View Full Version : New and stupid rider reporting...

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 07:02 AM
So I've had my bike a week today, bought after taking the course, and I've already wiped out. Basically just went too wide on a turn; since the sun was in my eyes as soon as I started turning, I couldn't see the huge chunk of pavement missing along the shoulder. Luckily it was a quiet road and only two people saw me do it, and helped me pick up the bike. Still, the left fairing is extremely scratched up with a few cracks, the turn signal is smashed, and the mirror and the handlebar are scratched. My shift lever also got twisted right around so it was OVER the foot peg. As for myself, luckily just a bruised hip, skinned knee and arm where my jacket sleeve came up, and some ripped jeans!

So yeah, VERY discouraged, and more then pissed about the damage. Should I just replace the fairing, or try to get it repaired? Cheapest I found it for is $229.52 on Mr Cycles. I've already ordered a new mirror and some better turn signals. Also, I managed to turn the lever back around with some pliers and it seemed to work perfectly when I rode the bike home. Should I get it checked out anyway? I want to be able to sell the bike eventually, and for a good price, so I'm afraid I wouldn't have much luck with all the mint used Ninjas out there unless I replace the parts.

So embarrassed... don't want to tell any of my friends, but then I can't ride until the parts come in if I want to hide it :(. Worst thing is, I'm going to sea with the navy for six weeks next Monday, before the parts would be here, so I won't be able to ride it until I get back at the end of July! :mad:

Picture 1 (http://i46.tinypic.com/2yv4b4h.jpg)
Picture 2 (http://i46.tinypic.com/o711ck.jpg)
Picture 3 (http://i47.tinypic.com/2hq877p.jpg)
Picture 4 (http://i48.tinypic.com/2jfdlk6.jpg)
Picture 5 (http://i50.tinypic.com/2l24g.jpg)

Hoodie Ninja
May 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Don't be embarrassed or discouraged. Most of us on this forum have dropped/dumped it a time or two. You need to pick the bike back up, get on it, and ride. It is the only way that you are going to get more comfortable. Trust me, I dumped mine about 2 weeks after I bought it, on a dead end street going about 2 mph (gravel). If you want to ride bad enough, you will over come your fall and be riding confidently in no time.

As for the fairing. I'm sure it looks like **** right now, but you might want to wait to replace it, just in case you dump it again (which could happen). You'll be wicked pissed if you replace it and then scuff it up again.

You pick'n up, what I'm putt'n down?

Other than that, welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I understand just leaving it for the time being, I just hate the idea of everybody who sees it asking and having to explain. Not to mention the "I told you so"s from those who thought I was crazy getting a bike in the first place. Maybe I can buff out the worst of it so it's not so noticeable. Still, it hurts me physically just looking at it! :P

Anyone have a spare sunbeam red left side fairing? Haha.

Alex
May 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
This sticky thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913) is calling you. Glad you're OK, and the bike can certainly be fixed. :thumbup:

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yep, already added my count to the first option! Oh the shame, :p.

thurt88
May 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hoodie is right. You gotta get back on. The sooner, the better. The longer you wait, the more excuses you'll come up with to not do it.

If it were me, I would just take the fairings off and street fighter it. That way if it bothers you so much, it looks like you meant to make it that way. If you crash again, its not likely to do so much damage on a street fighter.

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've thought about that, and it might actually look cool. Which ones should I take off for it not to look like a tree with half its leaves blown off? :P Just the side ones?

As for getting back on, I did get right back on to ride it home. And I plan on riding tomorrow night, as I actually have to get somewhere, and that's my best mode. Luckily I just bought a practically bomb-proof trumpet case... as long as my horn's safe, I don't care what happens to me! Bahahaha.

thurt88
May 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
First off I gotta say Im not a fan of the naked look really but a few have caught my eye.

This one on youtube, Ive always liked it but dunno why. If you click the button the vid asks you to then it will show you the guys updated version of the bike. The second version looks like a production bike :)

UUlXI_fZB9g

Mocha Man
May 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ouch. Are you ATGATT?

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Well not quite, I don't have pants yet. My knee really hurts though, so I think I'll get on that. I didn't want to buy them until I took the course and knew I really wanted to do this, but I'm going to start looking when I go down to the States on my ship next week.

Motofool
May 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I would check the front wheel for any crack or deformation form falling into that chunk of pavement missing along the shoulder.

What other people think about you or your bike is none of your business.

Get well soon!

Maelstrom
May 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that before getting back on.

trenttheuncatchable
May 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
And since you have the '09, I recommend that you put some frame sliders on it if it doesn't have them already.

Sigma.40
May 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I understand just leaving it for the time being, I just hate the idea of everybody who sees it asking and having to explain. Not to mention the "I told you so"s from those who thought I was crazy getting a bike in the first place. Maybe I can buff out the worst of it so it's not so noticeable. Still, it hurts me physically just looking at it! :P

Anyone have a spare sunbeam red left side fairing? Haha.

I don't know how bad it is, but I've gotten some nasty scratches off (or hidden) on my cage with Meguir's Cleaner Wax. It won't fix gouges, obviously but it could help some.

Maelstrom
May 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
If you look at the picture, the scratches are all mostly white, with some black splotches. Do you think it could just reduce the whiteness a little?

akima
May 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Maelstrom: don't feel embarrassed. We all make mistakes. I think there is more luck than skill involved for brand new riders. You can't gather up all the knowledge and experience of a skilled rider before ever straddling a bike. The most important thing is that your injuries are very minor and that you learn from your mistake and stick around on this sub-forum to learn from other peoples.

