View Full Version : Rear brake caliper issue

sprale
December 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I just swapped out my brake pads, a five minute job front and rear. The fronts for evenly, but the rear set wore more on the inboard side. :confused:

Has anyone ever encountered this? I've seen cars with vented rotors eat all the way to the vents on one side, barely touching the other. Caliper fail?

I still have the rotor from a friend's Expedition, I'll post the pic later. :eek:

kkim
December 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
How much wear difference was there between the rear pads?

sprale
December 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
About a third left on the outside pad, almost none inside.

kkim
December 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
on my 08, the caliper piston is located on the outer side of the rear caliper. is it the same on your 07?

sprale
December 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Twin pistons front and rear, outboard of the disc. Probably no room to have them inboard...

On Toyota and Lexus cages, I've just added fresh grease to the pins, but I can't tell on these little units... :confused:

kkim
December 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
From reading the manual, the caliper holder shaft needs to be lubed.

If the body does not slide smoothly, one pad will wear more than the other, pad wear will increase and constant drag on the disc will raise brake and brake fluid temperature.

sprale
December 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
From reading the manual, the caliper holder shaft needs to be lubed.

If the body does not slide smoothly, one pad will wear more than the other, pad wear will increase and constant drag on the disc will raise brake and brake fluid temperature.

Thanks! I'll lube it this weekend. I really should get me one of those manual things. :D