View Full Version : Tail Bag Backpack

tony7kp
May 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Anyone know of any good tail bags that can be also used as a backpack that fits the 250 well? Most likely use for daily commute to school/work. I know there are a few options for tank bag / backpack but not a big fan of tank bags. They feel like they're in the way. Any not a fan of wearing a backpack while riding. I personally don't think its very comfortable. Any suggestions?

Kipawa
May 22nd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I love my Kriega bag but cant be used as a knapsack.:thumbup:

Very secure, easy to connect and disconnect and waterproof.

Much better than when I was riding with a knapsack.

Boomstick1491
May 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I love my Kriega bag but cant be used as a knapsack.:thumbup:

Very secure, easy to connect and disconnect and waterproof.

Much better than when I was riding with a knapsack.

You and my uncle are the only people I hear use the term knapsack to refer to a backpack. That is all, Boomstick out.

Oh, and to the OP's post, I am also curious about this issue. I hate wearing a backpack every day, especially while commuting in the summer heat. Bleh!

Kipawa
May 25th, 2012, 04:38 AM
You and my uncle are the only people I hear use the term knapsack to refer to a backpack. That is all, Boomstick out.

Same difference actually! North of the border here most likely the reason! Though if you were at my mom's house she probably would have used the same term too!:D

Kipawa
May 25th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Oh, and to the OP's post, I am also curious about this issue. I hate wearing a backpack every day, especially while commuting in the summer heat. Bleh!

So Look into a Kriega, very good secure set up and very good quality! :thumbup:

http://www.kriega.us/us20-motorcycle-bag-luggage/

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57539&highlight=kriega

Boomstick1491
May 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM
So Look into a Kriega, very good secure set up and very good quality! :thumbup:

http://www.kriega.us/us20-motorcycle-bag-luggage/

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57539&highlight=kriega

What size pack do you have? 20L? 30? Here is what I carry almost every day: dress shoes, waterproof shell pants (packs down very small), waterproof shell jacket (also packs down very small), running shoes, workout t-shirt, workout shorts, and a lunch sack (like 4" x 6" x 8"). Do you think all of that crap will fit in the 20? The 30? I am so unbelievably sick of carrying my backpack, which easily fits everything, but is bulky and traps heat against my back. Ugh!

Thanks dude. I had no idea folks from America's Hat could be so useful. Of course I am kidding, I know you're not useful. That's a joke, eh, take ahff you hoser... :D

the big mike
May 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I have a tankbag that can be used as a backpack...

Mocha Man
May 26th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Step 1: Get Duct tape

Step 2: Solve your problems by taping your backpack to the tail.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/096/044/trollface.jpg?1296494117

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any crappy ideas given out on this forum, including the ones given by myself.

ShadowStalk3r
May 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM
What size pack do you have? 20L? 30? Here is what I carry almost every day: dress shoes, waterproof shell pants (packs down very small), waterproof shell jacket (also packs down very small), running shoes, workout t-shirt, workout shorts, and a lunch sack (like 4" x 6" x 8"). Do you think all of that crap will fit in the 20? The 30? I am so unbelievably sick of carrying my backpack, which easily fits everything, but is bulky and traps heat against my back. Ugh!

Thanks dude. I had no idea folks from America's Hat could be so useful. Of course I am kidding, I know you're not useful. That's a joke, eh, take ahff you hoser... :D

You might be better off with the US30. I have the US20 and I can fit about 5 books, rain suit with is about 5cm thick, water bottle, lunch box and a pair of waterproof gloves.

Kipawa
May 28th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Ya you might want the 30L. I have the 20 that is what was in the picture but I also have a 10 I can attached on top for my lunch when I take one. Or duct tape sounds like a plan!

Boomstick1491
May 28th, 2012, 06:35 AM
It's hard to tell exactly how large the bag is from the picture. I might be able to fit all of my crapola, if it puffs up a bit and doesn't rigidly maintain its shape.