Fess up to your friends and confidently continue riding. That will show people your strength not your weakness.

Maelstrom
May 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Well I told my navy colleagues who are on my ship, since I was limping around and had to say something and since most of them like bikes. And, as always happens in the navy, every ship I walked on today had 2 or 3 people, some of whom I've never met, walk up to me and say "Sooo you dumped your bike, eh? ;) ;)."

Gotta love the navy grapevine and wearing name tags <.<. It was pretty hilarious actually, even had one guy offer to try repairing it for me!

PKL
May 30th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Frame Sliders are a must!!!

Everyone drops/falls once. Now it is out of the way and you can move on with your life.

Good luck! :)

Boomstick1491
May 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Well I told my navy colleagues who are on my ship, since I was limping around and had to say something and since most of them like bikes. And, as always happens in the navy, every ship I walked on today had 2 or 3 people, some of whom I've never met, walk up to me and say "Sooo you dumped your bike, eh? ;) ;)."

Gotta love the navy grapevine and wearing name tags <.<. It was pretty hilarious actually, even had one guy offer to try repairing it for me!

Duderino, sorry to hear about you dumping your two fiddy. Don't feel bad, embarrassed, or anything of the sort. I took the MSF, loved every minute of it, bought a 2008 red 250, and crashed on day TWO of riding the poor thing because I panicked when a cabbie cut me off. I posted the story here, so feel free to look it up.

The absolute best advice I can give you is to get back on it and ride as early and often as you can post-crash. I put the bike down on a Thursday night, left it alone on Friday, and took it out on Saturday morning, again Sunday, and the rest is history. And from one crash victim to another, please practice, practice, practice and be safe.

Navy people cannot help being lame, so don't sweat it ;).

Miles_Prower
June 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Patch up the damage so nothing is flapping around or anything, and ride it like that. It shows others that you have courage and determination (or to some, are just a nutter for not quitting while you are ahead lol), and it's a reminder to yourself to always be careful and aware of all sorts of conditions.

I've had a few people stare at the damage on my bike and ask if I thought about quitting. Said nope, this is one of the best things I've done in my life, and I'm not one to throw in the towel because of a few bumps along the road (no pun intended).

akima
June 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I've had a few people stare at the damage on my bike and ask if I thought about quitting. Said nope, this is one of the best things I've done in my life, and I'm not one to throw in the towel because of a few bumps along the road (no pun intended).

Motorcycles are awesome ey! :D

How many people drive to work in their car and consistently arrive with a smile on their face, not because they woke up that way, but because the journey in was so exciting and enjoyable.

How many people -- who don't ride -- get to dress up like in protective gear like an astronaut before embarking on a journey.

List continues.

Miles_Prower
June 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
How many people -- who don't ride -- get to dress up like in protective gear like an astronaut before embarking on a journey.

Exactly, cars are boring! And yes, my coworkers always call me a space man lol.
And I have to finally say it, every time i see that squirrel, i have this desire to e-squeeze you to death. so fluffin cute!!

akima
June 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Exactly, cars are boring! And yes, my coworkers always call me a space man lol.
And I have to finally say it, every time i see that squirrel, i have this desire to e-squeeze you to death. so fluffin cute!!

He he. I'm open to e-squeezing :p

It is an adorably squirrel. If I could hold it in my hands and it chose to stay there, I think I would be perfectly content to just stare at it and gently stroke it for many hours ^-^

Miles_Prower
June 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
He he. I'm open to e-squeezing :p

It is an adorably squirrel. If I could hold it in my hands and it chose to stay there, I think I would be perfectly content to just stare at it and gently stroke it for many hours ^-^

haha aww. the squirrels here aren't that cute. they're just angry rats with fuzzy tails and are very aggressive!!

mustang5.0
June 18th, 2012, 12:25 PM
i dropped the ninja twice. i havent dropped the gixxer yet..
dont sweat it.. repair and hit the road..

akima
June 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
haha aww. the squirrels here aren't that cute. they're just angry rats with fuzzy tails and are very aggressive!!

:( that's a shame. The ones here are furry balls of cute. The young ones especially... they're so vulnerable compared to their parents! I've seen one struggling to clamber up a curb, mean-while its parents are volting themselves through the air at high speed between between tree branches.

PsHYk
June 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
looks like you might be able to spray paint that fairing and clear coat and everything your self doesnt seem bad...other than the crack but fuk it...and its not embarassing **** i havent dropped mine..knock on wood...but i wouldnt be emberassed... but like i said you can try the spray paint for fun fuk it since eventually youll get new ones and as for your arm and leg i dont know where will smith got his spray on skin...ill try to google it for you :thumbup:

EvilPooMonkey
June 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
def don't feel bad. i dropped mine on the same side first day i had it, going less then a mile an hour. i was pulling in to my buddies driveway to get out of the rain and he had some oil on it and my front tire slipped and i dropped it straight down :/ a lot more careful going into driveways now :P as for getting the new fairing id like to know if our bikes are sunbeam red or passion red. i have seen oem fairings listed under both colors. just hope you get the right one :)

Maelstrom
July 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone! I don't want to seem like I'm digging up an old story, just thought I'd update. I haven't been around, because I went to sea for 7 weeks a week after I crashed, but I got back on Thursday and fixed the bike right up with parts that arrived while I was gone. I actually feel more confident after a good long break, so maybe that's a good lesson; taking a little time off (although you should get right back on the horse first). I even got myself out of a few rush-hour scrapes today.

EvilPooMonkey, the 2009 red 250 is sunbeam red, and I did get the right part, thankfully. Especially since I ordered a seat cowl as well!