly don't think I fixated as I didn't just look at any one thing. Replaying the incident in my head I recall looking down at the ground/grass by the front tire to see when I was back on pavement. I believe I only looked at the guard rail as I came across the second section of pavement and even then I still tried to turn after slowing as much as I could.

My video was already dead 2 hours in so I have no way to be sure.

Nemesis
May 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Trust me...you fixated.

Not to start an argument or anything but most crashes happen due to target fixation. And given your circumstances/environment and description, it was mostly due to target fixation as a result of indecisiveness. Although, even if I couldn't decide which direction to go my natural reaction would be to make a turn whether I was looking at one path or the other. Just speaking from experience.