View Full Version : I crashed last weekend :).

A Tomato
June 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hi, I crashed last week on a Saturday morning. I was going to go get gas. I was going west and past the light is a Mobil station. There are two lanes. When I was going, I caught the yellow light and I went to middle lane so I can do a wider turn into the gas station. (I'm still a new rider and not comfortable with small turns yet :D). I slowed down about 7-10 mph and THINKING I was in the clear to make the right turn into the station, a person chased the light when it turned red and I DID NOT CHECK MY MIRROR OR LOOK BACK (Idiot move of me since I thought I was in the clear). He was going at least 30 mph since he tried to chase the light. So I ran into him. It all happened fast, I could of prevented it if I just looked back or at least checked my mirrors. The best part is, I had no license and no insurance :D. The even better part is the guy did not know how to speak English. I flew maybe 5 feet off my motorcycle and luckily was wearing my motorcycle jacket. No over the ankle wear so I had a deep scratch around my ankle as I slid and huge bruises on my knee caps. It was a crazy scary experience, now I am more aware (hopefully). Now, I am more concerned of fixing my motorcycle. Can anyone help me search for the broken pieces I need to fix in order to ride safely? The fairing, I don't think I can afford right now, so I am just going to have to ride it ugly like that (Popped the right signal out though and surprisingly it still works). The main concern is the back brake thing and the handle bar. I do not know what they're called. OH, and if you're wondering, no ticket was given to me because the police officer was a rider also :D. But, the law requires it to be impounded :(.

Thank you!

-A Tomato -.-

(Sorry, you're going to have to turn your heads a little because I dont know how you can rotate the photo)

Jiggles
June 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM
No insurance, no license, no gear, guess what, no sympathy. You are a fool and should never have been on a motorcycle in the first place. Before you worry about your bike, why don't you worry about the **** that matters.

A Tomato
June 10th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I had gear my friend, just no boots. I already have my license and insurance (only way to take it out from the impound). I took the motorcycle safety course before I even bought my motorcycle. I just had no time on taking the WRITTEN exam from the DMV since I had finals. Paper is not going to save me is it?

Jiggles
June 10th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Paper is not going to save me is it?

License and registration. Sound familiar?

I'm glad you've since gotten your license and insurance (I really hope its not some $80/yr 30k policy). Next up is gear. Get some boots, for real, that will save a lot of pain in the future if you happen to go down again. I doubt you were wearing riding pants without real boots so get some of those too, a good jacket, and good gloves.

Sometimes you can bend back the rear brake lever, if you can't you can still ride the bike, the rear brake isn't all that important. Not sure what you mean by handlebar, is it bent? broken? Is it the lever? Can you bend the lever back?

Jiggles
June 10th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Your handlebar is clearly bent, you can either bend it back, buy a new one, or ride the way it is

Compooky
June 11th, 2012, 07:13 AM
could have also prevented it by actually staying in the left lane to turn instead of cutting across another lane

BlackNinja8
June 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds like you learned a relatively inexpensive lesson. The price paid by motorcyclists is generally too steep to make cutting corners worth it. That includes skimping on gear and taking shortcuts while riding - not doing head checks or mirrors. Since you are new i would say you are best served by ahving your bike professionally inspected before you ride again since you may not notice a potentially unsafe symptom while riding. It will cost more than taping it back together yourself but not worth cutting corners with your safety IMO.

Not to admonish anyone for what i think is a personal choice but if you cannot afford the time or money to buy at least the minimum safety gear that you feel you want then you cant afford to ride. If u want boots or pants then wait until u get them before riding again.

Best of luck

Miles_Prower
June 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
ALWAYS turn your head, EVERY TIME. Not even a bike thing, its a driving necessity. Never assume anything. My first day on the street I didn't look and could have easily gotten run over by an SUV.
And I'm no pro, but I'd say if you can't make proper turns, you need to stay off the street and practice somewhere safe until you can. Being nervous is one thing, but not being able to turn properly is a big deal.

Miles_Prower
June 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have a green non-SE (no black/white) right fairing in near mint condition. I dunno if you want that.

you wouldn't by any chance have a front cowling or front fender would you? lol Mine got eaten.

PsHYk
June 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM
why no frame sliders? =/
maybe it wouldnt have mattered...but maybe it would have...

robertkh100
June 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
the rear brake isn't all that important.

The rear brake is important if you're on a hill, and also for emergency braking.

Jiggles
June 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The rear brake is important if you're on a hill, and also for emergency braking.

The rear brake is not important for emergency braking. While it is a useful a tool, one can safely ride a motorcycle without it

Jiggles
June 11th, 2012, 11:50 AM
So don't use it :)

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the comments. Hey trixter, yes I need the right handle bar because that's the only bent side. When I rode it from the impound it felt weird riding. I don't feel too comfortable riding it like that. For the back brake, I need the thing that holds everything. The thing that's split in half. I don't know what it's called.

Avenged7Fold
June 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
My break lever and mount broke the exact same way. I bought a new one for pre-gen for about 30 bucks from the local motorcycle recycle yard here.

Miles_Prower
June 11th, 2012, 11:55 AM
yes, however there are scratches and a crack in the fender. The cowl has some scratches on the edge. They are also still on the bike cause I am too lazy to swap them out just yet for the replacements.

hmmm is the green the same color as the 2012 green? mine has chunks of plastic missing but a new one runs 300 bucks...ouch..i'd rather just save for nice riding pants.

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
As I said "rear set" although I dont know if anything else is damaged its clearly snapped in two in the photo.

http://images.motorcycleparts2u.com/xmoto-pics-1204/mp2u043125-2012-kawasaki-ex250f-ninja-250r-right-rear-set.jpg

I just need the metal thing that holds the everything. Everything else is in pretty good shape.

