View Full Version : Well ^(*%@ - a crash in the country

miss_syn
May 31st, 2012, 09:41 AM
So about two weeks ago I had a bit of a mishap.

I went offroad after trying to brake and my rear tire locked up and I apparently slid and smacked into a fence post (and not the barbed wire.)

So my front cowling and headlight are broken, the right fairing, and the clips to the left fairing. Adjuster came out and looked at the bike, also wrote up the lightly dented exhaust, exhaust hanger, brake pedal, handlebars, right lever. I thought the bike was out of alignment but it looks like the handlebar was just bent a little and it was throwing me off.

The adjuster said he wrote up the damages at $2800 and sent it to the insurance company (who is NOT getting back to me.) My question is with the damage would you buy back the bike and do the enhanced inspection? I'm a little more than annoyed because I don't really think that it should be totaled and I'd like to start riding sooner rather than later.

2010s with less than 2000 miles are going for about $3k here if I don't buy it back. I can buy the bike back at 20% of the "value" but since the insurance company isn't getting back to me, I don't know what they valued it at either.

Another idea was to keep this bike and race prep it and buy another bike. Does anyone know if it has to be registered/insured for this purpose?

Attached is a picture of Sinister trying to figure out if I was just crazy when I said I thought the bike was out of alignment.

ETA:I had a bruise on my thigh and my gear is grass stained. The paint on my helmet was all chipped up but I think that's from leaving it sit outside on rocks all the time anyway.

It was the weirdest thing because the skin on my leg felt dry/chapped until the bruise went away. I thought I had gotten road rash through my pants but it's fine now.

alex.s
May 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
its hard to tell exactly what's wrong with the bike just by looking at that single front shot view. 2800 could build you an entirely new ninja 250 from used parts though. so if you are willing to do some labour, that would easily cover everything you would need plus fancy aftermarket bolt on bling bling

riding on track doesnt require the bike to be registered or legal in any way. rumor has it occasionally police sweep the track for stolen bikes or bikes without vin numbers. but i think that sounds like bs to me. besides its not stolen anyway

my vote: keep the busted one, buy a second one, and slowly repair the busted one yourself into a sweet racebike

massacremasses
May 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
:whathesaid:

Jiggles
May 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM
You get to buy it back for 20%!?!? Wtf my insurance offered me 50%

miss_syn
May 31st, 2012, 11:49 AM
I can take more pictures later. Since there was really only damage to the front that's all I thought to take a picture of.

alex.s
May 31st, 2012, 12:21 PM
from the photo it looks like the head fairing, headlight housing, and front fairing stay will need to be replaced at least. probably around $500 oem. you mentioned the exhaust was dented, go aftermarket... maybe another $500 for a full system and jetting (its still cheaper than oem) you can buy new oem bars for about $80 i think, or get nicer aftermarket bars for around the same price.

if the forks are bent, you can get an entire front end for the 250 for under $500

akima
May 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
What kind of state did the human come out in after this countryside crash? Any repairs needed?

Sad to see a lovely red ninjette all busted up. I vote the same as alex.s. Buy it back cheap and also buy a new ninjette.

miss_syn
May 31st, 2012, 12:42 PM
I had a bruise on my thigh and my gear is grass stained. The paint on my helmet was all chipped up but I think that's from leaving it sit outside on rocks all the time anyway.

It was the weirdest thing because the skin on my leg felt dry/chapped until the bruise went away. I thought I had gotten road rash through my pants but it's fine now.

CalvinAmI
May 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM
Syn,
What speed did the impact happen?

I hope all is well and you get back to riding soon! =)

miss_syn
May 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm not actually sure what speed the impact happened at. There was freshly cut grass in the road before I crashed and I remember slowing down for that. I was maybe going 30-40 and had apparently started hard braking before I crashed.

Unfortunately I have a blank spot in my memory between starting to brake and getting up off the ground.

akima
May 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
^ concussion?

Jiggles
May 31st, 2012, 12:58 PM
^ concussion?

No, just a major adrenaline rush that makes it hard to piece things back together. Like in my crash, I had no idea I flew over my bike, I thought I hit and fell over and had no idea why my bike wasn't on top of me.

Also Tiffany, I'm super jealous you will get to keep your bike. I really wanted to keep my bike and track it but my insurance co is a bag of buttholes

miss_syn
June 2nd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Insurance agent still has not gotten back to me despite three voice mails. I might jump on another bike anyway and fix mine up on the cheap.

The priced each fairing at $400/side. I think I can do it well under their pricing.

Mocha Man
June 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Are the forks still aligned?

miss_syn
June 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
The adjuster did not believe so but I'm still waiting for the actual damages.

The forks aren't leaking.

miss_syn
June 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM
The insurance offered me $3500 for the bike with 4500 miles on. Or $2500 + the bike, which was not what the original was 20% I was quoted.

Doing a little debate, was going to try and get $3750 because I'm definitely not having any luck finding a replacement bike for that much. Plus I don't think my bike depreciated $1000 in one year. (Was a leftover 2010 that was actually assembled when I bought it) I would really be happy if they just fixed the damn handlebars and plastics but...

Jiggles
June 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I would go for $2500 + the bike

Fijilight08
June 11th, 2012, 05:14 PM
i would do the 3500