I checked out the website, which seemed to indicate these bags are compatible with roughly every bike, but does anyone have experience putting these on a SS? I would like to make sure whatever I buy is forward compatible with my next bike, whatever it may be.

EDIT: I was reading the Triumph675.net forum, since I will likely replace my Ninjette with a Daytona 675, and there were several posts of the Kreiga bags on the tails of the D675. That's good news for me. Looks like I'll buy a Kreiga at some point in the near future.

ShadowStalk3r
May 28th, 2012, 05:02 PM
It's hard to tell exactly how large the bag is from the picture. I might be able to fit all of my crapola, if it puffs up a bit and doesn't rigidly maintain its shape.

I checked out the website, which seemed to indicate these bags are compatible with roughly every bike, but does anyone have experience putting these on a SS? I would like to make sure whatever I buy is forward compatible with my next bike, whatever it may be.

EDIT: I was reading the Triumph675.net forum, since I will likely replace my Ninjette with a Daytona 675, and there were several posts of the Kreiga bags on the tails of the D675. That's good news for me. Looks like I'll buy a Kreiga at some point in the near future.

It's just 2 straps that go under the passenger seats. Should fit most SS. The dimension for the 30L is 445(H) x 295(W) x 225(D) mm and 20L is 400(H) x 260(W) x 190(D) mm.

geeker
May 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'm looking at the Kriega stuff for a 600 mile road trip I want to take. So far, I'm thinking about getting the Kriega US-20 tail bag, R-25 backpack, and a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag. I'm not sure how much I can pack in 64L of space. I know my Gregory backpack is 55L and can carry my sleeping bag and pad, cookware / food, and up to three days worth of clothes. So I'm thinking since I won't be carrying any of that stuff, I could fit a week's worth of clothes and toiletries, a pair of shoes, rain gear, extra gloves, extra face shield, and chain lube. Any thoughts?

Boomstick1491
May 29th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm looking at the Kriega stuff for a 600 mile road trip I want to take. So far, I'm thinking about getting the Kriega US-20 tail bag, R-25 backpack, and a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag. I'm not sure how much I can pack in 64L of space. I know my Gregory backpack is 55L and can carry my sleeping bag and pad, cookware / food, and up to three days worth of clothes. So I'm thinking since I won't be carrying any of that stuff, I could fit a week's worth of clothes and toiletries, a pair of shoes, rain gear, extra gloves, extra face shield, and chain lube. Any thoughts?

When you're all loaded up with gear, definitely take some pictures. I am curious what your Ninjette looks like slogging along with all that swag.

geeker
May 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Will do.

geeker
June 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
When you're all loaded up with gear, definitely take some pictures. I am curious what your Ninjette looks like slogging along with all that swag.

Ordered the US-20 and the Recon 19 today. Decided not to get the R-25 backpack right now. Maybe another time. I'll post some photos when they come in.

Boomstick1491
June 3rd, 2012, 05:45 AM
Ordered the US-20 and the Recon 19 today. Decided not to get the R-25 backpack right now. Maybe another time. I'll post some photos when they come in.

Outstanding. Where did you get the Kriega gear? Did you pay full retail? I found a dude who will sell a brand new, unused Kriega US-20 for $100 plus shipping (about $7). For some reason, I am having trouble pulling the trigger.

geeker
June 3rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Outstanding. Where did you get the Kriega gear? Did you pay full retail? I found a dude who will sell a brand new, unused Kriega US-20 for $100 plus shipping (about $7). For some reason, I am having trouble pulling the trigger.

I ordered from RevZilla. Probably paid full retail, but they don't mess around with their service. I also ordered a Rev'It Airwave jacket with a Knox plate and pants combo. I ordered a pair of Held Airstream gloves and a Teknic two piece rain suit. Hopefully I'm all set for the road trip coming up.

I've found going with the lowest bidder can be trouble, soi tend to stick with companies I know can deliver. In other words, if you buy cheap, you may buy twice.