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
The main concern is the back brake thing and the handle bar. I do not know what they're called.

Just look through these fiche diagrams so that you can tell us exactly what you need.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Footrests/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8490/Model/Ninja_250R_(EX250-JAFA)/GroupID/408044/Group/Footrests

As for the brake lever I recommend just ordering a set of adjustable ones from 2wheels, they are 35 bucks shipped and you can pick the colors/lengths/etc... If you want I am on my second set (the first set got a bit scratched up) and you can have the first set. Here are some pics, with a little touch up paint I don't think anyone would be able to tell.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7230/7177432981_f338638a0e.jpg http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/7177433337_5b415ae47e.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7177433655_c6b62cf585.jpg

Avenged7Fold
June 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
A member here is selling his rear set for $100
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105795

Or you could get yours welded back together I believe, if you don't mind the looks.

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks, you guys. Yes the number 35063A is what I need from
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8445/Model/Ninja_250R_%28EX250-J9F%29/GroupID/405400/Group/Footrests

35063A is the right side, right? I am getting the two confused.

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
his lever *looks* fine however his bar is not. There is certainly some confusion over the lever or bar, I may be the one confused but I think his lever is fine he just needs a new right bar.

I kind of figured that, but it does look like his lever is bent in the 3rd pic. I know its not hard to bend it back, but if his bar is a little off, he can use my levers cause they are adjustable and adjust them to work better with the slightly off bar.

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks, you guys. Yes the number 35063A is what I need from
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/50/Year/2009/ModelID/8445/Model/Ninja_250R_%28EX250-J9F%29/GroupID/405400/Group/Footrests

35063A is the right side, right? I am getting the two confused.

That is correct, 35063 is the left and 35063A is the right. If you are ever confused on the diagrams, click on the part number and look at the description, in this case STAY,STEP HOLDER,FR,R. You can also google the part # and buy it from wherever you want, but in this case thats not a bad price and will probably be your best bet. Also, I don't know if you looked at the other diagrams, but here is the one with the handlebars on it.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Footrests/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8490/Model/Ninja_250R_(EX250-JAFA)/GroupID/408480/Group/Handlebar(J9F-JAFA)

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
ahh yes, right at the end. I have a right ride it moto lever I cant use. double adjustable green/black. You can only buy em in pairs and I can only use the left. Granted it may look a bit odd to have just one double adjustable like that :)

http://rideitmoto.com/

That would work too, I just figured I would offer cause I am cleaning up all the crap in my garage and I don't need them anymore, plus it looks sexy as hell with the green. A touch of paint would make them perfect, I only replaced mine because I want it to be in pristine condition in case I have to sell mine, which I will find out hopefully this next week.

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Sup ic86, I am interested in purchasing #39058A on http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Footrests/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8490/Model/Ninja_250R_%28EX250-JAFA%29/GroupID/408480/Group/Handlebar%28J9F-JAFA%29 if you have it. I wanna see if you can hook it up with the ninjette price, if not, its cool :). Oh and is it ok if I ask how many days does Ronayers usually ship if you have ever ordered from them?

Thanks alot for the help you guys! I really appreciate it.

- A Tomato

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Sup ic86, I am interested in purchasing #39058A on http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Footrests/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8490/Model/Ninja_250R_%28EX250-JAFA%29/GroupID/408480/Group/Handlebar%28J9F-JAFA%29 if you have it. I wanna see if you can hook it up with the ninjette price, if not, its cool :). Oh and is it ok if I ask how many days does Ronayers usually ship if you have ever ordered from them?

Thanks alot for the help you guys! I really appreciate it.

- A Tomato

Unfortunately I dont have that part...is it broken, you should be able to bend it back. My suggestion was that you just install the adjustable levers so that you can place them wherever feels comfortable. You can have them, I'm not using them, and with a blip of paint they are like new. As for ron ayers, they are pretty good about shipping out fast.

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately I dont have that part...is it broken, you should be able to bend it back. My suggestion was that you just install the adjustable levers so that you can place them wherever feels comfortable. You can have them, I'm not using them, and with a blip of paint they are like new. As for ron ayers, they are pretty good about shipping out fast.

Awww, ok! It's not broken, it's just bent and I actually do not know how to bend it back lol. Do you happen to know where I can get those adjustable levers? And thanks for the help man!

lc86
June 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Awww, ok! It's not broken, it's just bent and I actually do not know how to bend it back lol. Do you happen to know where I can get those adjustable levers? And thanks for the help man!

I've honestly never had one bend, so I don't really know what to tell you there. If you can't find a way to bend it back though you might have to pay for a new one, and they are pretty pricey. As for the levers, you can order them off of ebay, the last time I ordered them it only took me 10 days to get them, or if you want my old ones just pm me your address and I'll send you mine tomorrow.

A Tomato
June 11th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Alright!

NinjaBoyEddy
June 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
:) you are a noob A Tomato.
Let me know when you get all the parts in so we can work on patching. Your abused ninjette up ;)

PS: I TOLD YOU THE FORUM WOULD HELP YOU

Malicious Logic
June 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM
could have also prevented it by actually staying in the left lane to turn instead of cutting across another lane

+1000 to this. IMO, this was 100% preventable and at the fault of the rider. Small turns aren't too difficult unless it's a u-turn. If you really have trouble with them, practice in your neighborhood/apartment complex. When I see riders in my car, I expect them to be 100% capable of handling the bike beneath them and I ride with the assumption that others expect the same from me.

MSF focuses quite a bit on low speed manuevering. If this is something you're still not comfortable with, please take the time to practice this. Obviously it's something that will be useful in everyday riding. You owe it to yourself and the other drivers on the road.