Boomstick1491
June 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
I ordered from RevZilla. Probably paid full retail, but they don't mess around with their service. I also ordered a Rev'It Airwave jacket with a Knox plate and pants combo. I ordered a pair of Held Airstream gloves and a Teknic two piece rain suit. Hopefully I'm all set for the road trip coming up.

I've found going with the lowest bidder can be trouble, soi tend to stick with companies I know can deliver. In other words, if you buy cheap, you may buy twice.

I love RevZilla. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them, so I keep going back. The guy selling the Kriega is on a different forum, so he's not a retailer. I tend to trust the guys off this forum, since they seem to be older and straight shooters. I have had good luck buying a race suit from a guy on there, but you are correct that it could be problematic.

You made a good choice on the Airwave. I have the pants and like them when I am not wearing my suit pants underneath on the way to work. I've been tempted to buy a one-piece rain suit, but haven't done that yet. I currently carry a Patagonia Torrentshell jacket and rain pants in my pack, so I can throw those on if it starts to pour.

geeker
June 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I love RevZilla. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them, so I keep going back. The guy selling the Kriega is on a different forum, so he's not a retailer. I tend to trust the guys off this forum, since they seem to be older and straight shooters. I have had good luck buying a race suit from a guy on there, but you are correct that it could be problematic.

You made a good choice on the Airwave. I have the pants and like them when I am not wearing my suit pants underneath on the way to work. I've been tempted to buy a one-piece rain suit, but haven't done that yet. I currently carry a Patagonia Torrentshell jacket and rain pants in my pack, so I can throw those on if it starts to pour.
My RevZilla order arrived today. I had some trouble trying to figure out the Kriega mounting instructions at first, but finally figured it out I think. I'm going to layout everything I need for the trip and get it packed so I can figure out how everything will ride. I took a test ride with the tank bag this evening. Fit great and didn't move. I didn't have much in there though - Just a pair of shoes, wallet, phone, hat, and extra face shield. The Airwave pants are awesome and so are the Held Airstream gloves. I haven't received the Airwave jacket yet because it was on backorder until Monday. Hope it ships quick when they get it.

Kipawa
June 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Here is how mine is mounted. Notice I used a couple of tie wraps to ensure the straps dont slip side to side and become uneven. This is very secure and have no worries about anything I put in the bag including my laptop.:thumbup:

Kipawa
June 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Oh ya when I don't need the straps just fold them up under the seat! QED!

geeker
June 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Here it is. The tail bag is mounted differently than Kipawa posted above. I'm trying to figure out how to make that work. I also use the seat cowl most of the time, so I'm not sure I could route the rear cable like that with out losing the ability to swap the seat for the cowl. For now, they are cinched around the sides of the rear frame.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8573

nycsteve
June 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Here it is. The tail bag is mounted differently than Kipawa posted above. I'm trying to figure out how to make that work. I also use the seat cowl most of the time, so I'm not sure I could route the rear cable like that with out losing the ability to swap the seat for the cowl. For now, they are cinched around the sides of the rear frame.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1011&pictureid=8573

I think I might just go with this same combo! I've been doing research but have yet to see actual pictures of these on bikes (specifically the 250). Thanks! :thumbup:

geeker
June 18th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I think I might just go with this same combo! I've been doing research but have yet to see actual pictures of these on bikes (specifically the 250). Thanks! :thumbup:

This setup worked great yesterday! I rode 550 miles from Conway, AR to Pensacola, FL. I was able to pack three days worth of clothes, shoes (although minimalist), and toiletries in the Kriega. In the tank bag, I had 1.5L of water, an extra face shield, micro fiber towel, rain jacket, small can of chain lube, two pairs of glasses, a hat, Gerber multitool, wallet, air gauge, and a means of self defense. It was ok to lay on when needed and the magnets mounted securely. All in all, a good investment.

Dragonracer76
October 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah... I'm planning on stealing your tail bag. It IS pretty sharp.

geeker
November 18th, 2012, 05:50 PM
The Recon 19 tank bag fits even better on the 300. I haven't been able to mount the tail bag yet. I'm not sure it will work yet. I may have to remove the tail plastics to attach the straps.